Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by BadnMean »

gergreg wrote: February 20, 2021, 10:02 am

You've been riding Curtis since day one. Interesting to read that you have given Starling the benefit of the doubt with his incident but haven't afforded the same for Curtis - despite both cases being thrown out of court and absolutely no proof of what occurred leading up to the police arriving on the scene for either case.

Part of the point I'm trying to make (and we are just expressing opinions here, not arguing) why should the Raiders be the the 'line in sand' moments where we accept punishment from the NRL, yet six months later the NRL punishes players with a feather.

Sure it is difficult to compare different incidents that these boofheads get themselves into but the NRL clearly needs to be better. I remember saying quite a few years ago that the NRL needs to have some clear guides on what sort of penalty applies to different incidents. Like I said it is difficult because everything is different but fans, clubs and players need something to help understand how these decisions/punishments are decided upon. I think they were heading in the right direction with the 'no fault' stand down but needed to go a bit further.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Yeah as I said, the way the whole C Scott saga played out changed the way I perceived early news of Starling completely. Prior experience shapes the way we perceive and react to events- that's human nature.

I do have to balance that I'm not that excited about Scott's potential as a player- just what I've seen I think Timoko or HSS have shown more in very limited games than Scott shown in quite a few opportunities. That's not disdain though, playing talent is a separate issue for mine.

Perhaps the NRL could grade off field similar to foul play. Disrepute to the game; damage to the game, something like that. It'll always get murky though as each case gets raked over.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I think you’ve got it wrong gerg.

There is video showing Scott paralytically drunk sleeping where he shouldn’t be which clearly fits with the allegations about throwing phones at cars that I don’t believe he’s ever denied.

Starling on the other was having lunch at the pub and only got involved when the undercover police were taking his brother away and he tried to intervene. There is no ill behaviour alleged beyond the interaction with the police where all charges bar one have been dropped and he disputes the latter.

There is a clear and obvious difference.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by gerg »

gangrenous wrote:I think you’ve got it wrong gerg.

There is video showing Scott paralytically drunk sleeping where he shouldn’t be which clearly fits with the allegations about throwing phones at cars that I don’t believe he’s ever denied.

Starling on the other was having lunch at the pub and only got involved when the undercover police were taking his brother away and he tried to intervene. There is no ill behaviour alleged beyond the interaction with the police where all charges bar one have been dropped and he disputes the latter.

There is a clear and obvious difference.
I don't think the difference between the two incidents is that clear and obvious. The events leading up to both arrests were not tested or considered in court.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

From one of the early court reports it said police were responding to some bad behaviour from a young drunk guy, they thought it was Curtis but it may not have been.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Haha classic gerg, carrying on like a real gangrenous here
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

BJ wrote:From one of the early court reports it said police were responding to some bad behaviour from a young drunk guy, they thought it was Curtis but it may not have been.
You’re right. I’m sure Curtis just copped a penalty from the nrl on the basis of somebody else’s actions and never objected.

Come on people. Common sense. You’re being a real Nickman BJ
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:Haha classic gerg, carrying on like a real gangrenous here
Somebody has to raise the standard that you set around here.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

gangrenous wrote:
BJ wrote:From one of the early court reports it said police were responding to some bad behaviour from a young drunk guy, they thought it was Curtis but it may not have been.
You’re right. I’m sure Curtis just copped a penalty from the nrl on the basis of somebody else’s actions and never objected.

Come on people. Common sense. You’re being a real Nickman BJ
You’re not reading what I’m saying.

I’m NOT saying he didn’t do anything wrong and didn’t throw his phone, etc.

What I’m saying is that the early news and witness reports of a young man acting erratically, causing various different problems, general havoc and threatening various people (which is what caused police to attend the park) all these events weren’t necessarily all Curtis Scott.

There was other young drunks in the general area. Curtis Scott wasn’t the only drunk person there. He was the one police came across asleep under a tree.

I read it in the paper but I’m searching and struggling to find it online.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’m struggling to see what your point could be. That possibly other people ALSO did stupid **** at the same time that would have warranted a police call out? What’s that got to do with the price of fish?

Because Scott has repeatedly had that levelled at him, and has now had a penalty for it laid down, and he hasn’t said boo about it. There’s evidence for all to see that gels with half the story.

