Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Curtis Scott breaks silence on Australia Day incident

Post by greeneyed »

Lui_Bon wrote: February 17, 2020, 11:13 pm I just find it really hard not to utterly reject an endorsement from Alan Jones.
Can’t disagree! The important part was the reported expectation of the defence that the charges will be downgraded or dropped.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I agree on Alan Jones, but Macedone does appear on 2GB. Either way Jones' opinion won't affect the outcome.
Pretty big win if we have Scott for round 1. Even if all the charges are dropped I can't see that happening.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

So we've now got Alan Jones weighing in on this? :lol: Unreal.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Not looking good if you just think back on the sheer volume of scumbags Jones has backed over the years...
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

I've said all along the charges will either be dropped or reduced, based on what I have heard (unsubstantiated just to be clear).

I trust the source, so lets see.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Good to hear Alan Jones is waving the flag to support our player.

Big hello to Get This listeners.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Lui_Bon wrote: February 17, 2020, 11:13 pm I just find it really hard not to utterly reject an endorsement from Alan Jones. Especially as he admits he actually knows nothing about it (perhaps he should read this thread).

For those of you without long memories, Jones has a history of backing people that history shows maybe he shouldn't have. I mean sportsmen.
EDIT (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Ok, so anyway, the guy is a card carrying ultra-conservative with a big skeleton in his closet.

Is that better?
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

hrundi89 wrote: February 18, 2020, 9:48 am
Lui_Bon wrote: February 17, 2020, 11:13 pm I just find it really hard not to utterly reject an endorsement from Alan Jones. Especially as he admits he actually knows nothing about it (perhaps he should read this thread).

For those of you without long memories, Jones has a history of backing people that history shows maybe he shouldn't have. I mean sportsmen.
EDIT (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Ok, so anyway, the guy is a card carrying ultra-conservative with a big skeleton in his closet.

Is that better?
Indeed :lol:
Everyone knows the deal with Alan Jones.

What i will say is what ever you think of the man (and i happen to think a whole lot about the man and none of it nice or flattering), he's pretty well connected in and around this sort of thing... if he's suggesting the expectation is that the charges will be downgraded or dropped, then that's coming from somewhere that probably knows a little bit about it, be it confidence from Macedone or some other source. So i think that bodes well for Curtis.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Every time I see/hear Alan Jones name I think back to his Balmain days. Makes my stomach turn...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott decision not expected before next week

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott decision not expected before next week, with NRL CEO Todd Greenberg in England for the World Club Challenge

A decision on Curtis Scott's immediate playing future is now not expected until next week, The Canberra Times reports.

"I think Todd's overseas this week so he probably won't review anything until he comes back - until probably next week - is my understanding," Scott's lawyer Sam Macedone said. "I hope when he does get back he'll want the pleasure of seeing me to have a talk about it. He'll then probably make a decision."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Re: Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott decision not expected before next week

Post by Brewdle »

A pooh show!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

This one man judge and jury process is a complete joke. Irrespective of the outcome of the criminal court case, Greenburger must have an idea of what sort of punishment he deems to be appropriate. Hopefully the club has been made aware by the NRL of what is likely to happen...but I doubt it.

Superbowl...World Cup Challenge...NRL 9's. Talk about holding things up for the gravy train.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

When i was at high school, Alan Jones paid us a visit and one kid pegged a tennis ball at him and got him flush on the forehead. The whole school got in so much trouble. All kids knew who threw it but no one rolled over. To think, even back in the early 90s, such was the unpopularity of this bloke that hundreds of kids were prepared to endure hours of detention rather than dob in the culprit. And perhaps more remarkably, he still appears to have some sort of following such that he remains on the air.. go figure
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Re: Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott faces NRL stand down unless he hands over video footage

