POLL: Canberra Raiders 2010s Team of the Decade: Five eighth

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who should be the five eighth in the Canberra Raiders Team of the 2010s?

Terry Campese
52%
Josh McCrone
2%
Blake Austin
8%
Jack Wighton
38%

Total votes: 61

greeneyed
Don Furner

POLL: Canberra Raiders 2010s Team of the Decade: Five eighth

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders 2010s Team of the Decade: Five eighth

It has been 10 years since The Greenhouse voted on the Canberra Raiders Team of the Decade - for the 2000s. Back in 2009, Laurie Daley was voted Canberra Raiders Five Eighth of the 2000s. Now it is time to vote on the Five Eighth of the 2010s!

Here are the nominees:

Terry Campese

Terry Campese made his first grade debut for the Canberra Raiders in 2004 and went on to play 139 NRL games in green, all but 15 of them at five eighth. It's fair to say he made a slow start to his first grade career, but by 2008, he showed he was one of the best players in the game. He led his team on a memorable charge to the finals and named Dally M Five Eighth of the Year - and was just three points away from winning the Dally M Medal. He was selected for the Kangaroos in that year, but he had just one game for Australia, cruelly forced from the field early with an eye injury. He was selected for NSW Country and the NSW Blues in 2009.

In 2010, Campese found another purple patch of form, leading his team to the finals. He was named co-captain in that year, alongside Alan Tongue - and took over the captaincy after Tongue retired. Injury again sadly intervened in the 2010 Semi Final against the West Tigers - when Campese ruptured his ACL. The Raiders went on to narrowly lose the match - and if he'd stayed on the field, many Raiders fans wonder whether Canberra might have qualified for the Grand Final, or even defeated the eventual premiers, the Dragons. His 2011 and 2012 seasons were particularly impacted by injury. He only played one game in 2011, suffering another season ending injury (groin) in his comeback game. He went on to play 69 matches in the 2010s, before leaving at the end of the 2014 season to join Hull Kingston Rovers in England.

Campese shares the record for most goals in a match for Canberra (10) with David Furner - and is second to Mal Meninga for most points in a match at the club. Campese scored four tries and 10 goals (36 points) in the 74-12 win over the Penrith Panthers in 2008. Campese famously could have equaled Meninga's record of 38 points against the Roosters in 1990 - but Alan Tongue threw the ball to young half Marc Herbert for the final conversion, unaware the record was on the line.

He scored a total of 24 tries, 124 goals, one field goal and 345 points for the Raiders. He was included on the bench in The Greenhouse Canberra Raiders Team of the 2000s and won the Fans' Choice Player of the Year in 2008.

Josh McCrone

Josh McCrone played 133 NRL games for the Canberra Raiders, after making his debut in Round 7 of 2009. He was predominantly a half back (67 games), but played 49 of his first grade matches in green at five eighth. All but nine of his matches were played in the 2010s. He was Terry Campese's half back partner in the 2010 campaign, but with Campese on the sidelines in 2011, he took over the captain's No. 6 jersey in that season. He spent 60 per cent of the 2012 season at five eighth, with Campese again affected by injury - as well as the first seven rounds of 2013. He joined the St George Illawarra Dragons in 2016. He scored 34 tries for Canberra and one field goal, for a total of 137 points.

Blake Austin

Blake Austin joined the Canberra Raiders in 2015 from the Wests Tigers, having made his NRL debut with the Penrith Panthers in Round 25 of 2011 - against the Green Machine. Austin had a break out season with the Raiders in his first year at the club, winning the Dally M Five Eighth of the Year Award. He was instrumental in the Raiders' best season for two decades, which saw the club finish in second, score a record number of points, win 10 games in a row and compete in the Preliminary Final. Austin went on to play 88 games over four for the Raiders, all but five at five eighth. He scored 34 tries and a field goal for the Green Machine. He represented NSW City in 2015. He departed the club at the end of 2018, joining the Warrington Wolves in England for the 2019 season.

