Wests Tigers sign Joey Leilua from Canberra Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: Wests Tigers sign Joey Leilua from Canberra Raiders

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: January 25, 2020, 5:05 pm I strongly suspect Timoko has earned himself a new deal with his pre season... There seems to be a little bit of uncertainty about his contract status... he's listed in the Jersey Flegg training squad, but was not identified as an under 20s player in the 2020 pre season squad announcements... but as a train and trial player, which makes sense as he's just turned 20.
He is a perfect BJ replacement, plays the same way.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: January 25, 2020, 5:46 pm And now that this is over, if you need me I’ll be over here taking my victory lap, because this played out exactly as I said it would the entire time

Botman was right, and you know it!
:lol:
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Botman wrote: January 25, 2020, 7:13 pm We need someone to put together the Lapana highlights package, that would be a solid 10 minutes of fun football. So many incredibly fun and cool moments
Still remember BJ's outrageous "around the body" flick pass to Rapana vs the West Tigers in 2016 at Leichardt. Wow.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

He had many great moments but many **** moments, running out of the line, trying to be the tough guy, not passing when its the obvious play, being fat and unfit.

But yes he won matches for us but he lost some too, im happy with the clubs decision on this.

3 year contract at the Tigers?
Id guess he wont see it out without a ton of drama.

Curtis Scott could well be a great "replacement"
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Johno wrote: January 25, 2020, 7:55 pm Curtis Scott could well be a great "replacement"
That's what he signed to be. I dont know what Matt is going on about uptop here. But Scott is the Beej replacement. And that may change if this HSS dude is a stud, or Cotric gets moved there again to cover injury and is dominant there or some other guy just bursts onto the scene

But the club's plan right now i think appears to be Croker-Scott for the next 2-3 years... beyond that is too far ahead to plan for a sporting organisation.
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

Matt wrote: January 25, 2020, 7:39 pm
greeneyed wrote: January 25, 2020, 5:05 pm I strongly suspect Timoko has earned himself a new deal with his pre season... There seems to be a little bit of uncertainty about his contract status... he's listed in the Jersey Flegg training squad, but was not identified as an under 20s player in the 2020 pre season squad announcements... but as a train and trial player, which makes sense as he's just turned 20.
He is a perfect BJ replacement, plays the same way.
Couldn't agree more from what I've seen of him reminds me of a young BJ
Shano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: The dood with the boofy hair

Post by Shano »

I'm really happy that he's moved on, a positive for the club's chances in 2020
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Him leaving for the upcoming season was always on the cards, regardless of the statements both he and the club made. As soon as Mitchell fell through for the Tigers, it felt inevitable.

He'll be a massive loss for us and should be a brilliant acquisition for the Tigers. Even though he hasn't gained the rep honours he probably should have given his performances, he's still managed to come on in leaps and bounds in his time here, finally becoming the player he always promised to be.

Talent wise at this point I'd take Leilua over Scott anyday, but the salary cap is brutal and doesn't allow you to hoard all your talent forever. I may not totally agree with the decision by the club, but I understand why they have to do this.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Such a beast charging out of dummy half and 80%+ of the time getting the team on a good roll forward. Rarely gets dominated in a tackle. He is just an old school bully on the field - looking - always - to put his physical presence over the top of anybody attempting to stand in his way.

I wish him the best, except when he plays against us.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Bon voyage BJ and thank you for the very many wonderful memories. Will always be remembered as one of our most exciting players.

I wonder if we'll now see the resignings of Cotric, Croker, Wighton and Bateman
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Sad he’s gone but very upbeat about our young prospects and Scott.
I applaud the Club’s handling of this.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

gergreg wrote: January 25, 2020, 8:27 pm Such a beast charging out of dummy half and 80%+ of the time getting the team on a good roll forward. Rarely gets dominated in a tackle. He is just an old school bully on the field - looking - always - to put his physical presence over the top of anybody attempting to stand in his way.

I wish him the best, except when he plays against us.

Given we’ve paid him 200k already this year surely we could have gone with that ‘can’t play against us this year’ condition ??
Didn’t he have that from Newcastle when he came here? Or was that Taps? :hmmm
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Good that the club has found a quality replacement to step in straight away. Scott is not Leilua, but he would almost certainly be $200+ k cheaper, younger and doesn't have the same serious injury concerns.

I was hopeful that the club was going to squeeze both players in to the lineup this season, but as that won't be happening, I'm glad it's sorted before the season kicked off.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Johno wrote: January 25, 2020, 7:55 pm He had many great moments but many **** moments, running out of the line, trying to be the tough guy, not passing when its the obvious play, being fat and unfit.

But yes he won matches for us but he lost some too, im happy with the clubs decision on this.

3 year contract at the Tigers?
Id guess he wont see it out without a ton of drama.

Curtis Scott could well be a great "replacement"
Joey was arguably our most exciting player in our best era in decades.

Of course there'll be a ton of drama at the Tigpies- but that's half the fun of Joey.

If his biggest offence was turning up one year after Samoan buffet camp then hang Papa forever too. Because he also played his best footy with us, was a bloke to rely on when the going got tough, got super fit again and was a champ with fans and respectful of the club.

