2019 in review - Jack Murchie and JJ Collins

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is the twenty fifth - and final - instalment of 2019 in review. As usual, now the Raiders' season is over - the best for 25 years - we are reviewing all 26 players who pulled on a green jersey in first grade this year. So far, we've looked at Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Nick Cotric, Jarrod Croker, Joey Leilua, Jordan Rapana, Jack Wighton, Aidan Sezer, Josh Papalii, Josh Hodgson, Sia Soliola, John Bateman, Elliott Whitehead, Joe Tapine, Bailey Simonsson, Emre Guler, Corey Horsburgh, Dunamis Lui, Siliva Havili, Ryan Sutton, Hudson Young, Sam Williams, Michael Oldfield, Sebastian Kris and Tom Starling.

Jack Murchie made his NRL debut in 2018, playing two matches - but only registered one appearance in firsts in 2019. He's represented at Junior Blues and Kangaroos level, and was named man of the match in the Blues' 2017 Origin match. He was also named in the NYC Team of the Year in 2017.

I rated him a 6/10 for his Round 7 appearance against the Manly Sea Eagles. Clearly, not much can be made of his NRL statistics, but he would have wanted to avoid the try cause and two penalties conceded in that game. He made 17 appearances for Mounties in NSW Cup and performed pretty well overall. He scored five tries in "reserve grade", as well as making five line breaks, five offloads and 99.5 running metres on average. He also averaged 25 tackles per game and posted a tackle efficiency rate of 85 per cent.

Murchie is a young Raiders player with strong potential. However, it is no doubt tough forcing your way into first grade when the Raiders have the likes of Elliott Whitehead, John Bateman and Joe Tapine in their back row ranks. He's contracted to the Green Machine until the end of 2020. There was a report he was being "shopped" to Super League clubs towards the end of the season - but if that was correct it is far too early for him to be considering that in my view. Nevertheless, he'll be wanting to lift further next season, so as to prove his worth for 2021.

How did you rate Jack Murchie's 2019? Tell us below.

Jack Murchie's 2019: 3/10

2019 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 1
Average minutes: 60
Tries: 0
Try assists: 0
Try contributions: 0
Total try involvements: 0
Total kicks: 0
Kick metres: 0
Average kicking metres per match: 0
Total runs: 7
All run metres: 57
Average metres per carry: 8.1
Average metres per game: 57
Tackle breaks: 0
Offloads: 0
Line breaks: 0
Line break assists: 0
Tackles: 32
Average tackles per game: 32
1 on 1 tackles: 1
Missed tackles: 3
Average missed tackles per game: 3
Tackle efficiency: 82 per cent
Try causes: 1
Line break causes: 1
Errors: 0
Penalties conceded: 2

JJ Collins signed with the Raiders on a two year deal in November last year, having previously played at the Wests Tigers and Newcastle Knights. He made only one first grade appearance in green this season, the Round 6 win over the Brisbane Broncos. He played for just 16 minutes and I rated him 4/10. The prop made 17 appearances for Mounties in NSW Cup this year, performing creditably at that level. He averaged 125 running metres and 58 post contact metres per game, as well as a total of 27 tackle breaks and nine offloads. He averaged 23 tackles and 1.1 missed tackles per game - delivering a 91 per cent tackle efficiency rate. Collins is another player who will be looking to lift in 2020, in a contract renewal year.

How did you rate JJ Collins' 2019? Tell us below.

JJ Collins' 2019: 2/10

2019 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 1
Average minutes: 16
Tries: 0
Try assists: 0
Try contributions: 0
Total try involvements: 0
Total kicks: 0
Kick metres: 0
Average kicking metres per match: 0
Total runs: 4
All run metres: 30
Average metres per carry: 7.5
Average metres per game: 30
Tackle breaks: 0
Offloads: 0
Line breaks: 0
Line break assists: 0
Tackles: 13
Average tackles per game: 13
1 on 1 tackles: 0
Missed tackles: 1
Average missed tackles per game: 1
Tackle efficiency: 92 per cent
Try causes: 0
Line break causes: 0
Errors: 0
Penalties conceded: 0
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: 2019 in review - Jack Murchie and JJ Collins

Post by Matt »

One game each is tough, but 3 and 2 is still probably too high. Starling and Kris with 3 and 4 games got 3s. I'd go 2 and 1.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

i don't understand why Murchie isn't getting a crack, hasn't looked out of place at all in very limited opportunities

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

bonehead wrote: December 6, 2019, 8:28 am i don't understand why Murchie isn't getting a crack, hasn't looked out of place at all in very limited opportunities

Because in the last coupe of yrs he has been stuck behind Whitehead, Tapine, Bateman, Papa who all had/ have mortgages on the edges. Ricky was running with a stacked middles bench of Havilii plus 3 props, with Sia the edge cover. Now Young has come on the scene too.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

1/10 as an appearance fee.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I can't rate them on such little footy.

I thought Collins was used quite oddly, particarly having him ride the bench in the Warriors game.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Matt wrote:
bonehead wrote: December 6, 2019, 8:28 am i don't understand why Murchie isn't getting a crack, hasn't looked out of place at all in very limited opportunities

Because in the last coupe of yrs he has been stuck behind Whitehead, Tapine, Bateman, Papa who all had/ have mortgages on the edges. Ricky was running with a stacked middles bench of Havilii plus 3 props, with Sia the edge cover. Now Young has come on the scene too.
he's better than young and Tapine missed large chunks of footy, JJ was on the extended bench more times too.
2020 would be nice to see Murchie really put his hand up

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Matt wrote: December 6, 2019, 8:50 am

One issue is his tackle efficiency percentage... he seemed to be bulkier this year, but I suspect that impacted his movement. I think he is potentially a very talented player, and looked good in junior grades.