Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott arrested after Moore Park incident

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders couldn’t contact Curtis Scott after he allegedly threw his phone at a car

Canberra bosses were unable to contact Curtis Scott following his arrest in Sydney because he allegedly threw his mobile phone at a passing car earlier in the night.

“It’s a very disappointing way to start your career at a new club - very disappointing,’’ Raiders CEO Don Furner said. “Curtis has no phone and is on his way back to Canberra, but we have been speaking with his lawyer. We’ll catch up with him first thing Wednesday when the players are due back for training.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 863897d809

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/raider ... 53vi0.html
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Surely the bit in the Herald article implying the cops handcuffed him while asleep is wrong.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

edwahu wrote: January 29, 2020, 10:08 am Surely the bit in the Herald article implying the cops handcuffed him while asleep is wrong.
Yeah, trying to work out how he could punch a cop in the face if he was cuffed.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote: January 29, 2020, 10:08 am Surely the bit in the Herald article implying the cops handcuffed him while asleep is wrong.
I guess we'll find out at some stage...

Police body cameras were rolling on Curtis Scott arrest

Police who arrested star Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott had their body-worn cameras rolling. Police sources indicate footage from the incident has been reviewed by senior officers who are satisfied the officers involved had followed strict protocol in arresting Scott.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/truec ... e1c0698abb
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

No doubt the Ricky, Don and the NRL Integrity Unit would all be keen to see the footage. They would base their own reaction on that rather than wait for the legal process to run its course.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Bring back Joey 😔
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

sounds like some corrupt Sydney policework if you ask me. Politis sending our club a reminder
Dont delete this GE
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

This is pretty hard words form both Stick and Donny - I would have thought they would take the soft approach of 'we will talk to Curtis and review all info prior to making a comment' line.

They have both come out pretty hard against his actions so far...
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

And now he has reportedly been given the week off training to 'sort things out'....
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Acouple of cases ive seen happy to people out on the piss, has been-theyve passed out or blacked out drunk, get woken by an officer, which is when the drunk oerson wakes up to some random trying to do something to him, and being drunk would react with aggression thinking they themselves were being attacked, not being in the headspace to know they wete police. Lash out and hit them to when the cops swarm and attempt to subdue the person, and then get worse when they realise their getting arrested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Coastalraider wrote: January 29, 2020, 11:00 am And now he has reportedly been given the week off training to 'sort things out'....
The last thing he needs is a week off training...

He should be training, carrying the water bottles and putting away the tackle bags after every session. "Sort things out".. It was a 24hr period of stupidity and mistakes. Am I'm damn sure he's very remorseful when he fronts his boss and teammates today.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Elcaptcroker wrote: January 29, 2020, 11:03 am Acouple of cases ive seen happy to people out on the piss, has been-theyve passed out or blacked out drunk, get woken by an officer, which is when the drunk oerson wakes up to some random trying to do something to him, and being drunk would react with aggression thinking they themselves were being attacked, not being in the headspace to know they wete police. Lash out and hit them to when the cops swarm and attempt to subdue the person, and then get worse when they realise their getting arrested

This is my train of thought how it may have happened. I don't think its a punch like the Dylan Walker punch but more of a lashing out as he was still drunk and getting woken up by someone he thought was to harm him.

If I'm his lawyer that's what my defence would be as long as the cameras back it up.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

Whispers that we are now looking at Adam Douhi from Souths

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
greeneyed
Don Furner

Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott arrested after Moore Park incident

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders train without embattled recruit Curtis Scott after police charges

Canberra centre Curtis Scott won't train with the team until at least Friday as the NRL club weighs up the next move regarding their embattled star recruit.

Canberra players returned to training on Wednesday but the club confirmed 22-year-old Scott won't rejoin the squad for at least two days.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/raiders-tr ... c82f134064

Canberra Raiders give Scott time off from training after arrest

Canberra have given recruit Curtis Scott the rest of this week off training following the Australia Day arrest that leaves his immediate playing future in doubt.

