Post by simo »

Liam martin is still my recommendation
Dont delete this GE
Damoni
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2020

Post by Damoni »

Bit harsh on Elliot he’s been ok this year currently leads the comp for locks in offloads and a couple of try assists in a very average team don’t think it would break the bank to get him

As for Asiata he could be handy as we don’t have a forward that plays as a link man like a Radley has been this year and seems like the way forward under new rules

DT also mentions clubs waiting on whether CHN can play again this year, hopefully we are one of them
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Damoni wrote: July 2, 2020, 9:43 am Bit harsh on Elliot he’s been ok this year currently leads the comp for locks in offloads and a couple of try assists in a very average team don’t think it would break the bank to get him

As for Asiata he could be handy as we don’t have a forward that plays as a link man like a Radley has been this year and seems like the way forward under new rules

DT also mentions clubs waiting on whether CHN can play again this year, hopefully we are one of them
CHN would be a great option. I don't see him being rubbed out beyond this year.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Tohu Harris has still got an extra year on his contract but he'd go well.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Damoni wrote: July 2, 2020, 9:43 am Bit harsh on Elliot he’s been ok this year currently leads the comp for locks in offloads and a couple of try assists in a very average team don’t think it would break the bank to get him

His offloads are often rubbish
Dont delete this GE
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Northern Raider wrote: July 2, 2020, 9:28 am Looking at Zero Tackle website and the off contract edge backrowers. Not a lot of walk up starters there. Might be worth looking at a short term deal for the guys nearing the end of their career like Aubsusson or Proctor. Otherwise Isaiah Papali'i would be worth an enquiry. Only 21 and has a fair bit of talent. Might do better in a more settled environment than he has a the Warriors.
These days, I think you have to also look at who is off 2021 and go for the release. Every 2nd deal does that now.

If we expand to there we have Kaufusi, Tevita Tatola, Isaah Yeo all coming off end 2021 who are good players and worth looking at. As well as Finucane. I would absolutely jump at Tohu Harris too if we could get him.

Others like TPJ who are at unsettled clubs would be worth a shot. Fifita - well we could ask but I think he'll go for 800k or so- maybe just out of our price range. Ditto Crichton.
Last edited by BadnMean on July 2, 2020, 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

simo wrote: July 2, 2020, 9:58 am

His offloads are often rubbish
I just started from, "is any part of his game better than Tapine or Havilii as a lock?". I came up with no.

Then it's ok, if he wants to give up a regular 17 spot and be battling out for depth then ok.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I'm firmly in the camp of buying a 2nd rower.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

BadnMean wrote: July 2, 2020, 9:59 am
Northern Raider wrote: July 2, 2020, 9:28 am Looking at Zero Tackle website and the off contract edge backrowers. Not a lot of walk up starters there. Might be worth looking at a short term deal for the guys nearing the end of their career like Aubsusson or Proctor. Otherwise Isaiah Papali'i would be worth an enquiry. Only 21 and has a fair bit of talent. Might do better in a more settled environment than he has a the Warriors.
These days, I think you have to also look at who is off 2021 and go for the release. Every 2nd deal does that now.

If we expand to there we have Kaufusi, Tevita Tatola, Isaah Yeo all coming off end 2021 who are good players and worth looking at. As well as Finucane.

Others like TPJ who are at unsettled clubs would be worth a shot. Fifita - well we could ask but I think he'll go for 800k or so- maybe just out of our price range. Ditto Crichton.
True but to do that you need to be offering well in advance of their current deal e.g. Ryan Matterson (twice). Means you have to find somebody relatively underpaid who's worth the extra coin.

Of those mentioned Kaufusi comes with the Storm waring. You don't want to over pay for a Bellamy product. Tatola and Finucane are purely middles. Yeo is a good solid player and wouldn't imagine him currently being on big $$. Right now he's playing the house down in 13 but prior to that he was always an edge player.

