Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Riaan
John Ferguson

Re: Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott arrested after Moore Park incident

Post by Riaan »

Is it true that all this happened across the road from NRL headquarters? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: January 29, 2020, 4:32 pm
Northern Raider wrote: January 29, 2020, 4:26 pm
Northern Raider wrote: January 29, 2020, 3:53 pm
Elcaptcroker wrote: January 29, 2020, 3:07 pm
Northern Raider wrote: Statistically NSW Police acutally using a taser in the course of duty happens around 150 per year. Thats a very small number given the total of arrests made. It suggests that a person is acting with hightened levels of violence for the police to resort to using the taser on them.
Which can happen and ive seen it happen in ACT where a drunken person has been woken up in freaked out and the more the police try to subdue them the more agressive they became due to being drunk and confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EDIT.

Moderator note: Entering dangerous territory.
Rubbish. This is a 3rd party anecdote about an unidentified individual. Not even remotely close to "dangerous territory".
Moderator note: Given the post that immediately followed, prompted by the post, it was entering dangerous territory.
I have no idea what the post afterward said. If it crossed the line then moderate away. Mine did not cross any line.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Northern Raider wrote:
greeneyed wrote: January 29, 2020, 4:32 pm
Northern Raider wrote: January 29, 2020, 4:26 pm
Northern Raider wrote: January 29, 2020, 3:53 pm
Elcaptcroker wrote: January 29, 2020, 3:07 pm Which can happen and ive seen it happen in ACT where a drunken person has been woken up in freaked out and the more the police try to subdue them the more agressive they became due to being drunk and confused.

EDIT.

Moderator note: Entering dangerous territory.
Rubbish. This is a 3rd party anecdote about an unidentified individual. Not even remotely close to "dangerous territory".
Moderator note: Given the post that immediately followed, prompted by the post, it was entering dangerous territory.
I have no idea what the post afterward said. If it crossed the line then moderate away. Mine did not cross any line.
Im intrigued now, who post was heading in a dangerous direction, and what was hiden behind Northern raiders EDIT?

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott to challenge police charges

Troubled NRL star Curtis Scott will “vigorously defend” serious police charges, including claims he kicked and punched an officer during his alleged alcohol fuelled Australia Day when he fronts court in Sydney. In another development, vital SCG security footage could now hold the key to Scott's immediate NRL career.

Police are in possession of security footage obtained by an SCG camera that apparently focusses on bushes near the Olympic Hotel on Moore Park Rd. It is not known what the vision shows but this is believed to be where the incident occurred. Arresting officers also wore body cameras.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 6dae087cc8

Todd Greenberg set to recommend sanctions for Canberra Raiders back Curtis Scott and two others at ARLC meeting

NRL boss Todd Greenberg will recommend sanctions for Curtis Scott, Josh Reynolds and Maika Sivo to an Australian Rugby League Commission board meeting next Thursday.

While it is still up for debate whether any of the trio will be suspended from playing NRL games, fined, or escape punishment altogether, Greenberg will outline his position to the ARLC board meeting.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... aeeae82129

AUDIO: How long Curtis Scott May be suspended for - and who might replace him at the Canberra Raiders: https://www.triplem.com.au/story/how-lo ... ers-154586
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

To be fair, Curtis is from the shire, that's a pretty aussie thing to do.
Fine him, let him play.
Make him earn his respect back with the club.
Humphrey B Flaubert
David Grant

Post by Humphrey B Flaubert »

ALX22 wrote: January 29, 2020, 12:19 pm
Beejay wrote: January 28, 2020, 3:10 pm Also 'the Mole' is all chummy with his ex on Twitter right now - Tay Clark. She is posting and liking comments to the effect of Karma's a bitch

Mole alluding to their being a 'real' story from the past that probably wont come out because someone doesn't want it to.
"The Mole" should be very careful. All it could take is for someone in the right department to have a look at the tweets, and if someone has misled the integrity unit, then someone could be in worse trouble.
I’d doubt that Ricky and the club are not aware of the story that Moley is talking about. It’s not what you would think from that tweet, as the raiders wouldn’t have taken him on if it was.
Speed limits are just suggestions....Like pants!
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

