POLL: Canberra Raiders 2010s Team of the Decade: Fullback

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who should be the fullback in the Canberra Raiders Team of the 2010s?

Josh Dugan
10%
Anthony Milford
6%
Jack Wighton
42%
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
42%

Total votes: 77

greeneyed
Don Furner

POLL: Canberra Raiders 2010s Team of the Decade: Fullback

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders 2010s Team of the Decade: Fullback

It has been 10 years since The Greenhouse voted on the Canberra Raiders Team of the Decade - for the 2000s. Back in 2009, Clinton Schifcofske was voted Canberra Raiders Fullback of the 2000s. Now it is time to vote on the Fullback of the 2010s!

Here are the nominees:

Josh Dugan

Josh Dugan made his NRL debut with the Raiders in Round 4 of 2009, against the Cowboys. The Raiders junior was part of the premiership winning 2018 Toyota Cup team, but the mercurial runner unfortunately had a falling out with the club in early 2013, essentially walking out on his contract. He played 70 games for the Raiders, all but three in the No. 1 jersey. He scored 27 tries for Canberra, seven goals and one field goal. He represented NSW Country, NRL All Stars and the New South Wales Blues from the club. He played 12 Tests for Australia after leaving the club.

Anthony Milford

Anthony Milford played 42 first grade games for the Raiders in 2013-14, before the Brisbane-born Raiders junior was poached by the Broncos. He played his first game in the No. 1 jersey in Round 17 of 2013 against the Cowboys, and played 25 games in that position - shifting to five eighth for his final final games with the club. He scored 21 tries for the Green Machine, plus three goals and two field goals.

Jack Wighton

Jack Wighton debuted on the wing in 2012 and played in the outside backs for his first two seasons in first grade. He was tried at five eighth at the start of 2014, but that was not a successful move and he shifted back to centre in Round 10. He was tried at fullback for the first time in Round 24 in 2014, with Anthony Milford set to leave the club. He played the final three games in the No. 1 jersey that year, and became the regular fullback in 2015. He played 85 of his 156 matches with the Raiders at fullback, before successfully shifting to five eighth in 2019. He has scored 46 tries for the Raiders, and represented NSW Country and Indigenous All Stars while playing at fullback. He made his debut for the New South Wales Blues and Australia in 2019.

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad joined the Raiders in 2019, and the little known Warriors back was a revelation in his first full season at fullback. He played 26 games in 2019 in the No. 1 jersey, including the Grand Final. He was selected for the New Zealand Kiwis for their end of season Test matches.

Remember, if you'd rather vote for a nominated player in another position... don't vote for them here! You have ONE vote in this poll. You may change your vote.

See the list of all the Canberra Raiders players of the 2010s... and the results of the polls as they unfold: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33793
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: POLL: Canberra Raiders Team of the Decade - the 2010s: Fullback

Post by greeneyed »

This is going to be a difficult choice!
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Can jack win both fullback and five eighth? I’d say CNK but it’s a bit early imo. Milf was only a season and a half at the position and I don’t want Dugan anywhere near a raiders team of the decade.... I’d say he makes a solid case though..

Therefor my vote goes to Wighton, unless it is against the rules for him to win both positions. Then my vote goes to Dugan...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

They can only be selected in one position. So if Jack wins this... he's out of the five eighth poll... unless there's a call for a re-vote. I'll probably run the spine position polls concurrently. Five eighth, halfback and hooker will be the next polls.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

grim scenes

It's honestly probably Milford or Dugan... their highs were INCREDIBLY high... i mean for Dugan, the first 18 months or so he was just the apple of all our eyes and rightfully so, that was a supremely talented kid who rolled into FG and took big Dave Taylor over the sidelines in a meaningless game just to win a footy game
He was tough, skillful and living up to all the hype... i would say it's not him because he **** on the club in a way that can not be forgotten

Milford was a superior talent, like this is a guy who was Ponga before anyone knew who Ponga was. The most talented footballer i've ever seen. I say it all the time, but ill never forgive the Broncos for what they have turned him into. And although he left, he never did the club dirty, he played out his contract, gave his absolute all in every game he played and single handedly won us footy games and gave us hope at a time where there wasn't much

I dont think CNK has played enough footy for us to get the gig. And Wighton probably needs to be held out here for the 5/8th role given the absolute **** **** show we'll be looking at for that position without him.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

On out and out fullback ability it would be Dugan for me, with Wighton second

He was awesome between 2010-12, in a time we were absolute rubbish, but still made the finals 2/3 years

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah, if i ignored his departure from the club and the 12 months lead up to that, it's Dugan in a canter... but i personally cant ignore that.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

CNK is a Raiders grand final fullback, and I’m going to use that as my excuse to overlook other candidates with longer resumes
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

gangrenous wrote:CNK is a Raiders grand final fullback, and I’m going to use that as my excuse to overlook other candidates with longer resumes Image
Yeah while I agree it should be too early for CNK to be considered, he’s the only Fullback on the list to take us to the promised land.

