Edrick The Entertainer
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Re: Canberra Raiders reportedly interested in signing Matt Frawley

Post by yurithe1 »

Makaveli wrote: December 9, 2019, 11:36 am
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: December 9, 2019, 11:25 am
Northern Raider wrote:Hingano replacement?
Different positions. Hingano is our depth Hooker/Winger
Hahaha. But winger before hooker.
Did people miss the news that Hingano was released at the end of the season and currently has no contract?

BTW, Jordan Turner was the ESL player who didn't make the grade with Raiders. I think he was released midway through the season after spending most of it at Mounties. He's playing for either Salford or St Helens now. He was in one of those GF teams at any rate.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Hingano has got a new contract and he's on our development list.

You can check out the full list here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5023
yurithe1
David Furner

Post by yurithe1 »

zim wrote: December 10, 2019, 9:56 am Hingano has got a new contract and he's on our development list.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5023
Development player? Man, that's rough. I'm guessing that with his history of injuries, other NRL sides are wary of signing him.

Nice work by the Raiders by signing him and giving a chance to continue playing.

zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Certainly a step down. He'd be hoping for a mostly injury free year to finally put together some consistent performances.
Must be a good trainer and well liked to be held on to.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

zim wrote:Certainly a step down. He'd be hoping for a mostly injury free year to finally put together some consistent performances.
Agree. I am baffled how clubs are allowed to sign players who have played first grade on “development” contracts. You would think they should be reserved for players out of 20’s etc to do exactly that.... develop them. Instead they are using them as desperate player insurance policies. Fair enough if they can get away with it.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Matt Frawley returns to Raiders

Canberra Raiders junior Matt Frawley has returned to the club for the 2020 season, after signing a one-year development contract.

Frawley returns to the club after spending 2019 with Huddersfield in the English Super League and four seasons with the Bulldogs (2015-2018) where he played 31 NRL matches between 2017 and 2018. Ata Hingano has been released to take up another opportunity.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/12 ... JeyJJP8RGE

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/11/04/202 ... all-teams/

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 10cd284ee7

'No-brainer': Matt Frawley makes NRL return with Canberra Raiders

Local junior Matt Frawley will look to resurrect his NRL career at the Canberra Raiders after the club capitalised on "a no-brainer" to lure him home.

"He was at Huddersfield when I was over there and I spoke to him over there," Raiders CEO Don Furner said. "He said he was keen to come back, so I came back and spoke to the coaching staff and it worked out well.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

No way haha. What a spicy development group we have.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Frawley replaces Hingano on the development list "...Frawley joins Darby Medlyn, Andrew Niko, Jarrett Subloo and Kai O’Donnell as one of the Raiders development squad players. Ata Hingano has been released to take up an opportunity elsewhere."
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

yurithe1 wrote: December 10, 2019, 10:02 am
zim wrote: December 10, 2019, 9:56 am Hingano has got a new contract and he's on our development list.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5023
Development player? Man, that's rough. I'm guessing that with his history of injuries, other NRL sides are wary of signing him.

Nice work by the Raiders by signing him and giving a chance to continue playing.
As soon as we talk about it... he's off!
Matt
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders sign Matt Frawley to development contract

Post by Matt »

Huddersfield/ Raiders relationship at work. Halves swap. Sezer for Frawley... well, kinda
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Whats the point of signing a development deal

Nevermind, didnt see Hingano had been released. Any idea who signed him?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Makaveli wrote: December 10, 2019, 2:15 pm Whats the point of signing a development deal

Nevermind, didnt see Hingano had been released. Any idea who signed him?
No, they are not yet named
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

I quite like Matt Frawley as a player.
Actually very similar to Sam Williams in many ways.
I wonder how much he'll get paid on a development contract?
Perhaps he'll have to put in a few shifts at the family shoe business to help make ends meet.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Development contracts in 2019 were $75,000. They were $60,000 in 2018. Not entirely sure about 2020.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Ronny P wrote: December 10, 2019, 1:38 pm
zim wrote:Certainly a step down. He'd be hoping for a mostly injury free year to finally put together some consistent performances.
Agree. I am baffled how clubs are allowed to sign players who have played first grade on “development” contracts. You would think they should be reserved for players out of 20’s etc to do exactly that.... develop them. Instead they are using them as desperate player insurance policies. Fair enough if they can get away with it.

This was my original outlook, but i think I like that you can use mature players. Rugby League is pretty cut throat career wise. It allows a player like Frawley to move home and play NSW Cup as his full time gig. A few injuries and he might get another shot.

With Hingano moving it’s a pretty good deep insurance for the club too. If injuries or suspensions hit at some point you’d rather a 4 game stint from a Matt Frawley than an untested afterthought 20 yr old player imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote: December 10, 2019, 4:07 pm Development contracts in 2019 were $75,000. They were $60,000 in 2018. Not entirely sure about 2020.
25% pay increase. Better than any other pay rise in Canberra. Did they have to demonstrate productivity savings?
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

In all seriousness where else can you get a player who should be in the prime of their career who has played 31 games of NRL and 20 games of ESL for $75k?

2014 when he was captain of our Under 20s was the year I was overseas and whilst I could watch replays and highlights of the NRL games, pretty impossible to watch Under 20s. I didn't think he was going to make it in 2013 but he apparently had a pretty good 2014 and got a contract with the Dogs. He did have some very good games for them.

