Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Re: Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott faces NRL stand down unless he hands over video footage

Post by Finchy »

Cranky Old Man wrote: February 10, 2020, 11:32 am Finchy. I stated in my post that I didn't know the girl involved. I made no claim about the reasons for the search undertaken.
The search produced a negative result, except for the charge of "assault Police" that was loudly proclaimed.
If the cops were acting outside their authority in searching her in the first place, then the "assault police" charge likely won't hold up in court. An offence of assaulting a police officer only applies if they are in the execution of their duty. If they weren't acting in the execution of their duty (they didn't comply with S.202 prior to the search), then the girl will be found not guilty and could likely sue the cops. Unless of course, there is more to the story we aren't aware of.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Ginga
Clinton Schifcofske

Re: Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott faces NRL stand down unless he hands over video footage

Post by Ginga »

If the cops were acting outside their authority in searching her in the first place, then the "assault police" charge likely won't hold up in court. An offence of assaulting a police officer only applies if they are in the execution of their duty. If they weren't acting in the execution of their duty (they didn't comply with S.202 prior to the search), then the girl will be found not guilty and could likely sue the cops. Unless of course, there is more to the story we aren't aware of.
[/quote]

That's assuming she has the financial means to effectively defend that charge
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It's so unfair: Curtis Scott's defence team can't show NRL crucial vision

Curtis Scott's lawyer Danny Eid has challenged NRL CEO Todd Greenberg to put pressure on police as a deadline to provide vision that could help the Canberra centre runs down.

"The police have told me in writing they will not permit [the vision to be passed on]. I have told the NRL by phone, 'We want your to view it. I would love you to come to my office and sit down with me and view it. But I can't.' You want him to breach legislation? It is just crazy. It is not fair."

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 73e5f35da8

Raiders likely to start 2020 without Scott

Canberra are likely to start their NRL season without summer pick-up Curtis Scott as he awaits the league's decision on whether to stand him down from the game.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/raiders-li ... 98c95162c5

Curtis Scott in legal bind as lawyer claims he's unable to provide NRL crucial footage: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/curtis-sco ... ba1bf137bf
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

This whole thing is so bizarre. Eid must be very confident the footage will clear Scott. But then why do the police feel the opposite way. :?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

IBG wrote: February 10, 2020, 2:10 pm This whole thing is so bizarre. Eid must be very confident the footage will clear Scott. But then why do the police feel the opposite way. :?
Haha, let the games begin. ;)

Eid is saying all the right things here though. Unless it comes out that he's telling porkies the NRL are in no position to take action until justice has run it's course.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Dylan’s Raiders
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

I think this entire matter is being handled very poorly handled by the NRL. As it stands, the NRL has indicated that players facing charges carrying a minimum sentence of 11 years imprisonment or more, will be stood down.

Now, the CEO of the NRL is instead wanting to review the footage to make his own determination as to whether a players conduct is deemed to be what... illegal? Unpleasant? Consistent with that old Danny boy is alleging?

If you have a policy, enforce it. A charge of assaulting a police officer is of course very serious but if it doesn’t meet the criteria to automatically stand down a player, then let the court process run its course.

Lastly, his lawyer is absolutely right in that they can’t disclose this evidence while the matter is ongoing. For example, if I was to make a right to information/freedom of information request to NSW police for the same footage, they would tell me that this cannot be disclosed at this time as the matter is currently being reviewed by the courts. The NRL body is not an exception to this.
Mr Squiggle
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Mr Squiggle »

Stand him down until his next court date or until things become a little clearer.

It has to be easier to apologise to a stood-down player who got drunk, acted like a prick but didn't break the law than it is to apologise on behalf a player who got drunk, acted like a prick and was found or plead guilty to criminal acts.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Well it’s 5:30pm now, 30 minutes past the deadline. I wonder what the result will be
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I don't get the focus on this 11 year thing. The NRL have always intervened on these matters one way or another. This 11 year thing is just a policy that makes it clear that any player charged with a serious offence will be automatically stood down.

This is still a reputational matter for the NRL. One way or another they will have something to say about it, and they will be looking closely at the club to see how they manage things.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

The 11 year thing is for court matters that havent concluded yet so that the nrl arent seen to be determining guilt. They brought it in this rule for instances exactly like this one and it’s ridiculous todd greenburg sees a need to alter it the second a non broncos case falls short of the 11 years benchmark they set
Dont delete this GE
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

He will be stood down and fair enough too. He's put himself and the club in a very difficult position even getting caught up in this whole situation. A numpty who owes the club and its fans a significant debt even before he's played a game.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Article out now that the NRL will see the video footage in the coming days .
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

simo wrote: February 10, 2020, 4:41 pm The 11 year thing is for court matters that havent concluded yet so that the nrl arent seen to be determining guilt. They brought it in this rule for instances exactly like this one and it’s ridiculous todd greenburg sees a need to alter it the second a non broncos case falls short of the 11 years benchmark they set
I'm not defending the NRL or the 11 year policy. It's all entirely arbitrary. They've always made these things up on the run.

