Raiders player signing speculation 2020

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2020

Post by SeeBee101 »

radicalraider wrote: July 20, 2020, 12:06 pm Adam Elliot to Raiders for 3 years is just about done
Yuck! Hope this is not true. Absolute plod mcplod plod. Typical Raiders....
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Adam Elliott would be as underwhelming a replacement for JB as we could muster.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Dogs will be ecstatic if we take Elliott
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Elliot has a bung shoulder- seems a dud buy to be as I've never seen him do anything. Then again, I rarely watch Dogs games last few years as they are poor viewing.

To those who have seen him and rate him a bit, what does he offer that Havilii, Tapine, Hors, or Young as a lock don't offer? (obviously some of those might play prop depending but all are/have been considerations at lock).

What would get him picked ahead of those blokes?
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Northern Raider wrote: July 20, 2020, 12:23 pm Seems I'm in the minority that thinks Adam Elliott is a decent pick up.
I’m on the fence.
He’s a point of difference to what we currently have. Would feel better if we scooped CHN too.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

sprintman wrote: July 20, 2020, 12:36 pm Dogs will be ecstatic if we take Elliott
That is pretty much the sentiment in The Kennell forums.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: July 20, 2020, 12:34 pm Adam Elliott would be as underwhelming a replacement for JB as we could muster.
I'm not rating him as a JB replacement. That's more what CHN would be. Elliott would slot into the middle and potentially replace Sia.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Northern Raider wrote: July 20, 2020, 12:48 pm
Botman wrote: July 20, 2020, 12:34 pm Adam Elliott would be as underwhelming a replacement for JB as we could muster.
I'm not rating him as a JB replacement. That's more what CHN would be. Elliott would slot into the middle and potentially replace Sia.
Yep that's what I'm thinking
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah i mean he's playing good footy this year, and he's OK... he's a solid NRL FGer but i cant get excited for it. You can find Adam Elliott anywhere. We should be able to develop that guy. He doesnt move the needle for the team imo.

But if that's what we're doing ill give him a go.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Matt wrote: July 20, 2020, 11:49 am Player signing speculation is my wheelhouse, I love looking at recruitment.

I think Momirovski has been an absolute dud at the storm. Tigers fans were so excited at him getting a first grade run but he looks 2 years away.
If I was taking my choice from the bunnies Graham is well ahead of Burns.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Botman wrote: July 20, 2020, 12:59 pm
Yeah i mean he's playing good footy this year, and he's OK... he's a solid NRL FGer but i cant get excited for it. You can find Adam Elliott anywhere. We should be able to develop that guy. He doesnt move the needle for the team imo.

i demand this adam elliott speculation be a gee up
Dont delete this GE
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Yea Elliott for Bateman seems a big downgrade.
Elliott and CHN in for Luke and John
Bateman Would be easier to handle
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Cranky Old Man wrote:HSS and Timoko have the physique to play either centre or a rucking wing, Valemi looks an out and out winger to me, and we also have that young centre/winger out for this season with a knee problem who was good when fit and played a couple of games last year.
I really don't believe in chasing too hard for centres and wingers, just not the value init. Plus the spectre of Bird, Roberts, et al chewing up salary cap for nil return makes me squirm a bit.
Please don’t try and get around the swear filter, thanks
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Matt wrote:Player signing speculation is my wheelhouse, I love looking at recruitment.

1stly, Timoko, HSS and Valemei all look good, BUT, they still need time vs men. They are all young, and while they looked good at the 9s, thats a different format. All good depth though. A taste of NRL this yr wouldnt hurt, and Valemei looks like getting a few games now too.

As for the guys Hong Kong Raider mentioned:
Nofo - this guy isnt leaving. So, should have applied his own rules to this one.
Barba - HARD PASS!
Ikuvalu - Not a terrible idea. He is a solid option. Wont move the needle, but I think you could have him as a starter.
Coates - again... Bronx arent letting this kid go. Better chance is Farnsworth. Looks a goer IMO. Again, not the dynamic guy, but looks a long term solid FGer.
Tupouinua - I think Chooks know what they have here. Not going anywhere.

BTW, agree RE Copley. Yes, versatile, but ALWAYS injured.

Others mentioned:
Sione Katao - He is one of those rocks and diamonds wingers. I dont hate him as an option though.
Gildart - Dont hate the move, but not convinced.
Naden - Pass
McMeeken - havent seen him, but Mr Posh's description has me intrigued.
'Hammer' - Im going to Pass, but I can see the attraction. I think he is potentially a Nathan Merritt, Alex Johnston type. Solid FGer, but not really a FB, more winger, and probably too small for the yardage stuff in the modern game.

