All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Wests Tigers consider signing Joey Leilua from Canberra Raiders

Post by Botman »

GreenMachine wrote: January 25, 2020, 7:01 am
greeneyed wrote: January 24, 2020, 5:01 pm If he's on the books until 1 March, we'd have paid $233,000 already. They probably don't deserve any more... they would have a player for $450,000 (roughly)... and they're reportedly offering to pay him $500,000, then $600,000 in the following two years. They realistically can't expect the Raiders to pay any more than $300,000.
Agree
That's not how this works
It doesnt matter what is "realistic" when you dont have the leverage in negotiations.

Im sure the Tigers and Beej are keen to link up and do a deal, but Beej will get his money either way, and the tigers arent trying to compete for a title next year, there is no desperation from them... the party most desperate to get this done is us, and the club can say what ever they want to publicly about this, and put on a brave face, but its clear at least to me, that the club is pretty desperate to get him off the books (for what reasons i can only speculate)

We have no leverage. If want to move Beej then we'll have to negotiate hard but ultimately we need to meet the demands of the club doing us the favour. And that's how this works. This idea that the Raiders can say "this is the most we're willing to pay and if that's not acceptable, then we'll just keep him" only works if the club is actually willing to keep him... and from what im seeing between the lines, they're not.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Botman wrote: January 25, 2020, 10:04 am
GreenMachine wrote: January 25, 2020, 7:01 am
greeneyed wrote: January 24, 2020, 5:01 pm If he's on the books until 1 March, we'd have paid $233,000 already. They probably don't deserve any more... they would have a player for $450,000 (roughly)... and they're reportedly offering to pay him $500,000, then $600,000 in the following two years. They realistically can't expect the Raiders to pay any more than $300,000.
Agree
That's not how this works
It doesnt matter what is "realistic" when you dont have the leverage in negotiations.

Im sure the Tigers and Beej are keen to link up and do a deal, but Beej will get his money either way, and the tigers arent trying to compete for a title next year, there is no desperation from them... the party most desperate to get this done is us, and the club can say what ever they want to publicly about this, and put on a brave face, but its clear at least to me, that the club is pretty desperate to get him off the books (for what reasons i can only speculate)

We have no leverage. If want to move Beej then we'll have to negotiate hard but ultimately we need to meet the demands of the club doing us the favour. And that's how this works. This idea that the Raiders can say "this is the most we're willing to pay and if that's not acceptable, then we'll just keep him" only works if the club is actually willing to keep him... and from what im seeing between the lines, they're not.
Pignickrainbowtickrick is on the money. We're the one looking to move the player on, I'd expect the Tigers to attempt to exploit that as much as possible in the deal. The same way I'd expect us to in a reverse scenario.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Reports a deal is done

David Riccio
@DaveRic1
·
8m
BREAKING: Done deal
@WestsTigers
Joey Leilua. Three years.
@telegraph_sport
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Depth is now:

Andre Niko
Harley Smith-Shields
Michael Oldfield
Sebastian Kris

Not as good as last years but not too bad either.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

That's pretty good depth really

They can all play everywhere at a pinch

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah I’ve got no issues with that depth... oldy is as good a back up winger as you could hope to have imo, and as I’ve said before, I’m a bit bullish on Kris, not that I think he’s a budding star but I think with the right chance he could end up one of those solid but unspectacular players who plays a long time in the nrl
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I'd think we will pick up a cheap threequarter or two before the season starts. Given Mulhollands recent track record that should be enough.

