Wests Tigers sign Joey Leilua from Canberra Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Re: Wests Tigers consider signing Joey Leilua from Canberra Raiders

Post by yeh raiders »

papabear wrote: January 20, 2020, 8:15 am I dunno, it just appears ot me that we have moved further away from winning a premiership next year as opposed to closer.
If we lose Joey, yes.

All else remains to be seen. I’m expecting improvements from the majority of the squad, with natural progression and maturity.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

Career ending injuries don't really matter any more. Just retire and get a salary cap exemption and pay the player to be an ambassador.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

We won a heap of games last year when BJ was out injured, I think those performances with a highly paid outside back sitting on the sideline and the fact a few other star players have there hand out wanting upgrades is about all there is to it.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

kona_dream wrote:Career ending injuries don't really matter any more. Just retire and get a salary cap exemption and pay the player to be an ambassador.
Also get to sign the best players from the weakest clubs with a net zero effect on your salary cap.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

BJ wrote: January 20, 2020, 12:42 pm
kona_dream wrote:Career ending injuries don't really matter any more. Just retire and get a salary cap exemption and pay the player to be an ambassador.
Also get to sign the best players from the weakest clubs with a net zero effect on your salary cap.
best players full stop, latrell mitchell was hardly from a weak club.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

papabear wrote: January 20, 2020, 8:15 am I dunno, it just appears ot me that we have moved further away from winning a premiership next year as opposed to closer.
I think we've got the squad to challenge for a premiership this year. I was a bit worried a few months back about our chances this year if we lost Leilua but Curtis Scott is a great replacement. Simonsson for Rapana isn't a bad trade off either. I wouldn't rank either above the player they're replacing but they're both younger players on the rise whereas the two they're replacing are older players on the wane.

We then have a bunch of rookie forwards in Horsburgh, Guler, Sutton, Young etc. who should all improve this season after getting some game time in first grade last year. I'd also argue that Tapine is yet to hit his ceiling. There is also capacity to blood another rookie or two.

I think the positives here outweigh the negatives. The only real question mark is whether George Williams will be a serviceable half at the NRL level. But if you compare our gains/losses going in to 2020 across the NRL, we're not looking too shabby imo.
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

After the NRL blocked rapana coming back on a cheap deal i had the feeling they would look to get rid of BJ to free up cap space for rapana to return.

If this happens will people like that more or would they prefer to keep BJ?
raider 4 life
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

nemesis wrote: January 20, 2020, 2:27 pm After the NRL blocked rapana coming back on a cheap deal i had the feeling they would look to get rid of BJ to free up cap space for rapana to return.

It all comes down to cost and it's impossible to say without knowing the exact position of the club as far as the salary cap goes
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

nemesis wrote:After the NRL blocked rapana coming back on a cheap deal i had the feeling they would look to get rid of BJ to free up cap space for rapana to return.

It completely depends on whether Jordy is forever a shadow of his former self or whether he just needed a full injury free pre season under the belt to get back to his best. We'll probably never know now as he's not going to have a pre season with us even if he does come back after his rugby stint.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

pato2j
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: big Mal

Post by pato2j »

Wests Tigers target Joey Leilua after missing out on Latrell Mitchell

After Latrell Mitchell’s snub, Wests Tigers know they need to make a statement signing and are ready to try to reign in one of the game’s most erratic players. Wests Tigers have made some poor recruitment decisions in recent years. Now they are ready to gamble on one of the NRL’s most volatile players.

But while the anticipated of signing Joey Leilua is another decision that could easily backfire, it also has the makings of a terrific partnership.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... bbabde7ac5
DarkRaider
Glenn Lazarus

Post by DarkRaider »

I think the characterization of Leilua as volatile/erratic etc in some of the media is pretty unfair. He makes the odd dumb play but he’s been consistently and overwhelming great in his 4.5 seasons in Canberra. 2x Dally M centre of the year even after injury robbed him of last season in which he was looking really strong, not to mention how well he returned from such a serious injury.

There’s a genuine case to be made that he’s the outright best centre in the game IMO. Certainly more consistent than Mitchell who won the Dally M last year in Joey’s absence. I can see why the club isn’t keen to resign him longer term on big dollars (and I think the replacement signing is a very, very good one). But I’ll be sad to see him go a year early as we’re a worse team without him and he’ll be comfortably the best player in that Wests side.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

I’m just not sure that madge and his robotic training/systems are going to be good for Joey.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Coastalraider wrote: January 20, 2020, 6:50 pm I’m just not sure that madge and his robotic training/systems are going to be good for Joey.
If he goes to the Tigers I sure hope that's the case!

