Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott arrested after Moore Park incident

Post by Botman »

LastRaider wrote: January 28, 2020, 8:11 am
Botman wrote:I really don’t think he’s being sacked
This is not deemed serious enough for the no fault stand down policy
So I just don’t see it... maybe I’m wrong but it just doesn’t seem like this is in the tea leaves

The questions for me are, what level of suspension is he going to get and who replaces him for that time?
And is this a Wighton (Knock on wood) level wake up call or is this going to be a reoccurring theme for his career?
He assaulted a police officer. Come on, it’s a terrible representation of the club and game.

Botman would you think it’s acceptable if your going about your job and then someone punches you while your at work.
My thoughts on violent crimes where made perfectly clear last year with the Wighton situation and many others, they have not changed.
This is not about what i want to happen or feel is what i'd do, its about what the club and NRL are going to do.

The reality of this situation is he's not being stood down under the no fault policy and whilst im sure the club will talk a very tough game publicly about considering all their options, i suspect privately sacking will never be a real tabled option (again i could be wrong, and i would fully support the club if they decided to go down that route).

The Wighton thing seems pretty instructive to me, i thought they should have sacked him, they didnt and without knowing the guy, it appears that incident was a wake up call and Stuart got him back on track as a person and athlete, he helped lead us to the GF and was the CCM in the game, that's going to be strong point of argument for the club to say "we're not sacking him, and we're the best people to help him"

And i think that's exactly what they'll do.
So it ultimately doesnt matter what i think they should do or what i'd do. I am reasonably confident he's not going to be sacked, so from a pragmatic point of view for me, im already moving on to the questions i raised in my post.

He's going to be suspended for something in the realm of 8-12 weeks. So how's the backline look whilst he's out. And long term, is this a wake up call? Can he be rehabilitated out of this reckless behaviour? What sort of leash is he going to need to be on?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

LastRaider wrote:
Ilanraiders wrote:If he’s sacked by the club does that mean we can use that money this season? If yes.. can we make a play at Dane Gagai to replace Scott?
That would be a good signing
No it wouldn't, he doesn't turn up for club games

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Botman wrote: January 28, 2020, 8:23 am
LastRaider wrote: January 28, 2020, 8:11 am
Botman wrote:I really don’t think he’s being sacked
This is not deemed serious enough for the no fault stand down policy
So I just don’t see it... maybe I’m wrong but it just doesn’t seem like this is in the tea leaves

The questions for me are, what level of suspension is he going to get and who replaces him for that time?
And is this a Wighton (Knock on wood) level wake up call or is this going to be a reoccurring theme for his career?
He assaulted a police officer. Come on, it’s a terrible representation of the club and game.

Botman would you think it’s acceptable if your going about your job and then someone punches you while your at work.
My thoughts on violent crimes where made perfectly clear last year with the Wighton situation and many others, they have not changed.
This is not about what i want to happen or feel is what i'd do, its about what the club and NRL are going to do.

The reality of this situation is he's not being stood down under the no fault policy and whilst im sure the club will talk a very tough game publicly about considering all their options, i suspect privately sacking will never be a real tabled option (again i could be wrong, and i would fully support the club if they decided to go down that route).

The Wighton thing seems pretty instructive to me, i thought they should have sacked him, they didnt and without knowing the guy, it appears that incident was a wake up call and Stuart got him back on track as a person and athlete, he helped lead us to the GF and was the CCM in the game, that's going to be strong point of argument for the club to say "we're not sacking him, and we're the best people to help him"

And i think that's exactly what they'll do.
So it ultimately doesnt matter what i think they should do or what i'd do. I am reasonably confident he's not going to be sacked, so from a pragmatic point of view for me, im already moving on to the questions i raised in my post.