I did notice Jordy hasn't cracked the starting lineup in Japan....
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

As I’ve said before, I’m not entirely sure this is the right move but I understand why the club has done and I agree generally with that philosophy on team building, so ultimately I’m on board with this

Still I’m sad to see him go, when we signed him, I wasn’t super pumped about it. He was always unfit, did a lot of dumb **** on the park and seemed a bit of a nightmare to manage off it

But he’s been extremely professional on and off the park. He matured a lot here and his brain snaps were far out weighed by moments of brilliance. He’s given us a lot of amazing highlights

He’s been great for us and I think this club has been good for him. Thanks for the memories beej
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: January 25, 2020, 1:55 pm Reports a deal is done

David Riccio
@DaveRic1
·
8m
BREAKING: Done deal
@WestsTigers
Joey Leilua. Three years.
@telegraph_sport
A group I follow posted the news that this appeared on the Daily Telegraph's Facebook page.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Botman wrote: January 25, 2020, 2:48 pm As I’ve said before, I’m not entirely sure this is the right move but I understand why the club has done and I agree generally with that philosophy on team building, so ultimately I’m on board with this

Still I’m sad to see him go, when we signed him, I wasn’t super pumped about it. He was always unfit, did a lot of dumb **** on the park and seemed a bit of a nightmare to manage off it

But he’s been extremely professional on and off the park. He matured a lot here and his brain snaps were far out weighed by moments of brilliance. He’s given us a lot of amazing highlights

He’s been great for us and I think this club has been good for him. Thanks for the memories beej
Hear hear!
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Yep, I am sad to see him go. One of the most memorable players in Raiders history and one of the biggest reasons for our turn around since 2014.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: January 25, 2020, 2:25 pm Yeah I’ve got no issues with that depth... oldy is as good a back up winger as you could hope to have imo, and as I’ve said before, I’m a bit bullish on Kris, not that I think he’s a budding star but I think with the right chance he could end up one of those solid but unspectacular players who plays a long time in the nrl
Unconfirmed, but Kris might have hung them up.

Smith-Shields looks the goods. Certainly has the potential to be a 2nd Cotric. HSS is 183cm and 95kgs to Cotrics 185cm and 98kgs.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

DT reporting it as a done deal.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: January 25, 2020, 3:30 pm
Botman wrote: January 25, 2020, 2:25 pm Yeah I’ve got no issues with that depth... oldy is as good a back up winger as you could hope to have imo, and as I’ve said before, I’m a bit bullish on Kris, not that I think he’s a budding star but I think with the right chance he could end up one of those solid but unspectacular players who plays a long time in the nrl

Smith-Shields looks the goods. Certainly has the potential to be a 2nd Cotric. HSS is 183cm and 95kgs to Cotrics 185cm and 98kgs.
Yeah someone on the site just PM'd me about Kris maybe giving the game up. THat would be a shame because i do think he's got the ability to make it, but i guess if his heart isnt in it, it's probably best to move on.

If Kris is done, we're going to need to go out on the market and find a solid depth option to replace him with, unless they think HSS is ready.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Wests Tigers sign Joey Leilua from Canberra Raiders

Post by greeneyed »

DONE DEAL: Wests Tigers sign Joey Leilua from Canberra Raiders on three year contract

Damaging centre and one-time NSW Origin contender Joey Leilua has quit Canberra to join the Tigers, agreeing to the terms of a three-year deal, effective immediately. The Raiders and Tigers administration brokered the deal on Saturday afternoon.

Tigers chief executive Justin Pascoe was attempting to formally register Leilua’s contract with the NRL on Saturday night.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... ea3ba0bae6

Leilua brothers link up after Joey inks three-year deal with Wests Tigers: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... e3d870eb66

Canberra Raider Joey Leilua becomes eye of the Wests Tigers

Canberra Raiders fans have seen Joey Leilua's trademark fend and flick pass for the last time. Well in lime green anyway.

They're set to make their first appearance at Wests Tigers training on Tuesday, following the finalisation of a three-year deal.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Joey Leilua set to join his brother at Tigers with deal all but done: https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/ ... e=rss_feed

Straight out of Canberra: Leilua agrees to Tigers switch: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/25/str ... rs-switch/
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Definitely need another if Kris is also going. Just for an emergency.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

That Kris news has come of of nowhere if true. I would've thought he exceeded expectations last year.

