All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Badandmean
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Mal

Bad And Mean Podcast

Post by Badandmean »

Hi all

We’ve just published the third episode of the Bad And Mean podcast. It’s available on iTunes at https://apple.co/2Z4tW2 and on podbean at https://bit.ly/37jRDH8

This week we’re looking at the Raiders best round one line up, previewing the draw and making some predictions for the season ahead.

We’re obviously new to this so very happy for feedback or suggestions for things you’d like to hear on the show. But remember we’re just three Raiders tragics having a bit of fun, so be gentle.

Please check it out and give us a follow on Facebook or Instagram @badandmeanpodcast.

Go the mighty Raiders!!!
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Bad And Mean podcast

Post by BadnMean »

Are you bloody serious?
I am in no way affiliated with this outrageous hijack of the dearly beloved and lovingly crafted username and reputation as a useless, time wasting, argumentative, possible jackass poster!

(but not a bot or lucy alt)
Badandmean
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Badandmean »

Sorry mate, no intention to hijack anything.

If anything, we’ll probably only add to that reputation
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Mods, can I please request a name change to Bad&Mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

BadnMean wrote:Are you bloody serious?
I am in no way affiliated with this outrageous hijack of the dearly beloved and lovingly crafted username and reputation as a useless, time wasting, argumentative, possible jackass poster!

(but not a bot or lucy alt)
I didn't open this thread because I didn't have any interest in a lucy alt podcast about bad haircuts now I'm mindblown

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: January 23, 2020, 1:34 pm Mods, can I please request a name change to Bad&Mean?

:roflmao
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Haven’t listened to it all yet. My major gripe so far isn’t a long term thing. It was just that you spent so much time talking about BJ and his role as a Raider when he’s almost certainly goneski.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

gangrenous wrote: January 23, 2020, 6:16 pm Haven’t listened to it all yet. My major gripe so far isn’t a long term thing. It was just that you spent so much time talking about BJ and his role as a Raider when he’s almost certainly goneski.
Haven't listened at all- and I might make my schtick commenting on this podcast without ever having heard it-

But isn't Joey deserving of a farewell reminisce episode in a long off season? I've been a fan since late 80s and in terms of pure enjoyment in watching them play, BJ is near a top 5 player for me. The way he used to barnstorm around pushing guys off before and even after scoring tries, like a Godzilla sized toddler trampling Tokyo... outrageous skills too...

Best centre since Big Mal... there's Wiki, Croker and BJ in the conversation and Wiki is probably best remembered as a forward... I think he's worth a trip down memory lane.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The episode talks about what role he’s playing for the Raiders in 2020. Opposition gets a mention, but more about an off the bench role and our excellent depth.
Badandmean
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Badandmean »

Thanks for the feedback, Gangrenous.

You’re probably dead right, looks like Joey will head to the Tigers. Still a lot of trades to play out in the pre season I think.

And some big names too - Addo Carr, BJ and Doueihi. Then there’s the Arrow/Turgess trade talk.

I like how settled the rest of our squad is
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Good episode guys.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I haven't listen to it yet, but it needs more Curtis Scott content.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just listened to the latest podcast... the guys look at their greatest ever Raiders teams. No mention of John Ferguson?! Might have missed it! Bit too much recency bias in some of the spots! Hodgson hasn’t done enough to unseat Steve Walters just yet!
Badandmean
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Badandmean »

Thanks for getting in early guys.

And I hear you about Curtis Scott, probably been featured a bit much this preseason.

For everyone else the fourth episode of the Bad And Mean podcast is available on iTunes at https://apple.co/2Z4tW2 and on podbean at https://bit.ly/36V9ZNC

We run through our selections for the best ever team (spoiler - a few big names miss out) and touch on the Leilua/scott dramas of last week.

Let us know what you think or what changes you would make!
Badandmean
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Badandmean »

I absolutely loved Chicka as a kid, but my thoughts were that even though he's hugely memorable for some big moments, he was 32 when he came to Canberra so I don't think his best years were in green. But that said he wouldn't look out of place in any raiders side. He definitely deserved a mention, apologies. We could have talked for hours if we went through everyone we loved.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Bad And Mean podcast

Post by greeneyed »

Chicka is the first winger picked!

For interest, this the 35 year dream team as voted by the readers of The Greenhouse: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=31412

Do it every five years so the next update is due in a couple of years.

Badandmean
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Badandmean »

Noa was terrific. Be a big ask to unseat Mullins/Nagas for me though.
There's a few under 100 gamers in that list which was one of the unwritten criteria of our selections.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Chicka was a phenomenon because he came here at 32 and still had his best years here.

How many players have had the Bruce crowd chant their name? You can count a handful at most. How many had it chanted every match, multiple times as the crowd thrilled to the feat they knew was coming? Beating that first tackler every time? Zooming through the gap?

Just Chicka. One and only. Not Ricky, not Mal, not Toots Snr or Junior, not Wiki... Just Chicka. There's a reason for that. He was bloody good. Not just attack, teams didn't bother trying to target Chicka in defence either. We've scored tries in grand finals off tackles where he drives the shoulder in, gets the guy going backward and knocks the ball out.

