Raiders player signing speculation 2020

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2020

Post by afgtnk »

AUSTEZER wrote: September 21, 2020, 2:20 pm I wouldn't swap Cnk for any fullback in the comp
Lol. Sure.

It's posts like these that make you wonder if so called 'fans' actually want what's best for the team and the club, instead of keeping stupid emotional attachment to specific players or coaches.

I mean for example I love Ricky Stuart, was a massive supporter of his to come on as coach at a time when he was widely unpopular, and still am a big supporter to this day. However, if you offered me the chance to sign Craig Bellamy or Trent Robinson though, I'd snap your arm off to take the deal.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Tedesco, rts, and healthy trbojivic are the only trades i would make. Anything else is a destabilising sidestep that doesnt improve on what we have enough (especially when you factor in price).
I love the defensive work of cnk and am happy for him to be a ruck it out fullback for us.
Id much prefer to unleash wighton a bit more offensively on both sides and have cnk sit left
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

simo wrote: September 21, 2020, 2:58 pm Tedesco, rts, and healthy trbojivic are the only trades i would make. Anything else is a destabilising sidestep that doesnt improve on what we have enough (especially when you factor in price).
I love the defensive work of cnk and am happy for him to be a ruck it out fullback for us.
Id much prefer to unleash wighton a bit more offensively on both sides and have cnk sit left
So just Tedesco and RTS then, because that third thing doesn't exist.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

The Nickman wrote: September 21, 2020, 3:00 pm
simo wrote: September 21, 2020, 2:58 pm Tedesco, rts, and healthy trbojivic are the only trades i would make. Anything else is a destabilising sidestep that doesnt improve on what we have enough (especially when you factor in price).
So just Tedesco and RTS then, because that third thing doesn't exist.
Pretty much, but its such an elite talent it needed to be put in. God rest its soul
Dont delete this GE
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Belcher#1 »

Would people still trade CNK for teddy or RTS if it meant losing a wighton, hodgson or whitehead? I sure as hell wouldn't.
Realistically that is what it would take unless you completely slaughter the starting lineup depth and replace with much cheaper players.

Charnze might not be an attacking dynamo but he is still a damn good fullback and on a very club friendly contract.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

James Tedesco?

James Tedesco the NSW and Australian fullback. Consecutive grand final winner, reigning Dally M medalist/Wally Lewis medalist/Brad Fittler medalist. Best player in the game, in the prime of his career.

Do you mean that James Tedesco? Because if you do, then yes. It's possibly one of the dumbest questions ever posed on a Rugby League forum, anywhere.

**** bubbles baths galore here today, seriously. It's some kind of parallel universe.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote: September 21, 2020, 3:32 pm James Tedesco?

James Tedesco the NSW and Australian fullback. Consecutive grand final winner, reigning Dally M medalist/Wally Lewis medalist/Brad Fittler medalist. Best player in the game, in the prime of his career.

Do you mean that James Tedesco? Because if you do, then yes. It's possibly one of the dumbest questions ever posed on a Rugby League forum, anywhere.

**** bubbles baths galore here today, seriously. It's some kind of parallel universe.
I have a question for you though... would you replace CNK with James Tedesco if it meant you lost Jack Wighton AND Ricky Stuart became the defensive coach with Bret White as head coach and the ghost of Blake Ferguson was your starting winger instead of Bailey Simonsson??

Could you even imagine a world without hypothetical situations?
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

This place has gone full 2020 today
Dont delete this GE
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills today.

It's as if people think they can win a grand final with a lineup solely comprised of Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad's and Hudson Young's, with a few Semi Valemei's and Dunamis Lui's sprinkled in for good measure.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

afgtnk wrote: September 21, 2020, 3:41 pm I feel like I'm taking crazy pills today.

It's as if people think they can win a grand final with a lineup solely comprised of Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad's and Hudson Young's, with a few Semi Valemei's and Dunamis Lui's sprinkled in for good measure.
Youve got dufty ahead of cnk and young being dropped for sia.
You arent quite seiffart yet but youre throwing some rubbish around
Dont delete this GE
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne

Post by Belcher#1 »

afgtnk wrote: September 21, 2020, 3:41 pm I feel like I'm taking crazy pills today.

came pretty close last year
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

simo wrote: September 21, 2020, 3:43 pm

That's not rubbish, at all.

Whether you like it or not, Dufty is a very good attacking fullback, a game breaker, extremely fast and elite level as a support player already. CNK isn't. Reverse that for the defensive aspect of things.

Hudson Young is only handful of games into his career as a middle forward, only 22 and still raw. He has improved, but he's still on the edges of our middle forward rankings. Sia Soliola has over 300 top flight games, played in grand finals and test matches, a respected leader, and arguably one of the biggest drivers of the new playing culture Stuart brought to the club.