Meanwhile, the club is unlikely to hit the market for an outside back despite Scott's clouded future and the release of Joey Leilua to Wests Tigers earlier in the week.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/29/rai ... er-arrest/

Canberra Raiders give Curtis Scott week off

The Canberra Raiders have given recruit Curtis Scott the week off training to sort things out. The 22-year-old was set to return to training after a few days off on Wednesday morning, but the NRL club has opted to give him time off instead.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Has the kid blown a $2 m deal for the sake of one Australia Day bender?

It is very interesting that his teammates ditched him at some point in the evening. Not good signs for Scott at any level.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Are we sure he was with Raiders players at the time?

Surely he was with Sydney mates at that point?
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by ALX22 »

Beejay wrote: January 28, 2020, 3:10 pm Also 'the Mole' is all chummy with his ex on Twitter right now - Tay Clark. She is posting and liking comments to the effect of Karma's a bitch

Mole alluding to their being a 'real' story from the past that probably wont come out because someone doesn't want it to.
"The Mole" should be very careful. All it could take is for someone in the right department to have a look at the tweets, and if someone has misled the integrity unit, then someone could be in worse trouble.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Seiffert82 wrote: January 29, 2020, 12:07 pm Has the kid blown a $2 m deal for the sake of one Australia Day bender?

It is very interesting that his teammates ditched him at some point in the evening. Not good signs for Scott at any level.
Did they ditch him, or did he ditch them....
bayraider
Noa Nadruku

Post by bayraider »

I find it very very weird that the club would give him off till Friday. Just my hunch That either the club has already decided to sack him or He is going to come out and say Along the lines of I am taking 6 to 12 months off to get help and get his life back on track and the club will release him from his contract. That's just my Guess.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Seiffert82 wrote: January 29, 2020, 12:07 pm Has the kid blown a $2 m deal for the sake of one Australia Day bender?

Plenty of NRL players in this category. Carney, Dugan, Ben Barba, David "what happens in Bali stays in Bali" Fifita.... the list goes on.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

I’m guessing the extra days off are for him to seek professional help for his obvious alcohol issues. Being an ex alcoholic myself, the best thing I ever did was take the time I needed and reached out to qualified professionals for help. I haven’t touched a drink in 9 months. I hope Curtis takes these steps as it can really turn your life around. If he elects not to, well then I don’t see why we should stick by him when he isn’t willing to help himself.

Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I think people are reading far too much into the fact he wasn’t with the rest of the team when it happened. I saw three groups of friends on Australia Day - I didn’t have a falling out with any of them, I was just always seeing different groups of friends. Scott has known the team for what, a month? He was probably always meeting his old Sydney mates after kicking things off with the team.

And where are these ‘whispers’ we’re looking at Douhei coming from? All I’ve heard is people who have nothing to do with the club on here, Reddit or Facebook going ‘gee Douhei would be nice’.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Timbo wrote:I think people are reading far too much into the fact he wasn’t with the rest of the team when it happened. I saw three groups of friends on Australia Day - I didn’t have a falling out with any of them, I was just always seeing different groups of friends. Scott has known the team for what, a month? He was probably always meeting his old Sydney mates after kicking things off with the team.

And where are these ‘whispers’ we’re looking at Douhei coming from? All I’ve heard is people who have nothing to do with the club on here, Reddit or Facebook going ‘gee Douhei would be nice’.
There’s a report in today’s Daily Telegraph. See the separate thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

greeneyed wrote: January 29, 2020, 1:45 pm
Timbo wrote:I think people are reading far too much into the fact he wasn’t with the rest of the team when it happened. I saw three groups of friends on Australia Day - I didn’t have a falling out with any of them, I was just always seeing different groups of friends. Scott has known the team for what, a month? He was probably always meeting his old Sydney mates after kicking things off with the team.

There’s a report in today’s Daily Telegraph. See the separate thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah, which is a journalist speculating that we're 'in the mix'.

In otherwords, a journalist has looked at the clubs who may need an outside back for 2020, noted that Scott has done something that may be a sackable offence and suggested we are a possibility.

