Expectations for George Williams

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Admittedly when we signed George Williams I was stoked. Sezer was in deeply mediocre form and we weren't necessarily looking like soon to be Grand Finalists. We had signed an English international who was in somewhat erratic form in the ESL but was widely regarded as the best half in the comp.

6 months on we made a GF with a solid and defensively sound Sezer at half, Williams couldn't crack a dreadful Great Britain halves pairing and I have read comments on social media and forums alike that suggest G Willy is going to fall to the English halves in the NRL curse- "He doesn't have the defence blah blah blah". I have hardly ever seen G Willy play so by my own admission I can't say if this is valid or not.

So what are our expectations for George Williams? Is he going to be a player to light up the league? Are we only expecting a slight upgrade on Sezer and thus slight improvements in our halves game? How are two five eighths going to compliment Hodgson? Is his defensive game going to need addressing?

And finally are we going to have to be super patient with G Willy? He is coming into a much stronger league, however into a team which really should be a Premiership contender this season.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Expectations for George Williams

Post by -PJ- »

He needs to be 300% on Sezer and real quick.

We are in the premiership window..right now..

And can't afford to carry GWilly for 12 months.

He's here to improve the roster..no excuses I'll call.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

-PJ- wrote: December 28, 2019, 3:15 pm He needs to be 300% on Sezer and real quick.

Why does he have to be 300% on Sezer? We almost won the whole comp with Sezer so I’d have thought an extra 20% would get us there. Particularly if CNK, Jack and the young forwards improve as hoped.

For me, I hope he is strong enough in defence that we don’t have to cover for him and is a genuine consistent attacking threat that means the opposition defence can’t focus on our left only and that he can turn possession in our attacking 30m into points.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

I think he definitely gives us the attacking spark we need. Essentially this year all of our attack came from hodgo; so shut him down, rush him, he’s having a rubbish day etc then you kind of shut down our attacking structure bar some individual brilliance.
With GWilly he is instinctive from what I’ve seen and a creator. He runs; he sets others up, great short kicking game.... as long as defends and can game manage as needed then I can’t see him being in anyway a bust
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Ruben Daley wrote: December 28, 2019, 3:23 pm
-PJ- wrote: December 28, 2019, 3:15 pm He needs to be 300% on Sezer and real quick.

Why does he have to be 300% on Sezer? We almost won the whole comp with Sezer so I’d have thought an extra 20% would get us there. Particularly if CNK, Jack and the young forwards improve as hoped.

For me, I hope he is strong enough in defence that we don’t have to cover for him and is a genuine consistent attacking threat that means the opposition defence can’t focus on our left only and that he can turn possession in our attacking 30m into points.
Really Rubén..

You don't think GWilliams is an instant upgrade ?
Sezer was let go to accomodate this move

A current international, bought over here to wearing #7 in the NRL.

I mean come on, I know Sezer is a Turkish superstar but geez mate...

If George fails here.. we are screwed..

He needs to hit the ground running I reckon..it's now for us !!!
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Defence needs to be solid, can't have another Austin style turnstyle. Smart kicking game, good ball to outside backs, ability to grab a game by the scruff of the neck and good running game are all important - and all things he has shown in the UK. It will take him time to adapt here though (I'd expect at least half a season), and it is a gamble that may not pay off - but I understand the decision. Sezer wasn't delivering consistently.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

As I said in another thread - all he has to do, at least initially, is make his tackles and ensure his mid/short kicking game is accurate. The other stuff will come over time, but those two are essential right away.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Sezer was good for us throughout the whole finals series and fair dinkum I'd be happy with the decision if we'd kept him.

There's absolutely no doubt GWilly was bought here to improve the squad, staff saw that straight from the get go.

And remember..GWilly was actually signed ages ago and at the time Sezer was throwing up all sorts of form. But like I said..Sezer was awesome for us, the win at Peptide park is squarely on him, he was fantastic, won us the game. There's heaps of weight on GWilly, the expectations are high..

He needs to find the groove and lead us to this premiership..

We want a premiership.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He should improve the team and as long as he does that, the Raiders are right in the mix for another top four finish... and right in the mix for a premiership.
Grün Maschine
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Grün Maschine »

Is Widdop the only Pommy NRl premiership winning half so far?

