POLL: Canberra Raiders 2010s Team of the Decade: Halfback

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who should be the halfback in the Canberra Raiders Team of the 2010s?

Josh McCrone
8%
Sam Williams
16%
Aidan Sezer
77%

Total votes: 64

greeneyed
Don Furner

POLL: Canberra Raiders 2010s Team of the Decade: Halfback

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders 2010s Team of the Decade: Halfback

It has been 10 years since The Greenhouse voted on the Canberra Raiders Team of the Decade - for the 2000s. Back in 2009, Mark McLinden was voted Canberra Raiders Halfback of the 2000s. Now it is time to vote on the Halfback of the 2010s!

Here are the nominees:

Josh McCrone

Josh McCrone played 133 NRL games for the Canberra Raiders, after making his debut in Round 7 of 2009. He played 67 games at halfback and 49 at five eighth. All but nine of his matches were played in the 2010s. He was Terry Campese's halfback partner in the 2010 campaign, but with Campese on the sidelines in 2011, he took over the captain's No. 6 jersey in that season. He spent 60 per cent of the 2012 season at five eighth, with Campese again affected by injury - as well as the first seven rounds of 2013. He played four finals games for Canberra - two in 2010 at halfback, and two in 2012 at five eighth. He joined the St George Illawarra Dragons in 2016. He scored 34 tries for Canberra and one field goal, for a total of 137 points. He made three appearances for NSW Country between 2012-14, one at halfback and two off the bench.

Sam Williams

Sam Williams, a Cooma Colts and Canberra Raiders junior, made his first grade debut for the Green Machine in Round 1 of the 2011 season. He produced a man of the match performance, in the 40-12 victory over the Cronulla Sharks at Canberra Stadium. With Matt Orford spending most of the season injured on the sidelines, he made 18 NRL appearances in his rookie season. Williams has had three separate stints with the Raiders. He played the 2014 season at the St George Illawarra Dragons and Catalan Dragons, before returning to Canberra in 2015. He had another season in the Super League in 2017 with Wakefield Trinity, but re-joined the Raiders in 2018.

Williams has played 90 NRL matches for Canberra, 81 of them at halfback. He has played three finals games for Canberra, two in 2012 and one in 2016. He has scored 15 tries, 25 goals and six field goals, for a total of 116 points. He made one appearance for NSW Country in 2013, on the bench.

Aidan Sezer

Aidan Sezer - a Canterbury Bulldogs junior - joined the Canberra Raiders in the 2016 season from the Gold Coast Titans, and went on to make 84 appearances for the Green Machine. He played five games at five eighth, and two off the bench - taking the role of interchange dummy half, while Josh Hodgson was injured in early 2018. He played at halfback in all of his remaining games for Canberra. He played six finals matches at halfback, three in 2016 and three in 2019, including the 2019 Grand Final. He departed the Raiders at the end of 2019, joining the Huddersfield Giants.

He scored 14 tries, 23 goals and five field goals for Canberra - memorably, three field goals in the golden point win over the Sharks at Cronulla in 2019. He made two representative teams while with Canberra - at five eighth for NSW City in 2016 and off the bench for the Indigenous All Stars in 2017.

You have ONE vote in this poll. You may change your vote.

See the list of all the Canberra Raiders players of the 2010s... and the results of the polls as they unfold: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33793
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Canberra Raiders 2010s Team of the Decade: Halfback

Post by The Nickman »

Aidan Sezer… next!!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This one is pretty straight forward... and hooker will be too.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

When you do hooker, don't even put any other player in the poll.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

No need to let this one run. Its Sezer by the entire Roman empire. Next
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Sam Williams.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I am looking forward to seeing how afghjfgjk votes though!
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

The Nickman wrote: December 10, 2019, 1:46 pm When you do hooker, don't even put any other player in the poll.
I know. It's a shame it's only the last 10 years or else Jason Burnham would have been a shoe in.

My goodness, for a club that has produced so many greats we've had our fair share of drivel through recent years.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

My ideal 2010s team would have Campo at #7 and Wighton at #6 if I were building the team ala a fantasy team.

The polling doesn't allow that, producing more of a "best in that position" than an ideal team.

So I have to go Sezer.

Which joker voted McCrone?

Although when I lived in Canberra we used to play the McCrone drinking game. A shot every time McCrone scored, try or LB/assist or every time he did something like rocket the ball into a runners head. I don't remember the end of many games.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Any team of the decade, century etc HAS to be determined on where the player actually played. It makes no sense at all to decide many years later, that a player should have played in another position. If they were THAT well suited to another position... they probably would have played more than 20 games in that position.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

You want to talk about what the player ACTUALLY played, then lets do that.

