Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott decision not expected before next week

Post by Seiffert82 »

gangrenous wrote: February 29, 2020, 9:40 am I’ve got little sympathy when you bring the game into disrepute.

Don’t want the CEO to confuse the combos you’re training prior to round 1? Don’t put yourself in the position in the first place.
I agree in theory - this is on Scott's head - but it's not OK for the NRL to arbitrarily deal with similar matters quickly and then let others drag on for months.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott decision not expected before next week

Post by gerg »

Exactly Gangers. The NRL doesn't owe us anything in this situation.

Some posters on here (not mentioning any names) are quick to lay the boot into other teams players when they've done the wrong thing, but then treat our own players like victims after they have misbehaved.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Seiffert82 wrote:
gangrenous wrote: February 29, 2020, 9:40 am I’ve got little sympathy when you bring the game into disrepute.

Don’t want the CEO to confuse the combos you’re training prior to round 1? Don’t put yourself in the position in the first place.
I agree in theory - this is on Scott's head - but it's not OK for the NRL to arbitrarily deal with similar matters quickly and then let others drag on for months.
Yeah, nah. Curtis created this and then hired a **** lawyer full of bluff and bluster. You could argue that that decision has delayed the NRL decision making process.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

gergreg wrote: February 29, 2020, 11:23 am
Seiffert82 wrote:

Yeah, nah. Curtis created this and then hired a **** lawyer full of bluff and bluster. You could argue that that decision has delayed the NRL decision making process.

I've been the biggest critic of Scott and his ridiculous Hollywood lawyer from day one. If I was the club I'd be standing him down for a couple of weeks for being a ****, irrespective of the outcome of this legal circus.

On a somewhat related topic, I also think the NRL are amateur hour operators when it comes to dealing with this stuff. The "integrity unit" is basically one bloke. The way he handles decisions is based on what side of the bed he wakes up on or whether he's even in the country at the time.

It has always been a bogus process and it's not good enough for a professional sport.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Curtis Scott has brought this on himself, no doubt. I’m not going to complain about any penalty handed out, provided there’s consistency. As for the process... the NRL should be handling this a whole lot better.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

This is disingenuous. Of course he shouldn't have put himself in that position in the first place. But the CEO shouldn't be blustering and shouting for the footage by a certain date and then claiming he doesn't have time to watch it. Every other stand-down decision has been made quickly and timely - except this one.

EDIT: And claiming Scott's first lawyer caused the delay is even more so. The delay with getting Greenberg the footage was due to NSW Police, not Scott's lawyer.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

greeneyed wrote:Curtis Scott has brought this on himself, no doubt. I’m not going to complain about any penalty handed out, provided there’s consistency. As for the process... the NRL should be handling this a whole lot better.
Can't disagree Fergus

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

raiderskater wrote:

This is disingenuous.
It’s not disingenuous at all.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

kona_dream wrote: February 29, 2020, 8:15 am My complete speculative thoughts are Curtis Scott lawyer is "negotiating" on the charges to see how many can be dropped or changed. Greenberg is waiting to see the outcome of these "negotiations" before deciding to wait for the court case or stand down early.
Agree. There is definitely stuff going on in the background and Greenburger is waiting for that before making his decision. It could be that he wants to say "no ban", but is holding off as this may upset the Police. So he waits for them to plead it out, rather than p*ssing the cops off
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Boomercm wrote:
kona_dream wrote: February 29, 2020, 8:15 am My complete speculative thoughts are Curtis Scott lawyer is "negotiating" on the charges to see how many can be dropped or changed. Greenberg is waiting to see the outcome of these "negotiations" before deciding to wait for the court case or stand down early.
Agree. There is definitely stuff going on in the background and Greenburger is waiting for that before making his decision. It could be that he wants to say "no ban", but is holding off as this may upset the Police. So he waits for them to plead it out, rather than p*ssing the cops off
So you’re saying Greenberg has actively avoided spending less than an hour watching a video and making a decision so he doesn’t piss off the cops?
Zip Zip
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Zip Zip »

I've only been dipping in and out of this thread over the past few weeks, so apologies if it's been discussed, but...

