Raiders player signing speculation 2020

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2020

Post by BadnMean »

We are paying Scott the next 3 seasons regardless, so I'd say punting on misbehaving centres until that's cleared up will not be a wise choice.
Colk
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

Fair enough. I’d still prefer Naden in any case
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Naden will be pissed at his coaches choice.. he might be easily swayed to jump ship if we had the coin
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I’m pretty confident Timoko and HSS will be better players than Naden. In the short term too probably.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Naden's a very ordinary defender, which is one of the reasons why he left the club in the first place and was obviously why Cleary dropped him for the big games (odd decision to leave it until then though).

I can't see Stuart looking in his direction.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 27, 2020, 11:01 am Naden's a very ordinary defender, which is one of the reasons why he left the club in the first place and was obviously why Cleary dropped him for the big games (odd decision to leave it until then though).

I have a feeling we are using what we have for the centre and wing positions, with the exception that I think Ricky brought Atkin in to possibly spell CNK for certain games or maybe even use CNK in the centres...
I will still maintain that while I like Ryan James, it wasn't a necessary signing.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

GreenMachine wrote: October 27, 2020, 4:19 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: October 27, 2020, 11:01 am Naden's a very ordinary defender, which is one of the reasons why he left the club in the first place and was obviously why Cleary dropped him for the big games (odd decision to leave it until then though).

I have a feeling we are using what we have for the centre and wing positions, with the exception that I think Ricky brought Atkin in to possibly spell CNK for certain games or maybe even use CNK in the centres...
I will still maintain that while I like Ryan James, it wasn't a necessary signing.
Yeah, we have a few options which the coaching staff will obviously want to properly test. I also think they will always be on the lookout to upgrade players in all positions.

Scott will need to step up big time next season, but from what we've read it really seems like his head wasn't in it last year. Valemei has a few games behind him too, so there is every chance he will improve.

I'm not that stressed about it, but I do think the club is entirely aware of where our weaknesses are.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I don't think we could capitalise on Tyrone May defending in the centres (or Naden) in the same situation with our current backline. Staggs is off contract in 2021, we should go for him. Staines and Crichton will stay at Penrith. Penrith will get rid of Josh Oldman-sour. Let Barrett and Canterbury sign all the average players and overpay.

Ryan James could be hit and miss. Hope he is injury free. With Scott, he has no pace. With Croker and Rapana, the deterioration is there for all to see. Age catches up on you
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Mansour was great for Panthers this season. 181m per game and 21 line breaks from a winger- yes please.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

Everyone is going to go for staggs. He's a beast in attack and fixable in defence (probably)
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Pete Cash wrote: October 28, 2020, 3:28 pm Everyone is going to go for staggs. He's a beast in attack and fixable in defence (probably)
His defensive stats are weird this yr. Great tackle efficiency, very few missed tackles. BUT... this yr, when he missed, teams scored tries. TBF, in a wooden spoon team, thats expected. So, im not worried about him defensively.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Matt wrote: October 28, 2020, 3:39 pm
Pete Cash wrote: October 28, 2020, 3:28 pm Everyone is going to go for staggs. He's a beast in attack and fixable in defence (probably)
His defensive stats are weird this yr. Great tackle efficiency, very few missed tackles. BUT... this yr, when he missed, teams scored tries. TBF, in a wooden spoon team, thats expected. So, im not worried about him defensively.
Darius had very high tackle efficiency stats at centre as well. Can't miss tackles when you're standing there taking nobody.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

That's ALL centres, Matty.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

The Nickman wrote: October 28, 2020, 4:26 pm
Exactly.
Joseph Manu gets embarrassed at centre from time to time, but you'd sign him in a heart beat.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Bj leilua training at the gym with whitehead, havili and oldfield
Dont delete this GE
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

simo wrote: October 28, 2020, 6:13 pm Bj leilua training at the gym with whitehead, havili and oldfield
He moved his wife and kids back to Canberra mid season actually- they didn't like Sydney lockdown life or Sydney itself, something like that. It caused a minor rumour ripple at the time.

Funnily enough a mate of mine ran into some Raiders exec at about that time and asked if Joey may be coming back. They laughed at him and said no chance.

He'd still be good mates with Rapa I guess and back in town to see the family? I wouldn't read much into it...
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: October 28, 2020, 4:19 pm
Darius had very high tackle efficiency stats at centre as well. Can't miss tackles when you're standing there taking nobody.
Let's be honest... there is a big difference between Staggs and Darius, but I do understand where u r coming from
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

The Nickman wrote: October 28, 2020, 4:26 pm
I know where that comment is coming from, but its actually not. U can miss tackles in different areas of the ground.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Not sure he is what we need but Josh Mansour is rumoured to be let go by Penrith this Off Season so they can promote Charlie Staines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Matt wrote: October 28, 2020, 7:54 pm
Northern Raider wrote: October 28, 2020, 4:19 pm
Let's be honest... there is a big difference between Staggs and Darius, but I do understand where u r coming from
Yes very different to Darius. Staggs was trying.
That wasn't his problem though. Reads are awful. He gets lost all the time. Avoided scrutiny in that department because of his sensational attack.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Brew wrote: October 29, 2020, 7:32 pm Not sure he is what we need but Josh Mansour is rumoured to be let go by Penrith this Off Season so they can promote Charlie Staines.

I'd take him in a heartbeat. He makes a lot of breaks, finishes tries like a pro, gets through huge yards every single week, very consistent now he's back from that face fracture. He'd be a like for like with Cotric. Depends if he wants 500k or 400k. He's well worth the latter.

On form there shouldn't be a single winger in the club who has a lock on their spot. Realistically Rapana has been resigned so he'll play on one wing and I doubt the club is looking- one of Simo or Semi will be the other.

In my ideal off season trades though, we move Scott on for a fresh start, promote Timoko to centre for some fresh energy, with Rapa alongside him on the right wing. Croker and a newly signed Mansauce outside him on the left wing looks a much better back 5. Simo, Semi and HSS lurking as serious FG prospects if anyone doesn't shape up.

I think Raiders have made big money offers to Mansour before though and he wouldn't come.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

If this season has a lesson for centres it's that it doesn't matter that you're all terrible defenders. Just give us some highlights.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

zim wrote: October 29, 2020, 8:03 pm If this season has a lesson for centres it's that it doesn't matter that you're all terrible defenders. Just give us some highlights.
If you’re a NSW centre, don’t even bother coming. You don’t get picked.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Brew wrote:Not sure he is what we need but Josh Mansour is rumoured to be let go by Penrith this Off Season so they can promote Charlie Staines.

We had a crack at signing him before didn’t we?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: October 29, 2020, 8:17 pm
Brew wrote:Not sure he is what we need but Josh Mansour is rumoured to be let go by Penrith this Off Season so they can promote Charlie Staines.

Wouldn’t touch him with a 100 foot barge pole as a result. You don’t get a chance to disrespect our club twice.
Raidersteve
Noa Nadruku

Post by Raidersteve »

greeneyed wrote: October 29, 2020, 8:22 pm

Wouldn’t touch him with a 100 foot barge pole as a result. You don’t get a chance to disrespect our club twice.
Exactly my thoughts. He jumped on the bandwagon and back-flipped on the club when things weren't looking good for the club. No way he gets to join the club now that the Raiders are a powerhouse.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Raidersteve wrote: October 29, 2020, 9:01 pm

Exactly my thoughts. He jumped on the bandwagon and back-flipped on the club when things weren't looking good for the club. No way he gets to join the club now that the Raiders are a powerhouse.
Agree with both of you.
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

Yep from memory he did the grand tour of Raiders HW, arm in arm with Tedesco.
All to bump up their market value.
Gorilla
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Gorilla »

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 62d6125619

Jordan Rapana has signed a new two-year deal at the Raiders, while forward utility Siliva Havili has taken up an option in his favour, according to The Canberra Times. Versatile outside back Michael Oldfield is also likely to leave the nation’s capital. Centre Seb Kris is returning to the club after a year off and English forward Harry Rushton has been granted a visa.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

I wonder if Marika Koroibete wants to escape the **** that is the Wallabies and the ARU...?
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Leebola wrote:I wonder if Marika Koroibete wants to escape the **** that is the Wallabies and the ARU...?
Yeah I mentioned this mid season. I wonder if he is keen to come back to the NRL. Strong hard runner and has a bit of pace.

In Ricky We Trust
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Vindictive and vengeful behaviour won't get us anywhere - nor is it the hallmark of a good club. Reality is that quality players want to go to the most attractive clubs with great prospects, and at the time we were ugly no-hopers. It was the reason then and a valid one, but not the reason now.

That shouldn't be anything to hold personally against Mansour - that's just the game. The situation has now changed - ihe's a target worth going for ability and monetary wise, we should absolutely pursue it.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Even then he's probably on massive overs at Penrith, and the club's made it clear it's not paying overs for anyone anymore

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Mansour ain’t coming here for under $450-500k. Let another Sydney club pay him the kind of money he could demand.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

afgtnk wrote: October 31, 2020, 9:07 pm

Vindictive and vengeful behaviour won't get us anywhere - nor is it the hallmark of a good club. Reality is that quality players want to go to the most attractive clubs with great prospects, and at the time we were ugly no-hopers. It was the reason then and a valid one, but not the reason now.

That shouldn't be anything to hold personally against Mansour - that's just the game. The situation has now changed - ihe's a target worth going for ability and monetary wise, we should absolutely pursue it.
There is no vindictiveness or vengefulness involved. The bottom line is, this player has shown, that they are not prepared to buy in to the culture of the Canberra Raiders. He's shown his true self. You don't want players at your club who disrespect the club in the way he did. You simply don't want people like that in your organisation.