Raiders player signing speculation 2020

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2020

Post by casta66 »

With Koroibete, I noticed Johnny Lomaxs son is playing for the All Blacks! Maybe he can put in a good word. Or come to Canberra too 😁
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

greeneyed wrote: October 31, 2020, 9:29 pm
afgtnk wrote: October 31, 2020, 9:07 pm
Raidersteve wrote: October 29, 2020, 9:01 pm
greeneyed wrote: October 29, 2020, 8:22 pm
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: October 29, 2020, 8:17 pm
We had a crack at signing him before didn’t we?
Wouldn’t touch him with a 100 foot barge pole as a result. You don’t get a chance to disrespect our club twice.
Exactly my thoughts. He jumped on the bandwagon and back-flipped on the club when things weren't looking good for the club. No way he gets to join the club now that the Raiders are a powerhouse.
Vindictive and vengeful behaviour won't get us anywhere - nor is it the hallmark of a good club. Reality is that quality players want to go to the most attractive clubs with great prospects, and at the time we were ugly no-hopers. It was the reason then and a valid one, but not the reason now.

That shouldn't be anything to hold personally against Mansour - that's just the game. The situation has now changed - ihe's a target worth going for ability and monetary wise, we should absolutely pursue it.
There is no vindictiveness or vengefulness involved. The bottom line is, this player has shown, that they are not prepared to buy in to the culture of the Canberra Raiders. He's shown his true self. You don't want players at your club who disrespect the club in the way he did. You simply don't want people like that in your organisation.
Maybe I'm missing some of the events that happened at the time, but I don't recall it being too much of a drama. You're looking too much into this, IMO.

He got a better offer and rejected us. It happens to clubs all the time, but they don't cut off their nose to spite their face, and neither should we. I'm not saying let's sign Mansour right now, but to rule a player out for that reason is just plain dumb.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

afgtnk wrote: October 31, 2020, 10:52 pm
greeneyed wrote: October 31, 2020, 9:29 pm

Wouldn’t touch him with a 100 foot barge pole as a result. You don’t get a chance to disrespect our club twice.
Exactly my thoughts. He jumped on the bandwagon and back-flipped on the club when things weren't looking good for the club. No way he gets to join the club now that the Raiders are a powerhouse.
Vindictive and vengeful behaviour won't get us anywhere - nor is it the hallmark of a good club. Reality is that quality players want to go to the most attractive clubs with great prospects, and at the time we were ugly no-hopers. It was the reason then and a valid one, but not the reason now.

That shouldn't be anything to hold personally against Mansour - that's just the game. The situation has now changed - ihe's a target worth going for ability and monetary wise, we should absolutely pursue it.
There is no vindictiveness or vengefulness involved. The bottom line is, this player has shown, that they are not prepared to buy in to the culture of the Canberra Raiders. He's shown his true self. You don't want players at your club who disrespect the club in the way he did. You simply don't want people like that in your organisation.
Maybe I'm missing some of the events that happened at the time, but I don't recall it being too much of a drama. You're looking too much into this, IMO.

He got a better offer and rejected us. It happens to clubs all the time, but they don't cut off their nose to spite their face, and neither should we. I'm not saying let's sign Mansour right now, but to rule a player out for that reason is just plain dumb.
I’m sorry, but I don’t regard my well thought through views as plain dumb. You might want to treat me as stupid, but I’m not stupid.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Maybe petty was a better word...... because that's exactly what it'd be if we made our recruitment decisions like that.

The club doesn't and won't make decisions on that basis, so that's enough for me.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

afgtnk wrote: October 31, 2020, 11:31 pm Maybe petty was a better word...... because that's exactly what it'd be if we made our recruitment decisions like that.

The club doesn't and won't make decisions on that basis, so that's enough for me.
It doesn’t surprise me you’d resort to insults either. Not interested in insults or name calling.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

greeneyed wrote: October 31, 2020, 11:41 pm
afgtnk wrote: October 31, 2020, 11:31 pm Maybe petty was a better word...... because that's exactly what it'd be if we made our recruitment decisions like that.

