All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: Canberra Raiders sign Matt Frawley to development contract

Post by simo »

Coastalraider wrote: December 11, 2019, 9:52 am
simo wrote: December 11, 2019, 9:21 am interesting that a lot of you seem to think that development stops at a certain age. If no club wishes to sign a player then it is obvious that they need to continue to develop their game in order to obtain a contract. Regardless of their age. Its not a junior development contract which would possibly be a better idea going forward
I think the consensus is that a development contract should be for someone who is on the way up, not on the way down. Both Frawely and Hingano had their chances at first grade teams, played first grade games, and have proven they are not starting players, but second tier depth at best.

Using players like this is not 'developing' them, its stockpiling them just in case of injury issues.

Edit: Having said that, Im glad we are starting to take advantage of the loopholes the muppets at NRL keep creating. Now we just need to sign Croker to a 10 year 300k p/a contract and medically retire him in a couple of years when that knee finally gives up the ghost.
Yes, that seems to be what a lot of people have decided it should be for, but thats not actually what it is. If a club thinks it can develop a player in their mid 20’s to fill a role in their nrl squad why shouldnt they? Its not a junior development position. Just development.
Dont delete this GE
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

simo wrote: December 11, 2019, 9:21 am interesting that a lot of you seem to think that development stops at a certain age. If no club wishes to sign a player then it is obvious that they need to continue to develop their game in order to obtain a contract. Regardless of their age. Its not a junior development contract which would possibly be a better idea going forward
I think the consensus is that a development contract should be for someone who is on the way up, not on the way down. Both Frawely and Hingano had their chances at first grade teams, played first grade games, and have proven they are not starting players, but second tier depth at best.

Using players like this is not 'developing' them, its stockpiling them just in case of injury issues.

Edit: Having said that, Im glad we are starting to take advantage of the loopholes the muppets at NRL keep creating. Now we just need to sign Croker to a 10 year 300k p/a contract and medically retire him in a couple of years when that knee finally gives up the ghost.
Yep, it's not an issue of age. It's more about career trajectory. Hard to put rules in place to stop any exploitation though as future potential of a player is highly subjective.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Northern Raider wrote: December 11, 2019, 10:10 am

Yep, it's not an issue of age. It's more about career trajectory. Hard to put rules in place to stop any exploitation though as future potential of a player is highly subjective.
But no one wanted him. Which means he wasnt good enough (for whatever reason). Our club also believes hes not good enough for our top 30. But we think he might be able to develop into a top 30 player.
Dont delete this GE
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

simo wrote: December 11, 2019, 10:09 am

Yes, that seems to be what a lot of people have decided it should be for, but thats not actually what it is. If a club thinks it can develop a player in their mid 20’s to fill a role in their nrl squad why shouldnt they? Its not a junior development position. Just development.
This is it pretty much. People need to move past their ideas of what they think it is and approach it for what it actually is.
There's no "stockpiling" going on here. These are guys that can't earn a better contract elsewhere. We're not denying him or another club an opportunity.
If there was an opportunity Frawley would accept the massive pay upgrade that comes with being on min wage and not a development player.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I think in the context of sports, development contracts around the sporting landscape are usually contracts designated to kids who arent quite ready for the step up the top tier league, and im sure the NRL's intention for this was the same. It's designed to get guys like Smith Shields experienced in the top squad, and be exposed to the additional levels of coaching, training, meetings, gym etc to prepare them for the jump into the top grade

I dont think it's intention was to take journeymen in their mid 20's who serve as experienced depth and "develop" them

But your point about development not stopping at any age is very fair and correct, and may be the NRL's intention was to have it open to this kind of development, which... tbh, i wouldnt mind, for exactly the points you raised. Development doesnt stop and every year the code see's these sort of journeymen find their role, their niche and kind of emerge as a break out players who can contribute to winning football teams and keeping the door ajar via this sort of contract for those guys is a good thing.

But i think the intention of this contract designation is to be as you say, a junior development contract and the rules or restrictions have lacked adequate details (what a shock, the NRL struggling with the details!), and so we're taking advantage
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hahaha the NRL introduces a barely thought-out rule, the NRL clubs exploit the absolute **** out of it, the NRL has to change the rule to make it more sensible... ATAOATNRLT
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Nickman wrote: December 11, 2019, 10:52 am Hahaha the NRL introduces a barely thought-out rule, the NRL clubs exploit the absolute **** out of it, the NRL has to change the rule to make it more sensible... ATAOATNRLT
Classic thought bubble policy really. Standard practice for the NRL.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: December 11, 2019, 10:52 am Hahaha the NRL introduces a barely thought-out rule, the NRL clubs exploit the absolute **** out of it, the NRL has to change the rule to make it more sensible... ATAOATNRLT
haha it really is
Rinse and **** repeat every time
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

10 minutes after I put it in the speculation thread, old neeegzy goes alright :roflmao
Your slipping ge, unless your busy on an island sipping cocktails...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Neeeegz wrote: December 12, 2019, 7:31 pm 10 minutes after I put it in the speculation thread, old neeegzy goes alright :roflmao
Your slipping ge, unless your busy on an island sipping cocktails...
I love other people putting stories up!

If it’s a reputable media report... deserves it’s own thread.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Yeah sorry, your effort is much appreciated, definately written a lot better than me
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No need to be sorry... one of the things that I love about the site is how fans jump in and post the breaking news.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Hingano’s other opportunity is Mackay Cutters in the Queensland Cup.

Good luck to him.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

North Queensland Cowboys affiliate Mackay Cutters sign released Canberra Raiders half Ata Hingano

The Mackay Cutters are excited to announce they have secured the talents of Ata Hingano for the upcoming 2020 season as one of their marquee players. Hingano arrived in Mackay yesterday and will start training with his new team mates this afternoon.

