Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BJ
Steve Walters

Re: Curtis Scott’s lawyer expects serious assault charges to be dropped by May 28

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:
Neeeegz wrote: May 5, 2020, 9:07 pm I bet it gave him a big scare and we won't see that from him again.
I have some minor doubts on this... but then i know we got BJ when he had a laundry list of off field concerns and Stuart sorted that out. So hopefully.
I’m with you Botman. I’m not sure C Scott has turned the corner. For his own sake I hope he has woken up to how short and unfulfilling an NRL career can be if you don’t get the off field stuff right.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Curtis Scott’s lawyer expects serious assault charges to be dropped by May 28

Post by Seiffert82 »

If you can't learn a lesson from getting so ****faced you lose your teammates, miss the train, fall asleep in the park, throw your mobile phone at a passing car, ultimately getting tasered by the police and possibly losing your multi-million contract for being a stupid ****, you've really got no hope.

This was never really about the police charges. It was about managing a guy that can't handle the drink.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders' Curtis Scott could have plea bargain done this week

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders' Curtis Scott could have plea bargain done this week

Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott and his lawyer are hoping for an answer to their plea bargain this week. If the serious charges are dropped, Scott will plead guilty to behaving offensively in public and trespass.

"There's an offer that I made to them that's on the table and I'm just waiting for a reply," lawyer Sam Macedone said. "If the answer's no we go to a hearing, if the answer's yes we might be able to resolve it.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... this-week/

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... d80499ee06
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If it goes to a hearing it probably wouldn’t be until October or November.
Campo88
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Campo88 »

Botman wrote: May 5, 2020, 9:15 pm
KasparRaider wrote: May 5, 2020, 6:39 pm Even if his charges get knocked down to minor, I assume he will still get suspended by the NRL but for a shorter timeframe. Hopefully only for a few weeks.
I dont know that he will... I think this is going to end up being that Scott pleads to some EXTREMELY minor charges to just put this behind him and everything else is dropped with the cops running with their tail between their legs...i think it might end up being a fine, or in this current circumstance, if this **** gets dropped on the down low... the NRL might just prefer to keep sleeping dogs lie and let us handle it internally.

At this stage, id bet against a suspension from the NRL.
There's zero chance the media let this one go quietly regardless of the outcome, the flogs will make it sound like Scott bribed them or something 🤷‍♂️
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Campo88 wrote: May 11, 2020, 7:27 pm
KasparRaider wrote: May 5, 2020, 6:39 pm Even if his charges get knocked down to minor, I assume he will still get suspended by the NRL but for a shorter timeframe. Hopefully only for a few weeks.
I dont know that he will... I think this is going to end up being that Scott pleads to some EXTREMELY minor charges to just put this behind him and everything else is dropped with the cops running with their tail between their legs...i think it might end up being a fine, or in this current circumstance, if this **** gets dropped on the down low... the NRL might just prefer to keep sleeping dogs lie and let us handle it internally.

There's zero chance the media let this one go quietly regardless of the outcome, the flogs will make it sound like Scott bribed them or something 🤷‍♂️
Careful now, your irrational parania is showing.
The "flogs" will print a small article about the charges being dropped the following day (probably at the bottom of another article drumming up what ever click bait controversy they're trying to drum up), and that'll be that.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Much as it would be much more helpful to see this tidied up now, part of me would like to see all the footage forced out, as it definitely will not be if it gets cleaned up this week with minor charges. I suspect it showed nothing NSW Police wanted the public to see.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Campo88
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Campo88 »

Botman wrote: May 11, 2020, 7:37 pm

The "flogs" will print a small article about the charges being dropped the following day (probably at the bottom of another article drumming up what ever click bait controversy they're trying to drum up), and that'll be that.
Have you seen any of the articles over the last month? The smallest mooehills are suddenly controversial mountains 🤦‍♂️
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

raiderskater wrote:Much as it would be much more helpful to see this tidied up now, part of me would like to see all the footage forced out, as it definitely will not be if it gets cleaned up this week with minor charges. I suspect it showed nothing NSW Police wanted the public to see.
BJ Mole exclusively reporting that the NSW Police don’t want the camera footage shown because they will be charged by the movie producers of the Police Academy films with copyright infringements.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Campo88 wrote: May 12, 2020, 10:08 am