Jack Wighton

Jack Wighton debuted on the wing in 2012 and played in the outside backs for his first two seasons in first grade. He was tried at five eighth at the start of 2014 and played the first nine games of the season in the No. 6. However, that was not a successful move and he shifted back to centre in Round 10. He was tried at fullback for the first time in Round 24 in 2014, with Anthony Milford set to leave the club. He played the final three games in the No. 1 jersey that year, and became the regular fullback in 2015. He played 85 of his 156 matches with the Raiders at fullback, before successfully shifting to five eighth in 2019. In that year, he helped the club qualify for the its first grand final in 25 years - and he was awarded the Clive Churchill Medal for the best on field in the premiership decider. He also broke into the New South Wales Blues and Australian Kangaroos teams in 2019 - at centre. Wighton has scored 11 tries in 35 games at five eighth for Canberra, including the Raiders' only try in the 2019 Grand Final.

Remember, if you'd rather vote for a nominated player in another position... don't vote for them here! You have ONE vote in this poll. You may change your vote.

See the list of all the Canberra Raiders players of the 2010s... and the results of the polls as they unfold: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33793
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: POLL: Canberra Raiders 2010s Team of the Decade: Five eighth

Post by Matt »

This is Campos easily. As I said in the FB position, I would argue, that despite wearing 6, he was our halfback.

Wighton is going to be the odd man out, coz Milf and Dugan are better FBs, and Campo had a better record at 6.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I’ve gone with Wighton at fullback and Campese at five eighth.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:I’ve gone with Wighton at fullback and Campese at five eighth.
+1
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'll go Campo as well.

He had some brilliant years for us, always gave his all, and loved the club.

Imagine what could have been wth a fit Campo..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Wighton

Campo played about 10 good games in 2010 and that's it

Wightons first stint in 2014 was better than Campos crippled stints at 6 in 11/12

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Austin had a banger in his first year but it really didnt amount to any level of team success and the answer can never be Josh McCrone. In a poor field, it's a choice between Campese's 2010 season or Wighton's 2019. I think Wighton's first stint at 5/8th was average, but it cant hold a candle to the broken down 2011/12 version of Campo who was sadly not remotely up to NRL footy any longer, as far as a team of the decade is concerned, that two year stint actually hurts him in the voting booth for me.

My vote goes to the guy who helped guide us to the GF and was the best player on the park in said GF, earning his spot in a successful SOO campaign (to which he was a solid contributor to imo) and capping it off with an australian jumper.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Matt wrote:This is Campos easily. As I said in the FB position, I would argue, that despite wearing 6, he was our halfback.

Wighton is going to be the odd man out, coz Milf and Dugan are better FBs, and Campo had a better record at 6.
This is a fallacy.

If you're comparing Campo and Wightons 5/8 careers you'd have a point. But it is this decade, which Campo was busted for most of his remaining games in, where as Wighton won a Clive Churchill

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

-TW- wrote: December 8, 2019, 7:25 pm
Matt wrote:This is Campos easily. As I said in the FB position, I would argue, that despite wearing 6, he was our halfback.

This is a fallacy.

If you're comparing Campo and Wightons 5/8 careers you'd have a point. But it is this decade, which Campo was busted for most of his remaining games in, where as Wighton won a Clive Churchill

I'm giving Campo credit for his previous yrs, even if Botman and you are going to go mano e mano 2010 vs 2019.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I mean... you're welcome to vote however you like, but it's the team of the decade, i really dont think what a player did or didnt do before 2010 should be considered.

Its out of scope.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think it is a much closer run thing. Both Campese and Wighton had one outstanding season in the decade at five eighth. Campese was the most influential player in the team in 2010, by a long way. If he hadn't suffered the ACL... in my view, the Raiders go on to win that game and... IMO... had a great shot at winning the Grand Final. Wighton was a key player in the 2019 campaign, and won the Clive Churchill Medal. But I don't think he was as influential as Campese in the 2010 season, not really close. And that isn't to downplay what Jack Wighton did in 2019.

In my view, Campese was the best five eighth in the competition in 2010, or close to, but I'm not sure I'd say the same for Wighton... there's Munster, Keary, Walker... Maloney was picked in front of him for Origin, and Keary and Munster picked ahead of him for the Kangaroos.

Campese didn't get picked for Origin after his sole game in 2009... but NSW picked Jamie Lyon and Trent Barrett in 2010 and it was a clean sweep for Queensland. Todd Carney won the Dally M Five Eighth of the Year and player of the year in 2010... while Jamie Soward was the five eighth for the premiers. Campo certainly better than Soward that season.

All up, I think it's pretty close, comparing those two seasons for the two players, but I think Campese was more influential and dominant for his team... plus Campese played more games at five eighth in the 2010s.

