Post by simo »

Lawyers very much on the attack
Dont delete this GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott arrested after Moore Park incident

Post by greeneyed »

simo wrote: January 31, 2020, 10:27 am
Botman wrote: January 31, 2020, 10:19 am It's interesting that he's plead not guilty... wonder if they actually intend to defend him against the charges, or if this is just a stalling tactic aimed at seeing what the NRL do.

I was pretty loud about how i thought this would be a straight forward guilty plea, get the slap on the wrist and get the NRL ruling asap, but clearly i got that one wrong.
After the jack wighton not guilty plea, this is interesting. Have they seen the vision at this stage?
The defence lawyers say they will use this vision in the defence, so expect so.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

If the lawyers have seen the body cam vision they must be confident that he can get off otherwise they would advise Scott to plead guilty to have a greater chance of a lighter sentence .
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: January 31, 2020, 11:25 am If the lawyers have seen the body cam vision they must be confident that he can get off otherwise they would advise Scott to plead guilty to have a greater chance of a lighter sentence .
Yeah, its not overly clear if they've seen the footage or simply claiming the footage will corroborate their version of event. On the flip side if the footage showed misconduct by police then why would they press on with the charges. Who knows?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Either way, I hope this isnt a distraction for the team.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Makaveli wrote: January 31, 2020, 11:34 am Either way, I hope this isnt a distraction for the team.
Impossible for it not to be. At least its only pre-season training. Distractions like this are soon forgotten when you're doing beep tests.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: January 31, 2020, 11:09 am
simo wrote: January 31, 2020, 10:27 am
Botman wrote: January 31, 2020, 10:19 am It's interesting that he's plead not guilty... wonder if they actually intend to defend him against the charges, or if this is just a stalling tactic aimed at seeing what the NRL do.

I was pretty loud about how i thought this would be a straight forward guilty plea, get the slap on the wrist and get the NRL ruling asap, but clearly i got that one wrong.
After the jack wighton not guilty plea, this is interesting. Have they seen the vision at this stage?
The defence lawyers say they will use this vision in the defence, so expect so.
Hmmm interesting development
Dylan’s Raiders
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Thought I would give my two cents as a lawyer (albeit not criminal) themselves.

His solicitor has 100% seen the footage and would undoubtably hold copies of all evidence the police has in their possession. They’re entitled to review the evidence prior to entering a plea.

As to whether it is a tactic (such as Wighton) remains to be seen. I’m hopeful that the evidence is supportive of his case but I do hold some concerns... whenever solicitors who run their own firm get a chance to represent someone high - I always have a thought in the back of my head that they will do whatever they can to get as much coverage as possible (I’ve worked at that many boutique firms and media coverage is obviously so good for business).

In any event, I am very eager as to what Greenberg does with Scott next week
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Does mean this will drag on for some time.

I expect however, he won't face any sanctions just yet. This is not what the no-fault stand down policy was brought in for. It was so that a player facing serious criminal charges is not playing and in the case of De Belin potentially playing Origin, Tests and winning premierships whilst a considerable body of evidence is put together for a criminal trial that might be 12-18 months away where he could be facing a decade in prison. (or absolutely nothing if he is not guilty) It was not to stop a player facing relatively minor charges which one would expect will be resolved over the next few months and result in a fine and good behaviour bond.

Unless the NRL run the rule that he shouldn't have been drunk enough to get into that position - which is no doubt true but unlikely to get a suspension, because they don't tend to punish players twice for the same incident.

They will want to keep their powder dry for when the court case is complete.
Last edited by Bay53 on January 31, 2020, 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: January 31, 2020, 11:58 am Thought I would give my two cents as a lawyer (albeit not criminal) themselves.

His solicitor has 100% seen the footage and would undoubtably hold copies of all evidence the police has in their possession. They’re entitled to review the evidence prior to entering a plea.

As to whether it is a tactic (such as Wighton) remains to be seen. I’m hopeful that the evidence is supportive of his case but I do hold some concerns... whenever solicitors who run their own firm get a chance to represent someone high - I always have a thought in the back of my head that they will do whatever they can to get as much coverage as possible (I’ve worked at that many boutique firms and media coverage is obviously so good for business).

Thanks for the perspective. That's a very interesting point.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: January 31, 2020, 12:03 pm
Dylan’s Raiders wrote: January 31, 2020, 11:58 am Thought I would give my two cents as a lawyer (albeit not criminal) themselves.

