Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Re: Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott decision not expected before next week

Post by Raider47 »

"While Scott has pleaded not guilty to the charges, sources say Canberra will seriously consider ripping up his three-year contract should he be convicted of assaulting a police officer when he fronts court again on March 20."

Interesting.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott decision not expected before next week

Post by Northern Raider »

Raider47 wrote: February 21, 2020, 3:20 pm "While Scott has pleaded not guilty to the charges, sources say Canberra will seriously consider ripping up his three-year contract should he be convicted of assaulting a police officer when he fronts court again on March 20."

Interesting.
Be aware, sometimes these "sources" have been posts on the GH. ;)
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raider47 wrote: February 21, 2020, 3:20 pm "While Scott has pleaded not guilty to the charges, sources say Canberra will seriously consider ripping up his three-year contract should he be convicted of assaulting a police officer when he fronts court again on March 20."

Interesting.
I can't see that.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

greeneyed wrote: February 21, 2020, 3:49 pm

Interesting.
I can't see that.

I read that this morning too but cant see it now , must have been edited. It was quoted from a source close to the Canberra club.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: February 21, 2020, 4:00 pm
greeneyed wrote: February 21, 2020, 3:49 pm

Interesting.
I can't see that.

I read that this morning too but cant see it now , must have been edited. It was quoted from a source close to the Canberra club.
I did read it originally in the story... but I can't see that happening.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The scuttlebutt I’ve heard is the club isn’t considering sacking him at all
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I’d be very surprised if he were sacked
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Me too.

I say we ground him. Allowed out to train and play. And any spare time is taken up by chores.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

It's pretty clear he won't be sacked. The club directly arranged decent legal representation for him, after the first bloke tactfully labelled the NRL as an organisation full of "egotistical lunatics". Real clever thing to say while a punishment is being considered.

Anyway, I read that quote too and it didn't surprise me at all. I'm pretty sure he would have been told in no uncertain terms that this little escapade is a one-off and won't be happening again while he's at the club. I'm also sure the club is working with the band of ''egotistical lunatics'' to ensure the NRL knows that the club is properly managing the situation.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Regardless of club allegiance, I am 100% not comfortable with the fact that the police changed the story to lay the seventh charge. That is really really bad. If they're willing to change the story for one thing, what else are they willing to change the story for?
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

raiderskater wrote: February 23, 2020, 11:34 am Regardless of club allegiance, I am 100% not comfortable with the fact that the police changed the story to lay the seventh charge. That is really really bad. If they're willing to change the story for one thing, what else are they willing to change the story for?
Agree, there are some worried cops right now

They thought he was just some young drunk and played tough guy, now they know they are in trouble
Vaccinated
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Almost anything.
Raidersteve
Noa Nadruku

Post by Raidersteve »

cat wrote: February 23, 2020, 12:25 pm
raiderskater wrote: February 23, 2020, 11:34 am Regardless of club allegiance, I am 100% not comfortable with the fact that the police changed the story to lay the seventh charge. That is really really bad. If they're willing to change the story for one thing, what else are they willing to change the story for?
Agree, there are some worried cops right now

They thought he was just some young drunk and played tough guy, now they know they are in trouble
I said something along those lines a few weeks ago. I feel the cops have got caught out mishandling a drunk which would have gone unnoticed had it been a Joe Average but someone In the public eye is a different story.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Totally agree Raidersteve,
Curtis looks just like a thousand other young guys out drinking, cops have had a long night and over did it with him

Cops have then realised who he was and have been trying to cover their butts ever since

Its not like he is easily identified like papa, bj or even Jack
Vaccinated
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

How will they cover it up if they have a video recording of the incident? It’s a worrying sign that they are adding charges.
He will get 6 to 8 weeks from the NRL and stuff our season around unnecessarily. Guys a clown.
Raidersteve
Noa Nadruku

Post by Raidersteve »

Riaan wrote: February 23, 2020, 3:11 pm How will they cover it up if they have a video recording of the incident? It’s a worrying sign that they are adding charges.
He will get 6 to 8 weeks from the NRL and stuff our season around unnecessarily. Guys a clown.
He will cop a punishment for the NRL for being an idiot.

As for the extra charges I suspect that it might be a reflection of my previous thoughts in that the cops were heavy handed and have been caught out. Now they might be trying cover their backsides by making it appear worse than it originally was being a drunk falling asleep in a public park and throwing a mobile phone in order to justify the actions they took.

