Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott arrested after Moore Park incident

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Timbo wrote: January 27, 2020, 4:28 pm There’s no way we will cut him.

We did the ‘right thing’ for years with Carney, Dugan, etc and it always came back to bite us on the backside when the NRL let them sign with another club immediately. We showed last summer with Fighton’ Wighton that we aren’t taking the moral high ground any more for the benefit of other clubs. We’re also not paying BJ $450k for a season with no replacement in Canberra. He was a targeted signing and is obviously a huge part of Sticks long term plans.

He’ll be stood down for a bit, Ricky will give him an absolute bollocking behind closed doors and he’ll be back on the field at some point in green this season.

The only way we will cut him is if the league forces us to.
From what we do neither of those two really did anything to harm anyone other than themselves. If he has attempted to land some decent shots on cops then I can't see any way he can be retained.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Johno wrote: January 27, 2020, 4:45 pm Would the police officer had one of those body cameras?

Or a fellow officer recorded it?
That's a good question Johnno..

I'd say yes there should be footage of the incident.

im pretty sure it's protocol these days.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

There’s something to look forward to...
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Johno wrote:Would the police officer had one of those body cameras?

They never have them on though. Too incriminating
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

-PJ- wrote: January 27, 2020, 4:51 pm
Johno wrote: January 27, 2020, 4:45 pm Would the police officer had one of those body cameras?

That's a good question Johnno..

I'd say yes there should be footage of the incident.

im pretty sure it's protocol these days.
One n in Johno mate
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I don't get the resist arrest bit.

From what I've read and how I understand it he was sleeping in a park and awoken by police. Now, those cops only intention initially would have been to make sure he was ok..welfare check. What happened next is all on CScott.

I'm guessing the cops would have maybe give him a kick on the foot, or a shove just to get a response. There's no way they approached an unconscious man in the park with their tasers drawn.

So it was a welfare check and a simple order to move on.

CScott has gone all JackieChan is sounds like.

That's how I'm reading it.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: January 27, 2020, 4:50 pm
Timbo wrote: January 27, 2020, 4:28 pm There’s no way we will cut him.

We did the ‘right thing’ for years with Carney, Dugan, etc and it always came back to bite us on the backside when the NRL let them sign with another club immediately. We showed last summer with Fighton’ Wighton that we aren’t taking the moral high ground any more for the benefit of other clubs. We’re also not paying BJ $450k for a season with no replacement in Canberra. He was a targeted signing and is obviously a huge part of Sticks long term plans.

He’ll be stood down for a bit, Ricky will give him an absolute bollocking behind closed doors and he’ll be back on the field at some point in green this season.

The only way we will cut him is if the league forces us to.
From what we do neither of those two really did anything to harm anyone other than themselves. If he has attempted to land some decent shots on cops then I can't see any way he can be retained.
If the league doesn't make us sack him I severely doubt that we will. It's basically conceding the 2020 season.

I don't think it's as simple of saying move Cotric to centre. Cotric has never really looked that great at centre. Stick and the recruitment team obviously went very hard at Scott to the point that we're willing to pay BJ a big chunk of money to play for a rival so that we can fit him in.

There will be a slap on the wrist and a Bull redemption story unless the league forces us to sack him. And given they didn't force the Dragons to sack de Bellin when he was charged with rape I doubt they'll force us to sack Scott for this.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Pictured: Curtis Scott’s big weekend before taser arrest – partying with teammates in Bondi and at The Ivy on Australia Day

Curtis Scott’s Australia Day celebrations have ended in disaster after the 22-year-old assaulted a police officer in Moore Park, Sydney and had to be tasered before he could be arrested.

Hours before his arrest, Scott was with friends, including Raiders teammate John Bateman at the popular Ivy Pool Club – four kilometres away from the site of the arrest.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 7d89555595

'I'm older now, and make better decisions': How NRL star Curtis Scott chose to leave Sydney to 'focus on footy' - only to be tasered by police a week later after a day of partying: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... later.html
PhilY
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jason Croker

Post by PhilY »

greeneyed wrote: January 27, 2020, 3:42 pm We don’t know the charges don’t qualify for the NRL stand down rule. From what I’ve read, it possibly could.
The laws around assaulting NSW police officers are severe. Getting sacked or stood down could be the least of his concerns right now:
5 years prison for assault Not causing harm
7 years if a public disorder
7 years if bodily harm (a cut qualifies) with a mandatory 3 year non parole.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

We often get to experience new rules for the first time. If they decide they want to change the rules now and start sacking people then I’ll deal with it.
Smurfette
Brett Mullins

Post by Smurfette »

greeneyed wrote: January 27, 2020, 4:21 pm
cat wrote: January 27, 2020, 3:47 pm
greeneyed wrote: January 27, 2020, 3:42 pm We don’t know the charges don’t qualify for the NRL stand down rule. From what I’ve read, it possibly could.
You are not looking at a jail term here, can promise you that.
So there is no way this qualifies
The parra player does based on fiji court rules though.....
I’d be surprised too if there was a jail term if there is some form of guilty verdict. The NRL isn’t deciding on what they think the penalty will be, they’re looking at the maximum penalty for the charge. I don’t know enough about the charges or the circumstances to know what maximum penalty attaches to the charges. I hope it doesn’t. https://www.armstronglegal.com.au/crimi ... ult/police
It would seem unlikely that it qualifies for the automatic stand down, since the maximum penalty only tips over 11 years with grievous bodily harm. I would guess that if the officer in question had suffered an injury of that nature, this would be a bigger story (in non-football circles). The police statement also gives no indication of that. Of course, the NRL has the discretion to stand him down anyway.
Leeroy Jenkins
Brett Mullins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

Ugh... I saw the post on Batemans Instagram and thought no good can come from this... wasn’t wrong
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

On seeing his eyes in the posted Instagram shots from the Ivy I had a feeling there would be trouble. I’m not always right, but I’m never wrong...
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

greeneyed wrote: January 27, 2020, 5:09 pm Pictured: Curtis Scott’s big weekend before taser arrest – partying with teammates in Bondi and at The Ivy on Australia Day

Curtis Scott’s Australia Day celebrations have ended in disaster after the 22-year-old assaulted a police officer in Moore Park, Sydney and had to be tasered before he could be arrested.

Hours before his arrest, Scott was with friends, including Raiders teammate John Bateman at the popular Ivy Pool Club – four kilometres away from the site of the arrest.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 7d89555595

'I'm older now, and make better decisions': How NRL star Curtis Scott chose to leave Sydney to 'focus on footy' - only to be tasered by police a week later after a day of partying: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... later.html
OK, I take it back. Sack him. You have to be king of the wankers to go to Ivy Pool.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

There's next to no chance of jail. Less than 1% would go for a first offense.

Most likely result is a good behaviour bond.
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

So what happened to our No D-Head policy? Its not like we didnt know what we were getting, I mean he did fracture a guys eye socket in an unprovoked attack.... the guy is a grub, a dangerous grub.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I used to sleep in the garden across the road from the Fortune of War in The Rocks..

Only because I always missed the midnight train from Circular Quay back to Liverpool and had 5hrs to fill in before the next train home..

Or..go the the X
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Lucky wrote: January 27, 2020, 5:56 pm So what happened to our No D-Head policy? Its not like we didnt know what we were getting, I mean he did fracture a guys eye socket in an unprovoked attack.... the guy is a grub, a dangerous grub.
It was Dylan Walker right ?

Doesn't count.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Just looking at the photos and videos on instagram, he looks like a complete tosser.

Give me a lazy trainer Leilua any day of the week.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Raider47 wrote:Just looking at the photos and videos on instagram, he looks like a complete tosser.

Give me a lazy trainer Leilua any day of the week.
Bellamy sitting back counting his cash surplus grinning like fat kid with a cup cake. #no****myass

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
PhilY
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jason Croker

Post by PhilY »

If the prospect of a jail term hanging over his head for the next few months doesn’t straighten him out, nothing ever will.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

We just cannot have nice things....like 2 good seasons in a row.

Even if in the end he gets a long ban, he still has put a dent in our hopes in 2020. This decade sucks so far.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

I really enjoyed being a good team last year. I really, really enjoyed going to the grand final. And I want to experience winning one.

Scott is one of our two best centres with Croker. There is a huge quality gap between those two and our number three choice.

The fact is, he’s not my friend. I don’t have to have a conversation with him or spend time in his presence. Will we be a better football team with him in the #4 over the other options? The answer is an unqualified yes. If the league doesn’t de-register him - which they won’t - then I want him back in the side as soon as he’s available.

We were lovable losers for a long time. Not again.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

edwahu wrote: January 27, 2020, 5:50 pm There's next to no chance of jail. Less than 1% would go for a first offense.

Most likely result is a good behaviour bond.
Spot on.
He’s not going to jail

I can’t see the NRL making us sack him and I doubt we’ll sack him. He be fined heavily, stood down and suspended for a few games and on time marches

HSS better get his boots ready, that kid might get a chance early
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Hoping Ricky has been preparing a right old spray today- he can't be a happy camper right now. Must feel like he has been stabbed in the back.

I too had similar feelings when I saw photos of the players in Sydney. Looked like a recipe for disaster.
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

1992 wrote: January 27, 2020, 6:20 pm We just cannot have nice things....like 2 good seasons in a row.