Unless we've decided to sack Scott already, we're not in the mix for Douhei. Who is just a run of the mill outside back anyway.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

LimeGreenMachine wrote: January 29, 2020, 11:40 am
Elcaptcroker wrote: January 29, 2020, 11:03 am Acouple of cases ive seen happy to people out on the piss, has been-theyve passed out or blacked out drunk, get woken by an officer, which is when the drunk oerson wakes up to some random trying to do something to him, and being drunk would react with aggression thinking they themselves were being attacked, not being in the headspace to know they wete police. Lash out and hit them to when the cops swarm and attempt to subdue the person, and then get worse when they realise their getting arrested

This is my train of thought how it may have happened. I don't think its a punch like the Dylan Walker punch but more of a lashing out as he was still drunk and getting woken up by someone he thought was to harm him.

If I'm his lawyer that's what my defence would be as long as the cameras back it up.
Statistically NSW Police acutally using a taser in the course of duty happens around 150 per year. Thats a very small number given the total of arrests made. It suggests that a person is acting with hightened levels of violence for the police to resort to using the taser on them.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Northern Raider wrote: January 29, 2020, 2:20 pm

Statistically NSW Police acutally using a taser in the course of duty happens around 150 per year. Thats a very small number given the total of arrests made. It suggests that a person is acting with hightened levels of violence for the police to resort to using the taser on them.
The Taser may be discharged at the discretion of the Taser User after proper
assessment of the situation and the environment to:

 Protect human life
 Protect yourself or others where violent confrontation or violent
resistance is occurring or imminent
 Protect an officer(s) in danger of being overpowered or to protect
themselves or another person from the risk of actual bodily harm
 Protection from animals

When considering the discharge of a Taser, officers should consider all tactical options
available to them in the Tactical Options Model. Before removing the Taser from the
holster, officers will assess if the deployment of a Taser is the best option for the
prevailing situation having regard to the Criteria to Discharge a Taser in these
procedures and the Taser training they have received.

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/as ... mation.pdf

They actually do take it pretty seriously.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Northern Raider wrote: January 29, 2020, 1:00 pm

Plenty of NRL players in this category. Carney, Dugan, Ben Barba, David "what happens in Bali stays in Bali" Fifita.... the list goes on.
Indeed. And their fate generally depends on how good they are on the field. Unfortunately in Scott's case, he hasn't done a great deal to prove his worth...and absolutely zero onfield with our club.

He's clearly a dumbass on the drink. He needs to get it sorted.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

yeh raiders wrote: January 29, 2020, 12:30 pm

Did they ditch him, or did he ditch them....
Either way it's not a good sign for him. In these situations I suspect the coach and management take on board what the senior players think about the situation and maybe what the punishment might include. Who knows if Scott has endeared himself to those with influence?

The kid has been here for 20 minutes and has already shown what he's capable of on the booze. He'll need support from the playing group if the club chooses to retain him.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Northern Raider wrote:

Which can happen and ive seen it happen in ACT where a drunken person has been woken up in freaked out and the more the police try to subdue them the more agressive they became due to being drunk and confused.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Elcaptcroker wrote: January 29, 2020, 3:07 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

Which can happen and ive seen it happen in ACT where a drunken person has been woken up in freaked out and the more the police try to subdue them the more agressive they became due to being drunk and confused.

EDIT.

Moderator note: Entering dangerous territory.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

EDIT
Last edited by greeneyed on January 29, 2020, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unsubstantiated inference.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Northern Raider wrote: January 29, 2020, 3:53 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

EDIT.

Rubbish. This is a 3rd party anecdote about an unidentified individual. Not even remotely close to "dangerous territory".
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Timbo has three groups of friends? Well I'll be....
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: January 29, 2020, 4:26 pm
Northern Raider wrote: January 29, 2020, 3:53 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

EDIT.

Rubbish. This is a 3rd party anecdote about an unidentified individual. Not even remotely close to "dangerous territory".
Moderator note: Given the post that immediately followed, prompted by the post, it was entering dangerous territory.