Wests Tigers sign Joey Leilua from Canberra Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Wests Tigers sign Joey Leilua from Canberra Raiders

Post by Seiffert82 »

Some interesting takes on what went wrong here.

FWIW, we are only hearing one side of the story - and how the message from Stuart was heard by Leilua - not what Stuart actually said.

I highly suspect the conversation about "not being good enough" was about attitude rather than ability. It may all stem back to the falling out with Austin, and we all know Leilua isn't the greatest of trainers.

Stuart wants our squad to conduct themselves on the training park like the Melbourne Storm have. If you don't bring that attitude to the equation, you're out.

Fair enough too. Hope Curtis Scott is listening.
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

Peter wrote: January 30, 2020, 11:18 am This just confirms why Ricky made the right decision in getting rid of him.

If you can’t take constructive criticism as a highly paid professional, you are either mentally weak or in the wrong industry.

I have no issues with BJ’s confidence around his ability, I actually applaud that. It’s probably what makes him one of the best centres in the game.

However, his attitude and response to Stick telling him he is not good enough for the team and missing a training camp due to being overweight stamped his papers.

All he has to do is look at how Papa handled being demoted for similar, how he spoke at the time, how he accepted responsibility and ultimately how he returned to be the best player in the club and arguably one of the most dominant players of ‘19.

I’ll miss the best of Leilua but I think overall the club is better off without him. He will have the same issues after a couple of years at the tigers too.
100%
raider 4 life
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Matt wrote:
Botman wrote: January 30, 2020, 7:43 am I got no issue with what he said
All centres at their absolute best, ive got him second behind Latrell... problem with guys like Latrell and Beej is the wide variance.
Beej found a little more consistency here with us but was still had those 5/10 games somewhat regularly... where as someone like say Joseph Manu, probably isnt going to give you many 9-10/10 games in his career. But he's going to be at 7-8 just about every damn week.

Every player should feel like their the best, that's how they got here. He didnt **** on Croker, he just said he felt he was the clubs best centre. Good he should feel that way. Scott should feel that way, Croker should feel that way, HSS should feel that way. You arent going to do **** as an athlete if you dont feel that way, because it doesnt matter how much others believe in you, if you dont believe in yourself you'll never reach the highest levels your capable of.
I think Ricky's comment is being taken out of context here. Blind Freddie will tell you BJ was the most talented centre on the roster. Ricky wasnt saying he couldnt make the team on ability. He couldnt make the team on what happens between the ears and output during the wk.
I feel like I recall an interview Stick did on NRL360 late in the season. He was asked about what he could do to help Beej keep in check, and his response was a pretty blunt “Nothing, that’s up to BJ to manage.” Or something along those lines.

Remember thinking at the point that it sounded as though he had enough of the shenanigans
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

If you believe "X factor" and "Tough carries" are the only things we will miss with BJ gone, then you gravely underestimate his brain explosions and poor defensive reads.....at a premium price no less.

The truth is that Jack is a better centre than BJ, and he's our 5/8th.

The side mouth comments about Ricky are nothing more than petty and childish...a perception most people would have had about BJ.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

GreenMachine wrote:If you believe "X factor" and "Tough carries" are the only things we will miss with BJ gone, then you gravely underestimate his brain explosions and poor defensive reads.....at a premium price no less.

The side mouth comments about Ricky are nothing more than petty and childish...a perception most people would have had about BJ.
It's be mentioned by many in Rugby league circles that centre is the toughest defensive position on the field and I think his defensive issues are overstated as they did reduce as soon as Blake moved.

As for his positives vs negatives - I think they balance each other out.

As for his comments. Who cares? They'll be forgotten in 6 months.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

See ya Joey, thanks for the good things you did.
However.
I hope you have a **** year with the tigers, you got left out of the round 21 team because you got fat with your injury.
If you were a true professional athlete you could of taken that on the chin and actually earned your 600k in a winning team. Now I'll just remember you as an ****.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

As for Ricky’s comment about him not being good enough for this team, everybody is just assuming that he is talking about footballing ability. It’s got nothing to do with it. The bloke is the best centre in the game on his day. Being a good team person and meeting expectations off the field is just as important.

We know Stick has high standards on and off the park. He and Don have spoken about the no **** policy in place. I’m pretty sure that BJ was not ticking all boxes expected of him. By the sounds of it, attitude the worst one of all.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

gergreg wrote: January 30, 2020, 5:28 pm
GreenMachine wrote:If you believe "X factor" and "Tough carries" are the only things we will miss with BJ gone, then you gravely underestimate his brain explosions and poor defensive reads.....at a premium price no less.

It's be mentioned by many in Rugby league circles that centre is the toughest defensive position on the field and I think his defensive issues are overstated as they did reduce as soon as Blake moved.

As for his positives vs negatives - I think they balance each other out.

As for his comments. Who cares? They'll be forgotten in 6 months.

