Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: Curtis Scott free to play in Round 1 after NRL decides not to stand him down

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Peter wrote: March 4, 2020, 4:11 pm Who is the other player along with DeBelin who is currently stood down?
Manly hooker who allegedly stabbed someone
Peter
Jason Croker

Re: Curtis Scott free to play in Round 1 after NRL decides not to stand him down

Post by Peter »

Ah yes that’s right. Not much being spoken about that case.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: March 4, 2020, 4:13 pm
Peter wrote: March 4, 2020, 4:11 pm Who is the other player along with DeBelin who is currently stood down?
How is stabbing someone similar?!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Greenberg to make call on Scott by end of the week

Post by greeneyed »

Surlyraider wrote: March 4, 2020, 11:33 am Curtis Scott free to play for Canberra Raiders after avoiding NRL stand down

Curtis Scott's legal team is investigating whether he will be free to fly to New Zealand for Round 2 with the trip set to collide with his next day in court, after being told the NRL won't stand him down.

"I'm stoked, he is stoked. We're all very happy. It's what we were aiming for and that's stage one. I'm into stage two now, and I've got to deal with the police matters which I will get onto," lawyer Sam Macedone said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
Will be interesting if he can play Round 2...
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

greeneyed wrote: March 4, 2020, 4:16 pm
Similar to what ?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: March 4, 2020, 11:53 am Its the right move, the charges dont rise to the level for NFSD, and now Todd can sit back, feet up, wait for the facts to emerge in the courts and drop his hammer without concern of looking like a fool.

Its quite amazing it's taken this long to get here

I still expect at the end of this for Scott will likely get a pretty hefty suspension
"The NRL regards the charges as extremely serious and the Raiders have been advised Scott will face a significant penalty if found guilty of the charges."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/03/04/cur ... statement/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: March 4, 2020, 4:21 pm
Similar to what ?
Aren't we being told some fans are complaining that Curtis Scott isn't being stood down while Jack de Belin and this bloke have been?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Curtis Scott free to play after NRL decides not to stand him down

Post by -PJ- »

This is good news.

Scotty should tie one on in celebration.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

greeneyed wrote: March 4, 2020, 4:22 pm
LimeGreenMachine wrote: March 4, 2020, 4:21 pm
Similar to what ?
Aren't we being told some fans are complaining that Curtis Scott isn't being stood down while Jack de Belin and this bloke have been?
Not sure mate . Seeing some whinging but not really going into it
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Old School Green wrote: March 4, 2020, 4:09 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: March 4, 2020, 3:35 pm
Northern Raider wrote: March 4, 2020, 2:24 pm
Old School Green wrote: March 4, 2020, 1:39 pm Right decision. Discretionary stand down is a pandoras box that attempts to compare oranges and apples. Have your guidelines (offences facing 11 years plus) and stick to them; let justice take its course and then act accordingly afterwards.
It's a no brainer really. Anything else would have been madness. As it gets closer, i wouldn't be surprised to see him take a plea deal type thing; charges dropped/downgraded and he pleads guilty to some stupid misdemeanour so that the fuzz save face. Probably gets a week or so and the world moves on.
I have no special insight into the situation but my gut feel says it will pan out that way. Punishment will be a fine and/or good behaviour bond.
Yeah, it has always been shaping up as a slap on the wrist, first offence style of punishment. We'll see how it pans out. A ban from the NRL would have been astounding, particularly with the blind eye being given to other off-season assault matters.

The biggest thing to come out of this matter is how Scott responds to the incident, both on and off the field.
Agree. Everyone saw the DeBell-end situation and how it affected saints last year. Granted they are pea hearts to begin with, but the distraction factor (both for the player in our case) and the squad can be significant. I have to say he didn't look anywhere near where he needed to be for us in his trial minutes from memory. Fingers cross he fires when he does suit up.
Yeah, it was a pretty unspectacular start from him. Then again, it was pretty ordinary from a number of players.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 4, 2020, 4:36 pm Yeah, it was a pretty unspectacular start from him. Then again, it was pretty ordinary from a number of players.
Mitigating circumstance for him was our right side all playing together for the first time.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

All we need now is photos on FB of Scott celebrating chugging down Tecate and Tequila in Civic
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Whether Curtis Scott is an idiot or not I will not get into.
But it was the right decision (IMO) from Greenburg, and probably a bit courageous too.
After such a build-up and tense wait, it must have felt a bit like a back down for him.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

woppadingo wrote:Whether Curtis Scott is an idiot or not I will not get into.
But it was the right decision (IMO) from Greenburg, and probably a bit courageous too.
After such a build-up and tense wait, it must have felt a bit like a back down for him.
Agreed. It really was his only option. It's hard to claim something as a 'no fault stand down' when it's just based on somebody's opinion of an incident.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

Johno wrote: March 4, 2020, 5:09 pm All we need now is photos on FB of Scott celebrating chugging down Tecate and Tequila in Civic
Breaking bail terms wouldnt be good.

