Wests Tigers sign Joey Leilua from Canberra Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Wests Tigers consider signing Joey Leilua from Canberra Raiders

Post by Botman »

Azza wrote: January 23, 2020, 12:16 pm Is there even a remote chance he might stay?

All signs point to no.
Honestly, I put it at 0%
Too many people saying it’s already done
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:
Azza wrote: January 23, 2020, 12:16 pm Is there even a remote chance he might stay?

All signs point to no.
Honestly, I put it at 0%
Too many people saying it’s already done
Not even BJ Mole calling it.

Based on past history BJ and his brother will both be at Raiders this season.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

GreenMachine wrote: January 23, 2020, 1:25 pm I think this is a great move by the club and I doubt we see BJ playing anywhere near the level he played at the Raiders again.

Low football IQ and fitness issues means you rely heavily on 'Hail Mary plays' which is where BJ excelled.

The biggest single factor for us this year is whether G.Williams is the real deal or not.

Losing BJ for Scott will turn out to be an upgrade.
I'm sorry, but that's rubbish. Dude is honestly one of the smartest footballers we have. You're judging him by the odd brain explosion, which is few and far between all the excellent plays he makes on the field.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Azza wrote: January 23, 2020, 2:22 pm I thought he came up with some fantastic tough carries in the GF.
I think he always makes fantastic tough carries, just when we seem to need it most. I've seen him countless times push teammates out of the way to make them too.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

afgtnk wrote:
Azza wrote: January 23, 2020, 2:22 pm I thought he came up with some fantastic tough carries in the GF.
I think he always makes fantastic tough carries, just when we seem to need it most. I've seen him countless times push teammates out of the way to make them too.
Too right. Plenty of breaks have started the play after a quick BJ hit up.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

It's all over then. No premiership for us in 2020
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

Just realised 2020 will likely be BJ trampling poor old Jarrod on our left edge for a double :(
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

You're implying Brooks has given him clean early ball to get one on one with Croker..

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

I retract my previous testimony
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

If that report about 400k freight is true (I don’t think it is that would be madness) but it shows you how much stick now doesn’t want him. Basically paying WT 400k to take him.
Been Edricked ol BJ 😔
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

There was an interview after the Manly game where Ricky was asked about BJ's discipline issues, and I remember him looking very frustrated.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Azza wrote: January 23, 2020, 10:07 pm There was an interview after the Manly game where Ricky was asked about BJ's discipline issues, and I remember him looking very frustrated.
Yeah not sure if the same game but I remember similar responses from Ricky re BJ's discipline through the season. Not exactly throwing him under the bus but a far cry from the "Nothing to see here" he gave for say a Cotric spear tackle or Youngs second eye gouge of the season... It was notable.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

afgtnk wrote: January 23, 2020, 6:10 pm
GreenMachine wrote: January 23, 2020, 1:25 pm I think this is a great move by the club and I doubt we see BJ playing anywhere near the level he played at the Raiders again.

Low football IQ and fitness issues means you rely heavily on 'Hail Mary plays' which is where BJ excelled.

The biggest single factor for us this year is whether G.Williams is the real deal or not.

Losing BJ for Scott will turn out to be an upgrade.
I'm sorry, but that's rubbish. Dude is honestly one of the smartest footballers we have. You're judging him by the odd brain explosion, which is few and far between all the excellent plays he makes on the field.
With all due respect the Manly game was one of many times where BJ let his frustrations turn into brain explosions.

Not to mention countless blindside raids initiated by BJ which led to the ball over the side line or turnovers.
Not to mention his issues defending out wide alongside the second rower.

Finally the GF - where he botched the Rapana try by finessing the ball too long creating a forward pass, and off course, THAT moment where he got turned in defence resulting in the Tedesco try.

I loved what BJ brought to the team and thank him for his service, however the Club has handled this perfectly.

BJ is low football IQ by every sense of the definition.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

If we are paying 400k of the 600k, lets be realistic, it has to be personal.