The "defensive weakness" spouters would literally not be happy with any centre in the game. Joey was better defensively in 2019 than BOTH opposition Gf centres that year so I really don't know what else would satisfy them?
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Neeeegz wrote: January 30, 2020, 5:40 pm See ya Joey, thanks for the good things you did.
However.
I hope you have a **** year with the tigers, you got left out of the round 21 team because you got fat with your injury.
If you were a true professional athlete you could of taken that on the chin and actually earned your 600k in a winning team. Now I'll just remember you as an ****.
Wow. He injured his spine playing for the Raiders and was STILL willing to come back and play ferociously.

I wish him all the best.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Peter wrote: January 30, 2020, 6:12 pm As for Ricky’s comment about him not being good enough for this team, everybody is just assuming that he is talking about footballing ability. It’s got nothing to do with it. The bloke is the best centre in the game on his day. Being a good team person and meeting expectations off the field is just as important.

We know Stick has high standards on and off the park. He and Don have spoken about the no **** policy in place. I’m pretty sure that BJ was not ticking all boxes expected of him. By the sounds of it, attitude the worst one of all.
Still a better attitude than C Scotts :roflmao
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

That whole article made me feel very happy with our decision to let BJ go.
What I think is very telling is 2 things,
1. who was at his wedding compared to Rapana's
2. Not all the players wished him luck/good bye etc on instagram compared to others who have gone

BJ was hard work, I think we were winning the battle with him BUT all the media went to his head and he was getting harder and harder to deflate.

Last off season papa got married, he didnt want extra time off, if i recall correctly he skipped the honeymoon so he could get back to training and be ready to play. He certainly didnt stack on the kilos then sook he was left behind

We will know the truth when we play him (if he isnt injured or suspended for doing dumb things in Sydney). You can tell the players the current squad want to catch up with and those they want to bury in the ground.
Vaccinated
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

This thread is a classic example of how fickle a fan base is. Love a player to death while his at your club, even willing to overlook a players shortcomings.... but as soon as he's pulling on another team's jersey those same fans start taking cheapshots at him.

I haven't read the article about BJs apparent feud with Ricky. I don't need to. It's obviously a bloke making some comments in the heat of the moment because this club meant something to him and his hurting about no longer being a part of this club.

He played pretty awesome for our club over a couple of years, probably better than anybody could have hoped for. I say again - I wish him the best for the future.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I'll miss him, what a highlight reel he'll have at the end of his career - he's a winner and that's immeasurable

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

We released a great footy player.

The Tiges have gained a monster.

I'll miss him as well..lets hope the club doesn't.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Good luck with the Tigers Joey, thanks for the memories. I hope you kill it, except against us. 😊
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Joey started the cheap shots gerg. Fans have a right to respond.
Zip Zip
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Zip Zip »

Neeeegz wrote: January 30, 2020, 5:40 pm See ya Joey, thanks for the good things you did.
However.
That's a really **** post.

This is all a bit pathetic. He helped us get to our first GF in 25 years and should be remembered fondly. Players move on, it happens. He's upset because he wanted to stay at the club, that should be looked at positively.
"Look sorry if that came across wrong, I was just referring to the jokes we were making about all the desperate guys who chase you. Hope to catch up some time, but if not best of luck with everything."
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

As for the conversation, if you think about how it might sound coming from the two characters, add an emphasis on the word "THIS" and remember that THIS team was picked after a big win, i.e.:

I asked him if he thought I wasn’t good enough for the team, and he said, ‘you’re not good enough for this team’

Possibly Joey didn't know the difference.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I think (initially at least) we are weaker without him.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Neeeegz wrote: January 31, 2020, 10:05 am Joey started the cheap shots gerg. Fans have a right to respond.
What cheap shot?
Why are you all up in your business about a professional athlete being confident about his own abilities. He didnt name any player, he explained a situation he and Sticky had, no cheap shots there, just relaying how that conversation went down from his perspective and why it made him feel like it was time to move on

You'd have to be a real precious **** to feel slighted by what Beej said :lol:
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

gergreg wrote: January 30, 2020, 10:19 pm This thread is a classic example of how fickle a fan base is. Love a player to death while his at your club, even willing to overlook a players shortcomings.... but as soon as he's pulling on another team's jersey those same fans start taking cheapshots at him.

I haven't read the article about BJs apparent feud with Ricky. I don't need to. It's obviously a bloke making some comments in the heat of the moment because this club meant something to him and his hurting about no longer being a part of this club.

He played pretty awesome for our club over a couple of years, probably better than anybody could have hoped for. I say again - I wish him the best for the future.

Totally agree.

He's not a Raider so he's the enemy.

He's excited about playing at WT with his bro and good luck to him.

Give the guy a break. It's childish.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

nemesis wrote: January 30, 2020, 2:49 pm
Peter wrote: January 30, 2020, 11:18 am This just confirms why Ricky made the right decision in getting rid of him.

If you can’t take constructive criticism as a highly paid professional, you are either mentally weak or in the wrong industry.

