Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BJ
Steve Walters

Re: Curtis Scott free to play after NRL decides not to stand him down

Post by BJ »

Weapons expert advising on matter is too busy stockpiling guns and ammunition in preparation for impending world meltdown.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Nobody is going to look particularly good after this episode. Very regretful.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: March 19, 2020, 4:48 pm Hearing Friday, potential full hearing in July, police seeking a report from an expert in weapons training to see if police actions warranted.
That's sort of telling imo.
If even the cops are seeking some outside advice on whether their officers actions were warranted, i'd say the Scott camp are sitting on a pretty solid case

I think there is very good chance this thing gets tossed at this point, or at most, Scott's team will agree on pleas for all the who gives a **** charges like the loitering and offensive behaviour stuff, and the assaults are tossed
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott heading to court to face charges

Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott's court case is heading towards a hearing after a police expert's report backed how the arresting officers handled his arrest. The matter has been set down for a hearing on July 14-15, with a further mention date on June 16 to confirm the hearing date.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

SMH are showing some of the arrest footage on their page: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/scott- ... 54ccm.html

Looks like a lot of police concerned about his health

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Scott arrest footage emerges as lawyer argues incident could have been fatal

The lawyer of Canberra centre Curtis Scott is set to argue police could have caused "serious injury or death" with their use of a Taser as video footage of the NRL player's arrest near the SCG emerged for the first time.

In CCTV footage obtained by the Herald, Scott is shown being led away and pushed up against a paddy wagon with 12 police officers on scene. The 22-year-old is also seen in distress on the pavement being treated by paramedics, having earlier been Tasered and pepper sprayed.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/scott- ... 54ccm.html

Watch: Curtis Scott’s Australia Day arrest vision which lawyer says could have caused death: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 4d328a4a94
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Looks like some of the officers have been training with the Melbourne Storm to perfect their choke holds.
Smurfette
Brett Mullins

Post by Smurfette »

Well that footage shows... nothing.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

So the question is how come only that piece of footage was released? Where both parties are being civil and Cooperative and police showing concern? And not the actual footage of the incident?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Elcaptcroker wrote: March 21, 2020, 9:02 am So the question is how come only that piece of footage was released? Where both parties are being civil and Cooperative and police showing concern? And not the actual footage of the incident?

I think the answer is in who released the footage

22 witnesses called! Thought no one was around

1 security guard
1 taxi driver
2 paramedics
1 expert in police
And 17 police officers?
Vaccinated
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

This is not looking good for the police. For a relatively minor case (nobody was killed or seriously injured), requesting 22 witnesses to justify yourselves does not sound quite right.

If they had acted lawfully, the footage and statements from the first officers on scene would surely be enough to clear them.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Smurfette wrote: March 21, 2020, 8:22 am Well that footage shows... nothing.
Yep
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

cat wrote: March 21, 2020, 9:16 am
Elcaptcroker wrote: March 21, 2020, 9:02 am So the question is how come only that piece of footage was released? Where both parties are being civil and Cooperative and police showing concern? And not the actual footage of the incident?

I think the answer is in who released the footage

22 witnesses called! Thought no one was around

1 security guard
1 taxi driver
2 paramedics
1 expert in police
And 17 police officers?
Who told you nobody was there? :?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I think there is little doubt that Curtis Scott was in a pretty bad way on that night. His alleged behaviour prior to the incident was pretty loose. He clearly had no idea what was going on. Hopefully lesson learned.

What happened with the police during the incident seems next level ordinary.

A really regrettable evening for everyone involved.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I saw this comment elsewhere and it seems to sum it up perfectly:

"12 police to arrest a bloke sleeping it off behind a tree, and they need handcuffs, pepper spray and a tazer, the word excessive seems to fit".

Also, if the first three officers have arrived and woken him up roughly - well, I think most people jolted awake to see three people standing over them might get a bit startled and yikes-y.

He's obviously an idiot for getting that smashed, no question. But it's looking more and more like he was then the victim of some excessive force.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

surprised how many people here seem to know the details of what happened.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:surprised how many people here seem to know the details of what happened.
I'm not surprised at all and it's the same people that demand misbehaving players from other clubs be drawn and quartered as soon as there are any allegations, but our boys deserve to be left off immediately because they are good boys.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Raidersteve
Noa Nadruku

Post by Raidersteve »

Northern Raider wrote: March 21, 2020, 1:05 pm surprised how many people here seem to know the details of what happened.
All I know is that the nrl have not stood him down. If Scott had gone berserk on the cops to the point that they needed 12 to handle him then there is no way he would be playing.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

gergreg wrote: March 21, 2020, 1:45 pm
Northern Raider wrote:surprised how many people here seem to know the details of what happened.
I'm not surprised at all and it's the same people that demand misbehaving players from other clubs be drawn and quartered as soon as there are any allegations, but our boys deserve to be left off immediately because they are good boys.