TPJ is a beast but his discipline (or lack of) would do our heads in. Fifita is out of our price range. Titans already have $1m on the table for him. Crichton on the other hand will not be getting $1m next time round so worth a look if you can get him well under that mark.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I can't go back to plodders I just can't

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I really like what Finucane achieved last year and Yeo this year so far but those sort of 'high output' players are a gamble IMO. It's pretty rare for them to maintain their top level form over consecutive years. There are only a few exceptions - Lolo being the yardstick. Already this year Finucane isn't the player he was last year. You need to get these types before they peak, to get the best value from them.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Happy to see how young plays over a few rounds before deciding what we need.
Dont delete this GE
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

I quite like Yeo if he's on the right money, covers second row, lock and centre at a pinch
Yea Papalli is an interesting one, looked really good in his first season and decidedly average since(kind of Luke Batemanesque), don't think he really suits the edge where the warriors have used him mainly so could be worth a punt
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

The only players out there that spike my interest are CHN (on the cheap), Fifita or TPJ. If we seriously get Elliot....words can't explain how much of a plodder that bloke is....
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I don't think we're seriously looking at Elliott or Asiata tbh, at least not as a replacement for Bateman. Feels more like agents trying to create a feeling that their players are more sought after than they really are particularly now we've declared that we're in the market. Just another case of agents trying to use us as a bargaining tool as we've seen in the past. If it turns out that we really are looking at one of the two, I'm sure it wouldn't be on the basis of expecting them to fill a starting position. Our club has been much better with recruitment in recent years... people can say what they want about us signing Scott for Leilua but on paper it was much better than Elliott or Asiata to cover Bateman. I just can't see it.
SeeBee101
David Grant

Post by SeeBee101 »

Who is the next best 2nd rower in England? Maybe we could poach the next best thing in the SL???
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

SeeBee101 wrote: July 2, 2020, 11:08 am Who is the next best 2nd rower in England? Maybe we could poach the next best thing in the SL???
Youd think batemans ruined any chance of a transfer fee
Dont delete this GE
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

Asiata to Titans

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Raiders_Pat wrote: July 2, 2020, 10:49 am I don't think we're seriously looking at Elliott or Asiata tbh, at least not as a replacement for Bateman. Feels more like agents trying to create a feeling that their players are more sought after than they really are particularly now we've declared that we're in the market. Just another case of agents trying to use us as a bargaining tool as we've seen in the past. If it turns out that we really are looking at one of the two, I'm sure it wouldn't be on the basis of expecting them to fill a starting position. Our club has been much better with recruitment in recent years... people can say what they want about us signing Scott for Leilua but on paper it was much better than Elliott or Asiata to cover Bateman. I just can't see it.
Our good recruitment is mostly based on talent spotting of lower profile players and getting the best out of them. I don't think either signing would be inconsistent with that approach.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

edwahu wrote: July 2, 2020, 12:04 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote: July 2, 2020, 10:49 am I don't think we're seriously looking at Elliott or Asiata tbh, at least not as a replacement for Bateman. Feels more like agents trying to create a feeling that their players are more sought after than they really are particularly now we've declared that we're in the market. Just another case of agents trying to use us as a bargaining tool as we've seen in the past. If it turns out that we really are looking at one of the two, I'm sure it wouldn't be on the basis of expecting them to fill a starting position. Our club has been much better with recruitment in recent years... people can say what they want about us signing Scott for Leilua but on paper it was much better than Elliott or Asiata to cover Bateman. I just can't see it.
Our good recruitment is mostly based on talent spotting of lower profile players and getting the best out of them. I don't think either signing would be inconsistent with that approach.
Which is why I suggested that signing Asiata or Elliott would purely be to boost our bench/backups rather than as a replacement for Bateman. Getting the most out either of those two would mean that you would want them to fill an interchange role to the best of their ability... you could be the greatest coach of all time but you aren't getting either to consistently show out at starting 13 quality at a club contending for the premiership.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Yeah I think if either were true it would be a sign that Ricky is backing Young for right edge but we need a backup in case of injury/suspension/he suddenly tanks form.

