Raiders player signing speculation 2020

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BJ
Steve Walters

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2020

Post by BJ »

Lui_Bon wrote:
greeneyed wrote: September 23, 2020, 9:42 pm He’s only played five NRL games, one at fullback, one at half and one on the wing... both games he’s played this year off the bench. It’s a no from me... of course I’ve been wrong before, but Dragons cast off isn’t inspiring me. Would rather do some retention. Stuart isn’t giving all these young guys debuts for no reason IMO.
I'll probably be proven wrong but I can't help thinking that in about 3 years people will be wondering what fools passed up on Tristan Sailor. The couipole of times I've seen him I've wondered why St George were picking at least three sock puppets ahead of him.
I have to agree with you, From what I’ve seen of him you will likely ‘be proven wrong’ and I think he’s traded on his surname and connections. Definitely better talent floating around the second tier.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Give Staggs 800k for 4 seasons
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

radicalraider wrote: September 24, 2020, 2:56 pm Give Staggs 800k for 4 seasons
Given they are at or about the cap limit, who has to take a cut to allow for this?
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Sailor has a lot of talent IMO.

We won't have any use for him, but there should be a few clubs that would. Creative half types with imagination and good speed are few and far between in this comp.
Rads1984
Brett Mullins

Post by Rads1984 »

Sign Sailor as a centre who will eventually move into the halves. Wighton could eventually end up a ball playing lock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I think if you're going with Sailor it has to be at fullback for a couple of years. If you play him in the line now he's going to be a target after 4 rounds.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Sailor has talent, that much is clear... but he has not imo shown a great deal in FG.
Probably not for us, he'd be coming here as a clear development player who will have to bide his time... not sure that's what he'd be looking nor do i think it is what he should be looking for
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I think Sailor will end up at a QLD side.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Have to agree with the consensus that Sailor looked good, albeit a small sample size. He'd be a good pickup for Broncos
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Sailor only got to first grade because of his name imo. Not much of a prospect at all from what I’ve seen.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

julian87 wrote: September 26, 2020, 6:11 am Sailor only got to first grade because of his name imo. Not much of a prospect at all from what I’ve seen.
Agreed, people need to calm the F down. Sifting through the dregs of the bottom eight sides is beneath us and where our club is atm.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Riaan wrote: September 26, 2020, 2:27 pm
julian87 wrote: September 26, 2020, 6:11 am Sailor only got to first grade because of his name imo. Not much of a prospect at all from what I’ve seen.
Agreed, people need to calm the F down. Sifting through the dregs of the bottom eight sides is beneath us and where our club is atm.
To be fair, I don't think I've seen many at all clamouring to sign Sailor to the Raiders, but someone casually brought him up to discuss and a bunch of people back and forthing over whether he could be a good Fg'er somewhere, not necessarily here.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

BadnMean wrote:
Riaan wrote: September 26, 2020, 2:27 pm
To be fair, I don't think I've seen many at all clamouring to sign Sailor to the Raiders, but someone casually brought him up to discuss and a bunch of people back and forthing over whether he could be a good Fg'er somewhere, not necessarily here.
Yeah I’ll put my hand up for that one. I threw the grenade out there to kick start a convo and watch the reactions.

FWIW I’m in the “We have better players in house than what’s in the market” camp
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Colk
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

Where are our thoughts now after this weekend’s performance. Do we still need to sign a back for next year?
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Colk wrote: October 4, 2020, 7:12 pm Where are our thoughts now after this weekend’s performance. Do we still need to sign a back for next year?
In terms of starting quality, absolutely - if we can get or hands on the right player. We're losing arguably our best back and the only real attacking threat in the current 1-5.

In terms of depth, I think that as a rule of thumb you should have a cover for each spot in the backline, although with the (proposed?) squad reduction next year, we'll probably have to get away with one less. Looking at the depth next year, we've got:

Croker
Nicoll-Klokstad
Rapana (likely)
Scott
Simonsson
Smith-Shields
Timoko
Valemei

I suspect we'll be moving on Oldfield and Kris, and not sure what's happening with Adam Cook or with any other young guys that may have been on their way up. May need to end up signing a cheapy to round out the numbers.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

afgtnk wrote:
Colk wrote: October 4, 2020, 7:12 pm Where are our thoughts now after this weekend’s performance. Do we still need to sign a back for next year?
In terms of starting quality, absolutely - if we can get or hands on the right player. We're losing arguably our best back and the only real attacking threat in the current 1-5.