Post by Boomercm »

greeneyed wrote: February 13, 2020, 2:53 pm It seems extraordinary that they have arranged to have the CEO of the NRL in to view the video footage and didn't have all the evidence on hand to show him...
The Police are, in my experience, sometimes extraordinarily hopeless. I've a few through my work, but try this personal example... my folks were victims of a quite violent break and enter a couple of years back. Made Sydney news sort of violent. During a struggle at the scene, the criminals dropped a set of keys at the home. 8 weeks later the keys were returned with other family belongings that had been collected as potential evidence. The Police believed they belonged to my family, even though were told several times on the night that the keys belonged to the criminals. Turns out on the key ring had one of the criminals mobile phone number on it. I **** you not.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

FROG wrote: February 18, 2020, 6:58 pm When i was at high school, Alan Jones paid us a visit and one kid pegged a tennis ball at him and got him flush on the forehead. The whole school got in so much trouble. All kids knew who threw it but no one rolled over.
You're all hero's and your parents should be proud.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Re: Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott faces NRL stand down unless he hands over video footage

Post by Seiffert82 »

Boomercm wrote: February 18, 2020, 7:16 pm
greeneyed wrote: February 13, 2020, 2:53 pm It seems extraordinary that they have arranged to have the CEO of the NRL in to view the video footage and didn't have all the evidence on hand to show him...
The Police are, in my experience, sometimes extraordinarily hopeless. I've a few through my work, but try this personal example... my folks were victims of a quite violent break and enter a couple of years back. Made Sydney news sort of violent. During a struggle at the scene, the criminals dropped a set of keys at the home. 8 weeks later the keys were returned with other family belongings that had been collected as potential evidence. The Police believed they belonged to my family, even though were told several times on the night that the keys belonged to the criminals. Turns out on the key ring had one of the criminals mobile phone number on it. I **** you not.
Yeah, they do an incredibly tough job, but I've had a couple of questionable experiences with them too.

That story is horrendous.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Not sure whether to laugh or shake my head at that one. Incredible.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: February 18, 2020, 7:44 pm
Not sure whether to laugh or shake my head at that one. Incredible.
My wife works in a field that has frequent interactions with police... and whilst the critical failures are rare, some of her stories when they occur are... frankly damning.
They're human, they **** up as much as the rest of us do.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I remember in NY jaywalking across an intersection/road that was completely blocked off and this bozo of a cop was at the lights on the opposite side of the road. He saw us crossing the road and he floors it and does a big fish tail stopping a few metres away from us. Mind you, I'm pushing our 2 y/o in a stroller. He leans out his window and starts abusing us for jaywalking. Man I was pissed, stupid **** cowboy - I turn around pointing at the portable barricades and I'm just about to yell back at him and my wife calmly puts her hand on my arm. We walk off un-tasered.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I once had my identity scammed and someone ran up a $10k phone bill in my name. To get Telstra to review the case, I needed a police report and a case number.

I went to my local police station and filed a report. I said to the officer, completely understand that you won’t catch this jerk but I just need to report it. No worries he says. The officer who took the report said he was filing all of his reports the following morning, and he would send me a case number by the following morning. He did not send it to me. I called the following morning, and the person who picked up the phone said they were too busy to look right now and could only handle urgent calls before ending the call. I went into the station that afternoon again, and was told the officer who took my statement wasn’t in and was off for the next three days. I said I just needed the case number. They said only the officer who took the report could give it to me. I asked if I could file the report again. They said no, because it had already been filed. But they would leave a note for the officer I talked to and he would call me when he came in. He did not. Three more calls and another trip to the police station over the next eight days and I still could not get a **** report number. Meanwhile, Telstra have a debt collector hounding me and are refusing to review the case until I can prove I’d reported it to the police. It took me walking in to the station, asking to make an official complaint to get this **** clown to walk out of the back office with a piece of paper with a report number on it, and even then he threw it down on the counter like it was a huge imposition.

I understand that not all cops are like this, but this experience really re-enforced to me the cold hard truth that the best and brightest minds of a generation do not join the boys in blue.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Timbo wrote: February 18, 2020, 8:21 pm I once had my identity scammed and someone ran up a $10k phone bill in my name. To get Telstra to review the case, I needed a police report and a case number.

