What's your strongest possible Canberra Raiders 2020 line up?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Strongest 17 for 2020

Post by greeneyed »

Gergreg... incredibly harsh. He’s a good young guy.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: January 3, 2020, 8:20 pm Gergreg... incredibly harsh. He’s a good young guy.
There is not a lot of supporting evidence to back this claim up right now.
It's up to him to rectify that.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: January 3, 2020, 8:25 pm
greeneyed wrote: January 3, 2020, 8:20 pm Gergreg... incredibly harsh. He’s a good young guy.
There is not a lot of supporting evidence to back this claim up right now.
It's up to him to rectify that.
I’ll stand by him. He’ll be a good player for us and make the club and fans proud of him.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

He is a good player, no one is questioning that. I hope he does make the club and fans proud of him, but for now his impact has been to embarrass both the fans and club.
And it's not as if this is one mistake, he's had a few chances now.

When someone shows you who they are, believe them.

We have spent the best part of a decade giving passes to players lacking in disacpline and character due to talent, and it's never done anything but burn us. The 2019 success was built on a different sort of culture. One that Hudson Young, based on his actions so far, has no place being in.

Hudson Young has shown us who he is for now. It's now up to him to show us that he's something and someone different. I hope he does, his talent is undenable. But until he does though, it's entirely reasonable for Greg to hold that position. Nothing harsh about that, it's called accountability. Accountability to your club, your coaches, your teammates, your fans and your community.
We found it in 2019, feels like it should be something we try to keep moving forward
Last edited by Botman on January 3, 2020, 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:Gergreg... incredibly harsh. He’s a good young guy.
He has to live with it unfortunately. Rugby league fans have a tendency to never forget or forgive players like this, as you well know.

Like Nick says, only Hudson-young can attempt to fix his persona.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BJ
Steve Walters

Strongest 17 for 2020

Post by BJ »

Hudson Young either learns how to mentally control himself on the field or never fulfill his potential.

If I was him I’d be training my Mindfulness abilities above my physical abilities.

I’d also start with learning to juggle 5 balls under fatigue and successfully doing online mind games under fatigue.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Is there any reason why Curtis Scott should be regarded as a good winger? And specifically, a better winger than BS?

I don't think it very likely that Joey won't be in the no 4 shirt either actually. He may not be going anywhere at the end of this year. Unless the Titans have money to burn.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yep, I really don't understand why we'd play arguably the best right hand centre in the comp off the bench.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL.com Canberra Raiders Round 1 predicted team

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Curtis Scott
5. Bailey Simonsson
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Sia Soliola
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Josh Papalii
11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

14. Corey Horsburgh
15. Joseph Leilua
16. Emre Guler
17. Dunamis Lui

Others: Luke Bateman, JJ Collins, Sebastian Kris, Siliva Havili, Jack Murchie, Michael Oldfield, Harley Smith-Shields, Tom Starling, Ryan Sutton, Sam Williams, Hudson Young

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/04/can ... cted-team/
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

lol wut they didn't even pick BJ on the bench
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Azza wrote: January 4, 2020, 3:13 pm lol wut they didn't even pick BJ on the bench
Yes they did.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I'd go this way, as unpopular as benching BJ is.

I'll also add, I'd have Lui and Sutton going h2h. However, knowing how regarded Lui is by the coaching staff, I think it's probably a no contest.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

greeneyed wrote: January 4, 2020, 3:26 pm
Azza wrote: January 4, 2020, 3:13 pm lol wut they didn't even pick BJ on the bench
Yes they did.
Steven, you really are losing the plot nowadays, sophisticated trolls go straight past you :D
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Matt wrote: January 4, 2020, 4:15 pm I'd go this way, as unpopular as benching BJ is.

I'll also add, I'd have Lui and Sutton going h2h. However, knowing how regarded Lui is by the coaching staff, I think it's probably a no contest.
Ideally, I can't see Lui being any more than a depth option for us.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

This Curtis Scott fella will want to be pretty outstanding to shunt our second best attacking weapon (behind Wighton) to the bench.

It'll be interesting to see how Stuart manages it. Good problem to have I guess.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

1. CNK
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Scott
6. Wighton
7. G. Williams
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Sutton
11. Whitehead
12. J. Bateman
13. Tapine

14. Simonsson
15. Soliola
16. Horsburgh
17. Guler

18. Young
19. Havili
20. Lui
21. S. Williams
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Seiffert82 wrote: January 4, 2020, 6:48 pm This Curtis Scott fella will want to be pretty outstanding to shunt our second best attacking weapon (behind Wighton) to the bench.