It doesn’t surprise me you’d resort to insults either. Not interested in insults or name calling.
He was interviewed about that U turn to join us...
Said he never wanted to leave Penrith and accepted a significantly lower offer from Penrith to stay, even though Gould was telling him to take the Raiders money as it was ‘life changing’ for him..
I thought the significant part of the interview was when he suggested that he kind of gave Tedesco a ‘wink’ about his intentions to join us, almost implied that he knew he wasn’t joining and this spooked Teddy at the last minute to renege on the deal he signed with us...
Personally I don’t think he is what we need.

Too short and not awfully quick...Plus he’s aged...
It’s just a midget version of Cotric...only older...whereas we just should have kept Nic... the reports are we were not miles apart on money...it was more Ricky giving the boot to his manager...

For me, outside backs are where you want to stay fast, young, explosive and unpredictable. It takes pressure off the halves to always have to create.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

Corey Allan might be worth investigating.
Showed some good form for the rabbits
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: October 29, 2020, 8:17 pm We had a crack at signing him before didn’t we?

Agreed. Clubs make decisions on this basis all the time. They do the meet and greet to determine the players character.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

greeneyed wrote: October 31, 2020, 11:41 pm

I'm sorry, but that's hardly being insulting or name calling. I'm not sure why you're insisting on making this personal when it isn't.

I'm critiquing a general opinion that's shared by a few of you, not just you.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Anyone who thinks Cotric left us because we were just $25k short of what he and his manager were after needs some more experience in contract negotiations and a deeper understanding around management spin and the longer term impacts of not holding your ground on a set dollar limit.

GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

BJ wrote: November 1, 2020, 9:11 am Anyone who thinks Cotric left us because we were just $25k short of what he and his manager were after needs some more experience in contract negotiations and a deeper understanding around management spin and the longer term impacts of not holding your ground on a set dollar limit.
At the end of the day, whether you agreed or liked how the negotiations went down, the fact is Nic would have stayed a Raider for a little more than our original offer.
It doesn’t take an expert in contract negotiations to figure out that Ricky had just about enough of player managers at the time this went down and drew the line with a ‘take it or leave it offer’.

Do I agree with Ricky? Yes.
Will we regret this decision? Only time will tell.
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

Souths release Corey Allan, this guy is talent, hope Raiders take bite at this.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Hmm we've already signed Aekins though.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

GreenMachine wrote:
BJ wrote: November 1, 2020, 9:11 am Anyone who thinks Cotric left us because we were just $25k short of what he and his manager were after needs some more experience in contract negotiations and a deeper understanding around management spin and the longer term impacts of not holding your ground on a set dollar limit.
At the end of the day, whether you agreed or liked how the negotiations went down, the fact is Nic would have stayed a Raider for a little more than our original offer.
It doesn’t take an expert in contract negotiations to figure out that Ricky had just about enough of player managers at the time this went down and drew the line with a ‘take it or leave it offer’.

Doesn’t sound like you do get BJ’s point at all.

If you show that you’ll fold for the extra 25k, get ready to pay 28x25k across your team. You just surrendered 700k of your cap.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Crusader wrote: November 1, 2020, 10:05 am Souths release Corey Allan, this guy is talent, hope Raiders take bite at this.
He would be perfect. Great young talent - ball playing fullback so would help our attack enormously. You could move CNK to either wing or centre and he would be brilliant there as well.

You would move on Curtis Scott in that case.

The best backline would then look like in my opinion:

1. Allan
2. HSS
3. Croker
4. Timoko
5. Rapana/Simonnson/Valemei
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

gangrenous wrote: November 1, 2020, 10:22 am
GreenMachine wrote:

Doesn’t sound like you do get BJ’s point at all.

If you show that you’ll fold for the extra 25k, get ready to pay 28x25k across your team. You just surrendered 700k of your cap.
No, I do get it.
The concept is fine, until you start letting go of players you can’t replace.
That is to be determined, as I mentioned above...
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Cotric isn’t anywhere close to a player you can’t replace imo.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

gangrenous wrote: November 1, 2020, 11:54 am Cotric isn’t anywhere close to a player you can’t replace imo.
Yeah, it’s not about replacing Cotric specifically.