Jersey's aint nothin but a number.
Given the options here, it's Sezer, easily and anyone saying otherwise should be named and shamed... which says less about Sezer and more about the position in general. When the all decade team gets named and it's Wighton at fullback, Campese at 5/8th and Sezer at halfback, we'll know why until this year, this decade has been a total and utter failure.

Wighton will win the fullback role despite being a sub par fullback in everything but as a ball player
Campese will win the 5/8th role despite having ZERO running game for 2/3 seasons he played for us in this decade
Sezer will win the halfback role despite being a recruitment diappointment and ultimately being nothing more than a good role player
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

The Nickman wrote: December 10, 2019, 1:46 pm When you do hooker, don't even put any other player in the poll.
Not even McCrone?
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

BadnMean wrote: December 10, 2019, 8:01 pm My ideal 2010s team would have Campo at #7 and Wighton at #6 if I were building the team ala a fantasy team.
Geez that would have been the best defensive halves pairing in history.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: December 10, 2019, 8:05 pm Any team of the decade, century etc HAS to be determined on where the player actually played. It makes no sense at all to decide many years later, that a player should have played in another position. If they were THAT well suited to another position... they probably would have played more than 20 games in that position.
In general, yes. But when it comes to #6 and #7 in the modern game it gets blurry. Campo was first receiver half the time, main kicker and with Hodgo at #9 I'd run him and Jack as my halves, whether or not one wore #6 or #7 when they played doesn't matter.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Manbush wrote: December 10, 2019, 9:15 pm
BadnMean wrote: December 10, 2019, 8:01 pm My ideal 2010s team would have Campo at #7 and Wighton at #6 if I were building the team ala a fantasy team.
Geez that would have been the best defensive halves pairing in history.
Did Toots Snr ever line up in the halves alongside Daley in his brief halves stint? That'd be the only one I could think of to top it.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

greeneyed wrote: December 10, 2019, 8:05 pm Any team of the decade, century etc HAS to be determined on where the player actually played. It makes no sense at all to decide many years later, that a player should have played in another position. If they were THAT well suited to another position... they probably would have played more than 20 games in that position.
Agree 100%

It’s why I hate the cop out teams of the decade pundits pick with 4 fullbacks in them.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I do get it. I do understand why some people would like to play Campese at No. 7... and he played there for nine games. But it would be a sham if he was selected at half back in a team of the decade. Because he simply didn’t regularly play in that position. Either he gets picked at five eighth... or he doesn’t get picked. It would make the team a sham if he was.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Sezer.

I'm looking forward to the prop of the decade.

It will be hotly contested.

TLL, DTilse, Shillo, Jnr, Logan, will Papa qualify ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: December 10, 2019, 10:00 pm I do get it. I do understand why some people would like to play Campese at No. 7... and he played there for nine games. But it would be a sham if he was selected at half back in a team of the decade. Because he simply didn’t regularly play in that position. Either he gets picked at five eighth... or he doesn’t get picked. It would make the team a sham if he was.
No, he WORE #7 for 9 games. He played halfback most of his career, wearing the #6.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Hmm I don’t really think he played halfback per se
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Matt wrote: December 11, 2019, 8:27 am
greeneyed wrote: December 10, 2019, 10:00 pm I do get it. I do understand why some people would like to play Campese at No. 7... and he played there for nine games. But it would be a sham if he was selected at half back in a team of the decade. Because he simply didn’t regularly play in that position. Either he gets picked at five eighth... or he doesn’t get picked. It would make the team a sham if he was.
No, he WORE #7 for 9 games. He played halfback most of his career, wearing the #6.
I don't believe that is correct. It is like saying Gavin Miller wasn't a back rower because he operated like a play maker and ball distributor. He played a fair bit of five eighth and hooker in his earlier years... but there's no doubt he was a back rower. When they named him the Dally M Player of the Year in 1988 and 1989... they gave him the award for Dally M Second Rower of the Year... and the Sharks named him in the second row in their greatest ever team.

Terry Campese wasn't the first five eighth to be the dominant halves playmaker... and he won't be the last. Darren Lockyer anyone?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

What this poll tells me is we spent an entire decade without a top class halfback.

Sezer gets the prize which is the equivalent of Best Opera Singer in Birdsville award.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

julian87 wrote: December 11, 2019, 8:48 am Hmm I don’t really think he played halfback per se
Of course he didn't, he was always a running half, which is more the traditional five-eighth role. Just because he demanded the ball more than his often-spud halves partner and was often "first receiver" in a split halves system doesn't make him a halfback.

