All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

papabear
Steve Walters

Re: NRL announces rule changes for trainers, endorses challenge system

Post by papabear »

greeneyed wrote: December 6, 2019, 5:34 pm
gangrenous wrote: December 6, 2019, 5:21 pm
* There were two main rule changes that were mandatory based on the grand final, and it sounds like they’ve both been botched!
* First of all trainers - you reset the play?! No you penalise the trainer’s team! Even with this rule in the grand final instead of Raiders having the ball in open field we get Roosters having last tackle again?! **** that for a joke. If I’m the Roosters trainer what’s the incentive for me not to have a crack at the ball?
* #6again - so the challenge system is supposed to address this? How? I’ll have to watch the video because I can’t fathom how that fixes the scenario.
It is absolutely incredible that the NRL has come up with this rule. It is what should happen if the ball touches the referee or spectator etc on the field. But a trainer interfering with play should OBVIOUSLY result in a penalty to the opposition. But no, not for the NRL!

It won't fix #SixAgain... it will take the pressure off the referee and NRL, that's all. It's a pressure valve... and it just means that there'd likely be video review of the incident. I suppose at least it would have allowed the Raiders to re-set, due to the delay.

The NRL hasn't done anything to clarify the rule which prevents referees changing their decisions.
I 100% agree with the bolded, it is beyond belief that this isnt a penalty against the team who have a trainer playing as a 14th man.
papabear
Steve Walters

Re: NRL announces rule changes for scrums, trainers, 20/40 kick, endorses challenge system

Post by papabear »

zim wrote: December 6, 2019, 11:06 am I'm not a fan of the 20/40 at all. The defensive team has put in a great kick and defended really well for 5 tackles only to have that entire effort taken away by 1 play.
I dont mind 20 / 40 keeps a bit of variety in the game.

The most boring part of league can be when attacking out of your own line, if you can successfully pull it off early in the game it should stop teams from committing all out to a rushing defence for fear of giving up another one, or they leave their edges open which a good team should try and exploit.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

get jack to drop back take the kick return and knock up a 20/40 on tackle 1

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

bonehead wrote: December 12, 2019, 10:16 am get jack to drop back take the kick return and knock up a 20/40 on tackle 1

Imagine prime Ricky Stuart and this rule?

Raiders would have been backpedalling from half way to get within the 20
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I wonder if this will promote more tackle 1 kicking

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Here's one for you on the 20/40...

20 metre restarts.... If i were coaching, my instructions to the team and Wighton would be very simple...A lot of the time the fullback is involved in chasing those grubbers... if a grubber goes into dead and it's a 20 metre restart the instructions are for wighton to race into a position that he feels comfortable in with a good angle and set himself... who ever picks the ball up, their job is to race as fast as they can to the spot, tap it and give it straight to wighton and as long as wingers and fullbacks are still inside our own 40, go and hit that 20/40. Wingers jobs are to sprint as fast as they can up that sideline, so they're either there to make the tackle if the ball doesnt go out, to take advantage of tap backs from wingers/fullbacks trying to avoid the 40/20, or even just to win the foot race if the ball doesnt go out and the opposition is either lazy or caught well out of position.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I actually like the 20/40 rule and for some reason thought it was an actual thing already that teams just never bothered to capitalise on

I was certain it used to be in place
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Bring in a 30/30 and a 10/50 too... keep the opposition always on their toes for a sharp kicking game!!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

The Nickman wrote:I actually like the 20/40 rule and for some reason thought it was an actual thing already that teams just never bothered to capitalise on

I was certain it used to be in place
only the brett finch optional restart

Edrick The Entertainer
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

True story. I once nailed a drop out with the wind behind me and on a hard Tuggeranong ground that actually bounced, rolled very hard and went dead at the other length of the field.

The referee awarded a 20m Tap for the opposition. I was furious as I thought they now needed to drop out.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

BJ wrote:True story. I once nailed a drop out with the wind behind me and on a hard Tuggeranong ground that actually bounced, rolled very hard and went dead at the other length of the field.

The referee awarded a 20m Tap for the opposition. I was furious as I thought they now needed to drop out.
I think if it went touch in goal, you're probably right.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

The Nickman wrote:Bring in a 30/30 and a 10/50 too... keep the opposition always on their toes for a sharp kicking game!!
A 10/10 gets you two sets of six. And a set of 17 steak knives.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

A trainer on the field should be a risk for that side, if the ball touches them, the other team would get 6 on that spot. You could at least kick at them then
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Neeeegz wrote: December 12, 2019, 7:45 pm A trainer on the field should be a risk for that side, if the ball touches them, the other team would get 6 on that spot. You could at least kick at them then
Agree. Unless theyre on for a player being down or as part of concussion protocol
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

simo wrote:
Neeeegz wrote: December 12, 2019, 7:45 pm A trainer on the field should be a risk for that side, if the ball touches them, the other team would get 6 on that spot. You could at least kick at them then
Agree. Unless theyre on for a player being down or as part of concussion protocol
The ref should stop play for that anyway, so your point is moo, EDIT
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yep, trainers shouldnt be on the park unless its a dead ball situation, or a player is needing to be attended to, in which case the game should be stopped anyways.
If they make those changes then replaying the tackle is not something i have a problem with because the only time a trainer will get hit is if he's attending to a hurt player, and i dont think you should punish a team for that, especially if by rule the game is to be stopped and the official has failed to do that.