Why the hell does Todd Greenberg even get to see the footage? What grounds does he have? Why is he not like any other employer in Australia?

I'm struggling to understand the reasoning here. What is the law in this instance?
"Look sorry if that came across wrong, I was just referring to the jokes we were making about all the desperate guys who chase you. Hope to catch up some time, but if not best of luck with everything."
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Zip Zip wrote: March 2, 2020, 10:58 am I've only been dipping in and out of this thread over the past few weeks, so apologies if it's been discussed, but...

Why the hell does Todd Greenberg even get to see the footage? What grounds does he have? Why is he not like any other employer in Australia?

I'm struggling to understand the reasoning here. What is the law in this instance?
He has no legal right to see it as I understand it. If the defence or prosecution refused to show it to him, he couldn't see it. That was the original problem with him not seeing the vision... he demanded it from the defence lawyer, but the NSW police/prosecutors hadn't agreed to that point.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Greenbog is in Brisbane today talking expansion and captains challenge..

When's he going to spend some time dealing with CScott ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

-PJ- wrote: March 2, 2020, 1:12 pm Greenbog is in Brisbane today talking expansion and captains challenge..

He will wait for closer to game for more impact, call me based but bo frikkin way he does this to Broncos.

We are treated like errr.......

Canberra raiders
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Johno wrote: March 2, 2020, 3:17 pm
-PJ- wrote: March 2, 2020, 1:12 pm Greenbog is in Brisbane today talking expansion and captains challenge..

He will wait for closer to game for more impact, call me based but bo frikkin way he does this to Broncos.

We are treated like errr.......

Canberra raiders
I suspect he may be waiting as long as possible so as to give the new lawyer the space to try and work some charges dropped/downgraded magic, thus making it an easier decision for him to make. It would be a bit foolish if grunberger came out and banned him, only to have the fuzz drop the most serious charges the next day etc.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

There is an article on SMH that says Greenberg has viewed it and discussed it with Macedone. He didnt sound too positive as to Todd's view of the footage.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/greenb ... 5463u.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Greenberg to make call on Scott by end of the week

Post by greeneyed »

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg to make call on Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott by end of the week

NRL boss Todd Greenberg will decide by the end of the week whether Raiders recruit Curtis Scott will be subject to the no-fault stand-down rule after meeting with his lawyer Sam Macedone early on Monday.

"We had a very robust discussion, we covered all aspects of the matter and both of us got to have a say. He is a pretty busy man, flying from place to place, I’m hoping by the end of the week we will have an answer. He viewed the footage and I didn’t question his thoughts on it. All I can do to hope now."

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/greenb ... 5463u.html
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

It will make the NRL look like more of a joke if they ban him this close to the season starting.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Neeeegz wrote: March 2, 2020, 4:29 pm It will make the NRL look like more of a joke if they ban him this close to the season starting.
History says they don't give a ****.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: March 2, 2020, 4:28 pm NRL CEO Todd Greenberg to make call on Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott by end of the week

NRL boss Todd Greenberg will decide by the end of the week whether Raiders recruit Curtis Scott will be subject to the no-fault stand-down rule after meeting with his lawyer Sam Macedone early on Monday.

"We had a very robust discussion, we covered all aspects of the matter and both of us got to have a say. He is a pretty busy man, flying from place to place, I’m hoping by the end of the week we will have an answer. He viewed the footage and I didn’t question his thoughts on it. All I can do to hope now."

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/greenb ... 5463u.html
:lol: busy man indeed. For the fourth time agreeing to make a call by the end of the week.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Seiffert82 wrote:
Neeeegz wrote: March 2, 2020, 4:29 pm It will make the NRL look like more of a joke if they ban him this close to the season starting.
History says they don't give a ****.
Not a single soul that isn’t a Raiders fan gives a crap. It won’t make the NRL look like anything.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL's call on Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott in next two days

NRL boss Todd Greenberg expects to decide on whether he'll stand down Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott in the next couple of days.

