Wests Tigers sign Joey Leilua from Canberra Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: Wests Tigers consider signing Joey Leilua from Canberra Raiders

Post by bonehead »

yep I'm with you OSG, BJ is a guy I've happily defended he's a winner.
Scott has that winning attitude too though.

Again I've been a Tapine fan since i saw him debut for the knights but 2019 was filled with junk brain snaps and injuries

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yeah Tapine's defensive lapse for that first try in the GF - and his brain snaps in the first game in melbourne - were enormously frustrating.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

There is no way this team is better without Leilua.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Floydd wrote: January 22, 2020, 9:21 am On his best day he is great but his best days are few and far between. I think he costs us more than he wins us games with his lack of discipline. A liability in defence also. Joey was great when we had a mindset of outscoring other teams to win no matter how many they scored but now we have it together with our defence he no longer fits into our best 17 IMHO
The liability in defence with better 2019 defensive stats than the other top rated centres (Latrell and Manu), you talking about that liability in defence?

It's an old chip about BJ that really doesn't hold water anymore.

In fact, funny how his defence was rubbish when Austin defended on that side...

But Croker couldn't tackle again when Austin was switched...
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

If BJ doesn’t leave, where is the money coming from for Bateman? He isn’t going to stay for ‘promises’
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

I am hearing that the Tigers deal is done and BJ is gone. He was given an extended break for personal reasons (wedding) and did not return prior to Christmas with the rest of the non rep players. I also believe that when he did return it was evident that he had enjoyed his break as he was nowhere near his playing weight and this is perhaps the reason that he was not on the Sunshine Coast. Not a good career move when the team has signed competition for your position.
daley6
David Grant
Favourite Player: campo

Post by daley6 »

Heard same thing today, deal is done for BJ, announcement soon
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

But he was a rep player... played for Samoa on 2 November... And that was the date of the last Test of the year for the Kangaroos reps too. The Kiwis played on 9 November and the Lions players played on 16 November.
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

greeneyed wrote: January 22, 2020, 11:52 am But he was a rep player... played for Samoa on 2 November... And that was the date of the last Test of the year for the Kangaroos reps too. The Kiwis played on 9 November and the Lions players played on 16 November.
Ok my bad Greeneyed he was a rep player. Word was still that he had been given an extended break. Regardless of the details of the break he returned in poor shape - not the first time he has done this. Noting the Scott signing and the decision to let him seek a long term contract elsewhere he was well behind the eight ball when training resumed in January and Scott was a lock to be in the starting team for Round 1.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Raiders_Pat wrote:
Botman wrote: January 21, 2020, 12:54 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote: January 21, 2020, 12:23 pm
julian87 wrote: January 21, 2020, 11:55 am
bonehead wrote: January 21, 2020, 8:14 am really? I thought he looked impressive considering he got shuffled around last year as a rookie, was pretty dangerous against us in the semi

He’s one of a long list of random over rated Sydney based players imo.

I’d consider him ok squad player at 250k or less but double that ugh.
I agree that he's overrated and probably slightly overpriced, but considering that we were paying Abbey $220k a season you'd think Douehi would be worth $350-400k at least...
Yeah im with you, i think he is overrated but he's still a pretty handy footballer and someone who can help the tigers continue to improve. If i were them i'd sign him for 2-3 years, you get a look, maybe he develops into what people thought he'd be, but if not 2 years from now you'll be ready to move on from him without major consequences

If they signed Douehi and Beej, i think they could sneak into the finals this year
Their forward pack is still looking a bit thin for my liking but that backline would be top 8 worthy
9th... lock it in
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

I really like Joey and think his x-factor is going to be a massive loss for us. Especially with Rapa gone too. At the top of his game he is the best centre in the league and my favourite player to watch. However I've heard that Joey isn't the greatest trainer nor most committed and for this reason there isn't a massive push to keep him around by the coaching staff. It also fits into the narrative of there being less than 2 months until the season starts and he is no where to be seen. It explains the Scott acquisition. Whilst I see merit in the "this is our window" for a premiership, you still always have to factor in future years so thus it is a massive risk to keep him around at the expense of committed and hard working players such as Bateman, Wighton or Cotric. I also think that between Simonsson, Bateman, Cotric, Wighton and Williams we still have a plethora of spark and this was exemplified by our good form even without BJ in 2019.

