Moderator: GH Moderators

GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2020

Post by GreenMachine »

Northern Raider wrote: July 26, 2020, 5:33 pm
sprintman wrote: July 26, 2020, 5:27 pm
Northern Raider wrote: July 26, 2020, 5:06 pm How does that work? Titans owe him $1.3m for next 2 years. Surely he doesn't walk away from that kind of money.
They’ve done a deal.
Yeah so how does that work?
Negotiated settlement. Probably offered him cents in the dollar to leave.
I'm not sure it counts on the cap.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

GreenMachine wrote: July 27, 2020, 8:36 am
Northern Raider wrote: July 26, 2020, 5:06 pm How does that work? Titans owe him $1.3m for next 2 years. Surely he doesn't walk away from that kind of money.
They’ve done a deal.
Sounds like a pretty easy out for the Titans and not much benefit for Boyd. Thinking he needed a better negotiator on his side.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

They’ve done a deal.
Payouts count but they could probably massage it down into a lump sum in one year or spread lower over the 2 years to cap creatively around it.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

BadnMean wrote: July 27, 2020, 8:52 am
They’ve done a deal.
Payouts count but they could probably massage it down into a lump sum in one year or spread lower over the 2 years to cap creatively around it.
Id wager they've come to agreement and they'll spread the payment over the course of the contract for cap purposes
He was on 650k a year, with 2 years left... it's probably a good deal for all parties to have the titans cut him a cheque for 350k each of the next two years for him to go back to the family business and the titooons to clear 300k of cap space each year
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Botman wrote: July 27, 2020, 9:37 am

They’ve done a deal.
Id wager they've come to agreement and they'll spread the payment over the course of the contract for cap purposes
He was on 650k a year, with 2 years left... it's probably a good deal for all parties to have the titans cut him a cheque for 350k each of the next two years for him to go back to the family business and the titooons to clear 300k of cap space each year
No way he'd sacrifice that much unless he got terrible advice. Surely he'd be looking for at least 450k.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:
Botman wrote: July 27, 2020, 9:37 am
Northern Raider wrote: July 26, 2020, 5:33 pm Yeah so how does that work?
No way he'd sacrifice that much unless he got terrible advice. Surely he'd be looking for at least 450k.
They'll find a way to medically retire him, so the payout won't be on the cap anyway.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 27, 2020, 4:02 pm No way he'd sacrifice that much unless he got terrible advice. Surely he'd be looking for at least 450k.
Depends how miserable he is I guess
But yeah wouldn’t surprise me. The titans would probably consider it a good result if they got out of it for 500k per year or less
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

They're paying his full salary now for him to do jack ****, so any discount on that is a bonus.

Conversely, Boyd shouldn't be entitled to a cent if he chose to retire.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Botman wrote: July 27, 2020, 4:38 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 27, 2020, 4:02 pm No way he'd sacrifice that much unless he got terrible advice. Surely he'd be looking for at least 450k.
Depends how miserable he is I guess
But yeah wouldn’t surprise me. The titans would probably consider it a good result if they got out of it for 500k per year or less
I guess he is one of the few cases you'll find where he has no reason to be reasonable :roflmao. He may be in a hurry to get out but he's not in a rush to get to another potential playing situation.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

So wait, every other guy is leaving their junior club to get more dollars elsewhere to 'look after their families' and 'set themselves up' because they're 'only in the game a short time', and yet Boyd is walking away from some or all of his last ever NRL contract worth way more than he'll ever earn again? That doesn't sound likely to me.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Ruben Daley wrote: July 27, 2020, 10:41 pm So wait, every other guy is leaving their junior club to get more dollars elsewhere to 'look after their families' and 'set themselves up' because they're 'only in the game a short time', and yet Boyd is walking away from some or all of his last ever NRL contract worth way more than he'll ever earn again? That doesn't sound likely to me.
He wont be getting 100% of what he signed (600K), but I dont see him settling for 50% (300K) either. 450K, or 75% a yr, for doing nothing, sounds pretty sweet to me.

He does love his farm though, esp pig hunting, so maybe he is happy to walk away, and possibly for less.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: July 28, 2020, 11:16 am
Ruben Daley wrote: July 27, 2020, 10:41 pm So wait, every other guy is leaving their junior club to get more dollars elsewhere to 'look after their families' and 'set themselves up' because they're 'only in the game a short time', and yet Boyd is walking away from some or all of his last ever NRL contract worth way more than he'll ever earn again? That doesn't sound likely to me.
He wont be getting 100% of what he signed (600K), but I dont see him settling for 50% (300K) either. 450K, or 75% a yr, for doing nothing, sounds pretty sweet to me.

He does love his farm though, esp pig hunting, so maybe he is happy to walk away, and possibly for less.
Well when he goes hunting he should look up because I think some of those pigs are flying.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: July 28, 2020, 11:27 am

Well when he goes hunting he should look up because I think some of those pigs are flying.
:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Northern Raider wrote: July 28, 2020, 11:27 am

:lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canterbury Bulldogs foward Adam Elliott has been unable to come to terms with the Bulldogs, attracting the attention of both the Dragons and Raiders. But the Raiders look like dropping out of the race, leaving the Dragons in the box seat to sign the nuggety forward: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/mole-adam- ... 6eb6d483f9

Good outcome.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: July 28, 2020, 12:11 pm Canterbury Bulldogs foward Adam Elliott has been unable to come to terms with the Bulldogs, attracting the attention of both the Dragons and Raiders. But the Raiders look like dropping out of the race, leaving the Dragons in the box seat to sign the nuggety forward: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/mole-adam- ... 6eb6d483f9

Good outcome.
Agree. Superfluous to needs next year. Best to focus recruitment efforts towards outside backs.
jimmy82
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

Milford being moved on in 2021, would you take him back if it was a good deal? Play fullback and move CNK to centre or wing.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

jimmy82 wrote: July 28, 2020, 1:42 pm Milford being moved on in 2021, would you take him back if it was a good deal? Play fullback and move CNK to centre or wing.
no thanks. milf was good when he was small and electric. he's now unenthusiastic and heavy
Dont delete this GE
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

jimmy82 wrote: July 28, 2020, 1:42 pm Milford being moved on in 2021, would you take him back if it was a good deal? Play fullback and move CNK to centre or wing.
Nope
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

greeneyed wrote: July 28, 2020, 12:11 pm Canterbury Bulldogs foward Adam Elliott has been unable to come to terms with the Bulldogs, attracting the attention of both the Dragons and Raiders. But the Raiders look like dropping out of the race, leaving the Dragons in the box seat to sign the nuggety forward: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/mole-adam- ... 6eb6d483f9

Good outcome.
Yes. with Corey onboard and Ryan James coming potentially our forwards are done . we need an outside back or two
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

simo wrote: July 28, 2020, 1:52 pm
no thanks. milf was good when he was small and electric. he's now unenthusiastic and heavy
Reports saying Broncos would wear up to $600k of his deal. I'd consider taking his 2021 contract for $400k. A career defining season for him. If he can't address the fitness and enthusiasm issues for that then he can kiss goodbye to any decent money from the NRL.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

His fitness and body type isnt conducive to being the sort of player we'd need at fullback and his defence in that spot is a major problem, so i think for a team like us the answer is no... but a club like the bulldogs should take that gamble 100/100
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I’d be stunned if the club would ever invite Milford back. After all the club did for him. He made his bed.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Pass on Milford.
He's burnt his bridges here...left when Ricky did everything to keep him.
Plus I can't see him as a fullback (too unfit and small).
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

greeneyed wrote: July 28, 2020, 2:55 pm I’d be stunned if the club would ever invite Milford back. After all the club did for him. He made his bed.
Exactly.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

simo wrote:
I think Jack Bird at centre is worth a look. I read today Bronco’s might need to pay up to $700k if his salary meaning $200k a year you would get him for
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

We'd need a strict "no pies" rule written into his contract..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Can't see Milf buying into the 100% effort and commitment and character that defines our current squad.

If we got bird it would be our 2nd injury prone lottery buy. I'd rather see Curtis Rona pan out actually, but that's gone cold.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Yeah I guess the problem with Milf isn't that we're getting him at a reduced price. It's the fact that he'd still be getting his $1m so likely to keep phoning it in.

RE: Bird. Although picking him up for sub $300k looks like a decent risk:reward scenario I don't think we want 3 guys on the books coming off multitple ACL injuries.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Northern Raider wrote: July 28, 2020, 3:28 pm Yeah I guess the problem with Milf isn't that we're getting him at a reduced price. It's the fact that he'd still be getting his $1m so likely to keep phoning it in.

RE: Bird. Although picking him up for sub $300k looks like a decent risk:reward scenario I don't think we want 3 guys on the books coming off multitple ACL injuries.
Yep.
Of the two, Bird would be less of a risk IMO because he could actually fulfil a need.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Tigers should pick up Milford. Madge might actually kill him.
That Doueihi is garbage.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

GreenMachine wrote: July 28, 2020, 3:52 pm
Northern Raider wrote: July 28, 2020, 3:28 pm Yeah I guess the problem with Milf isn't that we're getting him at a reduced price. It's the fact that he'd still be getting his $1m so likely to keep phoning it in.

Yep.
Of the two, Bird would be less of a risk IMO because he could actually fulfil a need.
I'd take Bird at that price just on the off chance that he came back and completely ripped it up next season. The angst out of the Bronco's forum would be hilarious.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

The only burnt bridge I'd be ok with seeing rebuild is Vaughn
boomer
David Shillington

Post by boomer »

People.talking about milf and bird. Some real cooked **** in here