But I would say that if he goes, he's going to be eating up more of their cap than people would expect. He's on more at the Raiders than you'd think too, because the coach loved him precisely for his x-factory. So when he was told he could test the market, I thought it was because that would demonstrate to him that he'd been on a pretty good wicket in Canberra. And until now that has seemed to be the case.

However, if the Tigers are prepared to match his current salary and have made the assumption that he will be the identical player at Homebush-Leichardt-Concorde-wherever the hell they are based, good luck to them. I'd suggest, as CoastalRaider says, that it won't work and the myth will go on that he's not worth the effort...
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

Will be sad to see Joey move on if it does play out that way, but can understand it if that’s the price we have to pay to retain Jack and Nic plus upgrade Bateman.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Tigers don't have to match Leilua's contract for 2020... the Raiders have already paid a quarter of it... and the longer it goes, the more the Raiders will have paid.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Azza wrote: January 20, 2020, 8:29 am Yeah I agree - unless George Williams really fires. Again, I'm not sure of the logic behind the scenes but on the face of it I would have been very happy to keep him for another year
If G.Williams aint it, Beej isnt going to save us from the turn in fortunes that's coming.
Im very keen on keeping Beej and to me he's my #4 until he's not here and Scott/Simo situation can figure itself out, but i dont agree we've moved further away... at least not on paper

There is absolutely no reason to believe an international half wont be an upgrade @ #7. And as long as he is, we're a better team even without Joey. Scott is no bum, he's a very talented footballer, different sort of player but very talented.

Overall, whilst i want to keep Beej... this season and our chances rest on George Williams. If he's legit quality NRL half, we're going to be really hard to beat, with or without Beej... if he sucks, we're going to be in for a decline, with or without Beej.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I can only imagine how much trouble BJ and his brother could cause on an edge together...... but if they got it right they could tear apart any edge - with a speedy winger outside them.

This could be the Tigers best signing in quite a while.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

I know they said he was training with the rehab group last week but it’s possible he is just staying away until this is sorted.
No sightings in gear on the gram (his or other players) and just starting to smell like it’s a done deal being finalised and announced.
I hope not. I think we are a better team with him and that’s bottom line for me.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

I would love Joey to stay , but I also understand both sides if he goes.

Wish him all the best.

Tigers would be mad not to sign him.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

greeneyed wrote: January 20, 2020, 7:58 pm The Tigers don't have to match Leilua's contract for 2020... the Raiders have already paid a quarter of it... and the longer it goes, the more the Raiders will have paid.
No they don't, but they have to pay him a salary that's enough to make him want to move rather than accept a possible downgrade in Canberra. Why would he move for a wage that's less than what he's on here, or less than what he could get for maybe a slight downgrade here? Unless he's been told that he's not wanted here at all, and that isn't the case as far as I know.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Lui_Bon wrote: January 20, 2020, 9:25 pm
greeneyed wrote: January 20, 2020, 7:58 pm The Tigers don't have to match Leilua's contract for 2020... the Raiders have already paid a quarter of it... and the longer it goes, the more the Raiders will have paid.
No they don't, but they have to pay him a salary that's enough to make him want to move rather than accept a possible downgrade in Canberra. Why would he move for a wage that's less than what he's on here, or less than what he could get for maybe a slight downgrade here? Unless he's been told that he's not wanted here at all, and that isn't the case as far as I know.
His brother is at the tigers and all his family are in Sydney, possibly more reasons to go then stay in canberra.

There are some boys I can see staying in Canberra once they retire, bj is not one of them
Vaccinated
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Raiders should put their foot down and not agree to release Joey to the Tigers unless they agree to a player swap for *checks Tigers roster*.. for erm.. *still panning Tigers roster*... eh never mind.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Old School Green wrote: January 20, 2020, 8:29 pm I know they said he was training with the rehab group last week but it’s possible he is just staying away until this is sorted.
No sightings in gear on the gram (his or other players) and just starting to smell like it’s a done deal being finalised and announced.
I hope not. I think we are a better team with him and that’s bottom line for me.
Wests Tigers meet Joey Leilua, prepare to offer Doueihi a deal

Wests Tigers have cranked up their recruitment drive by meeting Canberra giant Joey Leilua on Monday and completing the finer details on a contract they will offer Adam Doueihi in the next 48 hours.

