POLL: Canberra Raiders 2010s Team of the Decade: Centres

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who should be the centres in the Canberra Raiders Team of the 2010s?

Jarrod Croker
49%
Joel Thompson
2%
Jack Wighton
1%
Blake Ferguson
4%
Joseph Leilua
45%

Total votes: 121

greeneyed
Don Furner

POLL: Canberra Raiders 2010s Team of the Decade: Centres

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders 2010s Team of the Decade: Centres

It has been 10 years since The Greenhouse voted on the Canberra Raiders Team of the Decade - for the 2000s. Back in 2009, Adam Mogg and Joel Monaghan were voted Canberra Raiders Centres of the 2000s. Now it is time to vote on the Centres of the 2010s!

Here are the nominees:

Jarrod Croker

Jarrod Croker has made 257 appearances for the Canberra Raiders, the second most capped player in club history. He debuted on the wing in Round 2 of 2009 against the Roosters, but he has played at centre in every subsequent first grade match. He holds the club record for most tries (127), most goals (744) and most points (1996). He also holds the club record for most points in a season (295 in 2016). He won the Meninga Medal in 2014, and has twice been named the Fans' Choice Player of the Year (2013, 2014). He was named club captain prior to the commencement of the 2015 season, sharing the duties with Josh Hodgson from 2019. He is a Canberra Raiders junior from Goulburn - and was part of the premiership winning National Youth Competition in 2008. He was an Australian Schoolboys and NSW U18s representative. At senior level, he has represented NSW Country, the Prime Minister's XIII and the All Stars. Croker was named Dally M Captain of the Year and Provan Summons Medalist in 2016. He has played in nine finals matches for Canberra (2010, 2012, 2016, 2019), culminating in the 2019 Grand Final.

Joel Thompson

Joel Thompson made 89 appearances for the Raiders at NRL level, 41 of them at centre. He made his NRL debut in Round 26 of 2008, against the Bulldogs. He played 79 games in the 2010s, 40 at centre, mostly during the 2010-11. He predominantly played in the back row in his final two seasons with the Green Machine, departing for the St George Illawarra Dragons at the end of 2013. He scored 28 tries, for a total . He made two finals appearances for Canberra, in 2012, in the second row. He represented NSW Country and the Indigenous All Stars while with the Raiders.

Jack Wighton

Jack Wighton debuted on the wing in 2012 and played in the outside backs for his first two seasons in first grade. He has played 21 of his 156 matches at centre - but is much better known as a fullback and five eighth. He was tried at five eighth at the start of 2014 and played the first nine games of the season in the No. 6. However, that was not a successful move and he shifted back to centre in Round 10. He moved to fullback for the first time in Round 24 in 2014 and became the regular fullback in 2015. He played 85 of his 156 matches with the Raiders at fullback, before successfully shifting to five eighth in 2019. In that year, he helped the club qualify for the its first grand final in 25 years - and he was awarded the Clive Churchill Medal for the best on field in the premiership decider. He also broke into the New South Wales Blues and Australian Kangaroos teams in 2019 - at centre. Wighton has scored seven tries at centre for Canberra.

Blake Ferguson

Blake Ferguson played 60 games for the Canberra Raiders after joining the club from the Cronulla Sharks in 2011. While he is mostly recognised as a winger, he played 27 of his matches in green at centre. He scored a total of 36 tries and 14 goals for Canberra - with 22 of those tries and all 14 goals scored at centre. He was the club's top try scorer in both 2011 and 2013. He represented the Indigenous All Stars, NSW Country and the NSW Blues while at the Raiders. He left the club in controversial circumstances, charged with indecent assault after his Origin debut, and then walking out on his contract at the end of 2013. He played two finals matches for Canberra at centre in 2012.

Joseph Leilua

Joseph "Joey" Leilua joined the Canberra Raiders mid-season from the Newcastle Knights in 2015 - and became Jarrod Croker's regular centre partner. He debuted for the Raiders in Round 16 against the Warriors on the bench, going on to play 91 games in green to date. He has played all but two of those matches at centre. He was forced at the last second, to start on the bench in the 2019 Week 1 finals match against the Storm, after debris from fireworks lodged in his eye. He has made six finals appearances for Canberra, in 2016 and 2019 - including the 2019 Grand Final. He has scored 39 tries for a total of 156 points for the Green Machine. His partnership with winger Jordan Rapana became known as "Leipana", becoming the most dangerous attacking edge in the NRL in 2016.

You have TWO votes in this poll. You may change your vote.

See the list of all the Canberra Raiders players of the 2010s... and the results of the polls as they unfold: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33793
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: POLL: Canberra Raiders 2010s Team of the Decade: Centres

Post by BadnMean »

Joey and Toots.