It’s about finding a representative level quality replacement to fill in our depleted backline, which by everyone’s standards, was well below par in 2020.

We either need to hope Timoko or HSS step up or we’re in a hole, made worse by Crokers injury now...

While I agreed with letting JB go, we should have tried to keep Cotric given how crap the rest of the back five looked, aside from possibly CNK. Our back 5 needed regeneration with Cotric in it...now it needs a rebuild.

How many years do you think GW and JW plus our elite forward pack are willing to hang around for that rebuild?

If you think they will hang around with dross in the backline, topping out for a 5 place finish each season, don’t feel aggrieved when the Roosters come poaching and blame it on more money.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I don’t think it’s as difficult to rejuvenate the wings/centres. Good positions to bring in young cheap kids. Reckon it’ll be ok.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

gangrenous wrote: November 1, 2020, 12:48 pm I don’t think it’s as difficult to rejuvenate the wings/centres. Good positions to bring in young cheap kids. Reckon it’ll be ok.
I hope you are right.
I’m counting down the days before the Roosters come poaching one of our halves ...and it took us 30 years to find proper halves..
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

GreenMachine wrote: November 1, 2020, 12:53 pm
gangrenous wrote: November 1, 2020, 12:48 pm I don’t think it’s as difficult to rejuvenate the wings/centres. Good positions to bring in young cheap kids. Reckon it’ll be ok.
I hope you are right.
I’m counting down the days before the Roosters come poaching one of our halves ...and it took us 30 years to find proper halves..
I agree that our backline needs a reboot but they are the easiest thing to replace. I think Corey Allan would be ideal for that reason - he is the type of bloke we should target - young and looking for an opportunity.

Take for example the contrast between say Penrith and Melbourne versus Parramatta. If you break it down, Parramatta would have spent a lot more on their centres, wingers and fullback than both of the clubs in the grand final; yet they didn’t win and probably win until they get a better 6, 7 and 9.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The idea that we shouldn’t sign a guy because he’s previously turned the club down is so incredibly childish. I’d be very alarmed if the club operated in matter.

If the decision makers are unable to move past the business side of this game on that level, they aren’t fit to be making decisions on what is best for the football team.
This wasn’t a guy who disgraced the club or tarnished its reputation, or even spoke poorly of the club
He signed, along with others to help rebuild the club, they pulled out and the situation changed for a guy in his prime, and he stayed at his local club

If you’re petty about that, you need to grow up
I high doubt Ricky Stuart operates on that level. I wouldn’t sign Mansour and I don’t think Stuart will either, because I think he’s past his best and we need to get young and faster, he doesn’t fit the bill there
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne

Post by Belcher#1 »

Corey Allen had some good games at the end of the season in the comps most dynamic attack. Prior to that he looked like a career nsw cup player.
The guy is a liability under the high ball and is a poor defender. It's crazy that anyone would want to play him at fullback ahead of CNK.

Plus we've already signed Aitkens who isn't much different and would be a hell of a lot cheaper.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:The idea that we shouldn’t sign a guy because he’s previously turned the club down is so incredibly childish. I’d be very alarmed if the club operated in matter.

If the decision makers are unable to move past the business side of this game on that level, they aren’t fit to be making decisions on what is best for the football team.
This wasn’t a guy who disgraced the club or tarnished its reputation, or even spoke poorly of the club
He signed, along with others to help rebuild the club, they pulled out and the situation changed for a guy in his prime, and he stayed at his local club

If you’re petty about that, you need to grow up
I high doubt Ricky Stuart operates on that level. I wouldn’t sign Mansour and I don’t think Stuart will either, because I think he’s past his best and we need to get young and faster, he doesn’t fit the bill there
I wouldn't label it as childish but I think a coach like Stuart (Bellamy/Robo also) would just think that this bloke didn't want to be a part of building a better culture and a better team, and now we have that here - why would I bring him in now. The blokes that opted in 5 years ago are the ones that have bought in and done the hard work. Mansour didn't want to be a part of that.