Potential for a Chewbacca Defense to come into play?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: January 31, 2020, 12:09 pm

It does not make sense!
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Good post. I think most of us didn't expect they would fight the charges.

We didn't think he had a leg to stand on - which ironically is what got him into this mess in the first place!!
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I have always thought that Curtis was just doing some visualisation of winning the Grand Final for the Raiders at the SCG. He laid down on the grass next to the ground and was in such a fixated trance visualising running down the wing to score the winning try, that anyone who was to wake him at that point would be seen as a defender trying to take away his premiership dream and therefore needed to be fended off!!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Bay53 wrote: January 31, 2020, 12:13 pm I have always thought that Curtis was just doing some visualisation of winning the Grand Final for the Raiders at the SCG. He laid down on the grass next to the ground and was in such a fixated trance visualising running down the wing to score the winning try, that anyone who was to wake him at that point would be seen as a defender trying to take away his premiership dream and therefore needed to be fended off!!
Might have been visualising Dylan Walker.
KasparRaider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine

Post by KasparRaider »

Botman wrote: January 31, 2020, 12:10 pm

It does not make sense!
I don’t mean to judge, (No pun intended),
but has anyone ever heard of Danny Eid before now? Check out his offices, operating on top of a suburban shop in Dulwich Hill. It is like a scene from The Castle. I hope he is better than Danny Denuto! I doubt he is one of Sydney‘s top silks...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Curtis Scott pleads not guilty to charges from incident with police, next hearing on 20 March

Canberra centre Curtis Scott has pleaded not guilty to six charges in court on Friday following his arrest after an incident with police in the early hours of Monday morning. His case is next due for mention at the Downing Centre on March 20.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/31/cur ... th-police/
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

20th March Curtis should be in Auckland....
Vaccinated
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

Seiffert82 wrote:Let's be clear here. I've banged on about this issue way too much. I hate people dismissing it, or making light of it, or making excuses for him.

I've seen the club I love being dragged through the mud for over a decade because of incidents like these. It really, really, really makes me upset.

I also have genuine concerns for Curtis Scott as a human being. He needs help. The club reached out to him to get him on the right track, and within a couple of months he has been tasered and arrested, after throwing away his mobile phone. He needs to sort himself out and he doesn't need to drag the club or his teammates through this journey. Seriously...
Agree with everything you've said.

Here is some context. Try and consider ANY other profession that would have an employee of a company act in this manner that results in charges of assaulting police. And imagine that the media calls the assailant "an employee of [insert company]", therefore publicly identifying the company they work for.

Now imagine ANY company in ANY industry that would NOT immediately terminate said employee for the reproach brought upon their brand.

Simple as that AFAIC

However as its an NRL player, we hear
'he's only human'
'let's hear his side first'
'he just needs some help'
'this could be a really good redemption story'
'we've all been there'
'just get the coach to give him a good talking to'
'innocent until proven guilty'

No wonder the culture of rugby league has such a rubbish reputation.

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Curtis Scott free to train after not-guilty plea, with Canberra Raiders opting not to impose any club sanctions

Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott is free to return to training with the NRL club opting not to impose any sanctions following his "not guilty" plea on Friday. He is expected to return to training next week, but Todd Greenberg may yet opt to use his discretion to stand Scott down under the NRL "no fault" policy after next Thursday's ARLC meeting. Scott's charges are not serious enough to be subject to the NRL's automatic stand down.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

VIDEO: Troubled Canberra Raiders rising star Curtis Scott today pled not guilty to assaulting two police officers after boozy Australia Day celebrations. | @10NewsFirstSyd @SydneyPead: https://twitter.com/10NewsFirstSyd/stat ... 5066386432
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

KasparRaider wrote:
Botman wrote: January 31, 2020, 12:10 pm

It does not make sense!
I don’t mean to judge, (No pun intended),
but has anyone ever heard of Danny Eid before now? Check out his offices, operating on top of a suburban shop in Dulwich Hill. It is like a scene from The Castle. I hope he is better than Danny Denuto! I doubt he is one of Sydney‘s top silks...
ImageImageImage

Operating above a shop in Dulwich Hill is such a good mental image. Make it Marrickville and it's totally Dennis Denuto

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

greeneyed wrote: January 31, 2020, 4:07 pm Curtis Scott free to train after not-guilty plea, with Canberra Raiders opting not to impose any club sanctions

Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott is free to return to training with the NRL club opting not to impose any sanctions following his "not guilty" plea on Friday. He is expected to return to training next week, but Todd Greenberg may yet opt to use his discretion to stand Scott down under the NRL "no fault" policy after next Thursday's ARLC meeting. Scott's charges are not serious enough to be subject to the NRL's automatic stand down.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Tyronne May got 300hrs community service today after being stood down all year, interesting to see what impact that has on the NRL with curtis , reynolds and sivo
Vaccinated
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: January 30, 2020, 8:03 pm
RedRaider wrote: January 30, 2020, 7:52 pm I haven't read through the entire thread, but once the legal process is complete, I hope Sticky looks into why CS went out with a bunch of Raider players and ended up on his own. Did he simply kick on when the others called 'time'? Was he being a jerk and he put everyone offside?? I don't expect the outcome to be made public, but given his history, it's something the coach will probably want to know.

As for us fans, we await the outcome of the court case tomorrow. After the highs of last year this is a disappointing start to 2020.
viewtopic.php?p=1715663#p1715604
Thanks GE. The report in the Daily Telegraph was written by Paul Crawley and I have no reason to doubt it. Only it does not name any players who put CS into a cab. It uses the sentence "It is understood teammates had helped Scott into a cab to send him back to the hotel where the group were staying." That would infer this is all on CS for not arriving at the destination.

According to his lawyer the NRL would have no reason to stop him training with the Raiders. If he was put into a cab by team mates, then they must have had a good reason to do so. The paper talk of CS improved discipline and maturity would seem to be a mirage, when he is out on the town on his own. Hopefully he does not prove to be Carney Mark 2.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Carney MkII indeed.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Had his court hearing and pleaded not guilty. No reason to stop him training. NRL will decide whether he can play or not.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott to claim police handcuffed him while he was asleep after a big night out on Australia Day

Curtis Scott will make the stunning claim he was handcuffed and arrested while unconscious when he defends charges of assaulting two police officers.

After leaving a popular inner-city club he was put into a taxi by teammates, before stopping off on the way home at The Olympic Hotel in Paddington. When leaving the pub he crossed Moore Park Road before passing out in a bush at the front of the SCG.

Read more: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... a-Day.html

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott is vowing to fight allegations he assaulted police, with the stars lawyer claiming the officers 'misunderstood their powers'. @KellyFedor #9News @9NewsSyd : https://twitter.com/9NewsSyd/status/1223142225422450688

VIDEO: Star @RaidersCanberra recruit Curtis Scott has vowed to defend himself "to the last breath" as he faces assault charges. The 22-year-old fronted court today. http://7NEWS.com.au @laurakatebanks #7NEWS
https://twitter.com/7NewsSydney/status/ ... 2568852480
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The good ol UK Daily Mail. All over it. :lol: Good look.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seiffert82 wrote: January 31, 2020, 5:21 pm The good ol UK Daily Mail. All over it. :lol: Good look.
They operate on line in Australia as the Daily Mail Australia these days.

The Nine News report says that Curtis Scott's defence will indicate he was tasered after being handcuffed.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Passed out in a bush at the front of the SCG, been there done that.I like the boy, and as for those coppers that cuffed a sleeping man they should be hauled in front of the courts.****.
This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Continue to be outraged boys and girls.
This place is woke.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

How did he slap someone while he was handcuffed?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Was probably in an alcoholic blackout and thinks he was just passed out.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

greeneyed wrote: January 31, 2020, 5:24 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: January 31, 2020, 5:21 pm The good ol UK Daily Mail. All over it. :lol: Good look.
They operate on line in Australia as the Daily Mail Australia these days.

The Nine News report says that Curtis Scott's defence will indicate he was tasered after being handcuffed.
The Daily Mail actually has proud history. Unfortunately its more of a gossip site these days. Makes news.com.au look like a respectable news publication.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

gergreg wrote: January 31, 2020, 5:34 pm How did he slap someone while he was handcuffed?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
I have a feeling the truth is very different to what certain journos wanted us to believe

IF the reports that he was cuffed while not awake ( be it asleep, passed out etc) AND tasered while handcuffed are true the cops will be getting a bit nervous right now.

Dont think they knew who Curtis scott was at the time, just another young drunk
Vaccinated
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Courageous crime fighting at its best.
This place is woke.