Ferguson honourable mention but was mostly a winger, Joey was better, for longer.

As for Fergo's off the field but still club affecting actions- he's in the hall of shame. What a twerp. Spat on fans, gave the finger to the club. Grub.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Don't forget, you have two votes in this poll. Joel Monaghan played 17 games at centre in 2010, but that was not enough matches to qualify in the poll.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

That's a strong field.
Fergo was brilliant, as disrespectful as he was at the end, his high points were probably the highest of the lot. Can't select him though for all of the bad culture he helped develop and his eventual walkout on the team.

Croker has been rock solid. Very important to the team, but sits in a tough field. EDIT, I can vote twice so he's in.

BJ has been the best. Try scorer and also try creation. Involvement in go forward through strong runs in the middle of the park. Teams would kill for a centre that gets involved the way he does in the hard work. He's given me incredible enjoyment to watch and who can forget the behind the back pass to Rapana against the Tigers, or the flick to Bateman in Melbourne.
One of my favourite ever Raiders.
Get back the Ten
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: John Bateman

Post by Get back the Ten »

Ferguson was brilliant competing for the ball after high bombs and he was part of dorguson which was the dominant centre/wing partnership of the time.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Yeah BJ and Croker.

Fergo will always be a winger in my head during his time here, and he loses points for being a clown.

The next ones are going to be interesting and hard!
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

BJ/JC

NEXT
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

BJ and Toots in that order. Fergo had the best individual season but did too much damage when he left.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

There’s a chance Jack could be Fullback, Five Eighth, Centre and Winger of the decade...
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: December 12, 2019, 5:13 pm There’s a chance Jack could be Fullback, Five Eighth, Centre and Winger of the decade...
He won’t be in the poll for wingers... as he only played 14 games there.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Skill wise it's BJ and Ferguson, even though they're two right centres.

BJ in form is genuinely one of the best centres in the game, and there was a time Sticky Fingers could lay those claims when he was with us - he was destroying teams at will.

That being said, Fingers is in the Dugan pile, Wighton barely played there, and Thompson was merely a stop gap. It'll be BJ and Croker for the purposes of this exercise.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Ferguson was brilliant for us, but....

BJ has been just as good, and Croker is basically the Raiders all time record holder for everything, so hard to pass up.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Beej and Croker.
Next
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote:Beej and Croker.
Next
And so we continue with today’s episode of “Botman picks the 2019 side and the rest of you are EDIT”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Heres a harder one. Who is the other center besides Mal in the all time team out of Beej or Croker?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote: December 13, 2019, 6:39 am Heres a harder one. Who is the other center besides Mal in the all time team out of Beej or Croker?
It’s not difficult, Croker.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

edwahu wrote:Heres a harder one. Who is the other center besides Mal in the all time team out of Beej or Croker?
Ruben Wiki of course. Loved him in the centres.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: December 13, 2019, 7:02 am
edwahu wrote:Heres a harder one. Who is the other center besides Mal in the all time team out of Beej or Croker?
Ruben Wiki of course. Loved him in the centres.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
35 Year Dream Team: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=31412

We vote on the 40 Year Dream Team at the end of 2021.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: December 13, 2019, 6:28 am
Next
And so we continue with today’s episode of “Botman picks the 2019 side and the rest of you are EDIT”

I voted Milford for fullback over CNK
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

greeneyed wrote: December 13, 2019, 6:50 am
edwahu wrote: December 13, 2019, 6:39 am Heres a harder one. Who is the other center besides Mal in the all time team out of Beej or Croker?
Really don't think an all-time team should have players who haven't been able to muster a rep jersey in their career. Our current all-time team is littered with players who reached the pinnacle.

If it's based on longevitity and being a good bloke, guys like Tonguey should then be in the mix too.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

The Nickman wrote:
Next

Wait, wait... so this gets edited but it’s perfectly acceptable for people to call me this term?

Yeah righto, Ferg. Tute on, pal!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote:
The Nickman wrote: December 13, 2019, 6:28 am
Next

I voted Milford for fullback over CNK
Thanks dubs
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Fairgoitall
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Fair and just, as always, old friend.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: December 13, 2019, 8:12 am
Really don't think an all-time team should have players who haven't been able to muster a rep jersey in their career. Our current all-time team is littered with players who reached the pinnacle.

If it's based on longevitity and being a good bloke, guys like Tonguey should then be in the mix too.
It's a good question re: all time team
In terms of an all time team, i agree, but actually Mal aside, it's not been super great at centre for us.
Beej isnt littered with rep honours and although at their peak Beej is definitely more destructive, Croker's club resume out does his comfortably...