If they dont place this level of restrictions on the trainers then this rule change has achieved very little in terms of creating fair and just ruling for this type of situation and it a total and complete whiff.

Im hopeful that serious restrictions on when trainers can be on the field are coming, though i am more likely than not going to be let down by the NRL and their competition committee.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

at a minimum any player being tended by a trainer should be on a knee

Edrick The Entertainer
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

The Nickman wrote: December 13, 2019, 6:26 am
simo wrote:
The ref should stop play for that anyway, so your point is moo, EDIT
What did you call me?!
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I called you what it's apparently fair game to call me, but I'm not allowed to reciprocate apparently.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

If the Some award with Hanbush winner of 2014 can't get a fair go, what hope is there for the rest of us? (I really just want to know what the banned word is)
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

wot?

Edrick The Entertainer
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

bonehead wrote: December 13, 2019, 11:53 am wot?
Tapatalk probably doesn't show the forum signatures.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

zim wrote: December 13, 2019, 11:42 am If the Some award with Hanbush winner of 2014 can't get a fair go, what hope is there for the rest of us? (I really just want to know what the banned word is)
Go to the "NSW Selectors are Racists" thread, apparently that expression is allowed when aimed in my direction.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Botman wrote: December 12, 2019, 2:48 pm Here's one for you on the 20/40...

20 metre restarts.... If i were coaching, my instructions to the team and Wighton would be very simple...A lot of the time the fullback is involved in chasing those grubbers... if a grubber goes into dead and it's a 20 metre restart the instructions are for wighton to race into a position that he feels comfortable in with a good angle and set himself... who ever picks the ball up, their job is to race as fast as they can to the spot, tap it and give it straight to wighton and as long as wingers and fullbacks are still inside our own 40, go and hit that 20/40. Wingers jobs are to sprint as fast as they can up that sideline, so they're either there to make the tackle if the ball doesnt go out, to take advantage of tap backs from wingers/fullbacks trying to avoid the 40/20, or even just to win the foot race if the ball doesnt go out and the opposition is either lazy or caught well out of position.
That’s actually already a rule. At a 20m rap you have the option to kick for touch and as long as it doesn’t go out on the full you get the ball back where it goes out. Doesn’t need to be 20/40.
However if you do kick it out on the full it’s a penalty to the opposition. Remember when Brett Finch took that option and stuffed it against Newcastle.

Now that you’ve reminded me of that it makes me think that in reality teams aren’t going to try this very often, since they haven’t attempted the kick from 20m restart for 10+ years
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders boss Don Furner questions need for NRL's captain's call

Canberra Raiders chief executive Don Furner dismisses the NRL's introduction of a captain's call as unnecessary time wasting. "I didn't see the need for it. I don't understand it," he said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

The Nickman wrote: December 13, 2019, 12:49 pm
zim wrote: December 13, 2019, 11:42 am If the Some award with Hanbush winner of 2014 can't get a fair go, what hope is there for the rest of us? (I really just want to know what the banned word is)
Go to the "NSW Selectors are Racists" thread, apparently that expression is allowed when aimed in my direction.
I noped out of that thread when I realised what direction it was headed in. But that sounds like very poor form.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

zim wrote: December 13, 2019, 4:29 pm
The Nickman wrote: December 13, 2019, 12:49 pm
I noped out of that thread when I realised what direction it was headed in. But that sounds like very poor form.
I think you have misunderstood zim.

The edits reflected name calling that involved swearing. To those involved, please desist from doing that. If people have complaints about the moderation, there’s a procedure set down in the forum guidelines. Send a PM to a moderator, don’t post them on the forum. Please follow that procedure everyone.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Thanks for clearing that up.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Fans have been complaining about trainers on the field for over a decade. Whenever players, ex players or commentators were asked about it they would just say it's no big deal.

This is the same Muppets complaining about the lack of creativity in players these days. They don't have to be creative as there is a trainer out there telling them what to do in every set of six.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Beejay wrote: December 13, 2019, 2:37 pm

That’s actually already a rule. At a 20m rap you have the option to kick for touch and as long as it doesn’t go out on the full you get the ball back where it goes out. Doesn’t need to be 20/40.
However if you do kick it out on the full it’s a penalty to the opposition. Remember when Brett Finch took that option and stuffed it against Newcastle.

Now that you’ve reminded me of that it makes me think that in reality teams aren’t going to try this very often, since they haven’t attempted the kick from 20m restart for 10+ years
Yeah that’s probably fair
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Botman wrote: December 14, 2019, 7:07 am

Yeah that’s probably fair
Its a drop kick from the 20 tap isnt it? Controlling the bounce from a drop kick isnt reliable. You can steer it from a normal kick.
Dont delete this GE
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Given only 37 40/20's were kicked during the entirety of last season (over ~200 games), I can't see too many teams being in position to execute a 20/40 under pressure.

We'd be lucky to see 10 all season. The risks of putting it out on the full are a pretty big disincentive.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Yes and no mate. Most teams these seem pretty comfortable defending inside their own 20. Sure it's something you wouldn't want to mess up a few times a game.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, I guess it depends on the status of the game.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »