POLL: Canberra Raiders 2010s Team of the Decade: Five eighth

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who should be the five eighth in the Canberra Raiders Team of the 2010s?

Terry Campese
52%
Josh McCrone
2%
Blake Austin
8%
Jack Wighton
38%

Total votes: 61

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: POLL: Canberra Raiders 2010s Team of the Decade: Five eighth

Post by The Nickman »

You guys are absolute jokers. Our best five-eighth for the decade was Blake Austin.

Campo and Wighton shouldn't be getting call-ups based on one single season, particularly when Austin ALSO had a pretty good season at this best (ie Dally M winner).

This is ludicrous, you guys are just letting emotion cloud your judgement.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Maybe you should pick the team of the 2010s.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Herbert McCrone was an awesome prospect.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Nickman wrote:You guys are absolute jokers. Our best five-eighth for the decade was Blake Austin.

Campo and Wighton shouldn't be getting call-ups based on one single season, particularly when Austin ALSO had a pretty good season at this best (ie Dally M winner).

**** it was a **** decade then

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: December 9, 2019, 1:37 pm You guys are absolute jokers. Our best five-eighth for the decade was Blake Austin.

In his only good year for us, the team finished 10th and went 10/24
Sorry, i don’t think that’s worth much stacked up against Campese and Wighton who also achieved individual honours but also strongly contributed to a winning football team that won finals games... so these were not just teams that limped in, they contended.

I still Wighton has been hands down the best 5/8th of this decade for us. Which says less about him and more about the decade, as it will when Sezer walks in the halfback of the decade award
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

In all honesty, if I was picking a team of players over the last 10 seasons I'd have Wighton at 6 and Campo at 7. Campese was pretty much our halfback.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

It's pretty depressing that when discussing our team of the decade in key positions, it's Player As one good season v Player Bs one good season.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Josh McCrone? I’d have Herbert before McCrone
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Dr Zaius wrote: December 9, 2019, 6:21 pm It's pretty depressing that when discussing our team of the decade in key positions, it's Player As one good season v Player Bs one good season.
When the team of the decade is announced, and you look at the 1-6-7, it’ll explain a lot
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Its slim pickings...
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Campese managed to have two purple patches in his entire career and that was it - second half of 2008 and 2010. Outside of that, he was an ordinary footballer. Even in the first half of 2010 he was poor and that's reflected in our ladder position.

It's little wonder that we were dross for so long when you consider these picks for the spine in this decade. Only Hodgo will be the clear and deserved standout in his position.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: December 9, 2019, 10:30 am Campese wore No. 7 nine times in 139 games, at the start of 2014. So he won’t qualify for the half back poll.

Cornish 15 appearances, doesn’t qualify.

Herbert qualifies with 23 appearances in No. 7.
And let's not forget Matt Orfords 480 minutes of ****.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Matt Orford only played six games for the Raiders... so he doesn't qualify.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

That's a shame...
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

afgtnk wrote: December 9, 2019, 6:47 pm Campese managed to have two purple patches in his entire career and that was it - second half of 2008 and 2010. Outside of that, he was an ordinary footballer. Even in the first half of 2010 he was poor and that's reflected in our ladder position.

It's little wonder that we were dross for so long when you consider these picks for the spine in this decade. Only Hodgo will be the clear and deserved standout in his position.
All this talk about Canpo being a good 7 has me beat.
The bloke had a great strong running game, always looked to pass and played erratic fast paced football. Which was incredibly successful in those purple patches where he wanted the ball almost every play, but ultimately hard to keep up for long periods.
He was not an organising halfback at all.
Kicking game was horrendous at times and never much good.
He was the dominant playmaker and demanded the ball, but I don’t really know why that means halfback.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Campo would have been great in Wightons position this year. With Hodgson and a halfback (of at least reasonable NRL quality).
Of coarse he never had that.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Campese had an excellent kicking game IMO. Had a great combo with Monaghan and his long kicking game was the best we had for years.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Beejay wrote:
afgtnk wrote: December 9, 2019, 6:47 pm Campese managed to have two purple patches in his entire career and that was it - second half of 2008 and 2010. Outside of that, he was an ordinary footballer. Even in the first half of 2010 he was poor and that's reflected in our ladder position.

The bloke had a great strong running game, always looked to pass and played erratic fast paced football. Which was incredibly successful in those purple patches where he wanted the ball almost every play, but ultimately hard to keep up for long periods.
He was the dominant playmaker and demanded the ball, but I don’t really know why that means halfback.
Yeah, agreed. He was never a halfback, he was always a running five eighth, up until he couldn’t run.

And then he was a stand and pass five eighth

This place is so weird sometimes
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:Matt Orford only played six games for the Raiders... so he doesn't qualify.
Played is generous.. turned up and cashed the cheque for appearing is more apt

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Beejay wrote: December 9, 2019, 9:27 pm

Seiffert82 wrote: December 9, 2019, 9:51 pm Campese had an excellent kicking game IMO. Had a great combo with Monaghan and his long kicking game was the best we had for years.
He had a huge boot from what I can remember. And we scored a lot of tries from kicks in that period (Monaghan).

Better or worse than Jacks? Definitely better than Jack 1.0, we'll have to see how Jack 2.5 goes next year but it's around par, edge to Campo unless Jack does another year of good kicking (we really death ride him on here compared to other good rated kickers in the NRL with similar stats).
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Jack planted a lot in the stands early doors

He sorted it out as the year went on, you could see he got better at shaking off his errors

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

BadnMean wrote: December 9, 2019, 10:57 pm
Beejay wrote: December 9, 2019, 9:27 pm

Seiffert82 wrote: December 9, 2019, 9:51 pm Campese had an excellent kicking game IMO. Had a great combo with Monaghan and his long kicking game was the best we had for years.
He had a huge boot from what I can remember. And we scored a lot of tries from kicks in that period (Monaghan).