There are some parallels here with the release of Latrell Mitchell at the Roosters and it's hard to question their success in recruitment and retention. I'll be sad when he leaves but unfortunately if you want to be the best you have to make tough calls and this one may have to happen.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

For an NRL team, the football part is a lot easier than juggling a salary cap.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

One thing I will say is I hope Cotric finds another gear if Joey leaves. We'll need it.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Green Blogger wrote: January 22, 2020, 11:11 am I am hearing that the Tigers deal is done and BJ is gone. He was given an extended break for personal reasons (wedding) and did not return prior to Christmas with the rest of the non rep players. I also believe that when he did return it was evident that he had enjoyed his break as he was nowhere near his playing weight and this is perhaps the reason that he was not on the Sunshine Coast. Not a good career move when the team has signed competition for your position.
Ah - the old Samoan RL buffet trick again....
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The Telegraph is reporting we will pay 400k of BJ's 700k contract for this year with the Tigers covering the rest. I'd think the 300k will go straight to Bateman.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

edwahu wrote:The Telegraph is reporting we will pay 400k of BJ's 700k contract for this year with the Tigers covering the rest. I'd think the 300k will go straight to Bateman.
I think firstly it’s a terrible decision to let BJ go. Secondly under no circumstances should we be paying anything more than what we have to (time he has served this year) for him to go.

I don’t care if he is currently unfit, with the long game in mind how handy would he be to bring into the back line or off the bench later in the year. His loss would leave us very thin in the outside backs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If that is the deal... it’s a very bad deal.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

we've already covered 25% purely in weekly pay

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wests Tigers ready to offer Canberra Raiders centre Joey Leilua a lucrative deal

Joey Leilua could make the move from Canberra to Concord this week in a deal that will pocket the rampaging centre $1.8 million over three years. Canberra will pitch in about $400,000 of Leilua’s $700,000-plus contract for 2020 with the Tigers then expected to pay Leilua $500,000 for 2021 and $600,000 for 2021.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 323a76b609
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

bonehead wrote: January 23, 2020, 9:09 am we've already covered 25% purely in weekly pay

That’s only $175,000. $400,000 is over 60 per cent of the deal...
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I doubt that's correct tbh

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

$400k is a depressingly high number.

The only thing I can imagine is we are trying to recoup the $300k urgently to upgrade Cotric and Bateman
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

If the club knows that 300k is enough to lock Bateman up then I don't think it really matters much if it's a bad deal on paper.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

300k minus whatever the player we bring into the squad is on. Doesnt end up being much for losing bj
Dont delete this GE
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Not happy with losing BJ at all. Ahh well. It happens. Also not convinced Scott is as good as some think. Was dropped from the storm at 1 point last year for his defence after Latrell gave him an absolute bath. Let's hope he shines in green.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Season over.
ckjchambers
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Mal or Loz.

Post by ckjchambers »

-PJ- wrote: January 22, 2020, 7:20 am
Dusty wrote: January 21, 2020, 8:36 pm What do we get out of releasing him??

Maybe we don’t want to stand in his way but if he fits in our cap and we aren’t going to lose anyone to keep him, i say, keep him.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
If we lost Bateman or Wighton or Papalii because we held onto to BJ too long all on here would flip.
100%! Rather have a great shot at keeping those guys than BJL.
Member # 8733.
Supporting the Raiders since the 1980's and looking forward to another 1987 - 1994 type run soon
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

You just get the feeling that BJ is going to get man the match against us this year when we play the Tigers.

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

That's fine. We'll still win 54-6 or thereabouts :D
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

He’s the perfect signing for the Tigers. They’ll really appreciate his hittups, imposing attitude and strike power. They lack severely in all 3 of those departments.

The output that guys like Joey and Fergo produce... you struggle to put a price on. They make enormous metres, they have a crack every week and can truly compensate for short comings in the front row.

Very sad to lose BJ.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Is there even a remote chance he might stay?

All signs point to no.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

I think this is a great move by the club and I doubt we see BJ playing anywhere near the level he played at the Raiders again.

Low football IQ and fitness issues means you rely heavily on 'Hail Mary plays' which is where BJ excelled.

The biggest single factor for us this year is whether G.Williams is the real deal or not.

Losing BJ for Scott will turn out to be an upgrade.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

GreenMachine wrote: January 23, 2020, 1:25 pm I think this is a great move by the club and I doubt we see BJ playing anywhere near the level he played at the Raiders again.

Low football IQ and fitness issues means you rely heavily on 'Hail Mary plays' which is where BJ excelled.

The biggest single factor for us this year is whether G.Williams is the real deal or not.

That is a very basic view of what bj brought to this footy team. It completely disregards the amount of trouble his genuine tough carries got us out of in our own half.
Dont delete this GE
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

simo wrote: January 23, 2020, 1:34 pm
GreenMachine wrote: January 23, 2020, 1:25 pm I think this is a great move by the club and I doubt we see BJ playing anywhere near the level he played at the Raiders again.

That is a very basic view of what bj brought to this footy team. It completely disregards the amount of trouble his genuine tough carries got us out of in our own half.
Tough carries or not, we thrived most of last season without him - eventually making it to the GF.

The worst thing that could have happened to BJ last year, was seeing the team excel without his 'tough carries' - which for mine, are a little over indulged in this forum.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I thought he came up with some fantastic tough carries in the GF.