Have you seen any of the articles over the last month? The smallest mooehills are suddenly controversial mountains 🤦‍♂️
And we all know Moohills are the biggest load of bull, and it shouldn't be herd. It's an udder disgrace. I could go on about it till the cows come home, but I don't want to milk it too much.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 12, 2020, 3:18 pm
Campo88 wrote: May 12, 2020, 10:08 am

And we all know Moohills are the biggest load of bull, and it shouldn't be herd. It's an udder disgrace. I could go on about it till the cows come home, but I don't want to milk it too much.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
KasparRaider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine

Post by KasparRaider »

And they are just “beefed up” charges!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: And we all know Moohills are the biggest load of bull, and it shouldn't be herd. It's an udder disgrace. I could go on about it till the cows come home, but I don't want to milk it too much.
This post was simply bovine.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

I think it’s a moo point - whether the media blow it up or not, he won’t miss a game.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

You think he's milking it?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders' Curtis Scott set to go to court

Post by greeneyed »

World will see Canberra Raiders Curtis Scott's arrest footage

Curtis Scott is set to go to court, at a date to be set in September, The Canberra Times reports. The hearing could be in November. Lawyer Sam Macedone had been negotiating with NSW Police, hoping to get the more serious offences withdrawn. But those discussions have broken down.

"I've got instructions to even brief senior counsel, that's how serious we're going to go - and all guns blazing. The two assault police and the resist arrest and some other trespass matter is being defended."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

PODCAST: Canberra Raiders fans finally get footy fix: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

PODCAST: Lets Talk with Ricky Stuart: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/05 ... ky-stuart/

VIDEO: The Canberra Raiders will be looking for their third straight win in Melbourne when they head south to meet the Storm. Matthew Elliott and Jamie Soward take an in-depth look at the Saturday night matchup: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/05/28/sto ... --round-3/

MATCH PREVIEW: Raiders V Storm: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34030

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/05 ... s-v-storm/
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

That's not great
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Raiders666 wrote: May 28, 2020, 6:20 pm That's not great
It's much to do about nothing at this stage... the court date is going to be set, but that's just formalities. It's not like they set the date and each side retires to their corner until they see each other in court.
Talks will be on going, be interesting to see what happens next for the Scott team, do they apply for to have the case expidited and get it out done asap and put the pressure back on the police to make the charges stick, or are they happy to wait it out, get the season done and then ramp up the defence.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

So how long before the footage is leaked? Odds on before or after the next hearing date?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

gergreg wrote: May 28, 2020, 7:20 pm So how long before the footage is leaked? Odds on before or after the next hearing date?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
I still don't think it will be unless NSW Police have to.

Either that, or in the week of the Grand Final.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Lawyer for axed Canberra Raiders centre Curtis Scott blames poor form on police and legal drama

The lawyer for axed Canberra Raiders star Curtis Scott has blamed his poor form on his ongoing legal dramas and police’s reluctance to drop charges levelled against him. A two-day hearing has now been set for September 9 and 10.

“It is weighing on his mind, absolutely, and I think it is affecting his performances,” he said. “You’ll see that he hasn’t really got a start the last two games and it’s because his form has dropped off.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... a9b5adca8a
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

"Police had agreed to drop five of the charges in exchange for a guilty plea to two of the non-serious offences but the deal fell over due to a dispute over legal fees."

That probably tells you how the strong the case is... which may be seen a bit differently now for this fan base than it was 6 months. Im sure some fans are hoping this will go a certain way to give us an out on the deal.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

I've always thought he had a strong case and I hope I'm right despite his poor form..
Maybe post fiasco the monkey will be off his back and he may come good...at least that's what I'm hoping for.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

It's like his lawyer seems to care more about his welfare than the average player manager.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

GreenMachine wrote: July 14, 2020, 10:31 am I've always thought he had a strong case and I hope I'm right despite his poor form..
Maybe post fiasco the monkey will be off his back and he may come good...at least that's what I'm hoping for.
I dont know if he'll ever come good, i think that will depend on how he wants to go about his football career once this is over... but there is really only one way he can go from here, form wise.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

What legal fees is there a dispute over. Would it typically be the DPP (NSW) wanting money to cover their costs? Or would it be Curtis was asking for the DPP (NSW) to cover some or all of his legal fees? Either way I think the hit to his form may end up costing him more contract money overall then paying an getting on with life.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

kona_dream wrote: July 14, 2020, 10:44 am What legal fees is there a dispute over. Would it typically be the DPP (NSW) wanting money to cover their costs? Or would it be Curtis was asking for the DPP (NSW) to cover some or all of his legal fees? Either way I think the hit to his form may end up costing him more contract money overall then paying an getting on with life.
In previous articles it was suggested Scott's lawyer requested the Police to pay his legal fees.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Botman wrote: July 14, 2020, 10:24 am "Police had agreed to drop five of the charges in exchange for a guilty plea to two of the non-serious offences but the deal fell over due to a dispute over legal fees."

That probably tells you how the strong the case is... which may be seen a bit differently now for this fan base than it was 6 months. Im sure some fans are hoping this will go a certain way to give us an out on the deal.
If he’s convicted, can we sack him without paying him the rest of his contract or incurring any hit to our salary cap? If so, I hope this occurs, purely so we can get rid of him 3 years early.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I've made my position on Scott's preseason shenanigans pretty clear, so without repeating myself, I suspect his lawyer in on the money regarding how the matter is impacting his form.

His history indicates he's highly emotional and doesn't have a great handle on his off field behaviour. His history at both the Storm and Raiders tells me he's a pretty talented athlete when things are going well, but an absolute train wreck when things go a bit pear shaped off the field.

Hopefully he keeps off the drink while he sorts himself out.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Canberra Raiders' Curtis Scott set to go to court

Post by LastRaider »

He should have never been signed in the first place. We should have retained BJ so we weren’t paying freight and gave Bateman his $800k a season.

A complete **** up!

Our only X factor scoring option at the moment is Papa, a front rower for **** sake!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

edwahu wrote: July 14, 2020, 10:46 am
kona_dream wrote: July 14, 2020, 10:44 am What legal fees is there a dispute over. Would it typically be the DPP (NSW) wanting money to cover their costs? Or would it be Curtis was asking for the DPP (NSW) to cover some or all of his legal fees? Either way I think the hit to his form may end up costing him more contract money overall then paying an getting on with life.
In previous articles it was suggested Scott's lawyer requested the Police to pay his legal fees.
I can understand that deal falling over then. Would think the prosecution only need a guilty verdict on one of those minor charges and they wouldn't be liable for his legal costs. The are obviously counting on that while Scott's legal team are backing themselves to beat all charges.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Northern Raider wrote:
I can understand that deal falling over then. Would think the prosecution only need a guilty verdict on one of those minor charges and they wouldn't be liable for his legal costs. The are obviously counting on that while Scott's legal team are backing themselves to beat all charges.
Yeah but why would you fight it? If you have a settlement which protects you as the person from prison and other disciplinary measures the money side becomes irrelevant. Its obviously affecting him so the sooner you can shut the door and move on the better

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

LastRaider wrote: July 15, 2020, 9:09 am
Northern Raider wrote:
Yeah but why would you fight it? If you have a settlement which protects you as the person from prison and other disciplinary measures the money side becomes irrelevant. Its obviously affecting him so the sooner you can shut the door and move on the better
Fighting it because they believe they can win. The plea deal was their attempt at minimising damage but assuming they felt the price was too high.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

LastRaider wrote: July 15, 2020, 8:52 am He should have never been signed in the first place. We should have retained BJ so we weren’t paying freight and gave Bateman his $800k a season.

A complete **** up!

Our only X factor scoring option at the moment is Papa, a front rower for **** sake!
Yup looking more and more like we should have concentrated on having 2 or 3 decent seasons in a row before we started focusing on a long-term succession plan.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

LastRaider wrote: July 15, 2020, 9:09 am
Northern Raider wrote:
Presumably because the prosecution have called 13 witnesses, experts etc the costs are going to be ridiculous.