POLL: Canberra Raiders 2010s Team of the Decade: Hooker

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who should be the hooker in the Canberra Raiders Team of the 2010s?

Alan Tongue
6%
Glen Buttriss
8%
Travis Waddell
5%
Josh Hodgson
82%

Total votes: 66

greeneyed
Don Furner

POLL: Canberra Raiders 2010s Team of the Decade: Hooker

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders 2010s Team of the Decade: Hooker

It has been 10 years since The Greenhouse voted on the Canberra Raiders Team of the Decade - for the 2000s. Back in 2009, Simon Woolford was voted Canberra Raiders Hooker of the 2000s. Now it is time to vote on the Hooker of the 2010s!

Here are the nominees:

Alan Tongue

Alan Tongue played 220 games for the Canberra Raiders, after making his debut in 2000 and winning the Raiders' Rookie of the Year Award. He first played at hooker in 2002 (three matches) and went on to play 50 first game matches in that role. He was primarily a second rower or lock - often playing off the bench in his early years. However, he mainly played in the No. 9 jersey from mid 2009, playing 24 games at dummy half in the 2010s. Tongue retired at the end of 2011, having scored 31 tries and one field goal, for 125 points. He won the Raiders' Player of the Year in 2006, and the Dally M Lock of the Year and Captain of the Year in 2008. He played one game for NSW Country, at lock, in 2009. He played six finals games for the Raiders over five seasons - and one in 2010, off the bench, in the clash with the Wests Tigers at Canberra Stadium.

Glen Buttriss

Glen Buttriss played 119 games for the Canberra Raiders, including 82 as starting hooker. He also often played off the bench at dummy half. He made his debut for Canberra in Round 6 of 2008, against the Melbourne Storm at Canberra Stadium. He scored seven tries, for a total 28 points. He made finals appearances for the Green Machine, including four as starting hooker in the 2010s - the 2010 finals clashes against the Panthers and the Tigers, and the 2012 finals against the Sharks and Rabbitohs.

Travis Waddell

Travis Waddell made 53 appearances at NRL level for the Canberra Raiders, including 25 as starting hooker and the remainder on the bench. He played for Canberra's National Youth Competition team in 2008 and 2009 - and was part of the inaugural NYC premiership side. He was also named at hooker in the NYC Team of the Year in 2009. He made his first grade debut in Round 3 of 2009, against the Eels. He broke his jaw in 2010, but still played 17 NRL games. He only made five first grade appearances in 2011, spending much of the year with Souths Logan. He played 21 games in his final season with the club, before departing for the Newcastle Knights at the end of 2012. He scored three tries for a total of 12 points for the Green Machine. Waddell played in one finals match for Canberra - off the bench in the 2010 clash with the Panthers at Penrith.

Josh Hodgson

Josh Hodgson joined the Canberra Raiders in 2015, from Hull Kingston Rovers. Has gone on to play 108 matches in green over five seasons. He has played the majority of matches in each of those seasons, with the exception of 2018. He spent half of that season on the sidelines, after suffering an ACL injury in a the World Cup semi final against Tonga at the end of 2017. He made an immediate impression in the NRL - and was a leading contender for the Dally M Player of the Year in 2016. He was an integral part of the club's second placed finish in that season. He has played in six finals games for Canberra, three in 2016, with the club progressing as far at the Preliminary Final against the Storm. Hodgson became co-captain with Jarrod Croker in 2019, and helped lead the Raiders to the Grand Final. He has scored 13 tries for Canberra, for a total of 52 points. He has played 20 Tests for England and Great Britain while playing at Canberra.

You have ONE vote in this poll. You may change your vote.

See the list of all the Canberra Raiders players of the 2010s... and the results of the polls as they unfold: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33793
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders 2010s Team of the Decade: Hooker

Post by greeneyed »

Another simple one! For those wondering, Siliva Havili and Kurt Baptiste only qualify for a bench hooker/utility nomination.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Glen Buttriss in a canter

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Man, I forgot about Waddell
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Tonguey is a Raiders great, but that is a sorry sorry list.

Hodgo even with a busted thumb and dodgy ankle is better than the rest.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Campaigning for Butts here. That Hodgson bloke is a hack.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Get back the Ten
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: John Bateman

Post by Get back the Ten »

Alan Tongue he played in team that lacked star power but he always sparkled!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I voted for Glenny B... nobody can quite smash a seafood buffet than Glenny B.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Get back the Ten wrote: December 11, 2019, 3:54 pm Alan Tongue he played in team that lacked star power but he always sparkled!
..... except at hooker.

He was truly horrible in that position.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

I feel sorry for Tonguey that the end of his career was diminished by playing out of position.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

This poll needs more Mick Picker

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: December 11, 2019, 4:31 pm I voted for Glenny B... nobody can quite smash a seafood buffet than Glenny B.
Guttriss.
My one and only.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Ruben Daley wrote: December 11, 2019, 7:21 pm I feel sorry for Tonguey that the end of his career was diminished by playing out of position.