I'll welcome Scott but I'm not salty on Joey at all. He's on a hiding to nothing coming back from his honeymoon, left out of camp and trying to get fit for pro sports on his own. I'll back him to be fit and tearing it up by mid season though and he's a rare ex Raider I'll still be cheering for wholeheartedly and would go out of my way to sit down and watch play anytime.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

It highlights how desperate the tigers are:- to sign a player with a bad neck injury in the twilight of his career
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

sprintman wrote:Club had no choice. The salary cap is a brutal leveller
Unless you’re the Roosters or Broncos
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Ilanraiders wrote: January 26, 2020, 7:13 am It highlights how desperate the tigers are:- to sign a player with a bad neck injury in the twilight of his career
He is only just 28, hardly over the hill.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
or souths, i think souths are probably the biggest cap cheats which is no surprise with Bennett at the helm

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Ilanraiders wrote:It highlights how desperate the tigers are:- to sign a player with a bad neck injury in the twilight of his career
The NRL has pretty much given a green light to sidestepping the salary cap through medical retirements so the Tigers have nothing to lose and everything to gain. But knowing how the NRL roll they'd probably block a medical retirement for BJ.

Tigers are where we were a few years ago. Their last decent signing - Matterson - walked out after a year and they were/are desperate for a decent signing. I've stated elsewhere that I think BJ is a great signing for them. They've had no x factor for a few seasons now. I'm interested to see the Leilua combination on an edge - if it happens and also Brooks combination with BJ. He's a handy little half who could benefit from BJ outside him.

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Really we are still in the same spot as the Tigers when it comes to recruitment. It's just we scout better than anyone.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

bonehead wrote: January 26, 2020, 8:11 am
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
or souths, i think souths are probably the biggest cap cheats which is no surprise with Bennett at the helm

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Close to signing Addo-Carr too
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

edwahu wrote:Really we are still in the same spot as the Tigers when it comes to recruitment. It's just we scout better than anyone.
I think we're a few years ahead of them. Like when Waqa was our guy. Not a big name but a positive influence and impact for the club. We've progressed from a 'where are they spending their cap' to nearly a 'how can they afford all those players' team.

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

edwahu wrote: January 26, 2020, 7:35 am
Ilanraiders wrote: January 26, 2020, 7:13 am It highlights how desperate the tigers are:- to sign a player with a bad neck injury in the twilight of his career
He is only just 28, hardly over the hill.
28 and only managed two line breaks and 125m run in the GF. But clearly a spinal case in the twilight of his career. Busted. Goooone.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'd like to thank BJL for his time in green.

On his day..a total beast.

Good luck at the Tiges BJ, but not too much..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

gergreg wrote: January 26, 2020, 9:32 am
edwahu wrote:Really we are still in the same spot as the Tigers when it comes to recruitment. It's just we scout better than anyone.
I think we're a few years ahead of them. Like when Waqa was our guy. Not a big name but a positive influence and impact for the club. We've progressed from a 'where are they spending their cap' to nearly a 'how can they afford all those players' team.

Yeah true, I think we wised up that throwing cash around at NRL players just gets you the players that the glamour clubs don't want. Hardly a winning strategy.
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

Losing Rapana was a blow but losing BJ as well is detrimental to prospects next season. Neither Scott or Simonsson are the in the same calibre as those two (yet, probably ever) and its hard to fathom that we can go one better than last year with an overall slightly weaker squad.
Raidersteve
Noa Nadruku

Post by Raidersteve »

rayden83 wrote: January 26, 2020, 10:41 am Losing Rapana was a blow but losing BJ as well is detrimental to prospects next season. Neither Scott or Simonsson are the in the same calibre as those two (yet, probably ever) and its hard to fathom that we can go one better than last year with an overall slightly weaker squad.
I would argue it comes down to G. Williams as to how we go this year more than our replacements for Rapana and BJ.

Rapana was awesome for us over his time at the club however, he was getting to end of his career and didn't really have the impact in 2019 he had in previous years.

BJ was rocks and diamonds throughout his time at the club but he was a weapon for us brought that x factor to the club. However, he missed a large part of the season through injury.

Losing those two players whilst disappointing shouldn't impact on our ability to compete this year.
Raidersteve
Noa Nadruku

Post by Raidersteve »

rayden83 wrote: January 26, 2020, 10:41 am Losing Rapana was a blow but losing BJ as well is detrimental to prospects next season. Neither Scott or Simonsson are the in the same calibre as those two (yet, probably ever) and its hard to fathom that we can go one better than last year with an overall slightly weaker squad.
I would argue it comes down to G. Williams as to how we go this year more than our replacements for Rapana and BJ.

Rapana was awesome for us over his time at the club however, he was getting to end of his career and didn't really have the impact in 2019 he had in previous years.

BJ was rocks and diamonds throughout his time at the club but he was a weapon for us brought that x factor to the club. However, he missed a large part of the season through injury.

Losing those two players whilst disappointing shouldn't impact on our ability to compete this year.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Raidersteve wrote: January 26, 2020, 11:15 am

Tend to agree. Leipana was magic for us but were doing it themselves. While Scott and Simonssen don't have that kind of impact they are still quality players. It then comes back to the halves making the players outside them better. We're therefore dependant on GWilliams to raise the bar in that department.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Raidersteve wrote: January 26, 2020, 11:15 am

Exactly. This was a move the club ultimately had to make with Leilua, whether this year or next. I was hopeful he'd stay, but clearly the coaching staff made a decisive and strategic move in another direction. Gotta back them on this one. Hopefully Scott is the goods!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The rationale behind it is sound. Now we see if it's a failure or success.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

rayden83 wrote:Losing Rapana was a blow but losing BJ as well is detrimental to prospects next season. Neither Scott or Simonsson are the in the same calibre as those two (yet, probably ever) and its hard to fathom that we can go one better than last year with an overall slightly weaker squad.
It’s a good thing. Look how lack of turnover impacted 2017. Good to have some fresh blood trying their guts out and keeping the standard high.

Plus look how well Simonsson started the bunnies Semi Image
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Storm final?
bayraider
Noa Nadruku

Post by bayraider »

EDIT.
Last edited by greeneyed on January 26, 2020, 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unsubstantiated report.