Finally, you need to consider what's the best team composition. If Wighton is five eighth... he can't play fullback... so who do you have at fullback? I'd have to go CNK, as Dugan and Milford would be coming nowhere near my team of the decade after what they did to the club. I might have a different view if I was judging purely on football ability... but I also think about what the players did for/to the club in an all round sense.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote:I mean... you're welcome to vote however you like, but it's the team of the decade, i really dont think what a player did or didnt do before 2010 should be considered.

Its out of scope.
Surely as long as they played a decent chunk in the decade you should consider their input on the fringes? Otherwise players whose careers straddle the turns of decades are virtually unselectable anywhere, and you end up just picking the guys who played the most around the middle for the most part.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

I’m with Botman. I’m on board the Wighton train.

Clive Churchill medal, first grand final in 25 years and 3 SOO games (all be it in another position). Wighton’s the man.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

gangrenous wrote: December 8, 2019, 8:34 pm
Botman wrote:I mean... you're welcome to vote however you like, but it's the team of the decade, i really dont think what a player did or didnt do before 2010 should be considered.

Its out of scope.
Surely as long as they played a decent chunk in the decade you should consider their input on the fringes? Otherwise players whose careers straddle the turns of decades are virtually unselectable anywhere, and you end up just picking the guys who played the most around the middle for the most part.
I agree. I picked the best player available irrespective of whether his best work occurred in the particular decade.

I also agree with GE’s dissertation above that Campo’s 2010 season is being undervalued in this debate. Guy was unbelievable that year.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Campese dragged that team into the 2010 finals on the back of incredible personal form. It was amazing what he delivered at his best. At his best, he was up there with the very best Raiders of all time. Injury cruelled his career... even now, I love watching him play in Canberra Raiders Cup. He just has this innate ability to organise a football game.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Wighton. Clear winner in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Campo’s 2010 season was more influential than Wighton 2019, I can’t argue with that.
But Campo never played to that level again, and For the rest of the ‘decade’ was average. Can’t really pick him as best 5/8 of the decade when he really shouldn’t have been playing first grade for most of it.

Austin has a real shot, but it was all about him. Which is fine when he is on fire, but he held the team back due to poor defence and selfishness. Also ended in tears.

Jack only played one year of 5/8, but he also actually played first grade level football almost the entire decade at fullback. His running and passing game were a real strength for a few years before the shift to 5/8.
If anything was going to count outside the brief it should be that.
I also went CNK for fullback, so need to get Wighton in here.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

greeneyed wrote: December 8, 2019, 9:25 pm Campese dragged that team into the 2010 finals on the back of incredible personal form. It was amazing what he delivered at his best. At his best, he was up there with the very best Raiders of all time. Injury cruelled his career... even now, I love watching him play in Canberra Raiders Cup. He just has this innate ability to organise a football game.
He was easily our best player at that time, and untouchable in some games. But organiser?
He did play as the halfback, but the whole team used to run around like a chicken with its head cut off. It was the unpredictability that seemed to work at times.
But I wouldn’t say he had an innate ability to organise a team. Maybe he does now, I haven’t seen, but he didn’t back then.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Beejay wrote: December 8, 2019, 10:10 pm Campo’s 2010 season was more influential than Wighton 2019, I can’t argue with that.
But Campo never played to that level again, and For the rest of the ‘decade’ was average. Can’t really pick him as best 5/8 of the decade when he really shouldn’t have been playing first grade for most of it.

Austin has a real shot, but it was all about him. Which is fine when he is on fire, but he held the team back due to poor defence and selfishness. Also ended in tears.

Jack only played one year of 5/8, but he also actually played first grade level football almost the entire decade at fullback. His running and passing game were a real strength for a few years before the shift to 5/8.
If anything was going to count outside the brief it should be that.
I also went CNK for fullback, so need to get Wighton in here.
That’s why I picked Wighton at fullback. He was fullback, but nowhere near the entire decade though. It was three and a bit seasons.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Campo's 2010 was fantastic and I think he will in time be arguably our most under-rated player, but we don't make the 2019 Grand Final without Wighton playing the way he did. Hard to go past that, as far as this decade goes.