In terms of depth, I think that as a rule of thumb you should have a cover for each spot in the backline, although with the (proposed?) squad reduction next year, we'll probably have to get away with one less. Looking at the depth next year, we've got:

Croker
Nicoll-Klokstad
Rapana (likely)
Scott
Simonsson
Smith-Shields
Timoko
Valemei

I suspect we'll be moving on Oldfield and Kris, and not sure what's happening with Adam Cook or with any other young guys that may have been on their way up. May need to end up signing a cheapy to round out the numbers.
There was reports that Cook extended but also Andre Niko missed this season also on the books

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

afgtnk wrote: October 4, 2020, 8:24 pm

Croker
Nicoll-Klokstad
Rapana (likely)
Scott
Simonsson
Smith-Shields
Timoko
Valemei

How did you miss cook resigning for 2 years ?
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Timoko for right centre next year.. he is made for first grade..
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Croker
Nicoll-Klokstad
Rapana (likely)
Scott
Simonsson
Smith-Shields
Timoko
Valemei

Looking at that, knowing we have 2 pretty interesting young centres coming through (assume one will be a hit and one may not be), Croker will be around a while yet and is on decent coin the sensible move still looms like move Scott along as he's not better than Timoko/HSS may be and they are much cheaper plus we lose one or both if we stick to Scott. Dumb play. Pay Scott to move along.

FB is covered in CNK, Cook, Rapana

Wingers out of Rapana, Simo, Valemi... Valemi is promising but not made himself a must have. Simo had a great first season but average this season before injury. Rapana has some value in that mix as right winger + backup FB/4th choice centre.

I'd be recruiting a good winger if we can get one (if he can play centre in a pinch, great). Rona would have been perfect. Croker, HSS, Timoko are 3 decent centre options, with our 4th choice likely to realistically be playing Rapana there for a game or two. Scott costs too much to be a backup, move him along. Everyone else is some combination of a few from: cheaper, younger, better, more potential or has more utility value.

He's the obvious one to shift out now that we've seen what's beneath him and his injury record now with this busted leg looking like it needs operations and a reheal is pretty bad - maybe he just won't stand up. Not counting his debut year (kid filling a couple of games ala HSS), he's since had 4 seasons of NRL and played less than 50% of his teams games in 3 of those 4 seasons... No value.

Depending on if O'DOnnel, Medlyn or Rushton are seen as middles only, we probably need an edge forward. If O'Donnel is a genuine edge, then we should be ok.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

I've heard that HSS considers himself to be a FB first and a centre second. Not sure of the validity of that, and have never seen him play FB in the junior games. GE may know more.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I've liked what I've seen from HSS in his limited opportunities.

And I hope the club has him in their plans going forward.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Cranky Old Man wrote: October 5, 2020, 12:21 pm I've heard that HSS considers himself to be a FB first and a centre second. Not sure of the validity of that, and have never seen him play FB in the junior games. GE may know more.
He played fullback in the Jersey Flegg GF from what I can remember. Has played much better at centre but he does have good pace so could play anywhere in the back five
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

BadnMean wrote: October 5, 2020, 10:55 am

Croker
Nicoll-Klokstad
Rapana (likely)
Scott
Simonsson
Smith-Shields
Timoko
Valemei

Looking at that, knowing we have 2 pretty interesting young centres coming through (assume one will be a hit and one may not be), Croker will be around a while yet and is on decent coin the sensible move still looms like move Scott along as he's not better than Timoko/HSS may be and they are much cheaper plus we lose one or both if we stick to Scott. Dumb play. Pay Scott to move along.

FB is covered in CNK, Cook, Rapana

Wingers out of Rapana, Simo, Valemi... Valemi is promising but not made himself a must have. Simo had a great first season but average this season before injury. Rapana has some value in that mix as right winger + backup FB/4th choice centre.

I'd be recruiting a good winger if we can get one (if he can play centre in a pinch, great). Rona would have been perfect. Croker, HSS, Timoko are 3 decent centre options, with our 4th choice likely to realistically be playing Rapana there for a game or two. Scott costs too much to be a backup, move him along. Everyone else is some combination of a few from: cheaper, younger, better, more potential or has more utility value.

He's the obvious one to shift out now that we've seen what's beneath him and his injury record now with this busted leg looking like it needs operations and a reheal is pretty bad - maybe he just won't stand up. Not counting his debut year (kid filling a couple of games ala HSS), he's since had 4 seasons of NRL and played less than 50% of his teams games in 3 of those 4 seasons... No value.

Depending on if O'DOnnel, Medlyn or Rushton are seen as middles only, we probably need an edge forward. If O'Donnel is a genuine edge, then we should be ok.
I’m really surprised by that injury stat for Scott. I thought he was just dropped by the Storm because of off field/form issues which is precisely why I was worried about his signing; moreover they have happily replaced with Brenko Lee who is only an ok centre. As a general rule of thumb if the Storm are willing to let you go it is generally best to not pursue that option as they don’t make recruitment mistakes very often.

It is funny about the potential angle though. I remember recently Andrew Johns saying that as this court issue has been resolved, he could see NSW and Australian potential in him. I wonder if it is because he played for the Storm?
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Cranky Old Man wrote: October 5, 2020, 12:21 pm I've heard that HSS considers himself to be a FB first and a centre second. Not sure of the validity of that, and have never seen him play FB in the junior games. GE may know more.
He has that hint of good decision making, quality touches and game smarts from what I've seen so if he feels that way then maybe he is- certainly more so than Timoko who looks clearly like an out and out power centre.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Colk wrote: October 5, 2020, 12:59 pm

I’m really surprised by that injury stat for Scott. I thought he was just dropped by the Storm because of off field/form issues which is precisely why I was worried about his signing; moreover they have happily replaced with Brenko Lee who is only an ok centre. As a general rule of thumb if the Storm are willing to let you go it is generally best to not pursue that option as they don’t make recruitment mistakes very often.