From a football perspective saving 200k of salary cap just to get rid of a player who is worth every cent of that 600k.

It is disappointing, it is also disappointing all the fans looking for reasons to support the clubs decision when if the above is true it is clearly a garbage garbage play.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

The recent reported figures have a saving of 300k.
BJ is on 700k this season.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Here's a little thought from an old friend of mine, who used to handle the legals for one of the big Sydney clubs:

" By the time news of a contract has hit the media, it's already been on my desk for three months in most cases. The idea of a club 'sounding out a player' and then signing them three days later is all a bit silly. I'm sure it has happened, but it would be very rare (and legally negligent). Put the house on it. Once the 'speculation is rampant' it's because we've finally managed to get all the ducks lined up, the main guys all in the same room, and have signed on the dotted line "

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah that makes a lot of sense.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, there is no way Leilua and his manager have only just now had a casual chat with Michael Maguire.

Anyway, us paying $400k on his contract this season seems excessive. Even though he is on over $700k. If that's even close to true, the club clearly wants him out.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Both $700,000 and $400,000 are excessive.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Explains why we were so **** in 17/18, handing out bulk upgrades off the back of 1 good year

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders reportedly willing to pay only an extra $100,000 in Joey Leilua transfer deal to Wests Tigers

The Canberra Raiders are reportedly prepared to meet $300,000 of Joey Leilua's 2020 contract as part of a transfer deal to the Wests Tigers. The Raiders have already paid around $200,000 of Leilua's $700,000 deal, and are only prepared to throw in an extra $100,000 to seal the Canberra-to-Concord deal.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/doueih ... 53u5m.html

That's still not good... but more reasonable.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

greeneyed wrote: January 24, 2020, 4:02 pm Canberra Raiders reportedly willing to pay only an extra $100,000 in Joey Leilua transfer deal to Wests Tigers

The Canberra Raiders are reportedly prepared to meet $300,000 of Joey Leilua's 2020 contract as part of a transfer deal to the Wests Tigers. The Raiders have already paid around $200,000 of Leilua's $700,000 deal, and are only prepared to throw in an extra $100,000 to seal the Canberra-to-Concord deal.

It's reasonable when you consider that the BJ will most likely be on our books until 1 March 2020.

It's basically a play by the Tigers to minimise his impact on their finances for 2020.

I have no problem with it, but would not pay a cent more.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If he's on the books until 1 March, we'd have paid $233,000 already. They probably don't deserve any more... they would have a player for $450,000 (roughly)... and they're reportedly offering to pay him $500,000, then $600,000 in the following two years. They realistically can't expect the Raiders to pay any more than $300,000.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Once Ricky decided Scott was the right-side centre, we knew BJ wasn't playing firsts. And if he's not playing, every cent of his contract is excess. The $300-400K we save in his contract may have made a couple of other guys' deals work (i.e. Bateman). And in terms of morale and club culture, it makes way more sense to get rid of him now.

I'm still upset he won't be around but paying freight to move him on this season makes heaps of sense to me.

Incidentally, we ran into BJ, Oldie and Dunamis at the mall yesterday. My twelve-year-old went over to say hi and BJ was excellent. Which he was last time I saw him out a couple of years ago (smashing the all-you-can-eat buffet at the Burns Club with Luciano - the club lost money that night).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

They'll have to use $75,000 to pay for a new minimum contract player (two thirds of the $110,000 minimum), to replace Leilua in the roster (at least). So if the Raiders are paying $400,000 for Leilua not to play, you need to add $75,000... and there's not that much left...
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: January 24, 2020, 4:02 pm Canberra Raiders reportedly willing to pay only an extra $100,000 in Joey Leilua transfer deal to Wests Tigers

I think that’s a pretty fair deal for both parties
They’ll meet somewhere in the middle at around 150k more
We’ll save 350k for a player the club obviously feels is the right time to move on

