Raiders player signing speculation 2020

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2020

Post by afgtnk »

greeneyed wrote: September 19, 2020, 6:56 pm People can peruse the defensive (and other) statistics for fullbacks here: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... =tryCauses
Dufty 13 Try Assists to CNK's three
Dufty 11 Tries to CNK's seven

Fox Sports' try causes are a rubbish stat regardless of the player IMO, but even if we do take them, it's Dufty 18 to CNK nine. That's a net +5 to Dufty all things added up, and he's in a far **** side.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

It's the speed that makes those guys the support players they are
CNK is very active in support play, as active as any of them, but when a break is made, that speed to catch up to the play and position yourself where you need to be to take advantage is why Tedesco/TT/Pap and guys like Dufty can really feel like they're ahead of the others in this area.

as has been identified by most of us here, this team is lacking in genuine speed
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: September 19, 2020, 7:02 pm Fox Sports' try causes are a rubbish stat regardless of the player IMO
It's not perfect and i've got my own issues with fox sports try cause/assist stats but it's the best measure avaiable to the general public and gives a much better and more accurate picture of what is really going on than any thing else.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

What about Gutherson?

He doesn't have anywhere near that speed and yet he's probably only a touch below them
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Defensive stats for NRL fullbacks aren't developed at all. They can't be using the same basic ones for every player - need stuff like tries saved, % of kicks diffused by kick type, in-goal escapes, etc.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: September 19, 2020, 7:06 pm What about Gutherson?

He doesn't have anywhere near that speed and yet he's probably only a touch below them
Gutherson is a little faster than he's given credit for, but it's a good counter. My position on that would be he's a bit unique in that he's got this very innate feel for the game and where to be. Reminds a bit of Terry Lamb, he was never fast but scored a ton of tries as a support player because he just had that feel for the game... Gutho is a natural ball player between the ears, he reads and understands the game extremely well and that allows him to put himself in position and react a bit quicker
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Botman wrote: September 19, 2020, 7:11 pm
afgtnk wrote: September 19, 2020, 7:06 pm What about Gutherson?

Gutherson is a little faster than he's given credit for, but it's a good counter. My position on that would be he's a bit unique in that he's got this very innate feel for the game and where to be. Reminds a bit of Terry Lamb, he was never fast but scored a ton of tries as a support player because he just had that feel for the game... Gutho is a natural ball player between the ears, he reads and understands the game extremely well and that allows him to put himself in position and react a bit quicker
Agree, and to me that's what most of support play is, as opposed to just pure speed. You've got to have that 'know' of where the ball is going and at least be in the frame for it.

Dufty isn't Gutho level as a playmaker but he's certainly dangerous, as we ourselves saw just last week.
Last edited by afgtnk on September 19, 2020, 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Gutho is quick.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

afgtnk wrote:
greeneyed wrote: September 19, 2020, 6:56 pm People can peruse the defensive (and other) statistics for fullbacks here: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... =tryCauses

Fox Sports' try causes are a rubbish stat regardless of the player IMO, but even if we do take them, it's Dufty 18 to CNK nine. That's a net +5 to Dufty all things added up, and he's in a far **** side.
Think you’re forgetting tries saved also in defence. Reckon Dufty stops a charging Sivo one on one?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

afgtnk wrote: September 19, 2020, 7:02 pm

There are other attacking stats, however, where CNK is in front... average running metres and tackle breaks for example. Tackle efficiency?
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

greeneyed wrote: September 19, 2020, 6:19 pm Dufty is not a better fullback than CNK. Fullbacks are also required to defend... Latrell Mitchell is not in the top four fullbacks either, IMO.
Completely agree. For this team that we have, cnk is a ok.
Dont delete this GE
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

greeneyed wrote: September 19, 2020, 7:45 pm

There are other attacking stats, however, where CNK is in front... average running metres and tackle breaks for example. Tackle efficiency?
Theres also the way the fullback manages the defensive line and plugs gaps as the game rolls on. Cnk deserves a lot of credit for our teams over all improved defence
Dont delete this GE
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

simo wrote:
greeneyed wrote: September 19, 2020, 7:45 pm

Theres also the way the fullback manages the defensive line and plugs gaps as the game rolls on. Cnk deserves a lot of credit for our teams over all improved defence
100%, and CNK has never been squatted away like a fly trying to make a tackle.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Botman wrote: September 19, 2020, 6:51 pm I'm going to split the difference here
COM is off the mark when he say no one would consider Dufty a good fullback, i think most judges would see him as a good but flawed fullback. He's a bit like the anti CNK... he's all about attack, he can cut teams to ribbons, and his ball playing is some of the best in the game for that position. He can reliably and consistently create tries with his ball running and ball playing... that's a pretty handy place to start as a 2020 fullback

But defensively he's a sieve. And positionally he can be found out. CNK thrives on those things but is a total waste of time as a ball player.