I am probably going against the grain here, and it certainly doesn’t look great, but the guy deserves his day in court. A friend of mine was hit with assaulting police charges after being tackled to the ground by a police officer who later testified he felt “threatened” by his presence. The court threw out the charges (luckily) due to a series of fortunate events (the police lawyer accidentally forwarded an email chain to the defence lawyer showing the police officers corroborating on their stories). There was also mobile phone footage from a bystander. If I wasn’t there, I wouldn’t have believed that my friend had done nothing wrong. I am not saying this is what happened in the Scott case - just that a charge needs to be proven in court.

I think a likely chain of events is that they tried to wake him, he was disoriented and lashed out.

In saying all of this - the guy needs to go on a self imposed booze ban.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

TongueFTW wrote: January 30, 2020, 6:16 am I am probably going against the grain here, and it certainly doesn’t look great, but the guy deserves his day in court. A friend of mine was hit with assaulting police charges after being tackled to the ground by a police officer who later testified he felt “threatened” by his presence. The court threw out the charges (luckily) due to a series of fortunate events (the police lawyer accidentally forwarded an email chain to the defence lawyer showing the police officers corroborating on their stories). There was also mobile phone footage from a bystander. If I wasn’t there, I wouldn’t have believed that my friend had done nothing wrong. I am not saying this is what happened in the Scott case - just that a charge needs to be proven in court.

I think a likely chain of events is that they tried to wake him, he was disoriented and lashed out.

Lashed out? He kicked and punched an officer in the face. That’s some ‘lashing’
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

sprintman wrote: January 30, 2020, 6:21 am
TongueFTW wrote: January 30, 2020, 6:16 am I am probably going against the grain here, and it certainly doesn’t look great, but the guy deserves his day in court. A friend of mine was hit with assaulting police charges after being tackled to the ground by a police officer who later testified he felt “threatened” by his presence. The court threw out the charges (luckily) due to a series of fortunate events (the police lawyer accidentally forwarded an email chain to the defence lawyer showing the police officers corroborating on their stories). There was also mobile phone footage from a bystander. If I wasn’t there, I wouldn’t have believed that my friend had done nothing wrong. I am not saying this is what happened in the Scott case - just that a charge needs to be proven in court.

Can't blame him for that as he was blind drunk. :doubt:
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: January 30, 2020, 6:24 am

Not sure if you're serious... getting blind drunk is not a legal defense or even a good excuse. A person is still responsible for what they do.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

BadnMean wrote: January 30, 2020, 9:12 am

Not sure if you're serious... getting blind drunk is not a legal defense or even a good excuse. A person is still responsible for what they do.
Defintely joking :D
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I suppose you think we shouldn't have been so hard on Hoppa because he thought he was a tapeworm?
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Azza wrote: January 30, 2020, 11:00 am

I suppose you think we shouldn't have been so hard on Hoppa because he thought he was a tapeworm?
My favourite Hoppa story is when he jumped on the field in the last few minutes at a club final and scored the match winning try :roflmao
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Curtis Scott’s court hearing brought forward to Friday

The Sydney court hearing for Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott, initially set down for 20 February at the Downing Centre Local Court, has been brought forward to 9:30am tomorrow.

The Daily Telegraph reports this may be to allow Scott’s legal team - headed by Danny Eid - to seek changes to bail conditions or challenge the charges. Eid is promising that the police charges will be vigorously defended.

According to The Daily Telegraph, the first responders in the early hours of Monday were two female officers.

The Canberra Raiders are believed to be of the view that a fair hearing requires that the legal processes should play out before club or NRL punishments are considered.