Even if in the end he gets a long ban, he still has put a dent in our hopes in 2020. This decade sucks so far.
Chin up pal, it's January of the first year.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: The torrid off-season for the NRL continues, with Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott facing a string of serious charges: https://twitter.com/9NewsSyd/status/1221699829488930816 @9NewsSyd

VIDEO: Police have tasered star @raiderscanberra recruit Curtis Scott who then spent the night behind bars, accused of punching a police officer during a boozy Australia Day with teammates. The @NRL must now decide whether to stand him down. https://7news.link/37uCWkl @RobertOvadia #7NEWS:
https://twitter.com/7NewsSydney/status/ ... 7923887104

VIDEO: New Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott had to be tasered by police just before dawn this morning, after he allegedly punched an officer at Moore Park after a big night out. @Kim_Pratt10 : https://twitter.com/10NewsFirstSyd/stat ... 8310464513

Interesting that police are going to investigate The Ivy in relation to responsible service of alcohol. Channel 10 saying he won't be stood down, others saying the NRL will consider it.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

If there’s anything to learn out of another NRL off season filled with scandal, it’s that those complaining of burn out and wanting the season shortened are crazy. Can you imagine how many issues there’d be in a longer off season?

These guys should play Jan - Dec clearly.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Hmmmm... from a legal perspective, i wonder if him and his team might argue some form of diminished capacity due to lack of RSA?

I’m sure someone who actually knows what they’re talking about and isn’t just an avid law and order fan will shoot that down in a heart beat...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He fell asleep under a tree across the road from NRL HQ... according to those news reports above.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Timbo wrote: January 27, 2020, 6:33 pm I really enjoyed being a good team last year. I really, really enjoyed going to the grand final. And I want to experience winning one.

Scott is one of our two best centres with Croker. There is a huge quality gap between those two and our number three choice.

The fact is, he’s not my friend. I don’t have to have a conversation with him or spend time in his presence. Will we be a better football team with him in the #4 over the other options? The answer is an unqualified yes. If the league doesn’t de-register him - which they won’t - then I want him back in the side as soon as he’s available.

Seasons over
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Botman wrote:Hmmmm... from a legal perspective, i wonder if him and his team might argue some form of diminished capacity due to lack of RSA?

I’m sure someone who actually knows what they’re talking about and isn’t just an avid law and order fan will shoot that down in a heart beat...
He would have been asked to leave based on RSA, so no

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart furious as Canberra Raiders wait on outcome of Curtis Scott Australia day allegations

A shattered and angry Ricky Stuart has conceded “it pisses me off” to think Curtis Scott’s alleged Australia Day antics could damage the dreams of an entire club, even before the star recruit plays a game.

“It pisses me off, quote me on that,” Stuart said.“But I don’t want to comment on anything outside that until I hear the full story. I have to know the facts first and I haven’t heard Curtis’s side of the story.”

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... e95fed475b

Todd Greenberg to make call on Scott's immediate future following arrest

Canberra recruit Curtis Scott's immediate playing future now is in the hands of NRL boss Todd Greenberg after he was tasered and spent the night behind bars on Sunday.

A source close to Scott told the Herald the player had tried to hail a cab but was unsuccessful and fell asleep for up to two hours only to be woken up in cuffs. It was only then that he became agitated.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/greenb ... 53v5i.html
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Azza wrote: January 27, 2020, 7:35 pm
Timbo wrote: January 27, 2020, 6:33 pm I really enjoyed being a good team last year. I really, really enjoyed going to the grand final. And I want to experience winning one.

Seasons over
These charges are going to be fairly straight forward, and i would doubt Scott will contest them, they'll plead it out, cop the punishsment, which will be a good behaviour bond, fine and maybe some community service, then the NRL/Club will come over the top with a heavy fine and probably something in the 4-8 week suspension... edit: actually it's probably going to fall in the Jack Wighton range, so probably 8-12 weeks

We can survive this, we're good enough to survive this. But this cant be THIS kind of season where this is routine. This has to be a line in the sand moment for the playing group. This has to be a wake up call to say "Hey, we fell a game short last year and if we want to go back and finish the job, this is the last time they talk about us like this"
Luffto
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Pigman

Post by Luffto »

My thoughts, if anyone gives a ****:

I've got to say, as the day has gone on I'm even more pissed off at this Curtis Scott news. We lost Rapana and BJ, and gained him. With solid backline depth on paper it was as good as, or slightly weaker than last year. Now this **** has gone out and punched on with cops.

Last year was amazing, and this year we're hoping to go one game better. Instead we're looking at having lost 3 players in our backline. Way to endear yourself to your new clubs supporters, Curtis.