He's going to be suspended for something in the realm of 8-12 weeks. So how's the backline look whilst he's out. And long term, is this a wake up call? Can he be rehabilitated out of this reckless behaviour? What sort of leash is he going to need to be on?
i just think someone punching botman at work is a poor example.
at the end of the day, this has happened. we can compound its effect on our season by sacking him or ricky can use it as another opportunity to galvanize the squad.
there were other raiders players out with him that night and they too should be held to account for not keeping their team mate in line. they should always be looking out for each other and looking after what they built last year.
i think ricky will guilt the crap out of them and its just another opportunity for the playing group to step up and take ownership
Dont delete this GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I don't think he's going to be sacked either... and, as someone said, he'd be on the world's shortest leash.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Sacking Scott to sign Dane Gagai would be an out and out disaster AFAIC.
As others have said, we're not the QLD SOO team, and he's... to be perfectly honest, absolutely trash outside that arena.

If that's the back up plan for Scott, i'm keeping Scott for sure.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

please never ever suggest gagai again. how embarrassing to see that even mentioned
Dont delete this GE
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I thought I was trolling by suggesting dugan but I see I am out of my depth.
rugbyleaguemad
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by rugbyleaguemad »

Don’t think Curtis Scott will be around much longer .
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

greeneyed wrote: January 27, 2020, 7:20 pm He fell asleep under a tree across the road from NRL HQ... according to those news reports above.
:lol:
WorkChoice
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

I personally don't think we will sack him but he will be copping a decent fine and a lengthy ban.. anywhere up to 12 weeks from the NRL. Either way we need a contingency plan and ASAP. Unfortunately this **** has disrupted our pre-season on the same day we release Leilua. Timing could not have been worse.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

I think the contingency will be our depth. He'll be back after his ban and hopefully a stint in mounties.
Jake
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Paul Vaughan

Post by Jake »

I'd take Dugan for a year and then ship him off to England with a premiership ring. Reset with Curtis in 2021.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

Send him packing - although Ricky really likes this guy. Use the money to get Doueihi from Souths and use the year to also blood and develop Smith Shields. That would still be enough to challenge for the trophy.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Jake wrote:I'd take Dugan for a year and then ship him off to England with a premiership ring. Reset with Curtis in 2021.

If we're not even looking at Carney for a piss take 9s comp, there's no way Dugan would even get a mention

Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

SOS Rapana

Cotric -> Centre
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Not a bad idea re Rapana but I believe the club wasnt standing in his way due to ongoing injury concerns
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

zim wrote: January 28, 2020, 9:25 am I think the contingency will be our depth. He'll be back after his ban and hopefully a stint in mounties.
I think so too, Cotric and Oldy or HSS?
Ive got a LOT OF time for Oldbeard, and i think he's an NRL level winger who gives us something we lack a little bit in pure, unadulterated speed. So i got no issues going down that path... but as ive said countless times, im a little agist and im a ceiling not floor guy, so i'd be taking a REAL good look at this HSS kid.

Good judges here seem to think he's a very talented kid, and i know the club is very high on him.
Some good trial form would go a long way.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: January 28, 2020, 10:26 am
zim wrote: January 28, 2020, 9:25 am I think the contingency will be our depth. He'll be back after his ban and hopefully a stint in mounties.
Ive got a LOT OF time for Oldbeard, and i think he's an NRL level winger who gives us something we lack a little bit in pure, unadulterated speed. So i got no issues going down that path... but as ive said countless times, im a little agist and im a ceiling not floor guy, so i'd be taking a REAL good look at this HSS kid.

Good judges here seem to think he's a very talented kid, and i know the club is very high on him.
I agree with that. Assuming Scott is retained, I can't see him getting anything less than 10-12 weeks suspension from the NRL. I'd like to see Smith-Shields given his shot. I'm inclined not to weaken the wing - leave Cotric there, as he didn't actually look that comfortable at centre... so give Harley his shot there. He's not much smaller than Cotric... three kgs lighter, but a couple of cms shorter. He's solidly built.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Botman wrote: January 28, 2020, 10:26 am

The safest would be Cotric to centre Oldfield on the wing.
But they've got a good opportunity here so I'd be putting HSS at centre.

I hope HSS has already had some time next to George Williams in the defensive drills. From Wighton's comment Williams is a good defender so maybe nothing to worry about.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart 'p---ed off' after Raiders recruit Curtis Scott charged by police

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says he's "pissed off" with new recruit Curtis Scott, who is facing six police charges after an alleged Australia Day rampage that saw him tasered by police.