I have no issues with BJ’s confidence around his ability, I actually applaud that. It’s probably what makes him one of the best centres in the game.

However, his attitude and response to Stick telling him he is not good enough for the team and missing a training camp due to being overweight stamped his papers.

All he has to do is look at how Papa handled being demoted for similar, how he spoke at the time, how he accepted responsibility and ultimately how he returned to be the best player in the club and arguably one of the most dominant players of ‘19.

I’ll miss the best of Leilua but I think overall the club is better off without him. He will have the same issues after a couple of years at the tigers too.
100%
Everyday
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: January 31, 2020, 12:02 pm
Neeeegz wrote: January 31, 2020, 10:05 am Joey started the cheap shots gerg. Fans have a right to respond.
What cheap shot?
Why are you all up in your business about a professional athlete being confident about his own abilities. He didnt name any player, he explained a situation he and Sticky had, no cheap shots there, just relaying how that conversation went down from his perspective and why it made him feel like it was time to move on

You'd have to be a real precious **** to feel slighted by what Beej said :lol:
He was just having a bit of a vent. Cheap shot? No. Unnecessary? Maybe. Not really something we fans should be bothered with.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

100%.

Every person including myself wished him the best with his move...then he opened his mouth about Ricky hoping to gain what exactly?
BJ should be eternally grateful Ricky took a punt on him when he was rotting at the dumpster fire club that the Newcastle Knights were at the time.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Lucky I don't care what the **** nickpigrickbotman says. Like many others that visit this forum and are forced to read his self opinionated and laughable posts.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

That's a very interesting remark coming from someone acting like an absolute **** child because a professional footballer is playing for another club.
Total snowflake
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

[grabs popcorn]
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Neeeegz wrote: January 31, 2020, 1:06 pm Lucky I don't care what the **** nickpigrickbotman says. Like many others that visit this forum and are forced to read his self opinionated and laughable posts.
Outrageous. His official name is nickpigrrainbowtickrick man.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Roger Kenworthy wrote: January 31, 2020, 1:57 pm
Neeeegz wrote: January 31, 2020, 1:06 pm Lucky I don't care what the **** nickpigrickbotman says. Like many others that visit this forum and are forced to read his self opinionated and laughable posts.
Outrageous. His official name is nickpigrrainbowtickrick man.
AKA: Mr 0%
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Well, nickpigrrainbowtickrick man aka Mr 0% would just someone to explain to how what Beej said was a cheap shot at anyone?
Like which of the quotes here was disrespectful and a cheap shot?

even in his quotes he went out of his way to say how much he still respect Stuart as a coach for what he'd done for him. He said he knew he was better than MOST centres here, not even all! MOST! As in maybe not all of them.

Can you imagine being so precious as to feel like you have to "respond" to that as a fan? I cant imagine being that sort of weirdo.
Gerg is right, it just highlights how fickle fans are. And why players shouldnt give the faintest **** about their "fans" because you're one move (and lets be clear, this was mutual, this club wanted him out just as much if not more than he wanted out, we sent him packing!) away from them all hating you anyways.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

I don't care. He's old news. All I said is it's poor form.
Sorry for having an opinion that differs from yours, but like always, here is where I tell you to go **** yourself you entitled wanker.
You must of been an only child.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

GreenMachine wrote: January 31, 2020, 12:35 pm
100%.

Every person including myself wished him the best with his move...then he opened his mouth about Ricky hoping to gain what exactly?
BJ should be eternally grateful Ricky took a punt on him when he was rotting at the dumpster fire club that the Newcastle Knights were at the time.
Agree, in many cases fans felt sorry for him having to leave a team he loved but understood if the money and opportunity to be close to family and play with his brother were there he had to take it.

What bj has done here is put a big X on himself this season and especially when he plays us.

If you talk the talk " Im the best centre" etc you better walk the walk or the media, fans and former team mates will put the boot in real fast
Vaccinated
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

cat wrote:
GreenMachine wrote: January 31, 2020, 12:35 pm
100%.

Agree, in many cases fans felt sorry for him having to leave a team he loved but understood if the money and opportunity to be close to family and play with his brother were there he had to take it.

What bj has done here is put a big X on himself this season and especially when he plays us.

If you talk the talk " Im the best centre" etc you better walk the walk or the media, fans and former team mates will put the boot in real fast
Geez i bet he is shaking in his boots with the dreaded “X” on him.......

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

I'm our captain's biggest fan but BJ is gonna do a Hurrell on Croker when they meet, no doubt about it

I'm just praying for for plenty of errors from BJ as well that day.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

EJ wrote:Image

I'm our captain's biggest fan but BJ is gonna do a Hurrell on Croker when they meet, no doubt about it Image

I'm just praying for for plenty of errors from BJ as well that day.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I don’t think “Doing a Hurrell” means what you think it means.

If he does do a Hurrell, I hope the footage doesn’t get out
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021