Leilua met with club boss Justin Pascoe and coach Michael Maguire about swapping Canberra for Concord, despite having a year to run on his deal at the Green Machine.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/wests- ... 53t3f.html

Makes it sound like they're early in negotiations. He hasn't been offered a deal yet. But in saying that he's gone if the Tigers make an offer. I can't see any reason why they wouldn't.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

cat wrote: January 20, 2020, 9:31 pm
Lui_Bon wrote: January 20, 2020, 9:25 pm
His brother is at the tigers and all his family are in Sydney, possibly more reasons to go then stay in canberra.

There are some boys I can see staying in Canberra once they retire, bj is not one of them
Well, if his wife wants to stay he's more likely too. Though maybe now that the Rapanas are gone there's less incentive.

But obviously it's about money to a large degree, and maybe she'd like to live in Sydney too. I'm not saying he's staying, I'm saying he Tigers will be paying him a lot...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders centre Joey Leilua a step closer to Wests Tigers switch after meeting Michael Maguire

Wests Tigers are edging closer to landing their long-desired backline strike power after a positive meeting with Canberra’s Joey Leilua on Monday.

Leilua met with coach Michael Maguire and is understood to be keen on an immediate move to the Tigers should a reasonable multi-year offer be tabled.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/20/lei ... e-meeting/

Madge could be just what Joey needs: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... bbabde7ac5

Wests Tigers meet Joey Leilua, prepare to offer Doueihi a deal: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/wests- ... 53t3f.html
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Sad to see BJ leave, he will be a massive loss...... out injured majority of the season, should’ve thrown the pass in the GF and played rubbish while captaining Samoa.....hard but smart decision by the club... sometimes you just got to cut a man loose
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

BJ on 700k for 2020, we probably got Curtis Scott for around half of that
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Botman wrote: January 20, 2020, 8:07 pm
Azza wrote: January 20, 2020, 8:29 am Yeah I agree - unless George Williams really fires. Again, I'm not sure of the logic behind the scenes but on the face of it I would have been very happy to keep him for another year
If G.Williams aint it, Beej isnt going to save us from the turn in fortunes that's coming.
Im very keen on keeping Beej and to me he's my #4 until he's not here and Scott/Simo situation can figure itself out, but i dont agree we've moved further away... at least not on paper

There is absolutely no reason to believe an international half wont be an upgrade @ #7. And as long as he is, we're a better team even without Joey. Scott is no bum, he's a very talented footballer, different sort of player but very talented.

Overall, whilst i want to keep Beej... this season and our chances rest on George Williams. If he's legit quality NRL half, we're going to be really hard to beat, with or without Beej... if he sucks, we're going to be in for a decline, with or without Beej.
If Williams ends up however as a "solid" but not spectacular halfback in our squad, then we will still need that x factor / strike power (kind of like Sezer this year). I guess this is all guesswork and time will tell.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

kiwi raider wrote: January 21, 2020, 6:18 am BJ on 700k for 2020, we probably got Curtis Scott for around half of that
Scott was on 1.5 million over 3 years at the Storm. I'm guessing it was an incremental deal so he'd be on 500-550 this year.

I find it strange replacing a centre as dynamic as BJ with a solid centre. I would have thought Scott would have been a much better replacement for Croker if we were wanting some youth in the backline.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Azza wrote: January 21, 2020, 6:22 am

If Williams ends up however as a "solid" but not spectacular halfback in our squad, then we will still need that x factor / strike power (kind of like Sezer this year). I guess this is all guesswork and time will tell.
The fact G-Williams was substantially below Jackson Hastings in the English half rankings is my concern. Time will tell as you say.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah fair point... it's weird though, because there is a WIDE area of grey where he could land and be as you said, just a solid but unspectacular Sezer type... but i dont see it. I think he's going to be really good, or really bad :lol:
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Doueihi to Tigers with BJ. Titans aren’t getting a look in
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: January 21, 2020, 6:48 am

The fact G-Williams was substantially below Jackson Hastings in the English half rankings is my concern. Time will tell as you say.
Jackson who?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

sprintman wrote: January 21, 2020, 7:15 am Doueihi to Tigers with BJ. Titans aren’t getting a look in
I like what the tigers are doing.
I think they're going to be a good team in the not to distant future
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I don’t think signing Douehi is a positive move for them tbh.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.