What are you concerned about?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’ll make it simpler for you.

You said Curtis behaviour was unacceptable and unchallenged.

I simply said that wasn’t the case that it was unchallenged.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

By him! Not by you!
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Despite Scott pleading guilty yesterday to two counts of offensive behaviour, those charges have now all been withdrawn...
I can see why people are mixed up. Scott did initially plead guilty to two counts of offensive behaviour (presumably him throwing his phone and kicking the bicycle or carrying on like a muppet). So those weren't in dispute. Were they on CCTV? Possibly I can't be bothered to search since he plead guilty.

In the end, the judge was so horrified by the "arrest"/assault on a sleeping man that they just threw it all out in disgust.

That the judge thought Scott had been out of line BUT that no further court punishment was needed- given the horrific acts inflicted on a by that stage defenceless man- is indicated by this statement
"You are clearly a smart person, Mr Scott," she said.
"You are a person on whom this experience has not been wasted and you are unlikely to repeat it. I think we can all be quite confident about that."
In other words- you've been punished enough, don't carry on like a pork chop again. Which is pretty much exactly what a suspended fine from the NRL says. In my opinion.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-10/ ... d/12651504
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Precisely
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BadnMean wrote:
Despite Scott pleading guilty yesterday to two counts of offensive behaviour, those charges have now all been withdrawn...
I can see why people are mixed up. Scott did initially plead guilty to two counts of offensive behaviour (presumably him throwing his phone and kicking the bicycle or carrying on like a muppet). So those weren't in dispute. Were they on CCTV? Possibly I can't be bothered to search since he plead guilty.

In the end, the judge was so horrified by the "arrest"/assault on a sleeping man that they just threw it all out in disgust.

That the judge thought Scott had been out of line BUT that no further court punishment was needed- given the horrific acts inflicted on a by that stage defenceless man- is indicated by this statement
"You are clearly a smart person, Mr Scott," she said.
"You are a person on whom this experience has not been wasted and you are unlikely to repeat it. I think we can all be quite confident about that."
In other words- you've been punished enough, don't carry on like a pork chop again. Which is pretty much exactly what a suspended fine from the NRL says. In my opinion.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-10/ ... d/12651504
Fair points!

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

gangrenous wrote:Precisely
Do you precisely know what the word unchallenged means?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Yes.

Got a point yet?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

gangrenous wrote:Yes.

Got a point yet?
The point is (because you can’t seem to understand it) Scott wasn’t guilty of all the things that came out in the media and from the police at the time of the original incident.

Yes we all know he kicked a bike, threw a phone etc etc.

But he didn’t do a whole lot of other things that were originally raised at the time.

I don’t know why you can’t understand this and try to make a straw man that I said ‘he didn’t do anything’.

In my opinion the ABC report and the judges comments ‘precisely’ back up my thoughts as much as yours.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BJ wrote:
gangrenous wrote:Yes.

Got a point yet?
The point is (because you can’t seem to understand it) Scott wasn’t guilty of all the things that came out in the media and from the police at the time of the original incident.

Yes we all know he kicked a bike, threw a phone etc etc.

But he didn’t do a whole lot of other things that were originally raised at the time.

I don’t know why you can’t understand this and try to make a straw man that I said ‘he didn’t do anything’.

In my opinion the ABC report and the judges comments ‘precisely’ back up my thoughts as much as yours.
They've set the bar/standard BJ. $15,000 fine, suspended for drunk in public and hurtin your big toe on a bicycle and throwing $1000 dollars into traffic (allegedly). Your move NRL. We trust you to be consistent from this point onwards.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The debate that was occurring here wasn’t over whether everything that’s ever been written about Curtis was true or not.

Gerg was saying that he shouldn’t be fined if others like Starling weren’t. BnM and I pointed out that in the case of Scott he has acknowledged/not disputed sufficient acts to justify the fine. Starling on the other hand has no acts of wrongdoing that he has not rejected - hence no penalty to now.

But I have no idea what remarking that there may have been further allegations somewhere that weren’t proven true adds to that? Unless it was a throwaway comment and not intended to be on either side of the debate?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I certainly wasn’t on either side of the debate about Starling and Scott. You jumped on that.