I'm just saying that people are kidding themselves if they think the NRL are ever going to make up a rule and stick to it. They will always intervene, especially when the club isn't the Roosters or Broncos.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Azza wrote: February 10, 2020, 4:52 pm He will be stood down and fair enough too. He's put himself and the club in a very difficult position even getting caught up in this whole situation. A numpty who owes the club and its fans a significant debt even before he's played a game.
He should be stood down for his own wellbeing. Sweeping this stuff under the carpet is a one way trip to oblivion.

Either way, the team needs to put him aside for now and get on with winning games.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Channel 7 saying they have breaking news in regards to young Curtis coming up
Vaccinated
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Police have agreed to hand over footage to greenberg, his lawyer id VERY confident if viewed properly Greenberg will let him play 

Channel 7 news
Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL set to see Canberra Raiders centre Curtis Scott's arrest footage

Curtis Scott's legal team wrote to the NRL on Sunday afternoon confirming they would be able to release the footage to the NRL “in the coming days“.

It is expected Greenberg will be able to view the footage by the end of the week with no decision on Scott's playing future to be made until he has done so.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

NRL set to view crucial Scott footage: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/raiders-li ... 98c95162c5

Police agree to let NRL view Curtis Scott video footage: https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/ ... 53zhn.html

Defence lawyer says police video should see Curtis Scott free to play

Curtis Scott's legal team has convinced police to release vision to the NRL of Scott's arrest in the early hours following Australia Day. Lawyer Danny Eid says it should convince the NRL to allow Scott to continue playing.

"If this footage is considered very, very carefully, together with the facts as alleged, and more importantly, with consideration of the police legal obligations and the police powers, in my view, should ensure that Mr Scott is not stood down," Eid told Seven News.

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott's hopes of being free to debut for the Green Machine in round one have received a boost tonight. http://7NEWS.com.au @7michellebishop #NRL #7NEWS: https://twitter.com/7NewsSydney/status/ ... 7833656320

VIDEO: Curtis Scott's legal team believe the police vision from the night of his alleged incident will clear him to play in the NRL this season. #9News @9NewsSyd: https://twitter.com/9NewsSyd/status/1226775295799197698
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Seiffert82 wrote: February 10, 2020, 5:15 pm
simo wrote: February 10, 2020, 4:41 pm The 11 year thing is for court matters that havent concluded yet so that the nrl arent seen to be determining guilt. They brought it in this rule for instances exactly like this one and it’s ridiculous todd greenburg sees a need to alter it the second a non broncos case falls short of the 11 years benchmark they set
I'm not defending the NRL or the 11 year policy. It's all entirely arbitrary. They've always made these things up on the run.

I'm just saying that people are kidding themselves if they think the NRL are ever going to make up a rule and stick to it. They will always intervene, especially when the club isn't the Roosters or Broncos.
The 11 year rule is not relevant here so shouldn't be part of the conversation.
NRL can still stand players for any number of reasons if it's deemed detrimental to the image of the game e.g. Tyrone May.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Pretty reasonable of the NRL to say they want to see the vision IMO

Pretty serious charge. Todd clearly leaning on the side of stand down based on the serious allegations.
Scott’s team pretty strong in defence, so put up or shut up I guess.
Todd’s only responsibility is to protect the NRL, not be fair to some young idiot player.

Hopefully vision supports Scott’s defence and we roll on.
Grün Maschine
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Grün Maschine »

what does
"if this footage is considered very very carefully together with the facts as alleged..."

it sounds like a shoulder charge offence and the video will show the slightest amount of seperation between arm and body, clearing him of charges??
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

https://twitter.com/7newssydney/status/ ... 56320?s=21

I wasn’t filled with confidence by his lawyer to be honesty. If you consider the footage very very carefully in line with the allegations and in conjunction with the police .... blah blah blah - odd day Curtis has been bloody drunken idiot and they have found a small loophole.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Haha see you in 6 weeks curtis. It definitely sounds like theres a leg to stand on in court, but greenburg will see right through the clear bs here
Dont delete this GE
Dylan’s Raiders
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

:roflmao I have literally never been less confident in a sentence before. After hearing what his solicitor has said, he is not getting off this charge in court let alone the NRL letting him play.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Ill be stunned if the result of this is less than 10-12 weeks
If it comes in under that, then i have concerns for the police charges
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I hate agreeing with the pigbot

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I liked his lawyer character better before they rewrote his part as all measured and defeated sounding. I liked captain insano going down swinging lawyer!

Asking for careful and considered viewing, subtle understanding and a thoughtful response from an egomaniacal lunatic bully is not going to end well...
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

The term clutching at straws comes to mind.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Kramer’s lawyer in Seinfeld. “Get me one coffee drinker on that jury and I’m gonna make you a very rich man”.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Who told Scott to put the balm on?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

:lol:
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

bonehead wrote: February 10, 2020, 7:19 pm I hate agreeing with the pigbot

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
It really is the worst. But he's pretty right this time..
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

In summing up. It's the constitution. It's Mabo. It's justice. It's law. It's the vibe.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

This

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Azza wrote:Who told Scott to put the balm on?
Ahh classic.

You put the balm on? Who told you to put the balm on? I didn't tell you to put the balm on. Why'd you put the balm on?
BJ
Steve Walters

Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott faces NRL stand down unless he hands over video footage

Post by BJ »

Surely this is 100% the interaction of Scott and his lawyer.

Darn can’t get link to work.