Raiders player signing speculation 2020

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2020

Post by BadnMean »

Rick wrote: August 7, 2020, 10:57 am Big, metre eating wingers keep letting mentioned. Who is out there?

Hard pass on Fergo.
Did Ricky ever coach Fergo?

Rona would fit the bill as a large body winger/centre. But that's gone a bit quiet.
Ron78
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Ron78 »

BadnMean wrote:
Rick wrote: August 7, 2020, 10:57 am Big, metre eating wingers keep letting mentioned. Who is out there?

Hard pass on Fergo.
Did Ricky ever coach Fergo?

Rona would fit the bill as a large body winger/centre. But that's gone a bit quiet.
Yes at Cronulla. And Fergo had a get out clause if Stuart left the club. He used this to sign with the Raiders when Stuart left Cronulla

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I dont think stuart would want Fergo at the club given how his departure went down.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Botman wrote: August 7, 2020, 1:26 pm I dont think stuart would want Fergo at the club given how his departure went down.
Yeah I think Sticky and Don are probably well past the need or inclination to do that. Fergo isn't offering an awful lot that Rapana might not next season anyway in terms of experienced wingers and the "good clubman" difference is immense.

Same bracket for Vaughan.

If guys like Sutton and Lui and Young produce another high quality display vs a good team in the Pamfers I'd probably just say James and CHN are enough to freshen up the forwards department next season. They probably are anyway in fact, anything else is just icing.

I hope they are spending most of their time looking at the outside back situation. Again, they may want to have a look at how Scott goes before homing in on a winger or centre.

Valemi has been steady but not shown a whole heap. Simonsen we know is a solid FG'er but whether he'll ever be more we're not quite sure. Rapana is a stalwart but lost an edge. HSS looks promising to me. We just seem some real strike short in the back 5 without Cotric.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

From what I've seen of Rona, he's not an upgrade on what we got so far with Bailey, Semi - Rona lacks pace but is solid. Didn't cover himself in rugby glory as well.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Rona is a gun
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Kotoni Staggs only has another season left on his contract. Like to see us have a shot at him if we can shift Scott, given how badly the Broncos are going and the current fiasco he's in. Country boy as well
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Raiders666 wrote: August 7, 2020, 2:42 pm Rona is a gun
Really? Which clubs are after him? I don't even think we are
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: August 7, 2020, 3:48 pm
Not sure...But he can play
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

BadnMean wrote: August 7, 2020, 11:54 am
bonehead wrote: August 6, 2020, 9:01 pm
FROG wrote:Dont get the obsession with vaughan. Dont get me wrong, hes a good player but wont shift the dial for us and is another bloke who will cost us more than what he will deliver.. at best id have him on par with guler and horsburgh.. we are better than this lads.. talk to me about kikau or lolo and you'll have my interest. Heck id even get excited for someone like jack Hetherington.. pass on the washed up old dudes and spoilt bratts who have no regard for their team mates or fans or honoring contracts within 1 year of signing them
I've been a fan of hetherington for a couple of seasons, he's just raiders DNA

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Fans from plenty of clubs saying they want Hethero at their club next year.

We've taken our risk on James. Vaughan would just be getting in the way of Guler doing the same things he can for us.
Yeah, the signing of James has filled the role of veteran gamble.

Hetherington would be great, but clearly there are PLENTY of clubs interested in him. We'd be doing well to hold onto Guler and Hors let alone add another high profile youngster to the list. The fact is, Hetho was already on $400k with the Panthers, so he's already on the verge of a premium front row contract. There's no way we could afford him.

I think depth in the outside backs is probably our next focus...or holding onto Starling.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Not sure who is after him but he was playing excellent league when he left the Dogs and was probably the Tahs best back last season according to some I spoke to + then went ok in European rugby. Everything Rona did in league is streets ahead of anything we've seen from Bailey, Semi, HSS or Scott- not even a close comparison.

Given he's only 28 and never left any code for form/lack of clubs wanting him then I'd say he'll get a bit of interest now it is known he's looking at league again. I'd be happy if he came here. Be nice for the club to fly him over 1st class and put him up at a 5 star mansion just to show the NRL the can of worms they've opened.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 7, 2020, 4:28 pm
I think depth in the outside backs is probably our next focus...or holding onto Starling.
I really think holding onto Starling would be prudent. There is a lot of just assuming Hodgo will be good as gold after 2 knee reco's. It's a huge risk to be facing imo.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Keep Starling. He’ll improve imho.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

afgtnk wrote: August 7, 2020, 3:07 pm Kotoni Staggs only has another season left on his contract. Like to see us have a shot at him if we can shift Scott, given how badly the Broncos are going and the current fiasco he's in. Country boy as well
Kotoeni would be a great get for any team.
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah that’d be good, he shows a bit of toe for sure

Not sure we’d be interested, I think the club feels pretty good about HSS
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

We need a top shelf fullback. Cnk looks scared to take the high ball, shake up next week needed...
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Neeeegz wrote:We need a top shelf fullback. Cnk looks scared to take the high ball, shake up next week needed...
This aged well haha

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Brew wrote: August 8, 2020, 9:37 pm
Neeeegz wrote:We need a top shelf fullback. Cnk looks scared to take the high ball, shake up next week needed...
This aged well haha

Yeah, he finally grew some balls in the second half... game was shot by then
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

I will still say he was a **** fullback. If he wants to play like a centre play him there.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Rick wrote:I will still say he was a **** fullback. If he wants to play like a centre play him there.

I’d say he was a fine and classic fullback defensively. Scored two tries in attack. Maybe you just need to care less about how it’s done? Image

No one else scored tries playing like any other position.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Rick wrote: August 8, 2020, 9:49 pm I will still say he was a **** fullback. If he wants to play like a centre play him there.

Agree, maybe not a **** fullback but one with a glaring weakness.... I had him MoM but still has a 2 out of 10 passing game

Then again Panthers had a nobody fullback and didn't make a difference... their 6/7/9 are on another planet atm though
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

I am a CNK fan but he has not performed where he should have this year. Last year we brought him for peanuts he played well so we upgraded him. This year he has performed like he should be payed peanuts. As a club this should be revisited.

People bag out Scott but unfortunately CNK appears to have a lower ceiling.

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Kotoni Staggs wants out?

The Brisbane Broncos are about to be rocked by news that another of their boom players wants out. Centre Kotoni Staggs is under contract until the end of next season but can negotiate and sign with rival clubs from November.

The fact he wants to look elsewhere puts more pressure on struggling coach Anthony Seibold. Staggs’ situation is similar to Fifita, whose negotiations with the Titans were stalled by a dispute with his manager. There’s talk Staggs wants to find a new agent as well.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... c04e98079e

Let's go for him. Move on the current number 4 to create salary cap space
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Rick wrote:I am a CNK fan but he has not performed where he should have this year. Last year we brought him for peanuts he played well so we upgraded him. This year he has performed like he should be payed peanuts. As a club this should be revisited.

That is just utter nonsense. CNK has been a strong positive contributor in many of the games this year.

Scott gets pats on the back when he doesn’t **** it up completely.

Night and day.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Rick wrote: August 9, 2020, 12:32 am I am a CNK fan but he has not performed where he should have this year. Last year we brought him for peanuts he played well so we upgraded him. This year he has performed like he should be payed peanuts. As a club this should be revisited.

I'll give him another shot since he came back early from a bung finger. But he's been poor on the high ball for quite a while now. Given that he is a defensive oriented FB, he needs to be rock solid on those most weeks. Lately he's been missing 1-2 every game. I've defended him on that previously as an aberration but it's become the norm.

If he improves that back to his previous levels, he's good value at 450/500k as a Tier 2 FB- that's about what a 2nd rank FB should be on and that is about where he is at.

Again I'll give him a break on it for the sore finger but he needs to move the ball along on backline plays. Count the number of times the play dies with CNK sticky fingers on a backline move. It's every time he touches it. He carried guys over the line vs Panthers- heroically- but it's not a sustainable way to run plays.

I don't see why CNK wouldn't be able to get back to being good on bombs- if he does that, great he can play FB, he won't be an issue. Then if he can improve his passing too, he'll be an excellent FB.

Depending on what becomes available I'd be targetting a quality winger/centre/FB. We have plenty there to work with, in a number of combinations but we'll need more quality in there.

Rapana isn't going to be 2016 ever again. CNK will be a solid FB, a solid winger or a solid centre imo. But we need a bit of spark back there somewhere in the back 3 next year. It won't be Cotric so we need to recruit.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: August 9, 2020, 4:59 am Kotoni Staggs wants out?

The Brisbane Broncos are about to be rocked by news that another of their boom players wants out. Centre Kotoni Staggs is under contract until the end of next season but can negotiate and sign with rival clubs from November.

The fact he wants to look elsewhere puts more pressure on struggling coach Anthony Seibold. Staggs’ situation is similar to Fifita, whose negotiations with the Titans were stalled by a dispute with his manager. There’s talk Staggs wants to find a new agent as well.

Although centres are currently the paupers of the game, I want to see this done. He is a game breaker.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

afgtnk wrote: August 9, 2020, 11:49 am
Hong Kong Raider wrote: August 9, 2020, 4:59 am Kotoni Staggs wants out?

Although centres are currently the paupers of the game, I want to see this done. He is a game breaker.
Hes one of the few centres you just need to pass the ball to which suits our style of not setting up for anything in particular
Dont delete this GE
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

He also wants out of the broncos which makes him a decent human being
Dont delete this GE
AUSTEZER
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: John Ferguson

Post by AUSTEZER »

if we can somehow move Scott on i think this could be a good option
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Staffs is denying wanting out

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

simo wrote: August 9, 2020, 12:35 pm He also wants out of the broncos which makes him a decent human being
I’m pro bringing in a diversity of kinks into the locker room
Hard to imagine we’ve got a ton of toe suckers in the sheds
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Surely his talent has him with a foot in the door already ?
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

I’d be making some calls to Katoa.

Good ball returner, good finisher, coming off contract and wouldn’t cost the world.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

He's got attitude as well. It's not just talent.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

BadnMean wrote: August 7, 2020, 6:43 pm
Not sure who is after him but he was playing excellent league when he left the Dogs and was probably the Tahs best back last season according to some I spoke to + then went ok in European rugby. Everything Rona did in league is streets ahead of anything we've seen from Bailey, Semi, HSS or Scott- not even a close comparison.

Given he's only 28 and never left any code for form/lack of clubs wanting him then I'd say he'll get a bit of interest now it is known he's looking at league again. I'd be happy if he came here. Be nice for the club to fly him over 1st class and put him up at a 5 star mansion just to show the NRL the can of worms they've opened.
My FIL watches a **** ton of RU (dont know how he does it) and he reckons Rona has played well in RU. I asked him directly about what we'd be able to expect from him as a Cotric replacement and his thoughts were "you'll get about about 70-80% of what Cotric gives you"

So if we got him and are paying him something in the zone of 350+400k, i think that's a really good move.

I was VERY big on him before he left for RU too, think im on record here on the GH saying he was one of the most underated players in the game and a top 5 winger.