I do agree with your comments that he isn't really what we need right now.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Blues87
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by Blues87 »

I'd take a chance at James Roberts if we could get him cheap
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We’re not signing any cast offs from other clubs now. There’s only one spot left, two if Rushton doesn’t come in 2021. The last spot likely goes to one of our own fringe players. They’ve just signed Aekins, they’re not going to sign Corey Allan, Josh Mansour (thankfully), James Roberts or anyone with a “name”. The Raiders aren’t a club that has to sign cast offs any more. In any case, there’s no money left.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Not even if he were free.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

There's a reason he's been binned by 2 clubs...

Well 3 if you count being binned by Souths twice

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

I’d throw an offer at Xavier Coates... he has so much upside in the modern game...

At the very least, you force the Broncos to overpay for him and potentially leave them vulnerable to losing Staggs.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

greeneyed wrote: November 1, 2020, 5:18 pm We’re not signing any cast offs from other clubs now. There’s only one spot left, two if Rushton doesn’t come in 2021. The last spot likely goes to one of our own fringe players. They’ve just signed Aekins, they’re not going to sign Corey Allan, Josh Mansour (thankfully) or anyone with a “name”. The Raiders aren’t a club that has to sign cast offs any more. In any case, there’s no money left.
I’m not saying the Raiders will but I’m saying they should sign Allan.

The whole cast off thing doesn’t make sense either, we signed Caleb Aekins from the Panthers and Ryan James who were cast offs. We aren’t a club like the Roosters who are going to buy superstars, we are more a club like Melbourne who buy cast offs, players on the cheap and young or fringe players looking for an opportunity
Get back the Ten
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: John Bateman

Post by Get back the Ten »

Josh Mansour is on the market he could replace Cotric !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

GreenMachine wrote: November 1, 2020, 5:30 pm I’d throw an offer at Xavier Coates... he has so much upside in the modern game...

At the very least, you force the Broncos to overpay for him and potentially leave them vulnerable to losing Staggs.
Pretty sure Bronx have already done that an locked him up - RE Coates.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Colk wrote: November 1, 2020, 5:35 pm
greeneyed wrote: November 1, 2020, 5:18 pm We’re not signing any cast offs from other clubs now. There’s only one spot left, two if Rushton doesn’t come in 2021. The last spot likely goes to one of our own fringe players. They’ve just signed Aekins, they’re not going to sign Corey Allan, Josh Mansour (thankfully) or anyone with a “name”. The Raiders aren’t a club that has to sign cast offs any more. In any case, there’s no money left.
I’m not saying the Raiders will but I’m saying they should sign Allan.

The whole cast off thing doesn’t make sense either, we signed Caleb Aekins from the Panthers and Ryan James who were cast offs. We aren’t a club like the Roosters who are going to buy superstars, we are more a club like Melbourne who buy cast offs, players on the cheap and young or fringe players looking for an opportunity
Aekins is one of the best backup FB options in the comp. Ill repeat backup, coz I think that's what we signed him as. However, as he proved this yr, if need be, he is a serviceable starter. Panthers got rid of him because they have a million backs/ halves they have to keep - To'o, Edwards, Crichton, Staines, May, Burton (though I can see Dogs money being too good) and there are a couple more coming through. Naden looks like he is gone too, and he played 18 games for them this yr. Sauce might need to go, but i suspect they give him another cheap deal.

Allan, he is another of Bennett's boys. He is no better or worse than Aekins IMO. A very good backup FB. Dont let his QLD Origin selection fool you, coz he only got a run due to Ponga and Val being injured.

Ryan James isnt a cast off either. Titans were just sick of an injured player who was paid Origin level money. Thats a business move. For us, its a punt with zero risk. He is getting a tick over min wage, but with Origin level performance upside, in a team that is stacked with middles. We can lose on this deal, but we can certainly win.

As for anyone looking at Jimmy the Jet... He was a Bennett boy, and Bennett doesnt want him anymore. That speaks volumes from a guy who says very very little.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: November 1, 2020, 5:18 pm Not even if he were free.
I concur
A hard and fast pass on Roberts
If people have issues with Croker’s defence, wait till they get a load of this guy

All he’s got his speed. Which in fairness, if you’re going to be a one trick pony, that’s the trick to have. But he sucks
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Agreed.

No need to be so sensitive about it.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.