Wighton has also probably overtaken Campo as our best defensive half since Daley...and Campese was one of the best ever.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: December 8, 2019, 8:34 pm

Its out of scope.
Well, no. Assuming the guys we're putting in this team are playing at least 6-7 years, even if they split it right down the middle in terms of the decades, that's 3-4 seasons in which to make their claim. More than enough
If there is a scenario in which a player has 2 years and splits them and that's it, i'd argue strongly they have no real business being in the contention anyways unless its a scenario like this where there really is only 1 year options.

However in this case, Campese had 3 seasons with us in this period, Wighton has been around the club most of the decade, Austin was here for 3-4 seasons? McCrone since the dawn of time and is probably still somehow hanging around the back end of the roster.

They've all got their 2010-2019 tape. I think that's what should be considered.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

And FWIW, no one is disputing how good Campese was in 2010, the problem for me is, it ultimately ended up resulting in a 2nd round exit. Wighton was huge for us this year, and he played a huge role in getting us to the GF and on the brink of winning the whole damn thing. Wighton has also put in other quality work in 2010's, at fullback, wing and centre... his off field issues aside, on the paddock he's been a pretty reliable 6/10 with seasons up higher.

Campese has that 9/10 season and the two that followed it... lucky if they were 2/10 seasons. Now that's not his fault, injuries are to blame for that... but how can anyone argue that Campese's body of work in 2010-2019 trumps Wighton's? You couldnt.
Now this will all probably be moot because Wighton looks like he'll be in the team at fullback, in which case Campese probably gets in... but if this was a stand alone poll, and no others had any bearing, there is absolutely no logical argument for Campese over Wighton. None.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: December 9, 2019, 7:27 am And FWIW, no one is disputing how good Campese was in 2010, the problem for me is, it ultimately ended up resulting in a 2nd round exit. Wighton was huge for us this year, and he played a huge role in getting us to the GF and on the brink of winning the whole damn thing. Wighton has also put in other quality work in 2010's, at fullback, wing and centre... his off field issues aside, on the paddock he's been a pretty reliable 6/10 with seasons up higher.

Campese has that 9/10 season and the two that followed it... lucky if they were 2/10 seasons. Now that's not his fault, injuries are to blame for that... but how can anyone argue that Campese's body of work in 2010-2019 trumps Wighton's? You couldnt.
Now this will all probably be moot because Wighton looks like he'll be in the team at fullback, in which case Campese probably gets in... but if this was a stand alone poll, and no others had any bearing, there is absolutely no logical argument for Campese over Wighton. None.
Who do you have at halfback? Coz the choices are going to be Herbert (2010), McCrone, Williams or Sezer (Cornish is in there too)? Sezer was there for a prelim and a GF, and so its really a non choice between the 4.

However, this is why I argue that despite wearing the 6, Campo was actually our halfback. In that instance, we can have the 2014 (?) combo of Jack and Campo reunited. As, I believe having 3 of Campo (#7), Wighton (#6), Dugan and Milf (fighting for the #1) (OR, all 4, if you take 1 as your utility), is better than having to exclude 2 of these guys.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I think you need to pick people where they played otherwise the poll wouldn't be split up on position. It'd just be "name your best 17", and that opens a whole new can of worms.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

zim wrote: December 9, 2019, 10:09 am I think you need to pick people where they played otherwise the poll wouldn't be split up on position. It'd just be "name your best 17", and that opens a whole new can of worms.
Thats my point. Campo wore 6 (suggesting 5/8), but actually played halfback. He was the primary playmarker. Therefore, I want to pick him in position, not numbered designation. :D
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: December 9, 2019, 10:05 am
Botman wrote: December 9, 2019, 7:27 am And FWIW, no one is disputing how good Campese was in 2010, the problem for me is, it ultimately ended up resulting in a 2nd round exit. Wighton was huge for us this year, and he played a huge role in getting us to the GF and on the brink of winning the whole damn thing. Wighton has also put in other quality work in 2010's, at fullback, wing and centre... his off field issues aside, on the paddock he's been a pretty reliable 6/10 with seasons up higher.

Who do you have at halfback? Coz the choices are going to be Herbert, McCrone, Williams or Sezer? Sezer was there for a prelim and a GF, and so its really a non choice between the 4.