There are a truckload of options next yr for guys off contract, this yr is a little thin (2020).
Backs:
Aitken - unfortunately, looks like he has a 2nd or 3rd wind at Dragons now.
Momirovski - pending the trade deal with Grant, could be a sneaky pickup
Albert Hopoate - gun jr, injuries are a worry though
Farnsworth - I know other clubs are interested here too, but as per above.
Moga - Knights have a few options at centre, so could pick him up. Bad injury history though.
I have Ikuvalu and Katoa on my list, Johnston too, but more for lack of options.

Forwards (the 'needle movers' arent really there bar CHN):
Taka - I know its unpopular, but he would be a solid edge option if CHN isnt here.
Aubo - as above.
Burr - Big minute middle, will do the dirty stuff. Not a needle mover.
Papali'i - Tweener, lock or edge. Not a needle mover, but solid.
M Eisenhuth - Has been eminence in Twals absence. This new game play is right up his alley.
Molo - impactful middle (doubt Cows let him go though)
Kerr - impactful middle (doubt Drags let him go though)

Next yr (2021)
Backs:
Averillo - do a Cotric on the Dogs
Burns - injury history is a worry, but all the Bunnies backs are off contract next yr
CGraham - as above, but feel like he is their 1st priority.
Mulitalo - Sharks big winger - again, hard to poach probably.
Smith - The Chooks kid that was going to replace Latrell before he did his ACL
Leleisiuao - Was going to be the next Radradra, but Eels went Sivo over him last yr. So he went to Titans. Has got a look in, but by all accounts is great. His u20s numbers 2yr ago were astounding. I can only think there are other issues involved here.

Gutsy move...
Make a play for Tex Hoy. He wont play FB with Ponga around, and Mann is killing it at 6, and he also has a Storm connection with O'Brien. He looks very good, and move CNK to the troublesome right centre spot. Not ideal for CNK but strengthens out team IMO.
OR
Make a play for Drinkwater. Same solution, but you are getting a more progressed and experienced player in the same position. I think all the extra defense at NRL level is hurting him. But his ball play and kicking is very good.

Forwards:
Martin - an aggressive edge/lock (Panthers might have cap strain next yr)
Alvaro - still no clue why he isnt playing for Eels OR hasnt been snapped up by NZ, Bronx or Us this yr with injuries and covid etc
Leniu - impactful young middle at Panthers
Whitbread - big min middle at Titans, depth more than starter
Britt - needs structured play like at Storm, I think he could fit here. Plays middle or edge.
Capewell - only if we still need an edge starter
Magoulias - ball playing lock, getting no look in at Sharks. Adds something a little different to the pack.
With Whitbread, you’d get the added appeal of causing brain explosions anytime there’s a Whitbread / Whitehead play

The final piece would be to bring back Darren Britt, Matthew Head and Michael Witt, just to listen to Rabs try and say “Head to Britt to Witt, flicks it to Whitbread, who offloads to Whitehead, back to Witt grubbers to Head...”

Damn... just realised we need Brett White as well. White to Head to Whitehead...
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

kiwi raider wrote: July 20, 2020, 5:42 pm

If we lose the Bateman's and Cotric and effective replace them with CHN, Elliott and Rona and lock up some other vital players like George Williams, i'd feel pretty good about it. Definite downgrades but not so much that we'd be out of contention.

If it's just Elliott and he's a starter for us...yeeesh, that's underwhelming
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

When is the cut off for signing players this season?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

August 3.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Elliott and CHN in for Luke and John Bateman Would be easier to handle
Yeah, that would be a much more palatable framing of the situation if that's the way it plays out.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

MrPosh wrote: July 19, 2020, 5:46 pm Just to comment on the couple of English men mentioned...

Mike McMeeken is some player and from the South of England, to boot. He's big, fast and powerful. He's muscular in defence, but I'm not sure he has the discipline (to be fair, that defence is exactly how I would have described Whitehead and he turned out OK).

Anyway, he's signed for Catalans.
Thanks for the update Mr Posh. I had missed his Catalans signing. Do they have a cooling off time like in Oz?
For those on the GH wondering what the excitement is about Google Mike Mcmeeken highlights and enjoy. He is a much larger version of Bateman including a good short kicking game and sheer power running.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

If they don't want to sign by next Friday then look elsewhere... they want to play for us or not ?
If not, find some fijians and PNG props and teach them how to hold a footy and go with that
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Neeeegz wrote:If they don't want to sign by next Friday then look elsewhere... they want to play for us or not ?
If not, find some fijians and PNG props and teach them how to hold a footy and go with that
If you can’t find any Fijian, I wouldn’t mind giving some of these Calcio Storico players a go

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I love that ****. I remember a few years ago, i disappearing down a youtube rabbithole for about 4 hours watching that stuff... Brutal
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

zim wrote: July 20, 2020, 2:06 pm
Matt wrote: July 20, 2020, 11:49 am Player signing speculation is my wheelhouse, I love looking at recruitment.

I think Momirovski has been an absolute dud at the storm. Tigers fans were so excited at him getting a first grade run but he looks 2 years away.
I like CGraham over Burns too. However, im confident the Bunnies agree.

As for Momi, 3 tries, 122m a game, 18 tackle busts. Not bad considering he played 2 games on the wing which is out of position.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

I too can get on board with 2 Dogs for 2 Batemans.
If Johnnys 750K is to be believed, and we assume Luke is on min wage ish. That's approx 900K. I can totally see us getting CHN and Elliott for that kind of coin - say 500-600 and 300-400.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 20, 2020, 6:18 pm
Matt wrote:Player signing speculation is my wheelhouse, I love looking at recruitment.

1stly, Timoko, HSS and Valemei all look good, BUT, they still need time vs men. They are all young, and while they looked good at the 9s, thats a different format. All good depth though. A taste of NRL this yr wouldnt hurt, and Valemei looks like getting a few games now too.

As for the guys Hong Kong Raider mentioned:
Nofo - this guy isnt leaving. So, should have applied his own rules to this one.
Barba - HARD PASS!
Ikuvalu - Not a terrible idea. He is a solid option. Wont move the needle, but I think you could have him as a starter.
Coates - again... Bronx arent letting this kid go. Better chance is Farnsworth. Looks a goer IMO. Again, not the dynamic guy, but looks a long term solid FGer.
Tupouinua - I think Chooks know what they have here. Not going anywhere.

BTW, agree RE Copley. Yes, versatile, but ALWAYS injured.

Others mentioned:
Sione Katao - He is one of those rocks and diamonds wingers. I dont hate him as an option though.
Gildart - Dont hate the move, but not convinced.
Naden - Pass
McMeeken - havent seen him, but Mr Posh's description has me intrigued.
'Hammer' - Im going to Pass, but I can see the attraction. I think he is potentially a Nathan Merritt, Alex Johnston type. Solid FGer, but not really a FB, more winger, and probably too small for the yardage stuff in the modern game.

There are a truckload of options next yr for guys off contract, this yr is a little thin (2020).
Backs:
Aitken - unfortunately, looks like he has a 2nd or 3rd wind at Dragons now.
Momirovski - pending the trade deal with Grant, could be a sneaky pickup
Albert Hopoate - gun jr, injuries are a worry though
Farnsworth - I know other clubs are interested here too, but as per above.
Moga - Knights have a few options at centre, so could pick him up. Bad injury history though.
I have Ikuvalu and Katoa on my list, Johnston too, but more for lack of options.

Forwards (the 'needle movers' arent really there bar CHN):
Taka - I know its unpopular, but he would be a solid edge option if CHN isnt here.
Aubo - as above.
Burr - Big minute middle, will do the dirty stuff. Not a needle mover.
Papali'i - Tweener, lock or edge. Not a needle mover, but solid.
M Eisenhuth - Has been eminence in Twals absence. This new game play is right up his alley.
Molo - impactful middle (doubt Cows let him go though)
Kerr - impactful middle (doubt Drags let him go though)

Next yr (2021)
Backs:
Averillo - do a Cotric on the Dogs
Burns - injury history is a worry, but all the Bunnies backs are off contract next yr
CGraham - as above, but feel like he is their 1st priority.
Mulitalo - Sharks big winger - again, hard to poach probably.
Smith - The Chooks kid that was going to replace Latrell before he did his ACL
Leleisiuao - Was going to be the next Radradra, but Eels went Sivo over him last yr. So he went to Titans. Has got a look in, but by all accounts is great. His u20s numbers 2yr ago were astounding. I can only think there are other issues involved here.

Gutsy move...
Make a play for Tex Hoy. He wont play FB with Ponga around, and Mann is killing it at 6, and he also has a Storm connection with O'Brien. He looks very good, and move CNK to the troublesome right centre spot. Not ideal for CNK but strengthens out team IMO.
OR
Make a play for Drinkwater. Same solution, but you are getting a more progressed and experienced player in the same position. I think all the extra defense at NRL level is hurting him. But his ball play and kicking is very good.

Forwards:
Martin - an aggressive edge/lock (Panthers might have cap strain next yr)
Alvaro - still no clue why he isnt playing for Eels OR hasnt been snapped up by NZ, Bronx or Us this yr with injuries and covid etc
Leniu - impactful young middle at Panthers
Whitbread - big min middle at Titans, depth more than starter
Britt - needs structured play like at Storm, I think he could fit here. Plays middle or edge.
Capewell - only if we still need an edge starter
Magoulias - ball playing lock, getting no look in at Sharks. Adds something a little different to the pack.
With Whitbread, you’d get the added appeal of causing brain explosions anytime there’s a Whitbread / Whitehead play

The final piece would be to bring back Darren Britt, Matthew Head and Michael Witt, just to listen to Rabs try and say “Head to Britt to Witt, flicks it to Whitbread, who offloads to Whitehead, back to Witt grubbers to Head...”

Damn... just realised we need Brett White as well. White to Head to Whitehead...
:roflmao
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I reckon Elliott on a cheap deal is a good signing.

More importantly though the club desperately needs 1/2 blokes that can come on board and play middle for the next 8 or so weeks. The current crop just won’t get us through imo. No matter the draw it is too hard to expect so much of Papalii and Tapine for 2 Months (even when Bateman is hopefully back)
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I think we can get through the regular season with our current middles shouldering the load but its hard to imagine they'd have the legs in them deep into finals footy to help us make a real impact there
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Botman wrote:I love that ****. I remember a few years ago, i disappearing down a youtube rabbithole for about 4 hours watching that stuff... Brutal
Same. It was this same rabbit hole I discovered Slamball. One of the best sports going around. Basketball meets gymnastics meets NFL meets Ice Hockey. I feel like you’d enjoy it

Nickman's love of NSW
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

greeneyed wrote: July 20, 2020, 6:59 pmAugust 3.
Cheers
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Matt wrote: July 20, 2020, 9:00 pm
zim wrote: July 20, 2020, 2:06 pm

I like CGraham over Burns too. However, im confident the Bunnies agree.

As for Momi, 3 tries, 122m a game, 18 tackle busts. Not bad considering he played 2 games on the wing which is out of position.
Watch his defense and off the ball work. Not the stuff he's doing off the back of Brandon Smith and co creating space for him.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Botman wrote: July 20, 2020, 9:34 pm I think we can get through the regular season with our current middles shouldering the load but its hard to imagine they'd have the legs in them deep into finals footy to help us make a real impact there
Remember though that current recovery timelines mean we should have Bateman back soon, as well as Guler and Horse back just in time for finals. That makes a huge difference. Even Sia is listed as returning during finals.

Hodgo and Bailey are the only 2 confirmed season ending injuries.
Green Beers
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Ricky staurt

Post by Green Beers »

Bodene Thompson anyone? Stiffen up the middle with papa, playing for Toronto wolf pack but they are now out of the super league
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Coastalraider wrote: July 21, 2020, 7:59 am
Botman wrote: July 20, 2020, 9:34 pm I think we can get through the regular season with our current middles shouldering the load but its hard to imagine they'd have the legs in them deep into finals footy to help us make a real impact there
Remember though that current recovery timelines mean we should have Bateman back soon, as well as Guler and Horse back just in time for finals. That makes a huge difference. Even Sia is listed as returning during finals.

If we get ghuler and horse back rd 18 ill be over the moon. 3 games to get match fit on fresher legs.
Dont delete this GE
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Green Beers wrote: July 21, 2020, 8:15 am Bodene Thompson anyone? Stiffen up the middle with papa, playing for Toronto wolf pack but they are now out of the super league
SBW is the only one worth paying in that Wolfpack coming back here.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

simo wrote: July 21, 2020, 8:17 am

If we get ghuler and horse back rd 18 ill be over the moon. 3 games to get match fit on fresher legs.
Bateman is Rd 13-14
Guler is Rd 17-19 (TBH i reckon it will be earlier, 15-16)
Horse is down at R20, which is basically season ending. His injury isnt one that heals fast either. Can easily take longer, so pray.