I was saying that Scott didn’t do all the stuff that came out in the news originally and that according to a report I read, the person/s who called the police may have over egged the situation and may have also confused the actions of multiple young drunks in the area.

I’m only making a stand on this because you were misrepresenting my views.

But maybe I understand that now, if you thought I was comparing Starling and Scott.

WHICH I certainly wasn’t.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

‘Dark places’ during police probe made Canberra Raiders star Curtis Scott consider quitting

Raiders centre Curtis Scott has admitted that he considered walking away from the NRL after he was accused of assaulting police officers.

“I wanted to throw it all in and give it away,” he said. “I felt I had nothing. The way I was treated was pretty bad. I had former players, personalities throwing me under the bus.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 447aa5b688

VIDEO: Scott’s story: Raider reflects on year from hell: Raiders centre Curtis Scott reveals the ‘dark places’ he was in following an off-field incident which affected his personal and professional life last year, and why he can’t wait for the 2021 NRL season to begin: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/05/sco ... from-hell/
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Just watched it and have to say he's a well-spoken and thoughtful young man. His remark about being 22 and still working things out is well worth considering.

I hope he has a great season. What he's gone through will have made him a lot tougher mentally.

Considering what happened to Tom Starling, I will be regarding anything that features a Raiders player, cops and violence with some bias towards the player. With luck, we won't see any such stories in future though.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

yurithe1 wrote: March 5, 2021, 10:45 am Just watched it and have to say he's a well-spoken and thoughtful young man. His remark about being 22 and still working things out is well worth considering.

I hope he has a great season. What he's gone through will have made him a lot tougher mentally.

Considering what happened to Tom Starling, I will be regarding anything that features a Raiders player, cops and violence with some bias towards the player. With luck, we won't see any such stories in future though.
I think we all learned our lesson on this one. I went from the Curtis Scott incident and basically saying "what an idiot, cops don't do that for nothing, they should throw the book at him" to the Tom Starling one... "let's just see how this one plays out"...

Always happy to admit when I'm wrong and learn from my mistakes.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Some good signs there.

I was filthy on Scott for putting himself in that situation when this originally happened, but was hopeful that it could be a turning point in his life. When all the details came out I was obviously then filthy on what the cops did under the circumstances.

After watching Todd Carney largely throwing away what could have been a wonderful career, you just don't want to see players going off the rails for off-field incidents.

I hope he replicates what Wighton did and reaps the benefits with a big year. It would be great for the team, but more importantly, it would be great for the rest of his life.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on March 5, 2021, 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

The Nickman wrote:
yurithe1 wrote: March 5, 2021, 10:45 am Just watched it and have to say he's a well-spoken and thoughtful young man. His remark about being 22 and still working things out is well worth considering.

I think we all learned our lesson on this one. I went from the Curtis Scott incident and basically saying "what an idiot, cops don't do that for nothing, they should throw the book at him" to the Tom Starling one... "let's just see how this one plays out"...

Always happy to admit when I'm wrong and learn from my mistakes.
I hate agreeing with you but that's nailed it

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Raidersteve
Noa Nadruku

Post by Raidersteve »

Has he still got a damages case against the cops or was it just that they had to pay legal costs. Are these articles his legal team trying to gain additional leverage for any damages case that might still be pending.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Nah.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Raidersteve wrote: March 5, 2021, 6:26 pm Has he still got a damages case against the cops or was it just that they had to pay legal costs. Are these articles his legal team trying to gain additional leverage for any damages case that might still be pending.
Possibly. He was awarded his legal costs to be paid already (100k+).

His lawyer has publicly said he's seeking an extra $400k on top of that and that given how things have gone so far, he "thinks NSW Police will want to sort it out".

So they'll haggle a bit behind closed doors and probably will be an extra payment in significant 6 figure ranges (half what he's asking?) or he'll pursue the civil action. Given how scathing the criminal judgement was, I'd say he's right in thinking they'll be better off making an agreement than trying their luck in court again.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/curtis ... 56pla.html
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

In my experience I would think as it is a govt department, nothing happens quickly and everything goes through their legal department. I would not be surprised if they have to go to court to get any compo.