Not from a court perspective but from Ricky Stuart perspective
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'If they want a blue, bring it on': Curtis Scott's lawyer wants charges dropped

Curtis Scott’s lawyer is confident police will drop the serious assault charges against his client after the NRL cleared the former Storm centre to make his club debut for Canberra in round one.

“It’s up to the police now to consider my negotiations and hopefully we can resolve something peacefully,” Macedone said. “If not and they want a blue, bring it on. Bring it on. I’ve never had any doubt about the fact that as far as these serious charges are concerned of assaulting police and resisting arrest, they will never, ever get up.

Read more: https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/nrl/cu ... 546s8.html

Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott clear to play in season opener despite criminal charges: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-04/ ... r/12025518

Some rugby league fans criticise NRL decision not to stand down Curtis Scott: https://au.sports.yahoo.com/nrl-no-faul ... 56566.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The reaction of some rugby league fans is fairly silly... the two players who have been stood down have been automatically stood down, as the offences come with penalties well in excess of the 11 year threshold. It would have been inconsistent to stand him down, when compared to other cases.

Sam Macedone really coming out hard now in relation to the charges...
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Man... We were doing well for a bit there. Back to being professional after the vibe didn't work out. Now we're back to grandstanding.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

zim wrote: March 4, 2020, 6:54 pm Man... We were doing well for a bit there. Back to being professional after the vibe didn't work out. Now we're back to grandstanding.
That's not the takeaway ive got from this
I've seen two sort of high profile defence lawyers take this case on and both absolutely adament the charges wont stick and if they're willing to go to court to have them dismissed... my gut feel is this they are probably brimming with confidence for a reason.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I disagree, and I'll defend my position till my dying breath. You wanna blue I'm keen.
Come here a minute.
Smurfette
Brett Mullins

Post by Smurfette »

Botman wrote: March 4, 2020, 6:57 pm
zim wrote: March 4, 2020, 6:54 pm Man... We were doing well for a bit there. Back to being professional after the vibe didn't work out. Now we're back to grandstanding.
That's not the takeaway ive got from this
I've seen two sort of high profile defence lawyers take this case on and both absolutely adament the charges wont stick and if they're willing to go to court to have them dismissed... my gut feel is this they are probably brimming with confidence for a reason.
Completely agree. My first thought when the charges were revealed was “Resist arrest. Usually nonsense.” I’d love to dig up some stats on these types of offences, but they’re often ones defence lawyers are rightly very confident of giving a red hot go.

The footage in this case must look incredibly embarrassing for the police.
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

greeneyed wrote: March 4, 2020, 6:43 pm 'If they want a blue, bring it on': Curtis Scott's lawyer wants charges dropped

Curtis Scott’s lawyer is confident police will drop the serious assault charges against his client after the NRL cleared the former Storm centre to make his club debut for Canberra in round one.

“It’s up to the police now to consider my negotiations and hopefully we can resolve something peacefully,” Macedone said. “If not and they want a blue, bring it on. Bring it on. I’ve never had any doubt about the fact that as far as these serious charges are concerned of assaulting police and resisting arrest, they will never, ever get up.

Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott clear to play in season opener despite criminal charges: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-04/ ... r/12025518

Some rugby league fans criticise NRL decision not to stand down Curtis Scott: https://au.sports.yahoo.com/nrl-no-faul ... 56566.html
Could of sworn I just read another article with quotes from Scott's lawyer saying he was taking the "easy does it" approach and that jumping up and down gets you nowhere... and now he is effectively blasting the police and almost guaranteeing that their charges will never hold up in a court of law. Very interesting..

I must say judging by both of his lawyers (past and present) reactions there is no way in the world he is guilty... Or maybe they are lawyers because they are good at playing the bluff game.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Can you imagine a world without lawyers?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Azza wrote: March 4, 2020, 9:11 pm Can you imagine a world without lawyers?
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

GMGT wrote: March 4, 2020, 8:31 pm
greeneyed wrote: March 4, 2020, 6:43 pm 'If they want a blue, bring it on': Curtis Scott's lawyer wants charges dropped

Could of sworn I just read another article with quotes from Scott's lawyer saying he was taking the "easy does it" approach and that jumping up and down gets you nowhere... and now he is effectively blasting the police and almost guaranteeing that their charges will never hold up in a court of law. Very interesting..