Read more: https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2019/12/16/ ... l-hingano/
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Mackay, random
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

I wonder if its on advice from the cowboys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Potential cover for Martin? Don't think they've re-signed him, but they did extend Clifford this week
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Makaveli wrote: December 17, 2019, 8:11 am Mackay, random
Ewwwww… poor guy
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Elcaptcroker wrote: December 17, 2019, 9:37 am I wonder if its on advice from the cowboys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It definitely would be.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Matt Frawley feeling grand final buzz on Canberra Raiders return

He missed the game, but Canberra Raiders recruit Matt Frawley is feeling the NRL grand final buzz. Frawley has returned to the club he played for as a junior on a development contract.

"Absolutely. I wasn't here for the grand final, but all my family and friends got behind the team," he said. "I think there's that real buzz that's carried into the pre-season.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

VIDEO: Frawley aiming to fulfill childhood dream: After coming through the ranks at the Raiders, returning halfback Matt Frawley has his eyes on a first grade debut for the club in 2020: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/12 ... ood-dream/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Matt Frawley elevated time Canberra Raiders top 30

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Matt Frawley added to Canberra Raiders Top 30 squad

New recruit Matt Frawley has been added to the Raiders Top 30 on a deal until 2021. Hear from him in the sheds after the match against the Titans in the NRL Nines. This leaves one space open in the top 30 squad, and frees a development player slot.

Video: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/02 ... to-top-30/
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Hmm not a fan of that with the Scott and Kris situations. Frawley was better off left development as there’d need to be 3 injuries to specific players for him to play.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

julian87 wrote: February 15, 2020, 7:45 am Hmm not a fan of that with the Scott and Kris situations. Frawley was better off left development as there’d need to be 3 injuries to specific players for him to play.
2. And williams has been dealing with injury in the preseason. We will also be missing wighton during origin. I think a 4th half is sensible for our squad
Dont delete this GE
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

simo wrote: February 15, 2020, 8:33 am
julian87 wrote: February 15, 2020, 7:45 am Hmm not a fan of that with the Scott and Kris situations. Frawley was better off left development as there’d need to be 3 injuries to specific players for him to play.
2. And williams has been dealing with injury in the preseason. We will also be missing wighton during origin. I think a 4th half is sensible for our squad
3. I think Bateman or Whitehead would fill in before Frawley playing.
boydy80
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Re: Matt Frawley elevated to Canberra Raiders top 30

Post by boydy80 »

Good move, 3rd string half. Definitely an upgrade on Hingano..... probably signed for the price of a ham sandwich.
Long time creeper....... First time poster
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Waste of a squad spot imo
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Neeeegz wrote:Waste of a squad spot imo
Bloody oath...... showing some faith in the new big signing Williams (not)! Should have left him as a dev at best. Mustn’t be much at mounties or in the 20’s!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

If we lost one of the three to injury, you just apply to bring one in from the development players, not waste a spot on him when we are short on backs too
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Ronny P wrote:
Neeeegz wrote:Waste of a squad spot imo
Bloody oath...... showing some faith in the new big signing Williams (not)! Should have left him as a dev at best. Mustn’t be much at mounties or in the 20’s!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
It's a 30 man squad ****

Edit: why the hell is a 3 letter acronym changed into a 4 star filter that makes it look worse than what it is.. deadset. This forum is getting more and more watered down by the day

FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Youd have to think that our final spot will be an outside back. Thats where we are skiniest imo, particularly with Scott in limbo
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

I get the feeling Bateman (or even Whitehead) are going to see a bit of the centres this year.

Can’t say I’m too disappointed with this though, Frawley looked very good when he began with the Dogs but then just fell off a cliff. Hard to judge him harshly when that club has been a shambles for the last 5 or 6 years.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Makes absolute sense to have 4 halves in your top 30 squad.

One spot left. Surely room for another outside back.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

yeh raiders wrote: February 16, 2020, 10:52 am I get the feeling Bateman (or even Whitehead) are going to see a bit of the centres this year.

Can’t say I’m too disappointed with this though, Frawley looked very good when he began with the Dogs but then just fell off a cliff. Hard to judge him harshly when that club has been a shambles for the last 5 or 6 years.
Unless it’s mid game coverage I disagree with this. Centre has very quickly become the least important position on the field in attack and arguably in general imo. You’re better off with a stop gap Kris/Timoko/HSS than shifting a world class second rower imo. Especially with Young suspended for a fair whack of the start of the season.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

julian87 wrote: February 16, 2020, 4:29 pm
yeh raiders wrote: February 16, 2020, 10:52 am I get the feeling Bateman (or even Whitehead) are going to see a bit of the centres this year.

Unless it’s mid game coverage I disagree with this. Centre has very quickly become the least important position on the field in attack and arguably in general imo. You’re better off with a stop gap Kris/Timoko/HSS than shifting a world class second rower imo. Especially with Young suspended for a fair whack of the start of the season.
Exactly why you don't put yourself in a position to have to use either of those guys in the halves, except in an emergency.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

First the contract now the Canberra Raiders debut for Matt Frawley

He's expecting George Williams to be back, but half Matt Frawley is also expecting he'll get the opportunity to make his Canberra Raiders debut this season after being elevated to the top 30 squad.

"George Williams has had a bit of a quad strain, but I think he'll be sweet in the next couple of weeks," Frawley said. "I suppose it means we get a few more reps in at training when he's out, but I'm sure he'll come back and he'll be fine. He's a quality player, George.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239