Chicka
Daylight
Rapana/Noa/Mullins/Nagas/Hoppe/Monaghan - arguable.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The thing is... Mullins only played 12 games on the wing for the Raiders. He actually played a lot more games for the Raiders at centre (48). If he doesn't make it at fullback... and for mine Belcher is the best fullback all round... then he shouldn't be in the team. I'd argue he only qualifies for the team at fullback or centre (minimum 20 games). That's tough, given how mercurial he was in 1994 and 1995... but there are almost 40 years of great players.

Nagas not in the same class at Chicka Ferguson or Noa Nadruku for mine.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

greeneyed wrote: February 6, 2020, 1:08 pm The thing is... Mullins only played 12 games on the wing for the Raiders. He actually played a lot more games for the Raiders at centre (48). If he doesn't make it at fullback... and for mine Belcher is the best fullback all round... then he shouldn't be in the team. I'd argue he only qualifies for the team at fullback or centre (minimum 20 games). That's tough, given how mercurial he was in 1994 and 1995... but there are almost 40 years of great players.

Tough but fair calls GE.

Whats your thoughts on hooker?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Johno wrote: February 6, 2020, 6:06 pm
greeneyed wrote: February 6, 2020, 1:08 pm The thing is... Mullins only played 12 games on the wing for the Raiders. He actually played a lot more games for the Raiders at centre (48). If he doesn't make it at fullback... and for mine Belcher is the best fullback all round... then he shouldn't be in the team. I'd argue he only qualifies for the team at fullback or centre (minimum 20 games). That's tough, given how mercurial he was in 1994 and 1995... but there are almost 40 years of great players.

Tough but fair calls GE.

Whats your thoughts on hooker?
I think Steve Walters has only been exceeded as a hooker by Cameron Smith... amongst the players I’ve ever seen. The podcast highlights how styles have changed over time, not just at dummy half. But I think it’s far too early to say Hodgson has gone past Walters. Hodgson is definitely in the top two hookers for Canberra though IMO.
Badandmean
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Badandmean »

The Mullins one is interesting. Good starts around number of games played in positions. I’d think for pure influence, and given an ability to cover multiple positions, Mullins still makes it for me.

Walters and Hodgson was a split decision. I went Walters but I can see how on an individual level Hodgson might have more influence on a result. For me he needs to win a premiership to be in strong consideration. I also think it’s hard because we tend to view boxhead as someone who changed the role of hooker and Hodgson won’t do that but take cam smith out and he’s the best hooker going around

BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Badandmean wrote: February 6, 2020, 6:58 pm The Mullins one is interesting. Good starts around number of games played in positions. I’d think for pure influence, and given an ability to cover multiple positions, Mullins still makes it for me.

Walters and Hodgson was a split decision. I went Walters but I can see how on an individual level Hodgson might have more influence on a result. For me he needs to win a premiership to be in strong consideration. I also think it’s hard because we tend to view boxhead as someone who changed the role of hooker and Hodgson won’t do that but take cam smith out and he’s the best hooker going around

Where do you put Mullins tho?

Better FB than Badge? Objectively, all round, no.

Better winger than Noa or Rapana- again, probably not and @greeneyed makes the case he didn't play enough there...

Assuming Mal has one centre sewn up, I guess Mullins can make a play. Assume also Wiki will be in the pack as an older player, not the outstanding tyro he was at centre. He probably edges out Toots Jnr on sheer attacking quality.

Comes down to Mullo vs Joey I think for other centre (Jacko neither as electrifying as either and with arguably same or worse defence). One electric fast... One strong as an ox. Both outrageously skillful and x factor players. Neither considered a great defender but Joey more physical- then again in a more physical era. My heart says Joey but I can understand an argument for Mullo.

Boxhead was phenomenal. Easy to forget he was just as skilled as Hodgo- just that the skills changed a bit. Walters had to be able to scrummage effectively for much of his career. His rake back was a work of art as effective and feared in it's day as the Hodgo strip- the smarts to identify targets and THEN wait for the perfect moment to strike is very similar. His pass and decision making was just as good- perhaps a smidge less deception and slightly stronger/quicker service but equal overall. Defence- Walters was a more effective tackler in the middle, you couldn't overpower him. His running game was incredible- the tractor. All strength.

Hodgo is more creative and a better kicker. He's taken over some of the "Ricky" role in a way as the hooker has evolved to outsource the power game to the lock and take up some of the kicking and creativity from the halves (I'd say they've always been organisers).

Hard to split them. We've had time to witness Walters career in its entirety. He's had more success. But if we win a comp with this era, we'll be able to look on the Hodgo signing as pivotal as Meninga's- in their skills, influence on matches, ability to shape the club and not least of all, draw other signings from their respective regions at key periods in the clubs history.
Badandmean
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Badandmean »

Hey guys, the fifth episode of the Bad And Mean podcast is now available on iTunes, Google Play, Spotify and Podbean. Check us at badandmean on Instagram for links.

We run through the latest news and preview Supercoach in 2020. Who’s playing? We’ve got a few spots left in our private comp, please join us - league code is 820272

Our next episode will be a preview of Round 1 in the week leading to the game against the Titans.

Badandmean
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Badandmean »

Hey guys, episode 6 of Canberra’s fourth most popular Raiders podcast has now dropped. Give it a listen and let us know your thoughts. Can’t wait for Friday night!

Available on iTunes @ https://apple.co/2Z4tW2 and Spotify @ https://spoti.fi/397xyUI