Wiki would be an option but i think most, rightly put him in the forward pack... Other than that it's Wighton who's virtually never played there at club level but will likely rack up decent amount of rep games there, so that's an option (having a CCM in his back pocket helps his cause)
Joel Monaghan is an option but despite having some rep jumpers, i dont know that he is any better or worse than Croker, and again the resume isnt quite there at club level
Adam Mogg?

I dunno, unless you throw in an extra forward (maybe a John Bateman when it's all said and done?) and shift Wiki to the centre spot, or you just think the spot goes to Wighton, i dont know if there is a better option in the all time team than Croker. It's basically him, Wighton (though i dont think he should be considered given he only has about 20 games for the club there but others might disagree with me on disqualifying him for that), Mongahan, Mogg or Beej... None of those other guys were consistent superstars, and Croker is going to retire with basically every record the club has.

edit: You could probably go with Badge at fullback and Mullins in the centres with Mal? that might be the best option right now. Im sure GE can speak to it better but Peter Jackson is probably a good shout too, he was a little before my time so i dont have a strong view on that
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

This is the Raiders team of the decade. Not rep team of the decade. Club performance counts 100% towards the outcome.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote: December 13, 2019, 11:25 am

In terms of an all time team, i agree, but actually Mal aside, it's not been super great at centre for us.
Beej isnt littered with rep honours and although at their peak Beej is definitely more destructive, Croker's club resume out does his comfortably...

Wiki would be an option but i think most, rightly put him in the forward pack... Other than that it's Wighton who's virtually never played there at club level but will likely rack up decent amount of rep games there, so that's an option (having a CCM in his back pocket helps his cause)
Joel Monaghan is an option but despite having some rep jumpers, i dont know that he is any better or worse than Croker, and again the resume isnt quite there at club level
Adam Mogg?

I dunno, unless you throw in an extra forward (maybe a John Bateman when it's all said and done?) and shift Wiki to the centre spot, or you just think the spot goes to Wighton, i dont know if there is a better option in the all time team than Croker. It's basically him, Wighton (though i dont think he should be considered given he only has about 20 games for the club there but others might disagree with me on disqualifying him for that), Mongahan, Mogg or Beej... None of those other guys were consistent superstars, and Croker is going to retire with basically every record the club has.

edit: You could probably go with Badge at fullback and Mullins in the centres with Mal? that might be the best option right now. Im sure GE can speak to it better but Peter Jackson is probably a good shout too, he was a little before my time so i dont have a strong view on that
All that rambling aside, the correct answer is Jarrod Croker.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

The Nickman wrote: December 13, 2019, 12:51 pm

Adam Mogg?

Pretty hard to leave out the guy who owns all the club records. Yes all those other guys are talented and special in their own right, but Im with Nickman
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Adam Mogg?

Peter Jackson was Meninga’s Centre partner in the 25 and 30 Year Dream Team: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=21084

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=21854

Deservedly so.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Matt wrote: December 13, 2019, 12:58 pm
The Nickman wrote: December 13, 2019, 12:51 pm

Adam Mogg?

Pretty hard to leave out the guy who owns all the club records. Yes all those other guys are talented and special in their own right, but Im with Nickman
I love Croker but if the all-time team only got to play one game and my life-savings were riding on the outcome...I reckon I'd pick BJ.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Gary Belcher
Mal Meninga
Ricky Stuart
Laurie Daley
Glenn Lazarus
Steve Walters
Bradley Clyde
etc

Jarrod Croker

Please - get real. This **** has gone way too far.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Ruben Daley wrote:I love Croker but if the all-time team only got to play one game and my life-savings were riding on the outcome...I reckon I'd pick BJ.
we had a one game winner takes all high stakes scenario pretty recently... and at least in that one, Croker played the house down and Beej blew a try that would have given us a lead, so I’ve sort of cooled on that
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Adam Mogg?

I don't think there's anyone worthy of replacing Jackson tbh.

If we got into a measuring contest with fans of other teams RE who beats who, which happens from time to time, who would we be putting up in the position?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

BJ has been a bit unlucky not to play more Origin. Seems he was blacklisted after he decided to not show up to that camp a few years back. He is regularly Samoas best player as well.

However if you're picking an all time team to beat another teams best then Croker does have the advantage of being easily the best goal kicker with a shot of selection.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote:Gary Belcher
Mal Meninga
Ricky Stuart
Laurie Daley
Glenn Lazarus
Steve Walters
Bradley Clyde
etc

Jarrod Croker

Please - get real. This **** has gone way too far.
And in your list, Croker is the second best centre

Absolutely nailed it, old friend