I went to my local police station and filed a report. I said to the officer, completely understand that you won’t catch this jerk but I just need to report it. No worries he says. The officer who took the report said he was filing all of his reports the following morning, and he would send me a case number by the following morning. He did not send it to me. I called the following morning, and the person who picked up the phone said they were too busy to look right now and could only handle urgent calls before ending the call. I went into the station that afternoon again, and was told the officer who took my statement wasn’t in and was off for the next three days. I said I just needed the case number. They said only the officer who took the report could give it to me. I asked if I could file the report again. They said no, because it had already been filed. But they would leave a note for the officer I talked to and he would call me when he came in. He did not. Three more calls and another trip to the police station over the next eight days and I still could not get a **** report number. Meanwhile, Telstra have a debt collector hounding me and are refusing to review the case until I can prove I’d reported it to the police. It took me walking in to the station, asking to make an official complaint to get this **** clown to walk out of the back office with a piece of paper with a report number on it, and even then he threw it down on the counter like it was a huge imposition.

I understand that not all cops are like this, but this experience really re-enforced to me the cold hard truth that the best and brightest minds of a generation do not join the boys in blue.
That is poor form and you should have made a customer service complaint. Do you how long it takes to generate a report number? All of two seconds. The report doesn't need to be finished, just started, and boom - you have your report number, he can finish the report when he's good and ready, and everyone's happy.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

Finchy wrote: February 18, 2020, 8:34 pm
Timbo wrote: February 18, 2020, 8:21 pm I once had my identity scammed and someone ran up a $10k phone bill in my name. To get Telstra to review the case, I needed a police report and a case number.

That is poor form and you should have made a customer service complaint. Do you how long it takes to generate a report number? All of two seconds. The report doesn't need to be finished, just started, and boom - you have your report number, he can finish the report when he's good and ready, and everyone's happy.
That’s what a friend of mine who is a former cop told me, which is what led to me going to make a formal complaint.

He also said it’s not the only time he’d heard that specific complaint about an officer. Far from it sadly.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

The cops have a tough job, and most of the time they are awesome BUT there are many stories of them over doing it.

Gladys was interviewed the other day about the fact they have quotas to fill which must also impact on things. Including the fact they need to do a set number of searches each shift.

And the fact Todd hasn't dealt with this before he left for the UK just shows he has little man syndrome.
He could have easily made a decision before he left or had a skype conference once he landed but no he has to make everyone wait so no one can plan.
Can he play next weekend? Who knows!

I'm pretty sure Curtis will be ok BUT the wrong player waiting could end very badly
Who is the big king then?
Vaccinated
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I wonder if BigCheese has any interesting cop stories.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott hit with seventh charge over Moore Park arrest

Canberra recruit Curtis Scott has been hit with a seventh charge by police in relation to his Moore Park arrest - behaving in an offensive manner in or near a public place or school.

Scott's new lawyer Sam Macedone, who took over the case from Danny Eid, said the extra charge related to the way Scott allegedly "carried on after he was woken up".

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/scott- ... 541w8.html

Scott handed seventh charge: https://www.zerotackle.com/scott-handed ... rge-52509/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That story mentions a condition of bail is no alcohol. Also that if Greenberg stands Scott down, Macedone will aim to get the hearing date brought forward, to before the start of the season.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

cat wrote: February 18, 2020, 8:47 pm The cops have a tough job, and most of the time they are awesome BUT there are many stories of them over doing it.

Gladys was interviewed the other day about the fact they have quotas to fill which must also impact on things. Including the fact they need to do a set number of searches each shift.

And the fact Todd hasn't dealt with this before he left for the UK just shows he has little man syndrome.
He could have easily made a decision before he left or had a skype conference once he landed but no he has to make everyone wait so no one can plan.

I'm pretty sure Curtis will be ok BUT the wrong player waiting could end very badly
Source? Cops do NOT need to do a set number of searches each shift, or ever. There may be "quotas" or expectations for things they can control. Searches is not one of them.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Apparently it's a thing

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.smh.co ... 53zmv.html

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

The police most certainly do set quotas for searches:

http://amp.abc.net.au/article/11960682
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

-TW- wrote: February 18, 2020, 9:56 pm Apparently it's a thing

That's crazy. I can't believe I'm agreeing with a Greens member on something, but the quote was spot on:

"NSW Greens MP David Shoebridge, who obtained the information, said personal searches could be traumatising and were only meant to be undertaken when police were satisfied they were necessary.