Better or worse than Jacks? Definitely better than Jack 1.0, we'll have to see how Jack 2.5 goes next year but it's around par, edge to Campo unless Jack does another year of good kicking (we really death ride him on here compared to other good rated kickers in the NRL with similar stats).
I thought Wighton's improvement in his kicking game this season was remarkable. The reduction in balls going dead was noticeable as the season progressed - and the height and accuracy he put on those bombs was incredible. I'm not sure if it was Ricky Stuart's coaching - but Jack went from sporadically good and sometimes terrible, to quite often right on the mark.

Much like Campo, his kick chase game is top shelf too. So many times he put in 40-50 metre kicks and was the first down the field to make the tackle.

If he can continue to improve at the same rate, they sky is the limit.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Yeah this is a tough one, but I went with Campo. He would dominate games in a way I haven’t seen Jack do yet.

I’m excluding rep selections from the equation, because we all know that performance and form didn’t account for much in those NSW sides
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

That's a good point you make about the NSW/rep thing.

Campo was just one of 500 poor unfortunate souls who were chewed up and spat out..

And it all started when AJohns retired..they all got a go.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: December 9, 2019, 9:51 pm
Beejay wrote:

Yeah, agreed. He was never a halfback, he was always a running five eighth, up until he couldn’t run.

And then he was a stand and pass five eighth

This place is so weird sometimes
He was the primary ball distributor as a first receiver more often than not, he was the #1 kicking option.

His role for us was big halfback who happened to also have an exceptional running game. He was not first though, he had an effective and lethal running game but this isn’t Blake Austin who’s first look and instinct was to run.

That’s why people like me consider him more of a halfback. His game was much closer to that of a mid 90’s Ricky Stuart rather than Laurie Daley.

Split halves mostly makes this sort of thing moot now. The distinction between halfback and 5/8th is all but dead now, it’s left and right halves, and you structure your team around the strengths of those halves on either side
Similar to the way forwards are now more accurately described as middle or edge forwards, front row, second row, lock is basically meaningless
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

It was split halves when Campo played too, m8. He just demanded the ball more, like Jack did this season.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

He was first reciever because he would run around chasing the ball.
He was hooker at times because he would just be there.
During the times he took control of the team, and he definitely did. We were not a well structured team. We were erratic and unstructured and ultimately hard to defend against. But this was not for large periods of time.

If you were evaluating him as a halfback in the traditional sense (like Ricky Stuart) then he was an average one. But he wasn’t that.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: December 10, 2019, 1:38 pm It was split halves when Campo played too, m8. He just demanded the ball more, like Jack did this season.
Again, im talking about the role he played for the team.
Things like being the primary general play kicker, being the first receiver on most plays, being the primary ball handler on scrum play, being responsible for organising and directing the team in attack. These are roles traditionally handled by the halfback

As i said, split halves basically means there is no halfback or 5/8th, just left and right half. And that's ultimately how i would run the poll if it was me, but GE went for a traditional set up, and IMO, Campese better fits the role as a halfback, PARTICULARLY in the 10's decade when 2/3 seasons he spent having exactly ZERO running game and was nothing more than a catch and pass halfback
Danster
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Danster »

greeneyed wrote:I think it is a much closer run thing. Both Campese and Wighton had one outstanding season in the decade at five eighth. Campese was the most influential player in the team in 2010, by a long way. If he hadn't suffered the ACL... in my view, the Raiders go on to win that game and... IMO... had a great shot at winning the Grand Final. Wighton was a key player in the 2019 campaign, and won the Clive Churchill Medal. But I don't think he was as influential as Campese in the 2010 season, not really close. And that isn't to downplay what Jack Wighton did in 2019.

In my view, Campese was the best five eighth in the competition in 2010, or close to, but I'm not sure I'd say the same for Wighton... there's Munster, Keary, Walker... Maloney was picked in front of him for Origin, and Keary and Munster picked ahead of him for the Kangaroos.

Campese didn't get picked for Origin after his sole game in 2009... but NSW picked Jamie Lyon and Trent Barrett in 2010 and it was a clean sweep for Queensland. Todd Carney won the Dally M Five Eighth of the Year and player of the year in 2010... while Jamie Soward was the five eighth for the premiers. Campo certainly better than Soward that season.

All up, I think it's pretty close, comparing those two seasons for the two players, but I think Campese was more influential and dominant for his team... plus Campese played more games at five eighth in the 2010s.

Finally, you need to consider what's the best team composition. If Wighton is five eighth... he can't play fullback... so who do you have at fullback? I'd have to go CNK, as Dugan and Milford would be coming nowhere near my team of the decade after what they did to the club. I might have a different view if I was judging purely on football ability... but I also think about what the players did for/to the club in an all round sense.
You make some great points here GE.
What I also remember about that 2010 season was Campo’s defence. Not only was he dragging us on that incredible streak with the ball in hand but the work he did on the edge when tackling was prolific.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Honourable Minister for Immigration and Citizenship
Proudly representing the Croker Electorate since 2007
Winner of the Greenhouse Tipping Comp 2007
Greeneyed Member #6260
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Poll declared. All the results so far: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33793&p=1712110#p1712110
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

So who won?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Click on the link.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

What link?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed wrote: December 23, 2019, 6:37 am Poll declared. All the results so far: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33793&p=1712110#p1712110
This one.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Mate, I’m on Tapatalk.