Can George be second, i hope so
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Sezer was an 8 out of 10 in defence, but only a 5 in attack.

As long as G Williams can be a 6 in defence, I think he will definitely improve our goal line attack and short kicking game.

But Sezer was pretty good over the second half of the season and certainly was reliable.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Grün Maschine wrote:Is Widdop the only Pommy NRl premiership winning half so far?

Can George be second, i hope so

If you’re talking NRL era I would think Widdop is the only English half to have played in the NRL.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

- as a defender, i expect him to hold his own defensively in the NRL, I dont expect Sezer level defence... he just cant be Austin/Williams level. League average is fine. Williams and Austin both had issues reading the play and were timid physical defenders. If he can communicate effectively, read, react and be aggressive at the point of contact, that'll go a long, long way

- as an attacker, i want him to keep it pretty simple. Play what's in front of him. Establish himself as a ball runner early, be willing to take the line on and engage the line as a ball player. From there, just read and react. Run if they over commit on the outside, hit the edge forward if he's isolated on a half, hit the fullback or centre early if that's where the space and numbers are.

- as a kicker, this is where i want and expect the most from him. It would be good if he ends up being a good reliable second/third option in the long kicking game behind Wighton and Hodgson, but it's inside the red zone where he's needed. We need to force more repeat sets and put the ball into positions for our guys to make plays. Be that high, and having those footballs landing consistently at the 1-2 metre line, or along the ground and getting it through the front line. The biggest issue Sezer had last year was his grubbers consistently found feet and his inside 15 chip game was WILDLY inconsistent, this is where George has got to be a major upgrade for us and if he is, the downgrade in defence will be more than overcome

If he's a net positive upgrade over Sezer, this team SHOULD be back competing for a title
If we're at round 16, and there is a genuine debate about whether Sam should play, we're cooked and our window might be closed.
It's a lot of pressure
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

-PJ- wrote: December 28, 2019, 3:50 pm

Really Rubén..

I think GWilly is a red-hot chance of being an upgrade (and I’m probably more of a fan of Sezer than most). I’ve liked everything I’ve seen about him so far and am generally optimistic.

I was just curious about your statement that he needs to be 300% on Sezer. That read like anything less and we’ve got no chance. My point was we were really close last year so we don’t need a guy who’s three times better than Sezer in order to win the premiership.

Also, I liked what you did with my name. Makes me feel a bit more sophisticated.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

The next ‘next Greg Inglis’
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

This myth of Aidan Sezer being a brilliant defender just keeps on growing and growing. He'll be Dean Lance wearing #7 in a few months time at this rate.

As for George - I am quietly confident that he will suceed, based on what I've seen of his skill set. We will need to be patient though - new country, new league, new team, most important position on the park. I won't be suprised if he needs a few months to bed in, especially with such a short pre-season.

Without passing judgement on his defence, which by reports from the ESL was quite strong, we need to get rid of this expectation that halves must be able to tackle almost like second rowers. It's absurd and to me a reason why the system is now producing such poor, cookie cutter halves. James Maloney can barely tackle a 50kg mannequin but you'd snap someone's arm off if they offered you to shake on a deal for him. If the half is of the right quality that fits the fundamental definition of a halfback, they must be fit in.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

To lead us to the 2020 premiership

Or he can be on the boat home

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

-TW- wrote: December 28, 2019, 9:57 pm To lead us to the 2020 premiership

Jack Wighton will lead us to a premiership before George Williams does. George just needs to play his part.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Your utter inability to recognise the strengths, any strengths of Sezer is one of the great features of the Greenhouse in 2019. For what it is worth, in my opinion that inability completely clouds the validity of all your other judgements on the game.
But, be that as it may, have a happy New Year.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

He'll need 6-8 weeks to bed in - especially as Bateman, who will be his key man, is still over here.

After that, I'm confident he'll be the best half at Canberra. At his best, he's a class above Wighton.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Ruben Daley wrote: December 28, 2019, 9:31 pm
-PJ- wrote: December 28, 2019, 3:50 pm

Really Rubén..

I think GWilly is a red-hot chance of being an upgrade (and I’m probably more of a fan of Sezer than most). I’ve liked everything I’ve seen about him so far and am generally optimistic.

I was just curious about your statement that he needs to be 300% on Sezer. That read like anything less and we’ve got no chance. My point was we were really close last year so we don’t need a guy who’s three times better than Sezer in order to win the premiership.

Also, I liked what you did with my name. Makes me feel a bit more sophisticated.
300% was just a number I plucked mate.
GWilly needs to lead us to the promised land.

We have a squad ready to win a GF and he's a current test player, that's exciting for us..

Happy Easter Rubén..🍺
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: December 28, 2019, 9:45 pmwe need to get rid of this expectation that halves must be able to tackle almost like second rowers...
Literally NO ONE.
Not a single soul.
Not one person.

Has ever said this.

All we're asking is that as defenders they arent so bad that they are constantly and relentlessly targetted to great effect, like Sam Williams and Blake Austin have been. That's it. Dont be one of worst defensive halves in the league, just be average.

What's wild is that you literally just saw how important that was for this team. How much easier is to sustain success when you're a structurally sound defensive team, and yet you're still in complete denial. Wild.

You're trumpeting Maloney as some sort of evidenced that halves dont have to defend... You're talking about one of the best attacking footballers in the modern game. JT couldnt defend particularly well either... No one cared because they're actually ELITE, top of the range play makers... if George Williams comes here and is a Dally M/Best player in the world sort of play maker, no one will give a **** how he defends.

If he cant defend at a league average NRL level, and he's not an elite NRL play maker, then he's a liability and a flop as a signing.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’ve heard both Bennett and Gould praise Sezer’s defensive reads and tackling technique.

But alphabet has some sort of pathological issue with Sezer that borders on bizarre. I thought it may stop now that Sezer has gone but maybe only on the tenth anniversary of Aiden’s confirmed burial.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Relax guys.

This time last year we were wondering how we would field a starting side with no fullback on the books, hoping that Bateman would be a good signing and that Jack wouldn’t embarrass himself.

This year we are wondering where we find space for an emerging blues centre.

But most of all we are wondering if our new recruit, a current international half, who last season led his team to a SL title, and has recent playing history with ALL our poms is going to be able to pass muster in a team that places less pressure on our halves to run a team than most sides in the comp.

We are sweet. Enjoy Christmas, have a great new year.

2020 is the year of the Raider.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

How did you get through the last 25 years and not become emotionally damaged about the Raiders Coastal?
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

gangrenous wrote: December 29, 2019, 5:20 pm How did you get through the last 25 years and not become emotionally damaged about the Raiders Coastal? Image
Mind altering substances from my 20s created a void of memory.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Botman wrote: December 29, 2019, 3:28 pm
afgtnk wrote: December 28, 2019, 9:45 pmwe need to get rid of this expectation that halves must be able to tackle almost like second rowers...
Literally NO ONE.
Not a single soul.
Not one person.

Has ever said this.

All we're asking is that as defenders they arent so bad that they are constantly and relentlessly targetted to great effect, like Sam Williams and Blake Austin have been. That's it. Dont be one of worst defensive halves in the league, just be average.

What's wild is that you literally just saw how important that was for this team. How much easier is to sustain success when you're a structurally sound defensive team, and yet you're still in complete denial. Wild.

You're trumpeting Maloney as some sort of evidenced that halves dont have to defend... You're talking about one of the best attacking footballers in the modern game. JT couldnt defend particularly well either... No one cared because they're actually ELITE, top of the range play makers... if George Williams comes here and is a Dally M/Best player in the world sort of play maker, no one will give a **** how he defends.

If he cant defend at a league average NRL level, and he's not an elite NRL play maker, then he's a liability and a flop as a signing.
We were structurally sound because we as a team, by our own admission, spent roughly 85% of the last pre-season working on our defensive as unit - in particular defensive situations under heavy pressure and fatigure. It had far less to do with the individuals, and far more to do with the collective.

We can talk about Austin and Williams all we like, but the fact is there is no chance we defend like we did this year without the prior work we did, and every chance we'd defend significantly better than last year even with the likes of Blake Austin out there.