It'll be interesting to see how Stuart manages it. Good problem to have I guess.
I've got a fit and motivated Joey in my team over any other centre in the comp (maybe a fit and motivated Latrell comes close, but he's also got more errors and half the workrate).

Even with half a spine he was one of our best weapons in the GF. I like the big galoot.

Scott is wing or bench until he pushes his way in somewhere for mine.

I can see the attraction of Joey's impact of the bench. He could handle a forward stint or replace a back. But he's great starting. Even good players like Cotric couldn't quite fill his boots when he was out and I don't have Scott as a better player than Cotric right now.

I might be wrong and Scott breaks out... but it'd have to be a HELL of a breakout year to outdo what Joey gives us.

The only way I see Scott getting the nod over Joey is if Stuart thinks Scott is a much better defender, with GWilly joining that edge...
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

BadnMean wrote: January 4, 2020, 11:22 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: January 4, 2020, 6:48 pm This Curtis Scott fella will want to be pretty outstanding to shunt our second best attacking weapon (behind Wighton) to the bench.

I've got a fit and motivated Joey in my team over any other centre in the comp (maybe a fit and motivated Latrell comes close, but he's also got more errors and half the workrate).

Even with half a spine he was one of our best weapons in the GF. I like the big galoot.

I can see the attraction of Joey's impact of the bench. He could handle a forward stint or replace a back. But he's great starting. Even good players like Cotric couldn't quite fill his boots when he was out and I don't have Scott as a better player than Cotric right now.

I might be wrong and Scott breaks out... but it'd have to be a HELL of a breakout year to outdo what Joey gives us.

The only way I see Scott getting the nod over Joey is if Stuart thinks Scott is a much better defender, with GWilly joining that edge...
Absolutely agree. A fit and motivated Leilua is one of the first players picked every week IMO. Scott can bide his time.

As far as defensive combos go, we won't know until a ball gets kicked off in anger will we. I guess that's where Stuart needs to make a call one way or another.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

BadnMean wrote: January 4, 2020, 11:22 pm

Totally agree with that.

My question is still why would Scott sign to be so far down the pecking order when he’d have a starting spot sown up at the Storm? Pure money? If so, why are we paying such a convincing salary to a guy so far down the pecking order? Something doesn’t add up.

That makes me think the proposed 17 with BJ on the bench is correct.

As you’ve described above, BJ on the bench is a waste of ability and I also wonder about club culture when you demote a guy who’s form has been consistently among the best for years.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Ruben Daley wrote: January 5, 2020, 9:28 am
Totally agree with that.

My question is still why would Scott sign to be so far down the pecking order when he’d have a starting spot sown up at the Storm? Pure money? If so, why are we paying such a convincing salary to a guy so far down the pecking order? Something doesn’t add up.

That makes me think the proposed 17 with BJ on the bench is correct.

As you’ve described above, BJ on the bench is a waste of ability and I also wonder about club culture when you demote a guy who’s form has been consistently among the best for years.
Maybe he hates Cam Smith as much as the rest of us?

I don't know really. There are whispers he was a bit on the outer or had some personal issues down in Melbourne. Maybe all he wanted was similar money and the chance to back himself to win a spot- with the knowledge that Joey has a dicky neck and may not be around next year anyway... A fresh start away from Melbourne and the issues (whatever they were).

Could be he just didn't like the coach or the style of play. Could be we have promised to backload him once a spot opens up. I'm just guessing.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Could be that he sees a great future at the Raiders and wants to be part of a team on the rise rather than one on the wane?

At the end of the day, Leilua is unlikely to be here in 2021 either way. Waiting in the wings, or for an opportunity through injury etc, is hardly unique for young players. I'm entirely certain Stuart hasn't guaranteed him anything when he signed.

We are actually a club that young players are actively looking at. We should be proud of the fact.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

He was reportedly on the outer at Melbourne early to mid season last year. After his relationship breakdown, from memory. I thought he may have been stood down for a few games and straight after that the rumours of a fallout with Cameron Smith started. This is all based on my terrible memory.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Fall out with Cam Smith, fall out with Dylan Walker, fall out with Will Chambers and some fantastic fund raising - Seems like a pretty good bloke to me!