Is he better than CNK? Depends... do you need your team to create points or stop them?
I'd have them ranked pretty much the same, to me they are the same player sort of quality of player but at polar ends of the spectrum. I'd probably have CNK slightly ahead simply because he's still an effective and good ball runner and he's shown some other creative skills with some little kicks etc... so i'd have him slightly ahead of Dufty but i have watched Dufty this year and wondered if we wouldnt be a more balanced team with a fullback like him over CNK.
I think that's a good shout, but CNK has to be above Dufty as a choice.

It's easier to find some ball playing elsewhere than it is to plug the gaps in the last line of defence.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Would anyone rather AJ Brimson? He is going great guns
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Raiders666 wrote:Would anyone rather AJ Brimson? He is going great guns
Was thinking that. He was excellent for the Titans yesterday and is only 22.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Titans are a really fun team to watch. I think they could make the 8 next year. Holbrook has done a wonderful job so far.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I actually thought Holbrook's career would take a big hit, just like every other coach they've had- not one of whom ever saw another NRL head coach gig.

But he must have something about him to get the GC heading in the right direction, without a great roster and he's brought a few players through under him. Have to respect that.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

They have some great young players
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Holbrook has done a fabulous job of keeping his team motivated and constantly improving under the circumstances.

They basically lost James and Boyd as their starting front row, and then Arrow defected. Despite that, their pack has stood up and punched well above their weight.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on September 21, 2020, 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

As far as Dufty goes, he has not showed an iota of improvement in defence during his career.

On the other hand, CNK has slowly been adding strings to his bow with the ball. Patience isn't a virtue with many fans, but there is no way our coaching staff is swapping a hard working top 5 defensive fullback with Dufty.
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

afgtnk wrote: September 19, 2020, 7:08 pm Defensive stats for NRL fullbacks aren't developed at all. They can't be using the same basic ones for every player - need stuff like tries saved, % of kicks diffused by kick type, in-goal escapes, etc.
I remember an article last year discussing in goal eacapes. CNK was number one in the league!

Happy to be corrected as it was a few months ago. But that's how I recall it.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

casta66 wrote: September 20, 2020, 1:22 pm
afgtnk wrote: September 19, 2020, 7:08 pm Defensive stats for NRL fullbacks aren't developed at all. They can't be using the same basic ones for every player - need stuff like tries saved, % of kicks diffused by kick type, in-goal escapes, etc.
I remember an article last year discussing in goal eacapes. CNK was number one in the league!

He was, with daylight second. When you talk defence; in goal escapes; positioning so as not to have to escape; safety under high ball or grubber; tackling ability; getting to long kicks on the full for returns; goal line defence; marshalling of the defensive line (hardest to gauge but possibly most important) all come under that umbrella.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

I really enjoy watching Duffy play. He’s always been excellent running the ball but his passing this year has been fantastic too.

But there’s no team I’d take him in over CNK and I definitely wouldn’t do it for our team.

I also agree with Seiffert’s point above about patience. Let’s see how CNK develops over the next couple of seasons. My money is that he’ll slowly add the missing elements we want.
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

I was talking to my son about Charnze yesterday. CNK is his fave player.
We both agree that when raiders are on top, you hardly seem to notice him.
But when they are on the back foot, he really digs in.
His effort in that Panthers game was remarkable. I know he scored 2 quick tries but even apart from that, when the chips were down he was taking every run he could.
Effort, attitude, good defensive read. I love him at the back.
When Wighton started at fullback a few years back, the comments were that you need 50 games there before you feel comfortable.
CNK is well on his way. And even last year was rated as one of the top number 1s.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Botman wrote: September 19, 2020, 6:51 pm I'm going to split the difference here
COM is off the mark when he say no one would consider Dufty a good fullback, i think most judges would see him as a good but flawed fullback. He's a bit like the anti CNK... he's all about attack, he can cut teams to ribbons, and his ball playing is some of the best in the game for that position. He can reliably and consistently create tries with his ball running and ball playing... that's a pretty handy place to start as a 2020 fullback

But defensively he's a sieve. And positionally he can be found out. CNK thrives on those things but is a total waste of time as a ball player.