And the fact he was "captain catch and pass" in the last two to three seasons are because his knees were shot, not because he was playing a traditional halfback role.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

But that's most of his tape in the decade we're talking about!
According to the greatest RL site on the internet - Rugby League Project
http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/playe ... mmary.html

He played 70 games in this decade, 26 of them in 2010 when he was absolutely ridiculously good... And 44 otherwise when, frankly he had no business playing NRL footy given the level of play he was capable of giving post injuries
So for 2/3rds of the game in which we're judging this on, the man had ABSOLUTELY no running game what so ever. Like none. He was practically getting around in a zimmer frame.
I remember many here including myself lamenting the fact that he was such a husk of a player that he didnt even bother engaging the line, and the only line break he made was when a dude flat out fell over in front of him.
There is no way anyone could say he was a running half for those 44 games. And he absolutely played those games (and id argue strongly the other 26) as a traditional halfback.

I've said before, i dont think he should be in this team. He should be in the team of the decade for the 00's... but his body of work doesnt merit a spot for 10's. He was garbage for most of this decade, injuries rendered him an ineffective and actually worst, a player who negatively impacted the on field performance of the football team for 44/70 games. And injuries are to blame for that, but it is what it is, I dont think you should be a team of the decade if your performance for over 50% of your games over 5 seasons hurt the team
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote: December 11, 2019, 11:51 am But that's most of his tape in the decade we're talking about!
According to the greatest RL site on the internet - Rugby League Project
http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/playe ... mmary.html

He played 70 games in this decade, 26 of them in 2010 when he was absolutely ridiculously good... And 44 otherwise when, frankly he had no business playing NRL footy given the level of play he was capable of giving post injuries
So for 2/3rds of the game in which we're judging this on, the man had ABSOLUTELY no running game what so ever. Like none. He was practically getting around in a zimmer frame.
I remember many here including myself lamenting the fact that he was such a husk of a player that he didnt even bother engaging the line, and the only line break he made was when a dude flat out fell over in front of him.
There is no way anyone could say he was a running half for those 44 games. And he absolutely played those games (and id argue strongly the other 26) as a traditional halfback.

I've said before, i dont think he should be in this team. He should be in the team of the decade for the 00's... but his body of work doesnt merit a spot for 10's. He was garbage for most of this decade, injuries rendered him an ineffective and actually worst, a player who negatively impacted the on field performance of the football team for 44/70 games. And injuries are to blame for that, but it is what it is, I dont think you should be a team of the decade if your performance for over 50% of your games over 5 seasons hurt the team
Which is exactly why I voted for Blake Austin as five-eighth of the year and why Sezer is clearly winning here.

Even in those last two or three years Campo didn't play like a traditional halfback, he played like an old-school five-eighth who couldn't run.

The point is moo anyway, because as you said, in those two to three seasons he was absolutely busted, so shouldn't really be garnering any votes for EITHER position.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I’ve voted the same Nickman ftr.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I voted Milford, Wighton and Sezer
The Sezer one is as straight forward as it gets.
Milford to me was incredible in his 40 odd games for us. I dont think Wighton was a very good fullback and whilst Dugan was probably the right answer, **** him forever.

I think Austin, Wighton and Campo all had 1 good year in this decade at 5/8th and overall the contribution at the position and through the decade swayed it Wighton's way, but if Wighton wins the fullback position, ill have to change my pick to Austin
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Wighton WAS a good fullback, aside from this season he played all his best games there

It was and still is an absolute myth that he was no good at fullback
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Lads, we’re all forgetting someone in this debate.

Adam.Mogg
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Adam Mogg ?

Good one Fui, he played for us in 2010 and I'm sure he filled in at 7.

I wonder if Brad Drew was nominated for this 10 years ago ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

this thread is proof that somewhere between 20-30% of people are jokers or fools
boydy80
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by boydy80 »

This pole makes me feel Ill.
Long time creeper....... First time poster
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: December 12, 2019, 7:21 am this thread is proof that somewhere between 20-30% of people are jokers or fools
Sammy looks great in that pink jersey though.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: POLL: Canberra Raiders 2010s Team of the Decade: Halfback

Post by -TW- »

I have that Pink Cadillac jersey

Very flattering

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Matt
Don Furner

Re: POLL: Canberra Raiders 2010s Team of the Decade: Halfback

Post by Matt »