In a solid, well drilled defensive unit, players on an individual basis should almost be interchangeable whilst still maintaining the integrity of the unit. That is the entire point of the whole thing.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

afgtnk wrote: December 29, 2019, 5:31 pm
Literally NO ONE.
Not a single soul.
Not one person.

Has ever said this.

We were structurally sound because we as a team, by our own admission, spent roughly 85% of the last pre-season working on our defensive as unit - in particular defensive situations under heavy pressure and fatigure. It had far less to do with the individuals, and far more to do with the collective. We can talk about Austin and Williams all we like, but the fact is there is no chance we defend like we did this year without the work we did, and every chance we'd defend significantly better than last year even with the likes of Blake Austin out there.

In a solid, well drilled defensive unit, players on an individual basis should almost be interchangeable whilst still maintaining the integrity of the unit. That is the entire point of the whole thing.
Sam Williams did the same preseason as Sezer.

Sezer was a better defender.

End of story.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Coastalraider wrote: December 29, 2019, 5:44 pm
Literally NO ONE.
Not a single soul.
Not one person.

Has ever said this.

We were structurally sound because we as a team, by our own admission, spent roughly 85% of the last pre-season working on our defensive as unit - in particular defensive situations under heavy pressure and fatigure. It had far less to do with the individuals, and far more to do with the collective. We can talk about Austin and Williams all we like, but the fact is there is no chance we defend like we did this year without the work we did, and every chance we'd defend significantly better than last year even with the likes of Blake Austin out there.

End of story.
That has nothing to do with anything.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

afgtnk wrote: December 29, 2019, 5:44 pm
Literally NO ONE.
Not a single soul.
Not one person.

Has ever said this.

End of story.
You’re stating our defence was better last year because the team focused on it in preseason and tackled as a unit. That’s 100% true.

It is also true that Sammy did the SAME preseason, focused on it and tackled within the same unit - and was a weaker defender and that ultimately led to Sezer regaining his spot.

Thinking that sezer is NOT a better than average defender is simply misguided. And I think we are better off without the bloke as he had continuously failed to deliver over his time here. But he was definitely one of the better defensive halves in the comp.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

-TW- wrote:To lead us to the 2020 premiership

Sid wrote:The next ‘next Greg Inglis’
Assuming TW means George can go via his own boat, looks like you both want the same thing
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

I went on the record early. I like him. I think he has all the skills.
In particular for our team, great short kicking game, and short and long pass which gets mixed up with a strong running game.
As I've previously mentioned, it will really come down to the mental side. How hungry, how determined, how focused he is on the improvements he's going to need to make and the pressure he's going to be under in the NRL.
That's the impossible thing to predict as a person that has only watched his games on TV. And it's probably the most important thing.
He has played in 4 grand finals and won 2, and played for his country and he's only 25, so I'm backing him in.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I hope he goes well, and we can get a decent group of people to get “Toss a ball to your Williams. O’Hodgo and Jackie” happening as a chant

**Edit** Whipped this up

Last edited by FuiFui BradBrad on December 29, 2019, 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Coastalraider wrote: December 29, 2019, 5:51 pm
afgtnk wrote: December 29, 2019, 5:44 pm

Literally NO ONE.
Not a single soul.
Not one person.

Has ever said this.

End of story.
You’re stating our defence was better last year because the team focused on it in preseason and tackled as a unit. That’s 100% true.

It is also true that Sammy did the SAME preseason, focused on it and tackled within the same unit - and was a weaker defender and that ultimately led to Sezer regaining his spot.

Thinking that sezer is NOT a better than average defender is simply misguided. And I think we are better off without the bloke as he had continuously failed to deliver over his time here. But he was definitely one of the better defensive halves in the comp.
And our defence with Sam in it this year was far better than it was at any point last year. See the point I'm trying to make?

I'm not saying Sezer is a weak defender and I don't think I've ever said that. I'm saying he's well overrated given the kind of praise thrown towards him here - he is not amongst the top defensive halfbacks, and no metric backs that up as it would if he were. Think this stems from fans being unable to find other facets of his game to praise, so it all gets channelled into one of the few things he's decent at. He is, obviously, still better than Williams in that regard.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Agadododo still fighting the good fight.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.