Maybe they know that the serious charge of assaulting an officer won't stick and they want at least a couple of charges that will stick..
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Riaan wrote: February 23, 2020, 3:11 pm How will they cover it up if they have a video recording of the incident? It’s a worrying sign that they are adding charges.
Missing footage, malfunctioning equipment, covered camera etc etc

It can and often does happen
Vaccinated
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

So...anyone else now thinking Greenberg is going to wait until right before the first game to tell us if he's suspended?

This has been dragging on for weeks, and it's only two weeks away from game 1. We need to know if he's playing or not so we can sort out our combinations.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

How can she slap me sir.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Goldberg made a big song and dance about getting the footage ASAP. Now he’s ignored it for weeks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Canberra Times reporting Todd Greenberg “hasn't had time to view all of the police body-camera footage from Scott's arrest” with no decision likely until next week: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Mr Squiggle
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Mr Squiggle »

Whoever loses if it goes to trial will lose big. Should be a doozy if neither side is prepared to give.

DeBelin's trial will get plenty of coverage and the fallout from that is going to be huge as well.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: February 27, 2020, 6:40 pm The Canberra Times reporting Todd Greenberg “hasn't had time to view all of the police body-camera footage from Scott's arrest” with no decision likely until next week: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Yeah im not **** buying this
I reckon he's seen it and cant make heads or tails of which way this thing is going to go and is happy enough having splinters in his **** until something gives.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

BJ wrote: February 27, 2020, 6:35 pm Goldberg made a big song and dance about getting the footage ASAP. Now he’s ignored it for weeks.
Too many sporting events to attend.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Busy reading the Souffs "make Murray and Cook more effective" rules suggestions from Richo this week I think.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

If Todd has legitmately been too busy to see the footage then sort it the **** **** out... that's literally your job. If yoy can figure that out, step down, you're not fit for the station you hold

I dont beleive it for a second. He's a coward. No interest in standing in the fire
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:
greeneyed wrote: February 27, 2020, 6:40 pm The Canberra Times reporting Todd Greenberg “hasn't had time to view all of the police body-camera footage from Scott's arrest” with no decision likely until next week: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
I reckon he's seen it and cant make heads or tails of which way this thing is going to go and is happy enough having splinters in his **** until something gives.
Maybe NRL HQ has adopted a more measured approach after they got the Dylan Walker one wrong.
It also looks like our club is pushing for a decision by naming him this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gergreg wrote: February 27, 2020, 8:41 pm
Botman wrote:
Maybe NRL HQ has adopted a more measured approach after they got the Dylan Walker one wrong.
It also looks like our club is pushing for a decision by naming him this weekend.

Id be pushing for a decision from the NRL too, we'll get more favuourable treatment now when the verdict is is unknown.
I think Toddy is going to have to make a call re the NFSD policy on Scott before the season. And the club and player is happy to play the string out

Toddy will wait till the last minute to see how things are trending, he's an image guy. He doesnt want to look like he's **** up
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Timbo wrote:The police most certainly do set quotas for searches:

http://amp.abc.net.au/article/11960682
Quoting the ABC only detrimental to your point.

And they don't have quotas

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Face-to-face talks to decide if Canberra Raiders new recruit Curtis Scott can play Round 1

The Daily Telegraph reports that Curtis Scott’s lawyer Sam Macedone will meet Todd Greenberg on Friday, with Macedone “without a doubt” believing the video evidence shows Scott should not be stood down by the NRL. Greenberg has reportedly asked to view further security vision taken from the Sydney Cricket Ground and some taken from a taxi.

There is also speculation that the charges that originally included claims that Scott had punched and kicked at an officer could also change, with Macedone reportedly making representations to police.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... a4b23c6161
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

gergreg wrote: February 27, 2020, 8:41 pm
Botman wrote:

They didn't get the Dylan Walker one wrong. Everyone knows he did it, I'd be more interested to know how he threatened her to get her to recant. He's off on a technicality.

But I do think this one has more to it. It's clearly not straightforward at all. But I'm getting really quite mad at Greenberg. All that song and dance about demanding the footage by certain times, and now he "hasn't had time". That's ridiculous.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

dubby wrote: February 27, 2020, 9:01 pm
Timbo wrote:The police most certainly do set quotas for searches:

http://amp.abc.net.au/article/11960682
Quoting the ABC only detrimental to your point.

And they don't have quotas

But FOI releases indicate they do? The ABC is one of the few news media organisations with journalistic standards who can trusted to actually report facts. I could understand if the criticism was of News Corp media outlets... including Sky News.

Here’s another couple of reports from other news organisations: https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/nsw ... 53zmv.html

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/nsw-police- ... ota-system

I had never heard of this practice before reading this thread... but I find it disturbing.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

ABC is a leftist joke. Take their Bruce Pascoe story for example.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Oh **** off back to Sky News

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk