Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2020

Post by Northern Raider »

Matt wrote: July 29, 2020, 9:59 am
Northern Raider wrote: July 29, 2020, 9:45 am
GreenMachine wrote: July 29, 2020, 8:28 am
FROG wrote: July 29, 2020, 7:07 am While on the broncos, I reckon we should be making a play for Herbie Farnworth as a replacement for cotric. Hed have a few english mates for company and the boybcan play. I have heard he wants to stay but surely hed be tempted to jump ship of that basket case of a club with the right offer
I've been calling for this move for a while now.
The boy can play and would be a great addition, however given our current crop of young backs, I do wonder if were better placed trying to find someone with more experience.
Farnworth just agreed to an extension with Broncos.
YES! Ive been banging that drum too.
NR, I cant find anything to that effect. I know it was in the media for a little while, but not sure anything was finalised.
I heard it on TripleM yesterday. It was anecdotal rather than an official announcement. My initial thought was that they're actually keeping somebody worthwhile that puts in.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

MrPosh wrote: July 29, 2020, 7:34 am
radicalraider wrote: July 28, 2020, 8:53 pm Any truth about Ryan Hall joining in 2021 ?
I hope not.

At his best he was a remarkable player - the best winger I've seen since Sailor. Had everything - pace, power, agility, game smarts and defence.

He's too far past his best, though. He's still powerful, but he's lost his pace and agility and his ability to read the game hasn't caught up with his reduced skill set.
Agree. I never saw the best bits of his career butHall is just a plodder these days. He'd just be in the road of trying to find if our young backs have a higher ceiling or languishing in reserves. He should probably head back to SL.

Pretty sure RadicalRaider is sending us a gee up there.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: July 29, 2020, 10:44 am
Matt wrote: July 29, 2020, 9:59 am
Northern Raider wrote: July 29, 2020, 9:45 am
GreenMachine wrote: July 29, 2020, 8:28 am
FROG wrote: July 29, 2020, 7:07 am While on the broncos, I reckon we should be making a play for Herbie Farnworth as a replacement for cotric. Hed have a few english mates for company and the boybcan play. I have heard he wants to stay but surely hed be tempted to jump ship of that basket case of a club with the right offer
I've been calling for this move for a while now.
The boy can play and would be a great addition, however given our current crop of young backs, I do wonder if were better placed trying to find someone with more experience.
Farnworth just agreed to an extension with Broncos.
YES! Ive been banging that drum too.
NR, I cant find anything to that effect. I know it was in the media for a little while, but not sure anything was finalised.
I heard it on TripleM yesterday. It was anecdotal rather than an official announcement. My initial thought was that they're actually keeping somebody worthwhile that puts in.
ok, cool
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I would say yes to Herb based on his name alone. It’s a combination of the movie that defined my childhood, and the cartoon I binge over the weekends
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 29, 2020, 6:04 pm I would say yes to Herb based on his name alone. It’s a combination of the movie that defined my childhood, and the cartoon I binge over the weekends
I didn’t know there was a cartoon **** character named Farnsworth??
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Matty Lees and Morgan Knowles of St Helens are both being linked with a move to the NRL.

Knowles is a very good player, but I've not seen a lot of Lees. He's a former Bradford junior and St Helens fans speak of him being the heir to Luke Thompson.

One wag (not me) has changed his Wikipedia page to say he's signed for the Raiders, but I can't find any actual link.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

I'm not sure either of these purchases would make much sense for the Raiders now. We've a solid group of 21-22 year old forwards in Guler, Hors, Young and then O' Donnell, Darby Medlyn and Harry Rushton coming up.

Ricky might want another one in the mix (especially if he sees Young and O' Donnell as edges not middles) I suppose but I'd think our recruiting now would be focussed on an outside back, since we'll be losing Cotric + Rapana and Oldfield are off contract next season and becoming year by year propositions.

I wouldn't be surprised at all now if more NRL clubs are looking at English forwards though. From Graham to the Burgess' to the Raiders lot there haven't been many misses lately among English forwards come over and Thompson has been steady so far for the Dogs amid an arrival in quite challenging circumstances.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

BadnMean wrote: July 29, 2020, 8:22 pm I'm not sure either of these purchases would make much sense for the Raiders now. We've a solid group of 21-22 year old forwards in Guler, Hors, Young and then O' Donnell, Darby Medlyn and Harry Rushton coming up.

Ricky might want another one in the mix (especially if he sees Young and O' Donnell as edges not middles) I suppose but I'd think our recruiting now would be focussed on an outside back, since we'll be losing Cotric + Rapana and Oldfield are off contract next season and becoming year by year propositions.

I wouldn't be surprised at all now if more NRL clubs are looking at English forwards though. From Graham to the Burgess' to the Raiders lot there haven't been many misses lately among English forwards come over and Thompson has been steady so far for the Dogs amid an arrival in quite challenging circumstances.
The only way this makes sense to me is if we are recruiting for our own NSW cup team. We would need another squad of 20-30 on top of our first grade side.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Thanks MrP. Really appreciate your insights mate. May come in handy at the back end of this year.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Coastalraider wrote: July 29, 2020, 8:26 pm
BadnMean wrote: July 29, 2020, 8:22 pm I'm not sure either of these purchases would make much sense for the Raiders now. We've a solid group of 21-22 year old forwards in Guler, Hors, Young and then O' Donnell, Darby Medlyn and Harry Rushton coming up.

The only way this makes sense to me is if we are recruiting for our own NSW cup team. We would need another squad of 20-30 on top of our first grade side.
Nowhere near that many! If you have a NRL squad of 30 plus 6 development players already.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by MrPosh »

I'm not saying it's happening, of course. However, Lees and especially Knowles wouldn't be coming for development contracts. If it wasn't for Wayne Bennett, Knowles would have been in and around the Lions team.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

2 greatest names to never play FG for us..
Cleveland McGhee
Magnus Stromquist
I'll let myself out now
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

greeneyed wrote: July 29, 2020, 8:40 pm

Nowhere near that many! If you have a NRL squad of 30 plus 6 development players already.
To field 2 full teams of 17 each week in grade and nsw cup we need 34. Allow for injuries, form etc I would have thought we would need a full squad of 50 to cover to cover that. Add in Flegg and Matt’s at 17 a piece, that’s a pretty big number of players??? You would need very close to a full raiders squad of 100 to cover all 4 grades?

What sort of squad numbers do Penrith have that cover all grades in house?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

McGhee had it all when he was in the mood too. Still annoyed he didn't continue on.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

MrPosh wrote: July 29, 2020, 8:59 pm

I'm not saying it's happening, of course. However, Lees and especially Knowles wouldn't be coming for development contracts. If it wasn't for Wayne Bennett, Knowles would have been in and around the Lions team.
Fill me in if I’m mistake Mr Posh, but it looks like Lees hasn’t been playing in the super league? It seems he was loaned out to a championship team?

That doesn’t scream ‘first grade nrl’ to me, would you put him on the same kind of level as
Young Harry?
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by MrPosh »

Coastalraider wrote: July 29, 2020, 9:49 pm

Fill me in if I’m mistake Mr Posh, but it looks like Lees hasn’t been playing in the super league? It seems he was loaned out to a championship team?

That doesn’t scream ‘first grade nrl’ to me, would you put him on the same kind of level as
Young Harry?
He has - looks like he's played 50 odd SL games. He was Super League young player of the year, last year.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

MrPosh wrote: July 29, 2020, 10:15 pm
Coastalraider wrote: July 29, 2020, 9:49 pm

Young Harry?
He has - looks like he's played 50 odd SL games. He was Super League young player of the year, last year.
Cheers mate, that makes more sense.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Herbie Farnworth stays with Broncos to end 2022: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/23/202 ... -16-teams/
Green Beers
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Ricky staurt

Post by Green Beers »

Alex Johnston?
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Green Beers wrote: July 31, 2020, 12:56 pm Alex Johnston?
I've mentioned him as a signing a couple of times so I'll summarize for you:

He's either too crap or too expensive depending on who replies.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Never heard of him
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

gergreg wrote:
-TW- wrote:
gergreg wrote:
julian87 wrote:
gangrenous wrote: July 28, 2020, 7:57 pm How about George Rose? He was a cult hero.
Brilliant!

But if you can be fat as **** and play five-eighth with hands like silk that’s another thing.

Don’t get me started on cricket...
I saw a brief highlight of the Windies/Poms test on the weekend. Who is the fat prick the Windies have got?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
That's Sir Rakheem Cornwall to you..

A shining light for mear mortals. Doesn't matter how morbidly obese you are, you can still play test cricket

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
Specialist fielder?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Bats 8 bowls offies

Hits a long ball, but then again has a lot of velocity behind his swing

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Momentum behind his swing, aided by his great mass, rather than any special velocity but anyway.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

zim wrote:

correct. too expensive for me. Goes good though

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

zim wrote: July 31, 2020, 1:16 pm

He also wants to play fullback. If he was happy to stay on the wing the Rabbitohs would probably be able to keep him
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

bonehead wrote: July 31, 2020, 3:34 pm
zim wrote:

Agree.
Great winger who can finish well.
Just asking for too much money and sees himself as a fullback.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Yep. Not worth the 600k he can get from another club.

However I’d take him as a winger for $400k.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

I don't see Johnston as a fullback, I think he is a winger but he wants fullback money.
I don't see the value in him, especially as we have several young blokes coming through who would be much better value.
Rads1984
Brett Mullins

Post by Rads1984 »

I like the look of Jack Hetherington and his dad is a former Raider.

Strong runner, tough and gave it to JWH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

I think the fullback romance has past him a bit now. Sure he'd take it if the opportunity came but he's not going to get that offer in the top 8. Bit of a reality check for him spending time out of 1st grade this year.
Green Beers
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Ricky staurt

Post by Green Beers »

Rads1984 wrote: July 31, 2020, 6:49 pm I like the look of Jack Hetherington and his dad is a former Raider.

We had him on the books for this year but I don’t know what happened?
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Rads1984 wrote: July 31, 2020, 6:49 pm I like the look of Jack Hetherington and his dad is a former Raider.

We almost had him during the pre-season but it seemed to fall through. I wonder if that door has closed now.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Reports had Hetherington on $400k at the Panthers. Surely that’s not correct.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

I wonder if the current situation where outside backs all want to play fullback is driven by player managers. Blowing smoke up the arses of their clients in the pursuit of$.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

GreenMachine wrote: July 31, 2020, 4:56 pm
bonehead wrote: July 31, 2020, 3:34 pm
zim wrote:

Agree.
Great winger who can finish well.
Just asking for too much money and sees himself as a fullback.
The problem for me is he doesnt help us out where we need it as a winger
his speed his nice, but we need someone who can help us ruck it out, it's going to be a HUGE problem if we dont fix that without Cotric
We need a big body or a powerful ball runner. Johnson gets frog marched backwards the moment there is 2-3 tacklers involved