"We'll do that in the next few days - as soon as I get out of Brisbane," Greenberg said of the Scott decision. "I committed to come to Brisbane today so I'll deal with that in the next couple of days."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Danny Weidler called it "Very interesting". I think that sounds positive TBH.

I've thought all along, he did it, BUT, police didn't follow protocol, which is why his lawyers were all positive, and almost overconfident.

So, he'll get off, but not because he is innocent per say
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Per se
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: March 2, 2020, 6:10 pm NRL's call on Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott in next two days

NRL boss Todd Greenberg expects to decide on whether he'll stand down Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott in the next couple of days.

"We'll do that in the next few days - as soon as I get out of Brisbane," Greenberg said of the Scott decision. "I committed to come to Brisbane today so I'll deal with that in the next couple of days."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Of course, Brisbane comes first. They ring, Todd comes running. Raiders can wait a week. Yet. Another. Week.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Matt wrote: March 2, 2020, 6:10 pm Danny Weidler called it "Very interesting". I think that sounds positive TBH.

I've thought all along, he did it, BUT, police didn't follow protocol, which is why his lawyers were all positive, and almost overconfident.

So, he'll get off, but not because he is innocent per say
Well yes, if the arrest isn't lawful then you actually ARE innocent of "resisting arrest" and "assaulting an officer in the course of their duty" because the "arrest" was just two idiots shoving you about, as unlawful arrests or accosting members of the public randomly and however they choose to are most definitely not police duties.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Todd greedburger is the absolute pitts.. how hard is it to watch a video and make a decision.. i appreciate hes busy off flying to the superbowl and stuff, but what, the game is meant to be put on hold until he returns.. is there seriously nonone else in head office who can make a decision in the interests of the game?? if only the ceo is capable of making such a decision, then that says about all you need to know about the quality of the current administration.. bunch of jokers
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

FROG wrote: March 2, 2020, 7:53 pm Todd greedburger is the absolute pitts.. how hard is it to watch a video and make a decision.. i appreciate hes busy off flying to the superbowl and stuff, but what, the game is meant to be put on hold until he returns.. is there seriously nonone else in head office who can make a decision in the interests of the game?? if only the ceo is capable of making such a decision, then that says about all you need to know about the quality of the current administration.. bunch of jokers
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

When the no fault stand down came in it was for acts with a possible sentence of 11yrs plus gaol time, I find it hard to believe Curtis Scott is facing 11+ years behind bars if found guilty.
What's the go Greenburg?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Greenturd put in a caveat on that policy that allows him to ignore his own policy and act as judge, jury, executioner... that's the go.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

bonehead wrote: March 2, 2020, 8:41 pm When the no fault stand down came in it was for acts with a possible sentence of 11yrs plus gaol time, I find it hard to believe Curtis Scott is facing 11+ years behind bars if found guilty.
What's the go Greenburg?
That's just the automatic threshold.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

So Greenberg held off making a call on the scott situation so he could help a team who might one day get a spot in the nrl?
How much do you want to bet he holds off till Thursday when he is in Canberra, the guy has no class

Next time the NRL wants something from us Donny should remind Todd we are very busy too
Vaccinated
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

FROG wrote: March 2, 2020, 7:53 pm Todd greedburger is the absolute pitts.. how hard is it to watch a video and make a decision.. i appreciate hes busy off flying to the superbowl and stuff, but what, the game is meant to be put on hold until he returns.. is there seriously nonone else in head office who can make a decision in the interests of the game?? if only the ceo is capable of making such a decision, then that says about all you need to know about the quality of the current administration.. bunch of jokers
I don't think we've had a decent administration in place since the early 90s...
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

I think Greenberg is trying to be a little bit like the NFL commissioner, Roger Goodell. He is the one that make the calls for off field behaviour and has an NFL commissioner exempt list. The only difference is that Goodell make decisions effectively and quickly. Gathers the required information and then make a call. He even acted within a day when a player ripped the QB helmet off and hit him over the head with it, simply said you are gone for the year.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

1000%