The Daily Telegraph also reports the Raiders are unhappy with suggestions that other Canberra players in Scott’s group did not look after the new recruit. It is believed they ensured Scott was put into a cab to take him back to their Bondi Junction hotel.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: January 30, 2020, 11:59 am According to The Daily Telegraph, the first responders in the early hours of Monday were two female officers.
What is the inference with this part of the story do you think?
I mean i could take a guess but it seems like an oddly specific detail to include
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: January 30, 2020, 12:34 pm
greeneyed wrote: January 30, 2020, 11:59 am According to The Daily Telegraph, the first responders in the early hours of Monday were two female officers.
I mean i could take a guess but it seems like an oddly specific detail to include
Yup. I picked up on that too. There must be a technicality/ protocol involved with this.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

I dont want any of this to be taken the wrong way, but I would imagine a females perspective of feeling threatened is somewhat different to a males, regardless of profession. If x2 females (with no male backup) confronted a very drunk and agressive male who quite obviously is fit and strong and powerful, I think the threshold for applying a taser would be a little lower than if it was 2 blokes attending the incident.

Having said that, I feel a lot worse knowing that this stupid act was not only committed in the first place, but against 2 women.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

If he assaulted a female officer he's done for
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: January 30, 2020, 11:59 am Curtis Scott’s court hearing brought forward to Friday

The Daily Telegraph also reports the Raiders are unhappy with suggestions that other Canberra players in Scott’s group did not look after the new recruit. It is believed they ensured Scott was put into a cab to take him back to their Bondi Junction hotel.
This is the most pleasing aspect of this story. Hopefully our boys looked after him as best as can be expected.

Don't really care whether the police officers were male or female to be honest. They're all suitably trained professionals. As long as the truth comes out and he's punished accordingly.
Smurfette
Brett Mullins

Post by Smurfette »

Coastalraider wrote: January 30, 2020, 12:43 pm
I dont want any of this to be taken the wrong way, but I would imagine a females perspective of feeling threatened is somewhat different to a males, regardless of profession. If x2 females (with no male backup) confronted a very drunk and agressive male who quite obviously is fit and strong and powerful, I think the threshold for applying a taser would be a little lower than if it was 2 blokes attending the incident.

Having said that, I feel a lot worse knowing that this stupid act was not only committed in the first place, but against 2 women.
100% agree with this, and gives more context to the Taser use. I suspect the Telegraph has included it though to heighten condemnation.

Azza wrote: January 30, 2020, 12:52 pm If he assaulted a female officer he's done for
I suspect the gender of the police officers won’t make much difference to the court in most of the scenarios possibly at play here.

It’s also good to hear that the other players tried to get him back to the hotel safely. Scott has let them down massively and will be interesting to see what that dynamic becomes.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Smurfette wrote: January 30, 2020, 1:15 pm
Coastalraider wrote: January 30, 2020, 12:43 pm

100% agree with this, and gives more context to the Taser use.
Yeah those were along the lines of my first two thoughts. I was struggling for the right way to state it without it being taken the wrong way
Is that detail included to give more context around the use of the taser or is it to pile more dirt on?

From a court perspective i dont think it matters. A lot of this is going to come down to how the assault occurred... i have certainly seen and heard many cases where a person resisting arrest get the assault charge because during the resistance, they make contact with an officer and those charges can often get dropped... or whether he attacked them.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I'm not saying gender matters from a legal perspective in this instance. What I am saying is the public perception for the NRL of a guy who (allegedly) punched an officer, if that officer was female, may be catastrophic if not handled with a heavy hand.

But of course, we don't know what happened and once that's all revealed we'll have a better idea of whether Scott should get off free.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Azza wrote: January 30, 2020, 1:35 pm I'm not saying gender matters from a legal perspective in this instance. What I am saying is the public perception for the NRL of a guy who (allegedly) punched an officer, if that officer was female, may be catastrophic if not handled with a heavy hand.

But of course, we don't know what happened and once that's all revealed we'll have a better idea of whether Scott should get off free.