I think Valemi is in the first grade squad as well, so he is more depth.
zim
Laurie Daley

Re: Wests Tigers sign Joey Leilua from Canberra Raiders

Post by zim »

Doubt he'd see any first grade this year so I wouldn't count him.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We won’t be signing anyone who isn’t already in the Raiders’ ranks. There’s plenty of young talent already on development contracts or training with the club to bring in, and we need a minimum contract player to replace Leilua... if it’s to free any cap space.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: January 25, 2020, 3:40 pm

Yeah someone on the site just PM'd me about Kris maybe giving the game up. THat would be a shame because i do think he's got the ability to make it, but i guess if his heart isnt in it, it's probably best to move on.

If Kris is done, we're going to need to go out on the market and find a solid depth option to replace him with, unless they think HSS is ready.
Harley Smith Shields is ready.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Ive got a mate on the inside who is convinced that HSS is the next "real big thing". Plenty of the coaching staff think so also apparently. He also thinks Timoko looks a likely lad.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: January 25, 2020, 4:21 pm
Botman wrote: January 25, 2020, 3:40 pm

Harley Smith Shields is ready.
I’ve always respected your views on the kids, so I’ll take your word for it!
Excited to see him if he gets a chance to play this year
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

greeneyed wrote: January 25, 2020, 4:20 pm We won’t be signing anyone who isn’t already in the Raiders’ ranks. There’s plenty of young talent already on development contracts or training with the club to bring in, and we need a minimum contract player to replace Leilua... if it’s to free any cap space.
CNK and Simo signed in Feb last year. Hingano march the year before. So I wouldn't be shocked to see us bring someone in.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I strongly suspect Timoko has earned himself a new deal with his pre season... There seems to be a little bit of uncertainty about his contract status... he's listed in the Jersey Flegg training squad, but was not identified as an under 20s player in the 2020 pre season squad announcements... but as a train and trial player, which makes sense as he's just turned 20.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote: January 25, 2020, 4:56 pm
greeneyed wrote: January 25, 2020, 4:20 pm We won’t be signing anyone who isn’t already in the Raiders’ ranks. There’s plenty of young talent already on development contracts or training with the club to bring in, and we need a minimum contract player to replace Leilua... if it’s to free any cap space.
CNK and Simo signed in Feb last year. Hingano march the year before. So I wouldn't be shocked to see us bring someone in.
However, we had much bigger holes in the squad in the past two years. Two years ago, cover was needed for Josh Hodgson and last year, we had a vacant fullback spot.

We now have one, maybe two, spots to get to 29 before March... there are obvious Raiders players to promote, and there is no obvious gap in the top 17. I'll be pretty surprised is someone is brought in from outside.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Unless you've got info you're not allowed to tell us; there's no reason we can't see someone with a little first grade experience searching for a deal come in on min wage.
If we're only promoting from within then we've settled on 3 player depth.
I guess we had that last year with Oldfield, Kris and Simonsson so should be fine.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Put it this way... I'm confident in the up and coming talent, and I reckon they're better than anyone on the open market. I don't think there's any point signing more minimum wage journeymen, when we have promising players inside the club... who you wouldn't want to lose. There'll be more depth... there has to be as 29 spots have to be filled.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Be interesting to see HSS in the 14 early on to get some experience.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

And now that this is over, if you need me I’ll be over here taking my victory lap, because this played out exactly as I said it would the entire time

Botman was right, and you know it!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Well the death of Lapana is the end of an era. One of my favourite all time Raiders combos. Thanks for the memories fellas.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Sticky’s ‘mine and Joey’s relationship is fine’ comment is funny. Sure it is lol 😂
Joey looks unfit atm which doesn’t bode well for the season for him but if he gets back to peak fitness and switches on I feel we may regret this. We are now one injury away from makeshift central again and we have lost our best xfactor.
Hope stick and mulholland have got this right
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Dr Zaius wrote: January 25, 2020, 6:03 pm Well the death of Lapana is the end of an era. One of my favourite all time Raiders combos. Thanks for the memories fellas.
This
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I am sad
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

We need someone to put together the Lapana highlights package, that would be a solid 10 minutes of fun football. So many incredibly fun and cool moments
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Club had no choice. The salary cap is a brutal leveller