Then you'd hope we're still in the market for a middle to round out or stocks with Sia slowing down, Lui out of favour and our general lack of yards/offloads compounded by losing Horse and Papa being the sole focus.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

SeeBee101 wrote: July 2, 2020, 11:08 am Who is the next best 2nd rower in England? Maybe we could poach the next best thing in the SL???
I hear it's young Harry Rushton ;)
SeeBee101
David Grant

Post by SeeBee101 »

BadnMean wrote: July 2, 2020, 12:19 pm
I hear it's young Harry Rushton ;)
We can only hope....haha
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Of the players off contract (who I consider more under the radar) I like Hipgrave as a busy middle or Ese'ese as a more conventional middle to play with Papalii.
Lachlan Burr from the Warriors is also handy IMO.

I also like Dunn from the Cowboys as a backrower / edge or Faitala-Mariner from the dogs.

Herbie Farnworth from the Broncos has talent...but I don't see us chasing any backs.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

I’m going outside the box and thinking Brad Takairangi. Bigger than both our current second rowers, better ball skills, good lateral movement and has spent the bulk of his career defending an edge. Maybe losing a bit of pace for centre. Lots of games under his belt. And off contract this year without a full time role in the Parra 17. Good utility value as well.

Let him and Hudson battle it out, or rotate the 80.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Coastalraider wrote:I’m going outside the box and thinking Brad Takairangi. Bigger than both our current second rowers, better ball skills, good lateral movement and has spent the bulk of his career defending an edge. Maybe losing a bit of pace for centre. Lots of games under his belt. And off contract this year without a full time role in the Parra 17. Good utility value as well.

Let him and Hudson battle it out, or rotate the 80.
I've always liked him

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

It sure won’t be Adam Elliot!!!!!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bulldogs star Adam Elliott being investigated by NRL Integrity Unit after video emerges: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... b6703f24b3

Next...
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

Josh Kerr???

Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

Jacob Saifiti

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

GreenMachine wrote: July 2, 2020, 3:53 pm Of the players off contract (who I consider more under the radar) I like Hipgrave as a busy middle or Ese'ese as a more conventional middle to play with Papalii.

I also like Dunn from the Cowboys as a backrower / edge or Faitala-Mariner from the dogs.

Herbie Farnworth from the Broncos has talent...but I don't see us chasing any backs.
Mitch Dunn looks a likely type. Yet to see him have much impact though. Maybe just finding his feet at NRL level so could see him improve a lot.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Northern Raider wrote: July 2, 2020, 6:27 pm
GreenMachine wrote: July 2, 2020, 3:53 pm Of the players off contract (who I consider more under the radar) I like Hipgrave as a busy middle or Ese'ese as a more conventional middle to play with Papalii.

Mitch Dunn looks a likely type. Yet to see him have much impact though. Maybe just finding his feet at NRL level so could see him improve a lot.
He's certainly young, I think he has potential.
Taller edge players can cause you problems with these new rules...especially if they develop an offload.
Being a former five eighth means he should have a pass on him..
I wouldn't mind Proctor for that reason, I just wouldn't pay the price for him and would rather a younger player.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Dusty wrote: July 2, 2020, 6:26 pm Jacob Saifiti

Couldn't like this post enough tbh.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Raiders player signing speculation 2020

Post by Dusty »

julian87 wrote:
Dusty wrote: July 2, 2020, 6:26 pm Jacob Saifiti

Couldn't like this post enough tbh.
He’s in very good form. Growing up and through the grades he was arguably the better player of the two (He and Daniel).

I think a year or two where N. Brown tried to make him an edge player stunted his development a little. He’s ripe and ready in my opinion.

Last edited by Dusty on July 2, 2020, 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Going to seem like a wanker here but deadset one successful season has really clouded plenty of judgement here. Just because we had Bateman on a good deal and he's world class doesn't mean we can keep replicating that. Besides Leilua and Tapine the club still hasn't picked up any genuinely gun local players on good deals. If the club has 600k or so it doesn't get the pick of the litter.

Finucane for example is a current Origin player and his Melbourne career would have any contract away from Melbourne being very inflated IMO.

I actually think Elliott for a good deal could be a good buy for the club.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.