I don’t believe this is personal. I continue to think this is business and the club needs to get Scott into the side, and they won’t be keeping Beej beyond this year anyways so best for all to move on now and not allow it fester and turn ugly
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

700k would be a backloaded amount and his market rate seems to be around 500k if the rumored deal for subsequent years is correct. So I think 400k is a pretty good result.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: January 24, 2020, 5:12 pm

I think that’s a pretty fair deal for both parties
They’ll meet somewhere in the middle at around 150k more
We’ll save 350k for a player the club obviously feels is the right time to move on

I don’t believe this is personal. I continue to think this is business and the club needs to get Scott into the side, and they won’t be keeping Beej beyond this year anyways so best for all to move on now and not allow it fester and turn ugly
Yeah and I don't believe either club desperately need the deal to go through so it should be resolved OK for both.

For the Raiders it's a case of freeing up a small amount for this season that could be used to pick up a late transfer for depth or injury cover.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If It frees space to keep Wighton or Bateman, great. Freeing a small amount of space for depth/injury cover doesn’t sound like a good outcome. The deal needs to free a good chunk of salary cap to be worth it IMO.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: January 24, 2020, 8:16 pm If It frees space to keep Wighton or Bateman, great. Freeing a small amount of space for depth/injury cover doesn’t sound like a good outcome. The deal needs to free a good chunk of salary cap to be worth it IMO.
The reality here is that Scott is going to the be the centre, and Beej is either playing off the bench or in reserve grade... in a contract year, going in his his last big pay day

I get what you're saying and in a vacuum, Beej is our best #4 100000% of the time, but the reality of the situation is we're very likely going to be dealing with a malconent if hes in the squad and playing the role he'll be playing for us. So at that point, the salary cap issues are secondary to that IMO.

i dont know that i agree the club is making a good call here. I'd have prefered Scott stay at the storm for this year and come next year as a direct replacement for Beej... i would have quite liked the idea of Beej in a contract year, but the club has elected to go this route and now they have, Beej has gotta go imo. The salary cap implications are being managed as well as can be expected under the circumstance imo

I also expressed a thought mid season last year as it came to Rapana, and if he's not here... what impact does that have on the Beej discussion, because i truly believe a big part of Beej's value to us has been his connection with Raps and if Raps aint here, i think that changes the discussion... Again, i dont know that the club is mking the right call here, but i get the rational behind it.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Scott is likely playing somewhere else if we didn't pick him up this year. The storm were trying to free up cap.
That's why they've lost chambers and Scott and basically signed no one.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Again it highlights the problem with contracts being negotiated 18 months out. Players keep signing for the following year at a rival club and an early release is becoming the norm.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Fact is, the Raiders made Leilua the highest paid centre in the comp after 2016. The other fact is, his reported $600k salary was well under what he's actually earning this year. If the coach has no plans to play him, then no point chewing up that space.

He was never staying in 2021, so I'm not sure this has any impact on Wighton or Bateman. The club was always willing to wear Leilua's contract. Now it's just about making sure the Tigers pay their fair share, to free up cap space for us to pick up a reasonable deal elsewhere, to supplement our depth. Possibly to re-contract Rapa?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Seiffert82 wrote: January 24, 2020, 9:57 pm He was never staying in 2021, so I'm not sure this has any impact on Wighton or Bateman. The club was always willing to wear Leilua's contract. Now it's just about making sure the Tigers pay their fair share, to free up cap space for us to pick up a reasonable deal elsewhere, to supplement our depth. Possibly to re-contract Rapa?
I'd think it would be used to upgrade Bateman early to ensure he doesn't go on the open market or try and walk on his current deal.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

greeneyed wrote: January 24, 2020, 5:01 pm If he's on the books until 1 March, we'd have paid $233,000 already. They probably don't deserve any more... they would have a player for $450,000 (roughly)... and they're reportedly offering to pay him $500,000, then $600,000 in the following two years. They realistically can't expect the Raiders to pay any more than $300,000.
Agree