Yeah in the court of public opinion, this is going to play out very poorly for Scott, and it's going to involve a very heavy fine and a lengthy suspension, im still feeling the 8-12 weeks, i wouldnt be stunned if they just gave him exactly what Wighton got. We're going to have to deal with the fact this guy is going to be missing close to half the season, maybe more. He's going to have the deal with the fact he's going to hit with a fairly significant fine, 25k+ id say

From a court perspective, i really feel like this is going to be a bread and butter good behaviour bond, community service and fines etc.
Generally speaking for Sports stars, the courts seem take into account at sentencing that their employer is also going to impose some significant punishment too, so i just think the courts will want to process this one out and let the NRL handle it.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yeah exactly, just think of the uproar for the HOW CAN SHE SLAP ME SIR guy. If he hadn't slapped a chick he'd probably have gotten no more than a yawn. Instead half of India went after him.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: January 30, 2020, 11:59 am ....
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

The line that the first two responders were female, indicates there were more responders. So the two female police called for backup...
And Curtis has said he will be fighting the charge.

Fair bit of context there.

Interesting to see the body cameras and SCG camera vision
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Whatever the outcome tomorrow and whatever punishment is meted out by the courts, NRL, and the club, let's not forget the bloke did do some fundraising for the bush fire victims off his own bat, which is a mark in his favour IMO. I'm as dirty as anyone that he's sullied the green, but if the club keeps him on I hope we all give him the thinnest benefit-of-the-doubt and one (absolutely final) chance to redeem himself.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott arrested after Moore Park incident

Post by LastRaider »

Of course Scott’s lawyer is going to come and say he is going to “defend this vigorously”, as it’s going to be harder for the NRL to hand down a harsh punishment to Scott as until convicted he is innocent.

So tomorrow he will plead innocent, they will set a trial date probably for around October. So during this time they will have to let Scott play after a small ban (say 6 weeks) and then closer to the date he will either settle (most likely) or change his plea to guilty.

It’s 101 legal stuff. It’s also exactly the same strategy Wighton did.

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

-TW- wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
InFernos_Raiders wrote:I’m a Raiders fan
Lucky this is a forum for Raiders fans!
****, I thought this was broncos hq

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
For the record - I’m nominating Infernos quote for Quote of the year at this years Fergies.

We’re a month in, but nothing will top it
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders to support Curtis Scott at court

The Canberra Raiders will support Curtis Scott when he fronts court facing six charges on Friday and will be accompanied by Raiders wellbeing officer Andrew Bishop.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I haven't read through the entire thread, but once the legal process is complete, I hope Sticky looks into why CS went out with a bunch of Raider players and ended up on his own. Did he simply kick on when the others called 'time'? Was he being a jerk and he put everyone offside?? I don't expect the outcome to be made public, but given his history, it's something the coach will probably want to know.

As for us fans, we await the outcome of the court case tomorrow. After the highs of last year this is a disappointing start to 2020.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RedRaider wrote: January 30, 2020, 7:52 pm I haven't read through the entire thread, but once the legal process is complete, I hope Sticky looks into why CS went out with a bunch of Raider players and ended up on his own. Did he simply kick on when the others called 'time'? Was he being a jerk and he put everyone offside?? I don't expect the outcome to be made public, but given his history, it's something the coach will probably want to know.

As for us fans, we await the outcome of the court case tomorrow. After the highs of last year this is a disappointing start to 2020.
viewtopic.php?p=1715663#p1715604
GreenmilkmachineNZ
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Jack wighton

Post by GreenmilkmachineNZ »

No ones perfect ,we all **** up at times! thats life brothers .The media love a good drama story.Never let the truth get in the way of a good yarn haha! He's human.Anyway whats the latest with price harry and what ever her name is? **** im missing home and away
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Right..

Can't say I've ever punched a cop cause I **** up.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

GreenmilkmachineNZ wrote: January 30, 2020, 8:24 pm No ones perfect ,we all **** up at times! thats life brothers .The media love a good drama story.Never let the truth get in the way of a good yarn haha! He's human.Anyway whats the latest with price harry and what ever her name is? **** im missing home and away
Go back to bed Curtis.