"It pisses me off, quote me on that," Stuart told The Daily Telegraph. "But I don't want to comment on anything outside that until I hear the full story. I have to know the facts first and I haven't heard Curtis' side of the story. But you create your own hurdles, don't you?"

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/ricky-stua ... b625816118

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... d-Ivy.html
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Man if I wasn’t so lazy I would go through the bj thread to quote all the morons hating on him...

At the very least he wasn’t bashing police..
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Jake wrote:I'd take Dugan for a year and then ship him off to England with a premiership ring. Reset with Curtis in 2021.

Eww

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

I'm ticked that there were Raiders players with him that night and he somehow broke away. Did no one think to call him a cab and send him home?
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Interesting comment from the mole and follow up tweets

The Mole
@9_Moley

He has been on NRL’s radar for some time. Wish I could tell the full story.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Never tell the full story and you're never wrong. Funny how that works.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

yurithe1 wrote: January 28, 2020, 11:46 am I'm ticked that there were Raiders players with him that night and he somehow broke away. Did no one think to call him a cab and send him home?
How do we know that didn't happen at some point? I've put loose mates in a cab before only to have them redirect it to the next place we were headed.
They could have separated thinking his night was done.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: January 28, 2020, 12:20 pm Never tell the full story and you're never wrong. Funny how that works.
Is that the same Mole who joined the Greenhouse and asked people for follows, never to be seen again?

He's always great for a scoop.. that never eventuates
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

InFernos_Raiders wrote:I’m a Raiders fan
Lucky this is a forum for Raiders fans!
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

papabear wrote: January 28, 2020, 11:20 am Man if I wasn’t so lazy I would go through the bj thread to quote all the morons hating on him...

At the very least he wasn’t bashing police..

That nude photo of gf is lowest of the low mate.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

yurithe1 wrote: January 28, 2020, 11:46 am I'm ticked that there were Raiders players with him that night and he somehow broke away. Did no one think to call him a cab and send him home?

Possibly the sort of guy that would get violent and others thought let him be?

Im not sure of nuances but no way he should be paid while hes suspended for this.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

LimeGreenMachine wrote:Interesting comment from the mole and follow up tweets

The Mole
@9_Moley

He has been on NRL’s radar for some time. Wish I could tell the full story.
BJ Mole reports that the NRL Radar is less accurate than the Pearl Harbour Radar of 1941.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
InFernos_Raiders wrote:I’m a Raiders fan
Lucky this is a forum for Raiders fans!
****, I thought this was broncos hq

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

rugbyleaguemad wrote: January 28, 2020, 9:16 am Don’t think Curtis Scott will be around much longer .
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more likely this will be the result.

Stuart would have signed him after some pretty intense due diligence, given his shoddy history at the Storm. We all know Ricky is great mates with Bellamy and he would have gone into this contract with his eyes wide open regarding Scott's issues.

Scott has let Stuart, the club and himself down big time...without having played a single minute for us.

On reflection, I'd cut my losses now and move on if I was the club. The Wighton situation was different. We've got the depth to cover the position for now. Best to be back in the market sooner rather than later.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

-TW- wrote: January 28, 2020, 8:40 am
LastRaider wrote:
Ilanraiders wrote:If he’s sacked by the club does that mean we can use that money this season? If yes.. can we make a play at Dane Gagai to replace Scott?
That would be a good signing
No it wouldn't, he doesn't turn up for club games

If we landed Gagai right now I'd say with all confidence he was our best signing this decade.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Fact is Ricky and the club don't know Curtis Scott very well. We don't know his character properly, and we can't fully assess his ability to mature and turn things around. I applauded him when he kicked off donations to the bushfire appeal by putting in a big sum of his own, but those good intentions are washed away pretty quickly if you're getting pissed to the point where you're assaulting the police.

These charges are very serious and this incident may well be a sign of things to come. Given the murmurs about his past the best thing here is to let him go if he's found guilty, if only to send a clear message to the squad that this behaviour will not be tolerated on any condition. Ricky and the club cannot afford to be weak here. Centre is the most expendable position in the game at the moment so we won't be losing much, and can still get someone in the near future - although the minority bagging BJ probably have a bit of egg to wipe away from their faces.