It is funny about the potential angle though. I remember recently Andrew Johns saying that as this court issue has been resolved, he could see NSW and Australian potential in him. I wonder if it is because he played for the Storm?
Is there a single numpty out there Joey hasn't signalled for rep duties? He throws out about 8 a season and 90% are awful, awful calls. McCrone for NSW half should end the debate from Joey. I really doubt Joey even watches more than 1 game a week.

His dropping from melbourne came off the back of a foot injury and poor form I believe. Then his leg Or was the leg previous? Some of it may also have been his off field actions. Either way it's a repeating pattern of injury, poor off field behaviour and no value for the club who's paying him. I hope he's turned a corner for his own sake but when assessing our backline stocks in review of the season and looking to next, I still come to the same conclusion.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Bit like Cotric TBH. Bigger and faster than guys his age. FB sees more ball, so in jrs, you play your big fast back there. Doesnt have the ball skills of a modern FB.

He looks a centre to me... again, like Cotric.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Colk wrote: October 5, 2020, 12:49 pm
He played fullback in the Jersey Flegg GF from what I can remember. Has played much better at centre but he does have good pace so could play anywhere in the back five
Agree with that. Didn't have an entirely happy Grand Final at fullback. Better at the centre or on the wing for mine.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

BadnMean wrote: October 5, 2020, 1:54 pm
Colk wrote: October 5, 2020, 12:59 pm

Is there a single numpty out there Joey hasn't signalled for rep duties? He throws out about 8 a season and 90% are awful, awful calls. McCrone for NSW half should end the debate from Joey. I really doubt Joey even watches more than 1 game a week.

His dropping from melbourne came off the back of a foot injury and poor form I believe. Then his leg Or was the leg previous? Some of it may also have been his off field actions. Either way it's a repeating pattern of injury, poor off field behaviour and no value for the club who's paying him. I hope he's turned a corner for his own sake but when assessing our backline stocks in review of the season and looking to next, I still come to the same conclusion.
I didn’t know about his history. I thought it was a really weird call. I know about his let’s make it a 12 team competition which is one of the dumbest calls that I’ve heard
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

This obviously doesn't seem a popular opinion, but I was at the ground on Saturday and really liked Semi.

I thought he made some real tough carries at crucial times. And took a couple of high balls under crazy pressure.

I actually came away thinking he will be in our 13 next year.

But everyone seems to be disappointed with him. What did I miss? Was it some bad defensive reads??
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

casta66 wrote: October 5, 2020, 4:41 pm This obviously doesn't seem a popular opinion, but I was at the ground on Saturday and really liked Semi.

I thought he made some real tough carries at crucial times. And took a couple of high balls under crazy pressure.

I actually came away thinking he will be in our 13 next year.

But everyone seems to be disappointed with him. What did I miss? Was it some bad defensive reads??
He has improved. I guess the two times he was taken in goal were mistakes; particularly the second. He didn’t get out jumped in this game or was noticeably absent defensively in this game which is better.

My belief is his upside isn’t as much as Timoko or HSS, I see at best solid first grader
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Backline for next year (assuming Raps re-signs)

My pick
1.CNK
2.HSS
3. Croker
4. Timoko
5. Rapana

What I think Ricky will pick
1. CNK
2. Valemei
3. Croker
4. Scott
5.Rapana
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Colk wrote: October 5, 2020, 6:17 pm Backline for next year (assuming Raps re-signs)

My pick
1.CNK
2.HSS
3. Croker
4. Timoko
5. Rapana

1. CNK
2. Valemei
3. Croker
4. Scott
5.Rapana
You giving up on Simonssen?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Northern Raider wrote: October 5, 2020, 8:10 pm
Colk wrote: October 5, 2020, 6:17 pm Backline for next year (assuming Raps re-signs)

My pick
1.CNK
2.HSS
3. Croker
4. Timoko
5. Rapana

1. CNK
2. Valemei
3. Croker
4. Scott
5.Rapana
You giving up on Simonssen?
No not yet. I think he will be in a tussle with Smith Shields and Valemei. I thought he was excellent last year and if his form gets back to that level then he will be picked

I think HSS has the most talent but I think Ricky likes Valemei the most judging by the way he is backing him through his early jitters
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

I'm with Ricky.

I really see a big future with Semi.

Can't judge him too hard on a few games.

He's been impressive. The errors can be fixed.

Hss and timoko have had very limited opportunities not only to be judged on, but to be criticised on.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

casta66 wrote: October 5, 2020, 9:00 pm I'm with Ricky.

I really see a big future with Semi.

Can't judge him too hard on a few games.

He's been impressive. The errors can be fixed.

Hss and timoko have had very limited opportunities not only to be judged on, but to be criticised on.
I was basing my opinion on what I saw from Flegg last year but also on the Sharks game. I think he was the least impressive of the three in that game and in Flegg last year. He still has a chance to be a good first grader albeit not in the class of the very best wingers