If you think those points aren't clearly merited, the rubbish is being hurled from your end.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Haha indeed. The only person making any genuine sense here today is me.

The rest of them are deadset taking bubble baths mate, surely.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I don't like all this talk, it upsets me.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

afgtnk wrote: September 21, 2020, 3:51 pm

Whether you like it or not, Dufty is a very good attacking fullback, a game breaker, extremely fast and elite level as a support player already. CNK isn't. Reverse that for the defensive aspect of things.

Hudson Young is only handful of games into his career as a middle forward, only 22 and still raw. He has improved, but he's still on the edges of our middle forward rankings. Sia Soliola has over 300 top flight games, played in grand finals and test matches, a respected leader, and arguably one of the biggest drivers of the new playing culture Stuart brought to the club.

If you think those points aren't clearly merited, the rubbish is being hurled from your end.
Dufty can create a brilliant play. But he will win you less games than cnk over all by a fair chunk.
Sia could be the greatest player in the world, but hes not coming into the side for young because young isnt first drop by a long stretch.
So rubbish call stands and leave those goalposts where you planted them thank you
Dont delete this GE
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

The Nickman wrote: September 21, 2020, 3:53 pm

Haha indeed. The only person making any genuine sense here today is me.

The rest of them are deadset taking bubble baths mate, surely.
Taking a what? Im an adult who showers. Im not into men and i dont miss jokes. In case anyone ever questions it. Also not too keen on this semi fellow for some reason i cant put my finger on publicly
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I see what you did there and I like it a LOT.

You're hired
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

simo wrote: September 21, 2020, 3:59 pm

Dufty can create a brilliant play. But he will win you less games than cnk over all by a fair chunk.
Sia could be the greatest player in the world, but hes not coming into the side for young because young isnt first drop by a long stretch.
So rubbish call stands and leave those goalposts where you planted them thank you
Goalposts? Lol.

What, you mean like these ones?

simo wrote: September 21, 2020, 2:58 pm Tedesco, rts, and healthy trbojivic are the only trades i would make.
Dude, you're basically rating the guy only behind three genuine superstars of the game. He's not the fourth best fullback in the game, no matter which way you put it. So yeah, sorry, but you have zero right to say someone else is talking rubbish when you pull out that trash.

As for Sia, I haven't said he should come in for Young which you've obviously missed or misinterpreted, but if it were down to a battle between them two in the context of the discussion that's being had (heading towards finals/GF), Sia wins every single time. One is a newb flavour of the month with a handful of good performances against weak opposition, the other is an established legend who's been there and done that. It's embarrassing to even compare the two.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

afgtnk wrote: September 21, 2020, 4:46 pm
simo wrote: September 21, 2020, 3:59 pm

Goalposts? Lol.

What, you mean like these ones?

simo wrote: September 21, 2020, 2:58 pm Tedesco, rts, and healthy trbojivic are the only trades i would make.
Dude, you're basically rating the guy only behind three genuine superstars of the game. He's not the fourth best fullback in the game, no matter which way you put it. So yeah, sorry, but you have zero right to say someone else is talking rubbish when you pull out that trash.

As for Sia, I haven't said he should come in for Young which you've obviously missed or misinterpreted, but if it were down to a battle between them two in the context of the discussion that's being had (heading towards finals/GF), Sia wins every single time. One is a newb flavour of the month with a handful of good performances against weak opposition, the other is an established legend who's been there and done that. It's embarrassing to even compare the two.
Sure, lets ignore the entire point about any other fullback not moving the needle enough for it to be worth destabilising what weve established as well as the cost effectiveness of the trade. Its simple. I dont know why you cant manage to grasp it.
Dont delete this GE
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

What makes you think a player would come in and be destabilising, especially when they'd have months to be integrated within the side before a season, and why are we looking to be 'cost effective' in a key position that can make or break you? If you've got money to under a cap, you spend it on those positions.

You're talking theoretical nonsense and way out of your depth here.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

afgtnk wrote: September 21, 2020, 5:20 pm What makes you think a player would come in and be destabilising, especially when they'd have months to be integrated within the side before a season, and why are we looking to be 'cost effective' in a key position that can make or break you? If you've got money to under a cap, you spend it on those positions.

