Raiders player signing speculation 2020

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

FROG
Brett Mullins

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2020

Post by FROG »

I think thats very harsh on Mary. He took his side to 1 win shy of the minor premiership and then jdb happened and its destroyed that club. I understand there was a game against the knights that the dragons players were going to boycott because of how the game was treating him. These are young men who a taught to bleed for each other. Imagine turning up to training day in day out being confronted with that situation. Im not saying Mary couldnt have done more, i just think people underestimate what that kind of disruption has on a side. I also think it's no coincidence that our best period on the field for 20 years has followed a prolonged period of stability off it.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

FROG wrote: September 22, 2020, 5:39 am I think thats very harsh on Mary. He took his side to 1 win shy of the minor premiership and then jdb happened and its destroyed that club. I understand there was a game against the knights that the dragons players were going to boycott because of how the game was treating him. These are young men who a taught to bleed for each other. Imagine turning up to training day in day out being confronted with that situation. Im not saying Mary couldnt have done more, i just think people underestimate what that kind of disruption has on a side. I also think it's no coincidence that our best period on the field for 20 years has followed a prolonged period of stability off it.
No doubt it would have been disruptive.

But folding like a deck of cards at the first hint of adversity and then allowing a terrible situation to fester and fail to regroup the squad is very much in the coaches responsibilities. So there are reasons he's had such a challenging time, absolutely- but he hasn't managed to meet the challenges.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

2 wins shy from 7th. Their F/A was less than a third of the team that got the MP.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I don't know too much about McGregor's coaching style or methods, but his biggest issue seems to have been inking both Ben Hunt and Corey Norman to big money deals to be the backbone of that team (although to be somewhat fair, the Eels paid a chunk of Norman's first season salary to get rid of him). The Hunt deal was clearly a desperate attempt to bring in a 'name' halfback. He was never going to live up to that type of expectation. Norman already had a reputation of being flakey and inconsistent, so no surprises how that turned out.

The rest of the team seem to have a crack most games. It's the two marquee players that don't turn up. Dean Young hasn't fixed that either.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Paul McGregor is an absolutely AWFUL coach. It's truly mid-boggling to me how he kept his job for so long.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

McGregor is probably, 'pound for pound', one of the worst coaches I've ever seen in the game. Simply horrendous and clueless.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

I'm really liking what I see from Young Tonumaipea.. Would love to see him in green
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

He fills that cheapy spot. Can play wing or centre.
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Belcher#1 »

zim wrote: September 22, 2020, 11:02 am He fills that cheapy spot. Can play wing or centre.
won't be cheap anymore. He's probably doubled his contract value the past few weeks
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

If you're doubling your contact value in a few weeks then the people signing you are idiots.
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne

Post by Belcher#1 »

zim wrote: September 22, 2020, 3:33 pm If you're doubling your contact value in a few weeks then the people signing you are idiots.
from minimum wage to 200-$300k is understandable. He looked pretty ordinary until this month
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Ah ok you're talking just in contract to contract value rather than how a club sees a players worth. My point was if someone was a min wager to you then 3 weeks good play is not going to make them suddenly worth double to your club.
We would have viewed him as a cheapie. If he's suddenly getting 300k then good luck to him. A few weeks good play won't move the needle here.
AUSTEZER
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: John Ferguson

Post by AUSTEZER »

He just turned down a contract extension with Titans rival clubs have permission to negotiate
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

he was pretty good at the storm then went on his Mormon mission and finished the season pretty well at the titans

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Maybe I have him mixed up with someone else but I thought the Titans had actually paid overs to get him out of the Storm system?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

The Nickman wrote: September 22, 2020, 10:36 am Paul McGregor is an absolutely AWFUL coach. It's truly mid-boggling to me how he kept his job for so long.
100%.
The fact they went and employed a GF winning coach (as an "assistant") says it all.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

gergreg wrote: September 22, 2020, 6:22 pm Maybe I have him mixed up with someone else but I thought the Titans had actually paid overs to get him out of the Storm system?

nah. he went on the mormon mission, so came back cheap
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

zim wrote: September 22, 2020, 3:57 pm Ah ok you're talking just in contract to contract value rather than how a club sees a players worth. My point was if someone was a min wager to you then 3 weeks good play is not going to make them suddenly worth double to your club.
We would have viewed him as a cheapie. If he's suddenly getting 300k then good luck to him. A few weeks good play won't move the needle here.
He will get starter money from someone.
Q is, does he want to play centre or wing?
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

He's played his best footy at centre and at 28 he can probably extend the career a few more years to make up for the lower early years if he's not barging into the line on kick returns.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Raiders player signing speculation 2020

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Danny Weidler reporting Tristan Sailor has been told he’s not part of St Merge’s future

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Is he big enough to play first grade next year? I know we've got halves but could you slot him in anywhere else?
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: September 23, 2020, 7:03 pm Danny Weidler reporting Tristan Sailor has been told he’s not part of St Merge’s future

Might have potential as a half but we don’t need a half, we need centres/wingers
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

zim wrote:Is he big enough to play first grade next year? I know we've got halves but could you slot him in anywhere else?
Goes to show how much I watch him. I was thinking Centre/Wing as a possible Cotric or Rapana replacement, if Raps moves on
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

He was named in the Canterbury cup team of the year at centre last year, so clearly can play in the backs. Pretty small in stature.. doesnt strike me as a modern winger. If we lose rapana id want us to make a play for one of the warriors wingers. Their young blokes stood up on the weekend. Surely one of those blokes or the 2 others back home could be tempted with a premiership
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Adam Pompey would be a good signing. He's one of the young guys you're talking about.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

zim wrote: September 23, 2020, 8:03 pm Adam Pompey would be a good signing. He's one of the young guys you're talking about.
I like Pompey but I think he is signed for next year. Patrick Herbert looked ok so maybe he is a chance.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Colk wrote: September 23, 2020, 7:27 pm
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: September 23, 2020, 7:03 pm Danny Weidler reporting Tristan Sailor has been told he’s not part of St Merge’s future

Might have potential as a half but we don’t need a half, we need centres/wingers
He is a FB/Half.

In 62mins this yr (2 games off the bench), he has 2 try assists, 3 tackle busts, 2 offloads and 2 forced dropouts.

His competition has done this:

Norman - 18 games, 5 tries, 15 forced drop-outs, 6 try assists, 8 line break assists.

Clune - 14 games, 0 tries, 7 forced drop-outs, 5 try assists, 7 line break assists, 4 offloads

Hunt - 19 games (half at hooker), 1 try, 8 forced drop-outs, 7 try assists, 5 line break assists, 16 offloads

In 62mins he has looked head and shoulders above the 2.2million dollars of players named above.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Matt wrote: September 23, 2020, 8:49 pm

He is a FB/Half.

In 62mins this yr (2 games off the bench), he has 2 try assists, 3 tackle busts, 2 offloads and 2 forced dropouts.

Norman - 18 games, 5 tries, 15 forced drop-outs, 6 try assists, 8 line break assists.

Clune - 14 games, 0 tries, 7 forced drop-outs, 5 try assists, 7 line break assists, 4 offloads

Hunt - 19 games (half at hooker), 1 try, 8 forced drop-outs, 7 try assists, 5 line break assists, 16 offloads

In 62mins he has looked head and shoulders above the 2.2million dollars of players named above.
Their selections have been awful. He might be an option as a ball playing fullback but that would mean moving CNK to either wing or centre
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He’s only played five NRL games, one at fullback, one at half and one on the wing... both games he’s played this year off the bench. It’s a no from me... of course I’ve been wrong before, but Dragons cast off isn’t inspiring me. Would rather do some retention. Stuart isn’t giving all these young guys debuts for no reason IMO.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Matt wrote:

He is a FB/Half.

Agreed, but let's not forget Griffin is coming in. Simple gameplans, focus on defence and not much need for a creative player. He probably thinks he can get Hunt and Norman playing his style of football, probably coached them both at the Broncos.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

greeneyed wrote: September 23, 2020, 9:42 pm He’s only played five NRL games, one at fullback, one at half and one on the wing... both games he’s played this year off the bench. It’s a no from me... of course I’ve been wrong before, but Dragons cast off isn’t inspiring me. Would rather do some retention. Stuart isn’t giving all these young guys debuts for no reason IMO.
I'll probably be proven wrong but I can't help thinking that in about 3 years people will be wondering what fools passed up on Tristan Sailor. The couipole of times I've seen him I've wondered why St George were picking at least three sock puppets ahead of him.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Probably has something to do with that 3 years you're talking about and them trying to manufacture something now. Particularly with Mary trying to save his job. He'll put a lot of work into that body over 3 years.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Lui_Bon wrote: September 23, 2020, 11:06 pm
greeneyed wrote: September 23, 2020, 9:42 pm He’s only played five NRL games, one at fullback, one at half and one on the wing... both games he’s played this year off the bench. It’s a no from me... of course I’ve been wrong before, but Dragons cast off isn’t inspiring me. Would rather do some retention. Stuart isn’t giving all these young guys debuts for no reason IMO.
I'll probably be proven wrong but I can't help thinking that in about 3 years people will be wondering what fools passed up on Tristan Sailor. The couipole of times I've seen him I've wondered why St George were picking at least three sock puppets ahead of him.
100%. He looks the goods to me. I know Dragz fans who are really really angry that he didnt play AND that they are letting him go.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Matt wrote: September 24, 2020, 8:51 am
100%. He looks the goods to me. I know Dragz fans who are really really angry that he didnt play AND that they are letting him go.
Lets be objective though... when was the last time you met a happy Dragz fan?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Coastalraider wrote: September 24, 2020, 11:30 am
Matt wrote: September 24, 2020, 8:51 am
Lets be objective though... when was the last time you met a happy Dragz fan?
been a while, yes