Is he better than CNK? Depends... do you need your team to create points or stop them?
I'd have them ranked pretty much the same, to me they are the same player sort of quality of player but at polar ends of the spectrum. I'd probably have CNK slightly ahead simply because he's still an effective and good ball runner and he's shown some other creative skills with some little kicks etc... so i'd have him slightly ahead of Dufty but i have watched Dufty this year and wondered if we wouldnt be a more balanced team with a fullback like him over CNK.
Which in turn probably depends on who else is in your spine. Between Hodgson, Georgie and Wighton, there 's plenty of attack in that spine so CNK is an ok fit for us, at the right price

Someone mentioned AJ Brimson - he'll be right up there with the best fullbacks soon imo, if not already. Superstars are invariably superstars because of their attack, not defence
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

afgtnk wrote: September 19, 2020, 2:46 pm You can't be considered anywhere near a top tier fullback if you're not a threat with the ball in hand or a good/great support player. His defensive skills are better than average, but even then he's far from the safety of a Schifcofske or Luke Phillips to make his name purely in that regard.

I've currently got him 9th behind (no particular order) Mitchell, RTS, Tedesco, Gutherson, Papenhuyzen, Ponga, Dufty, and Trbojevic.
Dylan Edwards not far off either, I've probably been underrating him this year. He's at least a good metre eater as CNK, better support player and probably a better ballplayer... I didn't rate him in the latter until recently and seen some good things - although would be interesting to see the stats, and he's playing in a more well-oiled attack machine to be fair
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Canberra Milk wrote:

Which in turn probably depends on who else is in your spine. Between Hodgson, Georgie and Wighton, there 's plenty of attack in that spine so CNK is an ok fit for us, at the right price

Someone mentioned AJ Brimson - he'll be right up there with the best fullbacks soon imo, if not already. Superstars are invariably superstars because of their attack, not defence
Note Trbojevic, absolute gumby defender but weapon with the ball

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Canberra Milk wrote: September 21, 2020, 11:46 am
afgtnk wrote: September 19, 2020, 2:46 pm You can't be considered anywhere near a top tier fullback if you're not a threat with the ball in hand or a good/great support player. His defensive skills are better than average, but even then he's far from the safety of a Schifcofske or Luke Phillips to make his name purely in that regard.

I've currently got him 9th behind (no particular order) Mitchell, RTS, Tedesco, Gutherson, Papenhuyzen, Ponga, Dufty, and Trbojevic.
Dylan Edwards not far off either, I've probably been underrating him this year. He's at least a good metre eater as CNK, better support player and probably a better ballplayer... I didn't rate him in the latter until recently and seen some good things - although would be interesting to see the stats, and he's playing in a more well-oiled attack machine to be fair
Yeah he's decent. Understandably not getting many plaudits though with the other three in Panthers' spine on fire this season.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

BadnMean wrote: September 20, 2020, 4:19 pm
casta66 wrote: September 20, 2020, 1:22 pm

He was, with daylight second. When you talk defence; in goal escapes; positioning so as not to have to escape; safety under high ball or grubber; tackling ability; getting to long kicks on the full for returns; goal line defence; marshalling of the defensive line (hardest to gauge but possibly most important) all come under that umbrella.
Yep, the fact he hasn't had to do the same thing this season indicates to me that our defence up the field has improved in 2020. We regularly seemed to be running off our line last year as the opposition camped in our 20 metre zone. It certainly doesn't seem to be happening so much this season.

I wish the NRL provided stats on line drop outs conceded or opposition tackles in your defensive 20. I'd love to see how 2019 and 2020 compares.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I have no drama with CNK nor have I ever... this fanbase is weird sometimes.

More like bag out the players forum.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Pretty much all of the game's top fullbacks will tell you that it took them several years to develop their ball playing skills... can't really expect this guy to be up amongst the best in that field in his second year in the position. Surely you gotta give CNK some more time to show improvement there before passing judgement.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Yes well Dufty seems to have pulled his out of basically nowhere this year
AUSTEZER
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: John Ferguson

Post by AUSTEZER »

I wouldn't swap Cnk for any fullback in the comp
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

Anyone who doubts CNK needs to just watch his tackle to put RTS on his back once he had broken through to open field yesterday. Not many fullbacks in the game make that tackle.