I dont think its worth the risk as what we have there now works for us as an over all unit.
You wnjoy your nonsense world where signing dufty would make us a better team than having cnk. I want no part of that
Dont delete this GE
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Having the blessing of Duftys skills is what makes St George the attacking powerhouse they are.
There is only one club which will ever have the salary cap space to sign Tedesco, without having to unload a rep quality player to do so whilst inviting the most money hungry player of recent history to join for a guest visit, and that club is not the Raiders who had to unload players from a losing grandfinal side whilst the winners were able to bolster their side further.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

simo wrote: September 21, 2020, 5:30 pm
afgtnk wrote: September 21, 2020, 5:20 pm What makes you think a player would come in and be destabilising, especially when they'd have months to be integrated within the side before a season, and why are we looking to be 'cost effective' in a key position that can make or break you? If you've got money to under a cap, you spend it on those positions.

I dont think its worth the risk as what we have there now works for us as an over all unit.
You wnjoy your nonsense world where signing dufty would make us a better team than having cnk. I want no part of that
What works for us?

We're fifth with a clunky attack, devoid of any real speed in our outside backs, and a fullback who's limited in attack. We haven't won a premiership in 26 years either.

If you don't think we can or should get better, you're one of the emotionally attached muppets I've described earlier.
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by thedevilingreen »

I haven't been on here much this year. But the one question that has been in the front of mind all season was who is alphabet soup attacking now that Sezer is gone. Question answered see you all next season.
Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

afgtnk wrote: September 21, 2020, 5:36 pm

What works for us?

We're fifth with a clunky attack, devoid of any real speed in our outside backs, and a fullback who's limited in attack. We haven't won a premiership in 26 years either.

If you don't think we can or should get better, you're one of the emotionally attached muppets I've described earlier.
We’re fifth despite a horrible injury run and made last years gf. Thats som mediocrity i can deal with
Dont delete this GE
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

simo wrote: September 21, 2020, 5:48 pm
afgtnk wrote: September 21, 2020, 5:36 pm

What works for us?

We’re fifth despite a horrible injury run and made last years gf. Thats som mediocrity i can deal with
And to flip your previous statement around, you can enjoy your nonsense world where we tit sit and become happy with where we are, which will inevitably lead to going backwards.

I want absolutely zero part of that, and given the kind of moves Sticky makes, like getting rid of your beloved Sezer despite us making our first Grand Final in 25 years, I'm quite sure he wants no part of it too.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

I don't think Dufty is anything more than a sideways move really (if you were targeting him to replace CNK).
CNK gives you better defence and a larger body...he's also more versatile (can play centre and wing).
Dufty is quicker and can ball play better...but he's often rag dolled when caught early on kick returns.
I don't think we get rid of CNK for Dufty to be honest.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

No one wants Dufty to replace CNK, as far as I'm aware.

There are a few guys cut up about me rating him slightly higher than CNK (literally a spot higher), and seem to have taken that as me wanting to replace CNK with him, notably Simon, but that's not the case.

However, I think Dufty at this stage has more upside and a better base to work from being a game breaker, and probably doesn't look as good as he could playing in the team he does.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Yeah that's fair enough.
Our attack has struggled and Dufty is a guy that can break a game for you for sure.
St Merge are a basket case...
What I'd give for Lomax in our team...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

afgfhjgkgktkfkgkt fair dinkum drinking out of the bubble bath at this stage of the discussion
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

The Nickman wrote: September 21, 2020, 3:35 pm
afgtnk wrote: September 21, 2020, 3:32 pm James Tedesco?

I have a question for you though... would you replace CNK with James Tedesco if it meant you lost Jack Wighton AND Ricky Stuart became the defensive coach with Bret White as head coach and the ghost of Blake Ferguson was your starting winger instead of Bailey Simonsson??

Could you even imagine a world without hypothetical situations?
You scare me sometimes. You're like frued on a forum
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

afgtnk wrote: September 21, 2020, 6:22 pm No one wants Dufty to replace CNK, as far as I'm aware.

There are a few guys cut up about me rating him slightly higher than CNK (literally a spot higher), and seem to have taken that as me wanting to replace CNK with him, notably Simon, but that's not the case.

However, I think Dufty at this stage has more upside and a better base to work from being a game breaker, and probably doesn't look as good as he could playing in the team he does.
Maybe st george are playing like **** is because their halves are **** and their fullback is not as good as ours...
Not ****... maybe he could get a wing spot for us maybe...
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Dismissing a clearly talented footballer because he plays for a notriously underachieving club with poor coaching and bad infrastructure is rarely a good position to be in... but it's particularily baffling when that dismissal comes about in a discussion about CNK who we got because he was

*checks notes*

*drum roll please*

a talented footballer who was playing for a notriously underachieving club with poor coaching and bad infrastructure.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Dragons have had quite good roster, just a terribly poor coach who made almost every player look worse than what they were. Hopeless also at bringing through young talent and getting them embedded into first grade - he messed around nicely with guys like Dufty for quite a while.