Also quite a handy player
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

yeh raiders wrote:Fall out with Cam Smith, fall out with Dylan Walker, fall out with Will Chambers and some fantastic fund raising - Seems like a pretty good bloke to me!

i believe Dylan Walker was the one who fell out of that exchange

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Seiffert82 wrote: January 4, 2020, 4:37 am Yep, I really don't understand why we'd play arguably the best right hand centre in the comp off the bench.
Because we have been trying to sell him for about 12 months with no bites. Benching him is the next step in pushing him out in a pro sport way. The next is Mounties.

Its obvious they we are looking to part ways, which means BJ is the past not the future. Scott is the future, you dont sign a guy like him without the expressed intention of playing him. With CNK and Simmo playing as they did last yr, would be very hard to see either not starting. Cotric is an Australian International and Croker the captain. Only 1 guy left to make way.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

bonehead wrote: January 6, 2020, 7:19 am
yeh raiders wrote:Fall out with Cam Smith, fall out with Dylan Walker, fall out with Will Chambers and some fantastic fund raising - Seems like a pretty good bloke to me!

i believe Dylan Walker was the one who fell out of that exchange

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
:roflmao
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Matt wrote: January 6, 2020, 9:06 am
Seiffert82 wrote: January 4, 2020, 4:37 am Yep, I really don't understand why we'd play arguably the best right hand centre in the comp off the bench.
Because we have been trying to sell him for about 12 months with no bites. Benching him is the next step in pushing him out in a pro sport way. The next is Mounties.

Its obvious they we are looking to part ways, which means BJ is the past not the future. Scott is the future, you dont sign a guy like him without the expressed intention of playing him. With CNK and Simmo playing as they did last yr, would be very hard to see either not starting. Cotric is an Australian International and Croker the captain. Only 1 guy left to make way.
I still don't get it with Leilua. If they are actually trying to offload him this season, there must be much more to it than the contract $$ situation. IMO you play your best players, unless there is off field issues we are not aware of.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Seiffert82 wrote: January 6, 2020, 12:19 pm
Matt wrote: January 6, 2020, 9:06 am

I still don't get it with Leilua. If they are actually trying to offload him this season, there must be much more to it than the contract $$ situation. IMO you play your best players, unless there is off field issues we are not aware of.
Gotta remember, he also had a very serious neck injury. Im sure that is playing its part on both sides, buyer and seller.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Leilua is a better centre than Scott and Simonsson is almost undoubtedly a better winger than Scott.

I can understand the fact that Leilua could be an absolute weapon off the bench. But do you sacrifice 50 minutes of playing time for such a good player? I wouldn’t. His replacement would have to be better than Curtis Scott for me to consider it.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

I will still tip BJ to start centre with Scott on the wing. Simmonson/Havili can be 14 this year.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Ok, I'm going to have a crack at this before I read anyone else's teams... here goes:

1. CNK
2. Cotric
3. Croker (c)
4. Leilua
5. Scott
6. Wighton
7. GWilliams
8. Paps
9. Hodgo (c)
10. Sia
11. Bateman
12. Whitehead
13. Tarps

14. Simonsson
15. Havili
16. Horse
17. Guler

How'd I go??
jimmy82
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

SeeBee101 wrote: January 6, 2020, 1:35 pm I will still tip BJ to start centre with Scott on the wing. Simmonson/Havili can be 14 this year.
I have a feeling BJ will start and Scott will be the 14 this year.
jimmy82
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

1. CNK
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Simonsson

14. Scott
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

We werent shopping bj around. His management requested a contract extension on his current wage and were told we would not have the funds available for him in 2021.
They were told that if they could secure a contract of that value for beyond 2020 then we would allow him to take it up. How this has been spun to “shopped around” is extremely nrl.
Dont delete this GE
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

The Nickman wrote: January 6, 2020, 1:36 pm Ok, I'm going to have a crack at this before I read anyone else's teams... here goes:

1. CNK
2. Cotric
3. Croker (c)
4. Leilua
5. Scott
6. Wighton
7. GWilliams
8. Paps
9. Hodgo (c)
10. Sia
11. Bateman
12. Whitehead
13. Tarps

14. Simonsson
15. Havili
16. Horse
17. Guler

How'd I go??
Simmo and Havili?!?! Pretty sure you are going to have to pick 1, as Lui or Sutton will likely be the other.