Curtis Scott is an idiot. He shouldn't have been out getting drunk and I'm mighty pissed off with him about it.

But the more information that comes out about this incident, the more it's clear it's not as straightforward as it seems.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

raiderskater wrote:
gergreg wrote: March 21, 2020, 1:45 pm

Curtis Scott is an idiot. He shouldn't have been out getting drunk and I'm mighty pissed off with him about it.

But the more information that comes out about this incident, the more it's clear it's not as straightforward as it seems.
You're completely missing the point. Do I really need to spell it out for you and Cat?

Shoving it in your face since 2017
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Out of all of this I hope Scott has learned a lesson. He got himself into such a state his team mates put him into a cab to go back to their accommodation. He diverts from that and gets to a point where he falls asleep outside the SCG. Police come to move him on and he reacts to the point where taser and pepper spray are used to subdue him. A player with good footy skills appears to have a problem with alcohol. We've seen this movie before. If he learns from it he will make millions from his time in the game. Or he could go down the path of others who lacked the maturity to make the necessary changes and capitalise on their talent. Over to you Curtis - which path will it be.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Well put red, and just for the record, im backing him to make the right decision. Primarily cause i think we've got a great culture at the moment, one which has steered a few down the right path
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra star’s lawyer expects serious assault charges to be dropped by May 28

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra star’s lawyer expects serious assault charges to be dropped by May 28

Curtis Scott’s lawyer expects serious assault and resist arrest charges against the Canberra star to be dropped this week.

“The offensive conduct and the trespass, they are minor matters,” Macedone said. “The big problem was the charges against him of resisting police and assaulting police, he was never going to accept those charges. They are the ones I’ve asked the police to withdraw on the basis they won’t succeed with them anyway.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... f0e5a67305

Curtis Scott matter could be finalised this week: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/curtis ... 54pni.html
Botman
Mal Meninga

Re: Canberra star’s lawyer expects serious assault charges to be dropped by May 28

Post by Botman »

It’s certainly been trending that way for a long time.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I've had enough of his new lawyer's professionalism and competence. Bring back that first guy. He was a lot more fun.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah i liked the cut of Denuto's jib, the result was going to end up the same any which way it was sliced (legally, at least, the charges seem pretty unlikely to stick and it's felt that way since pretty early... but man he went about his business in a way i really appreciated.

Though it seemed like Denuto had put himself offside with Greenberg, so perhaps that decision might have been different
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Northern Raider wrote: May 4, 2020, 7:44 pm I've had enough of his new lawyer's professionalism and competence. Bring back that first guy. He was a lot more fun.
X1000!
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Azza
Laurie Daley

Re: Curtis Scott’s lawyer expects serious assault charges to be dropped by May 28

Post by Azza »

Stupid photocopier
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: Curtis Scott’s lawyer expects serious assault charges to be dropped by May 28

Post by -TW- »

Tray 3 I cleared tray 3 3 **** times, f3 what the **** is that

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: May 4, 2020, 7:57 pm Yeah i liked the cut of Denuto's jib, the result was going to end up the same any which way it was sliced (legally, at least, the charges seem pretty unlikely to stick and it's felt that way since pretty early... but man he went about his business in a way i really appreciated.

Though it seemed like Denuto had put himself offside with Greenberg, so perhaps that decision might have been different
Yeah, but the ride would have been much more fun :D
KasparRaider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine

Post by KasparRaider »

Even if his charges get knocked down to minor, I assume he will still get suspended by the NRL but for a shorter timeframe. Hopefully only for a few weeks.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Surely if his charges get downgraded he’s only looking at about two weeks.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Footy players have done worse than he did.
Major charges dropped.
Play on and lesson learnt. I bet it gave him a big scare and we won't see that from him again.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

KasparRaider wrote: May 5, 2020, 6:39 pm Even if his charges get knocked down to minor, I assume he will still get suspended by the NRL but for a shorter timeframe. Hopefully only for a few weeks.
I dont know that he will... I think this is going to end up being that Scott pleads to some EXTREMELY minor charges to just put this behind him and everything else is dropped with the cops running with their tail between their legs...i think it might end up being a fine, or in this current circumstance, if this **** gets dropped on the down low... the NRL might just prefer to keep sleeping dogs lie and let us handle it internally.

At this stage, id bet against a suspension from the NRL.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Neeeegz wrote: May 5, 2020, 9:07 pm I bet it gave him a big scare and we won't see that from him again.
I have some minor doubts on this... but then i know we got BJ when he had a laundry list of off field concerns and Stuart sorted that out. So hopefully.