However, this is why I argue that despite wearing the 6, Campo was actually our halfback. In that instance, we can have the 2011 (?) combo of Jack and Campo reunited. As, I believe having 3 of Campo (#7), Wighton (#6), Dugan and Milf (fighting for the #1) (OR, all 4, if you take 1 as your utility), is better than having to exclude 2 of these guys.
If im picking #7 for 2010-2019... if Campese is an option, it'll be between him and Sezer. And that'll be a internal debate about whether Campese being the driving force in the 2010 season trumps Sezer's role playing status in 2016 and 2019 which were both more successful seasons. Id support Campese's inclusion given i agree he was ultimately a halfback for us in role, though not in jersey number.

if Campo isnt included in that, then it's a lay down misere for Sezer at halfback.

Its all pretty moot, as Campese seems to be winning this poll and Wighton the fullback poll, but if i had it my way. Campese wouldnt make it and i dont share the lament about that. He was incredible in 2010, and white hot garbage in the 2 seasons that followed. I dont have any real need or desire to shoehorn Campese in this team. I dont think his body of work in 2010-2019 was significant enough to be picked over Wighton in a vacuum

People will get their wish, the team will end up having Wighton and Campese in the team.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: December 9, 2019, 10:14 am
Matt wrote: December 9, 2019, 10:05 am

Who do you have at halfback? Coz the choices are going to be Herbert, McCrone, Williams or Sezer? Sezer was there for a prelim and a GF, and so its really a non choice between the 4.

However, this is why I argue that despite wearing the 6, Campo was actually our halfback. In that instance, we can have the 2011 (?) combo of Jack and Campo reunited. As, I believe having 3 of Campo (#7), Wighton (#6), Dugan and Milf (fighting for the #1) (OR, all 4, if you take 1 as your utility), is better than having to exclude 2 of these guys.
If im picking #7 for 2010-2019... if Campese is an option, it'll be between him and Sezer. And that'll be a internal debate about whether Campese being the driving force in the 2010 season trumps Sezer's role playing status in 2016 and 2019 which were both more successful seasons. Id support Campese's inclusion given i agree he was ultimately a halfback for us in role, though not in jersey number.

if Campo isnt included in that, then it's a lay down misere for Sezer at halfback.

Its all pretty moot, as Campese seems to be winning this poll and Wighton the fullback poll, but if i had it my way. Campese wouldnt make it and i dont share the lament about that. He was incredible in 2010, and white hot garbage in the 2 seasons that followed. I dont have any real need or desire to shoehorn Campese in this team. I dont think his body of work in 2010-2019 was significant enough to be picked over Wighton in a vacuum

People will get their wish, the team will end up having Wighton and Campese in the team.
Fair enough.

As best I can tell, the only time Campo wore the 7, was when Jack was at 6 (probably half a season, max). So, I suspect GE will exclude him, and that both Cornish and Herbert will also be cut due to lack of game numbers.

Im with you, believing Campo was a halfback wearing 6, and therefore, Im much happier having the discussion about Campo's 2010 NRL dominance vs Sezer's part in '16 and '19. Hence, my having at least 3 of those spine players mentioned above.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Campese wore No. 7 nine times in 139 games, at the start of 2014. So he won’t qualify for the half back poll.

Cornish 15 appearances, doesn’t qualify.

Herbert qualifies with 23 appearances in No. 7.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

How does this work with the polls, @greeneyed?

Can Wighton be selected in two spots?
If he wins the fullback spot, does he get removed from this poll?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

See how it goes, but we could have some sort of tie breaker vote. He can’t be selected in two positions.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: December 9, 2019, 10:30 am Campese wore No. 7 nine times in 139 games, at the start of 2014. So he won’t qualify for the half back poll.

Cornish 15 appearances, doesn’t qualify.

Herbert qualifies with 23 appearances in No. 7.
In that case, I vote you rename it #6 and #7 of the decade. As I strongly believe Campo was our halfback, as the primary playmaker, even if he wore #6.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: December 9, 2019, 10:36 am See how it goes, but we could have some sort of tie breaker vote. He can’t be selected in two positions.
Roger. If Wighton wins the other vote, we've got 11-12 guys needing to revote here
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Who will the halfback nominations be? Any player repeats like FB/Five EIght
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

BadnMean wrote: December 9, 2019, 12:25 pm Who will the halfback nominations be? Any player repeats like FB/Five EIght
McCrone, Williams, Sezer and Herbert apparently. Cornish and Campo omitted.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Thanks Matt.

Hang on, what if WIghton wins FB and 5/8?