He is also born and bred in Canberra so a true local junior.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

julian87 wrote:
Ronny P wrote: December 10, 2019, 1:38 pm

This was my original outlook, but i think I like that you can use mature players. Rugby League is pretty cut throat career wise. It allows a player like Frawley to move home and play NSW Cup as his full time gig. A few injuries and he might get another shot.

With Hingano moving it’s a pretty good deep insurance for the club too. If injuries or suspensions hit at some point you’d rather a 4 game stint from a Matt Frawley than an untested afterthought 20 yr old player imo.
Agree but if he has already played first grade then he is not a player that should take up money assigned to development. If thats the case get rid of the development contract and just have top 35. Then they can mange cap how they like.

LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Brock Lamb has signed a 2 year deal ( with eels ) , 1st year is a development contract . Not sure how the development contracts work but it is odd you can bring a player into the development squad who has played first grade

As for Frawley he isn't seeing first grade with us
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It’s pretty clear the clubs are now using development spots as reserve grade contracts, with the possibility of bringing them in in the second half of the season. I’m not sure that’s what these spots were designed for. They should be places for players who’ve not played first grade before, in my view anyway. Not that it’s not great for the players concerned to get a second shot.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Its a very strange system. Lawless. Should be reseved for players who are actually developing. 20 years or younger.
But if this the rule and the door is left ajar, we'd be mad... neglect even given our Premiership window, not to take advantage.

Frawley is not great shakes but thats a dude with some decent experience who is a solid defender. Never know when that will be needed.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I don’t blame the Raiders for taking every possible advantage of the NRL’s rules, given the NRL doesn’t run a level playing field with the salary cap and a whole pile of other things.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

It's a stupid system.

What's the go with development contracts these days anyway? Are development contracted players only eligible for First Grade if all other players in their position are injured?

If so, theoretically Frawley is eligible if two of Wighton, Williams and Williams are injured. Not entirely impossible.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

They can get NRL permission to back up in the first half of the season if there are no players in the position available after injury/suspension. After 30 June they can be drawn upon if needed.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

While the contract rule is as it is, it's smart. Add depth in positions you feel short. Basically extended your 30 to 35 or 36.
These players can be used with dispensation if u hit injury crisis after all.
Cheap way to bank spine depth.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I don’t have any problem with how these are used as my previous post suggests. They maybe just need to rename it. Under 20s have Flegg and if they’re real good they make the top 30 anyway.

Enabling 20+ year olds to take up this option and remain professional players in Australia is a good thing imo. If it keeps players fighting for a career rather than taking the money in Other comps and essentially giving up on being a genuine professional it’s a positive imo.

For the last 10 years the game has ignored the reserve grade comps a bit too much so I like this.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: December 10, 2019, 8:25 pm They can get NRL permission to back up in the first half of the season if there are no players in the position available after injury/suspension. After 30 June they can be drawn upon if needed.
Thanks.
yurithe1
David Furner

Post by yurithe1 »

I was at a meeting where Don Jnr was a speaker. He mentioned that the average NRL player's career lasted for about 3.5 years. That's a very small timeframe in which to make an impact and maybe set yourself up for the future.

That's why I'm in favour of the NRL decision that forces young players to undertake some form of study in order to be eligible for an NRL call-up.

These players who are in Frawley's age range might not have that Option B to fall back on.I don't know what Frawley's personal situation is like and whether he needs this sort of latitude, but I suspect that this development contract loophole will be closed off a few years down the track once the NRL decides that players have come along enough that it's no longer necessary to have a safety net.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

I just don't think you should be labelling something a development contract when it is essentially just used as a second tier contract for cap purposes.

The whole salary cap system needs a complete overhaul.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

yurithe1 wrote: December 10, 2019, 9:54 am
Did people miss the news that Hingano was released at the end of the season and currently has no contract?

BTW, Jordan Turner was the ESL player who didn't make the grade with Raiders. I think he was released midway through the season after spending most of it at Mounties. He's playing for either Salford or St Helens now. He was in one of those GF teams at any rate.
He's at Huddersfield.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

yurithe1 wrote: December 10, 2019, 9:54 am

He was bumped to a development contract. He was only released yesterday.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He was farewelled at the Meninga Medal... but then he got a development contract life line. Then released again yesterday.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

interesting that a lot of you seem to think that development stops at a certain age. If no club wishes to sign a player then it is obvious that they need to continue to develop their game in order to obtain a contract. Regardless of their age. Its not a junior development contract which would possibly be a better idea going forward
Dont delete this GE
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

simo wrote: December 11, 2019, 9:21 am interesting that a lot of you seem to think that development stops at a certain age. If no club wishes to sign a player then it is obvious that they need to continue to develop their game in order to obtain a contract. Regardless of their age. Its not a junior development contract which would possibly be a better idea going forward
I think the consensus is that a development contract should be for someone who is on the way up, not on the way down. Both Frawely and Hingano had their chances at first grade teams, played first grade games, and have proven they are not starting players, but second tier depth at best.

Using players like this is not 'developing' them, its stockpiling them just in case of injury issues.

Edit: Having said that, Im glad we are starting to take advantage of the loopholes the muppets at NRL keep creating. Now we just need to sign Croker to a 10 year 300k p/a contract and medically retire him in a couple of years when that knee finally gives up the ghost.