I must say judging by both of his lawyers (past and present) reactions there is no way in the world he is guilty... Or maybe they are lawyers because they are good at playing the bluff game.
he took the easy does it approach with the nrl until Scott was cleared to play, there was nothing to gain by going head to head with Greenburg in a confrontational way, different story now with the NSW police
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

kiwi raider wrote: March 5, 2020, 7:59 am he took the easy does it approach with the nrl until Scott was cleared to play, there was nothing to gain by going head to head with Greenburg in a confrontational way, different story now with the NSW police
Correct. Greenberg playing judge, jury and executioner is a problem if you're combative with him, because he's a petty image driven man. You have to placate him to some extent.

No such problems with the NSW police, if you think the charges are bogus, flex your muscles
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Re: Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott decision not expected before next week

Post by Boomercm »

BJ wrote: March 1, 2020, 7:13 pm
Boomercm wrote:
kona_dream wrote: February 29, 2020, 8:15 am My complete speculative thoughts are Curtis Scott lawyer is "negotiating" on the charges to see how many can be dropped or changed. Greenberg is waiting to see the outcome of these "negotiations" before deciding to wait for the court case or stand down early.
Agree. There is definitely stuff going on in the background and Greenburger is waiting for that before making his decision. It could be that he wants to say "no ban", but is holding off as this may upset the Police. So he waits for them to plead it out, rather than p*ssing the cops off
So you’re saying Greenberg has actively avoided spending less than an hour watching a video and making a decision so he doesn’t piss off the cops?
No I was suggesting he'd seen it and was never going to suspend him... but was delaying this hoping they could plead/settle the case before he had to make that public.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Boomercm wrote:
BJ wrote: March 1, 2020, 7:13 pm
Boomercm wrote:
kona_dream wrote: February 29, 2020, 8:15 am My complete speculative thoughts are Curtis Scott lawyer is "negotiating" on the charges to see how many can be dropped or changed. Greenberg is waiting to see the outcome of these "negotiations" before deciding to wait for the court case or stand down early.
Agree. There is definitely stuff going on in the background and Greenburger is waiting for that before making his decision. It could be that he wants to say "no ban", but is holding off as this may upset the Police. So he waits for them to plead it out, rather than p*ssing the cops off
So you’re saying Greenberg has actively avoided spending less than an hour watching a video and making a decision so he doesn’t piss off the cops?
No I was suggesting he'd seen it and was never going to suspend him... but was delaying this hoping they could plead/settle the case before he had to make that public.
Cheers. Get you now.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 4, 2020, 9:29 pm
Azza wrote: March 4, 2020, 9:11 pm Can you imagine a world without lawyers?
until you get charged for something you didnt do.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

That article is very interesting reading. Well, I guess thats why the lawyers have been borderline cocky about this case.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: March 5, 2020, 1:49 pm That article is very interesting reading. Well, I guess thats why the lawyers have been borderline cocky about this case.
The lawyers quotes are very strong.
Basically painting this as it would be best for the NSW Police to let this sleeping dog lie, that combined with Greenberg not standing him down really strongly suggests to me there is a very good chance Scott will get out of this thing
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Matt wrote: March 5, 2020, 1:49 pm That article is very interesting reading. Well, I guess thats why the lawyers have been borderline cocky about this case.
He’s bullish isn’t he.

I’d prefer a drunk bloke having a night big out than a cop basher on our books, let’s hope there is some legitimate truth behind these claims that it isn’t anywhere near as bad as the charges made it look.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Coastalraider wrote: March 5, 2020, 2:24 pm
He’s bullish isn’t he.

I’d prefer a drunk bloke having a night big out than a cop basher on our books, let’s hope there is some legitimate truth behind these claims that it isn’t anywhere near as bad as the charges made it look.
Todd viewing the footage and allowing him to play 100% confirms it isnt as bad as the charges make out
Dont delete this GE
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Greenberg had the bunker assist in the video analysis so I place no confidence in the video proving his decision.

Scott’s legal defence is based on the touch judge raising his flag during the action.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

BJ wrote: March 5, 2020, 2:57 pm Greenberg had the bunker assist in the video analysis so I place no confidence in the video proving his decision.

Scott’s legal defence is based on the touch judge raising his flag during the action.
^^^ I agree with this.
Green-burger waved his arms, sent it 'up stairs', and while the bunker saw all the footage, they only determined the make of the phone he had