"The fact that people are being stopped and searched, not to address the circumstances on the ground, but to meet arbitrary quotas, is a dreadful development," he said.

“It is particularly troubling that thousands of these quota-driven searches are in fact strip searches with all the distress and trauma that they can bring."

Strip searches, of which almost 5700 took place in the 2018 calendar year, require officers to meet a higher legal threshold than general searches, which range from a frisking to asking someone to remove outer layers of clothing.

The police spokesperson said under state law officers must hold a reasonable suspicion when executing searches.

"A search cannot be conducted if this criteria is not met,"
the spokesperson said."

Clearly these "target numbers" do exist, but I'm not sure exact figures are being given to all police units on a daily basis. Unlike say, conducting random breath tests (where anyone can be stopped anywhere anytime), a cop can't search anyone anywhere anytime, there has to be certain criteria met, which can't be controlled.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Finchy wrote: February 18, 2020, 10:10 pm

That's crazy. I can't believe I'm agreeing with a Greens member on something, but the quote was spot on:

"NSW Greens MP David Shoebridge, who obtained the information, said personal searches could be traumatising and were only meant to be undertaken when police were satisfied they were necessary.

"The fact that people are being stopped and searched, not to address the circumstances on the ground, but to meet arbitrary quotas, is a dreadful development," he said.

“It is particularly troubling that thousands of these quota-driven searches are in fact strip searches with all the distress and trauma that they can bring."

Strip searches, of which almost 5700 took place in the 2018 calendar year, require officers to meet a higher legal threshold than general searches, which range from a frisking to asking someone to remove outer layers of clothing.

The police spokesperson said under state law officers must hold a reasonable suspicion when executing searches.

the spokesperson said."

Clearly these "target numbers" do exist, but I'm not sure exact figures are being given to all police units on a daily basis. Unlike say, conducting random breath tests (where anyone can be stopped anywhere anytime), a cop can't search anyone anywhere anytime, there has to be certain criteria met, which can't be controlled.
From what i have seen around Sydney they are. The number of searches i have seen at train stations and the fact that in most cases they find nothing tells me quotas are being set and met.

Those with one of the following "looks" are being searched
- heavily tattooed and or multiple piercings
- low socio group with possible mental illness or impaired cognative function
- young and ready to party ( the curtis look)

Rightly or wrongly its happening
Vaccinated
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Finchy wrote: February 18, 2020, 9:48 pm
cat wrote: February 18, 2020, 8:47 pm The cops have a tough job, and most of the time they are awesome BUT there are many stories of them over doing it.

Source? Cops do NOT need to do a set number of searches each shift, or ever. There may be "quotas" or expectations for things they can control. Searches is not one of them.
It was on tv, interview with gladys. No I'm not going to find the exact interview.
YES cops do need to do a set number of searches
Vaccinated
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

cat wrote: February 18, 2020, 10:19 pm
Finchy wrote: February 18, 2020, 9:48 pm

It was on tv, interview with gladys. No I'm not going to find the exact interview.
YES cops do need to do a set number of searches
All good, I asked for source, two have been provided. That's all I was after.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

cat wrote: February 18, 2020, 10:18 pm
Finchy wrote: February 18, 2020, 10:10 pm

the spokesperson said."

From what i have seen around Sydney they are. The number of searches i have seen at train stations and the fact that in most cases they find nothing tells me quotas are being set and met.

Those with one of the following "looks" are being searched
- heavily tattooed and or multiple piercings
- low socio group with possible mental illness or impaired cognative function
- young and ready to party ( the curtis look)

Rightly or wrongly its happening
Reminds me of the day's when the referees tip sheets were targeting Fenno
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Finchy wrote:

the spokesperson said."

And someone earlier in this thread swore police didnt do random searches with out reason ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk