Raiders player signing speculation 2020

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2020

Post by Northern Raider »

gergreg wrote: July 5, 2020, 8:32 pm There was talk of Alex Johnson a while back and I would welcome him here. He has some serious pace and versatility.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Bennett isn't sold on him for some reason. He a classy winger and can play fullback in a pinch. Worth looking at.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Northern Raider wrote:
gergreg wrote: July 5, 2020, 8:32 pm There was talk of Alex Johnson a while back and I would welcome him here. He has some serious pace and versatility.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Bennett isn't sold on him for some reason. He a classy winger and can play fullback in a pinch. Worth looking at.
Especially if Cotric heads north.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

As always, it would depend on costs... But johsnon is a no from me

either you are bringing him as a winger, and in that circumstances i think you'd be paying a lot more for something i think Raps/Simo can provide at considerably less cost. He does has genuine speed and is a good finisher but he's not great at the other componets of wing play.

And whilst he flashed and i think he has talent as a potential fullback, and i would be VERY open to finding a ball playing fullback and moving CNK into that troublesome centre spot which is where im really starting to think CNK is best suited to be, the price tag would be too prohibitive to gamble on him there.

So i dont see why we'd make the move for AJ.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I'm a fan of Cory Oates. Has problems with his handling on occasion though... Not exactly what we need more of right now.

Seems to go OK in the second row. He's definitely got the size and agility to make a go of it.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I think the difference CNK makes to the defence is enormous and moving him would be crazy in my opinion. There are better ways to sort out attack.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I'm still not sure why there's a push to move CNK. I find it a bit odd that the blame for our poor form has been focussed in his direction.

His last line of defence is top shelf and he makes more metres out of fullback than just about anyone in the comp. I'm not sure why people expected his passing game to miraculously develop 1/3 of the way into a disrupted season. Stuart's not going to move him.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: July 5, 2020, 9:07 pm I think the difference CNK makes to the defence is enormous and moving him would be crazy in my opinion. There are better ways to sort out attack.
That's the rub... he's so good on that side of the ball
i think it was aksakjna that made a really great post on this, so the genesis of this idea belongs to him

But i thought a lot about it.
I think Wighton, on stoppages inside the attacking half (penalties, scrums, drop outs etc) should play the fullback role, with Williams and Wighton always on the open side of the field.

CNK should be stationed on the short side and work off the forwards, and run at short sides, with Hodgson cooking there with his creative ball playing out hooker and kicking behind the line for CNK (the fullback will always shade to Williams/Wighton opening this up) and allowing CNK to be a ball runner who is focused on breaking tackles. Rather than ball playing.
I think this gives up options both sides of the ruck, and yes we will be biased toward the open side, but that's the case with all teams. But that's what i'd be trying to do

It might be a disaster, but our attack right now is a diasater, and you cant do it in free play, you have to kind of set for it to allow the structural intergrity to be maintained but we have limtied methods of breaking through teams on the goal line.

I think that sort of change in attacking philosophy could work. But it's a huge change.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I live in south sydney. All my mates support the rabbitohs and not a single one of them rates AJ. reckon he bombs heaps of tries... not a ball playing back as has been suggested. Id prefer we target someone else
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Bennyinthewest »

The earlier comment about Oates, was an absolute gun in 2nd row through high school, dominated 20s, then got stuck on the wing.

I remember the got to play 2nd row around origin time with players out and scored two tries and was killing it.

It may be too late in his career but the guy was a good 2nd rower

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Looks like Adam Elliot picked up a bad shoulder injury last night and may miss the season. I'd think that might kill any interest the club had.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

edwahu wrote: July 6, 2020, 7:34 am Looks like Adam Elliot picked up a bad shoulder injury last night and may miss the season. I'd think that might kill any interest the club had.
If that drives his value down it could be a good thing for whoever is still interested imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

I saw someone mention Trey Mooney on social media. Does anyone know where he is at and if he's in the bubble and training with the full time squad?
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Bennyinthewest wrote: July 6, 2020, 1:13 am The earlier comment about Oates, was an absolute gun in 2nd row through high school, dominated 20s, then got stuck on the wing.

I remember the got to play 2nd row around origin time with players out and scored two tries and was killing it.

I honestly reckon it's the best way to lure a top quality player for a relatively bargain price. Every time I've seen him get a run in the pack, he's played very well. There have been tons of large body wingers who've come in and made literally great 2nd rowers (Toots Snr, Luke Lewis, Wighton would/could be in another life).

He's always banging on about being a 2nd rower, just might work. We've always been a club that does better when getting creative with signings.
AUSTEZER
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: John Ferguson

Post by AUSTEZER »

would we be able to afford him if he wants to play 2nd row
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Oates would be a great pickup. Offer him the second row position next year and seal the deal Don!
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

BadnMean wrote: July 6, 2020, 10:11 am
Bennyinthewest wrote: July 6, 2020, 1:13 am The earlier comment about Oates, was an absolute gun in 2nd row through high school, dominated 20s, then got stuck on the wing.

I honestly reckon it's the best way to lure a top quality player for a relatively bargain price. Every time I've seen him get a run in the pack, he's played very well. There have been tons of large body wingers who've come in and made literally great 2nd rowers (Toots Snr, Luke Lewis, Wighton would/could be in another life).

He's always banging on about being a 2nd rower, just might work. We've always been a club that does better when getting creative with signings.
I can see that. its similar to how i think euan aitken would be much better off moving into the middle.
Dont delete this GE
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Interesting part is that the problems Oates has on the wing would not be as big an issue in the 2nd row. I'm on board for this concept.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

I’m still thinking Taikangi is the type of player we should be looking at. I think he would make a seriously good second rower in the modern game, already has edge defence sorted, big/fast body with ball playing ability and utility value. And isn’t getting regular minutes at the Eels.

Sign him up Donny, worst case he just replaces Scott because Huddo owns the second row spot after this stint.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Coastalraider wrote: July 6, 2020, 1:22 pm I’m still thinking Taikangi is the type of player we should be looking at. I think he would make a seriously good second rower in the modern game, already has edge defence sorted, big/fast body with ball playing ability and utility value. And isn’t getting regular minutes at the Eels.

Sign him up Donny, worst case he just replaces Scott because Huddo owns the second row spot after this stint.
There are a few Eels to look at.
Alvaro... no clue whats going on there, but he is a Tolman, big min type guy. Can fire up on occasion and be impactful.
Gower can plug a hole in the middle. Kinda a Lui type guy though.
Terepo, who re-signed there only 18 months ago, but is short of a run, and can be physical with and without the ball.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Matt wrote: July 6, 2020, 3:05 pm
Coastalraider wrote: July 6, 2020, 1:22 pm I’m still thinking Taikangi is the type of player we should be looking at. I think he would make a seriously good second rower in the modern game, already has edge defence sorted, big/fast body with ball playing ability and utility value. And isn’t getting regular minutes at the Eels.

Alvaro... no clue whats going on there, but he is a Tolman, big min type guy. Can fire up on occasion and be impactful.
Terepo, who re-signed there only 18 months ago, but is short of a run, and can be physical with and without the ball.
ive wanted us to sign terepo before, and nothing has changed
Dont delete this GE
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Matt wrote:

Gower is also 34

If we could get Alvaro I'd be happy

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-TW- wrote:
Matt wrote:

Gower is also 34

If we could get Alvaro I'd be happy

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
lovely cover drive though

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Not a huge fan of those guys... if we're trying to replace JB,we need more than what Alvaro and Gower can give us

Terepo i have some mild interest in. He's got a little something in him.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

There’s a reason why the eels have become a better side without those players playing key roles.

Hard pass on all of them.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

GreenMachine wrote: July 6, 2020, 9:14 pm There’s a reason why the eels have become a better side without those players playing key roles.

Hard pass on all of them.
Agreed.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

They’d plug a hole as a loan deal as it currently stands though.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Northern Raider wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 4, 2020, 6:55 am
FROG wrote:What are peoples thoughts on isaiah Papali'i? Off contract still very young and loads of experience including games for the kiwis. Wouldnt come cheap but youd have to think weve got a charnze given he has a few mates with us and are in much better shape then the warriors. Thoughts

Also can you imagine having 2 papas in the front row!! What a sight to be seen
Only if they make an effort to pass to one another, just to hear Rabs have a stroke trying to call it.

The world missed a similar opportunity when Keary and Tuqiri were at Souths. They needed a set play off a scrum where Tuqiri played the ball, passed it to Keary who passed it to Tuqiri who taps back to Keary to score
How long have you been sitting on that one?
I have a new one, a tv show idea. My Cocaine with Michael Caine. Show opens with Michael saying “Welcome to My Cocaine with Michael Caine. I’m Michael Caine, and this (Camera pans out) is my Cocaine.”
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 6, 2020, 10:23 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 4, 2020, 6:55 am
FROG wrote:What are peoples thoughts on isaiah Papali'i? Off contract still very young and loads of experience including games for the kiwis. Wouldnt come cheap but youd have to think weve got a charnze given he has a few mates with us and are in much better shape then the warriors. Thoughts

Also can you imagine having 2 papas in the front row!! What a sight to be seen
Only if they make an effort to pass to one another, just to hear Rabs have a stroke trying to call it.

The world missed a similar opportunity when Keary and Tuqiri were at Souths. They needed a set play off a scrum where Tuqiri played the ball, passed it to Keary who passed it to Tuqiri who taps back to Keary to score
How long have you been sitting on that one?
I have a new one, a tv show idea. My Cocaine with Michael Caine. Show opens with Michael saying “Welcome to My Cocaine with Michael Caine. I’m Michael Caine, and this (Camera pans out) is my Cocaine.”
GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

simo wrote: July 6, 2020, 3:26 pm
Matt wrote: July 6, 2020, 3:05 pm

ive wanted us to sign terepo before, and nothing has changed
I did too. I did that scouting thread just before he re-signed, so about 2yrs ago
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I was against signing Terepo as part of the top 17 but in current circumstances he would be a very good addition.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

on a short deal Manu Ma'u? he's at Hull

Edrick The Entertainer
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I'd be looking at somebody from Manly for the right price, their forwards have proved over at least a couple years now that they work hard and aim up. Sironen, Thompson and Gosiewski all off contract in 2021 if we're looking at second rowers. I think Paseka would be a good pick up as a middle too - also off contract next year.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

bonehead wrote: July 7, 2020, 8:54 am on a short deal Manu Ma'u? he's at Hull

That would be a great pickup. Awesome player when he was at the Eels.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

bonehead wrote: July 7, 2020, 8:54 am on a short deal Manu Ma'u? he's at Hull

Great idea. One of my favourite non Raiders.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Paseka is a fraud imo.