Oh definitely - wasn't his fault. Furner kept playing him there despite being woefully inadequate for the role, mainly because he couldn't address our long standing hooking woes or manage a roster to save himself.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

afgtnk wrote:
Ruben Daley wrote: December 11, 2019, 7:21 pm I feel sorry for Tonguey that the end of his career was diminished by playing out of position.

Oh definitely - wasn't his fault. Furner kept playing him there despite being woefully inadequate for the role, mainly because he couldn't address our long standing hooking woes or manage a roster to save himself.
I didn't realise he played 50 games there overall

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Hooker is one of the toughest positions to fill
Stud juniors flop at a huge rate, there is honestly about 4-5 in the RL world that make a difference. Over half the league has an isssue or pending issue at hooker.

Tongue and the club were forced into this and made it out as best they could. The club put a lot of eggs in the Waddell basket, and i supported that at the time, but it didnt work... and ti was what it was.

Stuart should and is commended for looking outside the box to find talent to fill this important position, and he struck some SERIOUS **** gold but boy, I fear for life beyond Hodgson.
Feels like we cant bank on finding another Hodgson out of the ESL
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Didn't the club put all the eggs in the Stuart Flanagan basket and he turned out to be an Orford tier lemon?

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

-TW- wrote: December 11, 2019, 9:36 pm Didn't the club put all the eggs in the Stuart Flanagan basket and he turned out to be an Orford tier lemon?

Not really. Signed as a reserve grade player and remained a reserve grade player. Admittedly the club did expect more of him.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Ummm....Hodgo I spose !!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Yeah, Tongue at hooker was truly terrible and a truly terrible way for one of our greats to finish his career

Having said that, he’d still be my number two vote on that list... look how far we’ve come
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Another 70% result. Incredible scenes.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Barrel chested Butt for the win. My Team of the Decade is focussed around physical intimidation.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: POLL: Canberra Raiders 2010s Team of the Decade: Hooker

Post by -TW- »

Alright who voted for Travis Waddell

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Didn't McCrone play some hooker? I seem to remember some really vocal support for that experiment.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

x2

Did an admirable job in the role too, under challenging circumstances. It's an absolute travesty that his reputation has been tainted by the rubbish he had to deal with. Still one of my favourite all time players.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

zim wrote: December 12, 2019, 9:57 am Didn't McCrone play some hooker? I seem to remember some really vocal support for that experiment.
They tried it... it didnt work
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Josh McCrone only played two games at hooker for Canberra, the final two matches of 2013.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: December 12, 2019, 10:47 am Josh McCrone only played two games at hooker for Canberra, the final two matches of 2013.
Started at 9/ named at 9. He was the utility/ bench hooker a few more than that
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Anybody’s better than the Limey.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

Seiffert82 wrote: December 12, 2019, 10:02 am
x2

Did an admirable job in the role too, under challenging circumstances. It's an absolute travesty that his reputation has been tainted by the rubbish he had to deal with. Still one of my favourite all time players.
afgtnk wrote: December 11, 2019, 8:56 pm Oh definitely - wasn't his fault. Furner kept playing him there despite being woefully inadequate for the role, mainly because he couldn't address our long standing hooking woes or manage a roster to save himself.
Agree with both observations. The club hadn't had a legitimate first-grade hooker since Simon Woolford and at that particular point were at an all-time low. He stepped in and sacrificed his own game for the (hoped for) betterment of the team.

I also remember he had numerous injuries at that time too, including a hand one that I always thought was really affecting him. It's hard enough to transition from lock to hooker anyway, let alone when your hand is bung.

I reckon the perception of Tonguey's contribution to the club will gradually diminish over time, partly because of his style of play and partly (mostly) because of the general lack of success during the period he played in. And that will be a huge shame.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Its actually pretty poor of ge to not have our actual second best hooker in the top 4. Id have havili ahead of all bar hodgson.
Dont delete this GE
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Northern Raider wrote: December 11, 2019, 9:56 pm
-TW- wrote: December 11, 2019, 9:36 pm Didn't the club put all the eggs in the Stuart Flanagan basket and he turned out to be an Orford tier lemon?

Not really. Signed as a reserve grade player and remained a reserve grade player. Admittedly the club did expect more of him.
I expected more of him. He was a genuine gun growing up
Dont delete this GE
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

simo wrote: December 13, 2019, 7:55 pm Its actually pretty poor of ge to not have our actual second best hooker in the top 4. Id have havili ahead of all bar hodgson.
I have it like this:

1. Hodgson
2. Havili
3. Baptiste
4. Buttriss
5. Tongue
6. Waddell

* Caveat: I really tuned out after no.3.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

simo wrote: December 13, 2019, 7:55 pm Its actually pretty poor of ge to not have our actual second best hooker in the top 4. Id have havili ahead of all bar hodgson.
Basic rule... you have to play 20 games in the position for Canberra in the 2010s.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Youre right. It is a very basic rule. It should be updated to include the best in that position. Very nrl for you to leave it how it is
Dont delete this GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Poll declared. All the results so far: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33793&p=1712110#p1712110