I think he gets my vote. It’s a pretty ugly list.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If you want your vote to count, please make sure you vote in the poll!
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Re: POLL: Canberra Raiders 2010s Team of the Decade: Fullback

Post by Danaman137 »

greeneyed wrote:They can only be selected in one position. So if Jack wins this... he's out of the five eighth poll... unless there's a call for a re-vote. I'll probably run the spine position polls concurrently. Five eighth, halfback and hooker will be the next polls.
In that case chalk my vote up to Duges

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: December 5, 2019, 9:04 pm grim scenes

It's honestly probably Milford or Dugan... their highs were INCREDIBLY high... i mean for Dugan, the first 18 months or so he was just the apple of all our eyes and rightfully so, that was a supremely talented kid who rolled into FG and took big Dave Taylor over the sidelines in a meaningless game just to win a footy game
He was tough, skillful and living up to all the hype... i would say it's not him because he **** on the club in a way that can not be forgotten

Milford was a superior talent, like this is a guy who was Ponga before anyone knew who Ponga was. The most talented footballer i've ever seen. I say it all the time, but ill never forgive the Broncos for what they have turned him into. And although he left, he never did the club dirty, he played out his contract, gave his absolute all in every game he played and single handedly won us footy games and gave us hope at a time where there wasn't much

I dont think CNK has played enough footy for us to get the gig. And Wighton probably needs to be held out here for the 5/8th role given the absolute **** **** show we'll be looking at for that position without him.
The options shaping for five eighth are Terry Campese, Josh McCrone, Blake Austin and Jack Wighton. I don’t think Milford played enough games there to get a nod for that. Blake was the Dally M Five Eighth of the Year, remember... and Terry Campese led the team to the 2010 finals.

I will aim to put that poll up tomorrow.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Josh Mccrone

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I so want to vote for CNK, but I'd probably have to go Dugan if I put all the bastardry aside.

Seriously, the bloke's tenure here was an absolute stain on the organisation, but he's probably the best all-round fullback on that list.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Dugan’s first couple of years, where he had no regard for his body (now it’s the complete opposite) he was unbelievable. E.g. that time he stopped Dave Taylor and almost suicided.

Wighton’s not far off.

Milford’s further away.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: December 5, 2019, 10:52 pm

The options shaping for five eighth are Terry Campese, Josh McCrone, Blake Austin and Jack Wighton. I don’t think Milford played enough games there to get a nod for that. Blake was the Dally M Five Eighth of the Year, remember... and Terry Campese led the team to the 2010 finals.

I will aim to put that poll up tomorrow.
who do you have as the halfbacks?
Coz while Campo wore the #6, Id argue he was our halfback
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Agreed Botman.
I wanna go Duges, but the sour taste is still there. BTW, Duges took down the Coal Train twice in consecutive dropout sets.
Milf's stink isnt as bad, so he is my pick.
However... I wouldnt pick Jack at 6 over Campo, even if Id take Jacks 2019 over Austins 2015 (or was 2016 his Dally M run?)
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

It's Josh Dugan guys and dolls.

Unfortunately
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

For mine the one player it can't possibly be is Dugan. He did a huge amount of damage to the club and would've cost us dozens of wins indirectly.

Even if you ignore that, I don't think he is an obvious choice given his first year was last decade and it was one of his best.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

-PJ- wrote: December 6, 2019, 9:33 am It's Josh Dugan guys and dolls.

Unfortunately
Yep. Despite being the softserve, cowardly, ungrateful prick that he is.

Jax Bogan has created a rare consensus amongst members of The GH - I can't think of anyone who doesn't think the guy is an absolutely pathetic ****.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: December 5, 2019, 8:35 pm This is going to be a difficult choice!
No it's not, it's easily Jack Wighton. He played 85 games for us at fullback, which is more than either Dugan OR Milford. Not counting this season he played all his best football at fullback, and aside from this season the only preliminary final we've made in the last 20 years was with Jack Wighton at fullback.

I'm absolutely astounded anybody could vote any other way.
Last edited by The Nickman on December 6, 2019, 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

@Matt , I’ll save it for the 5/8th thread but to my mind jack has already surpassed campo for the 10’s
Campo’s best work was done 2008-2010
After the 2010 season he was a shadow of his former self
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote: December 6, 2019, 4:18 pm @Matt , I’ll save it for the 5/8th thread but to my mind jack has already surpassed campo for the 10’s
2010 counts as part of the last decade, fam.

And there's no way Wighton this season was better than Campo in 2010.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Rick wrote:Josh Mccrone

Surely he's winning halfback
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Nickman wrote: December 6, 2019, 4:17 pm
greeneyed wrote: December 5, 2019, 8:35 pm This is going to be a difficult choice!
No it's not, it's easily Jack Wighton. He played 85 games for us at fullback, which is more than either Dugan OR Milford. Not counting this season he played all his best football at fullback, and aside from this season the only preliminary final we've made in the last 20 years was with Jack Wighton at fullback.

I'm absolutely astounded anybody could vote any other way.
I voted Jack Wighton myself, but I think Dugan and Milford were probably more suited to full back and more naturally talented in the role. For obvious reasons, I couldn't vote for Dugan or Milford. I'm likely to vote for Campese at five eighth, so it made Wighton the clear choice in the end. I'd like to see how Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad goes in developing ball playing skills and in more than one season.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

I was going to vote Wighton... until I realised we need to pick Centres too.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: December 6, 2019, 4:20 pm
Botman wrote: December 6, 2019, 4:18 pm @Matt , I’ll save it for the 5/8th thread but to my mind jack has already surpassed campo for the 10’s
2010 counts as part of the last decade, fam.

And there's no way Wighton this season was better than Campo in 2010.
He won the CCM and represented his country and state. I’d have that over Campo for sure
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I have altered the poll so you can change your votes if you wish.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

The answer is Zac Santo.
Pilz
David Grant
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Pilz »

-PJ- wrote: December 6, 2019, 9:33 am It's Josh Dugan guys and dolls.
Yes, you're probably right, and No, he's not getting my vote.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Can't vote Jack for centres because he barely ever played there for us.

Can't vote for Duges because he's Duges. Milford... meh.

I'm voting Charnze- I don't think any of the other nominees ever contributed as much in a single season to the team on or off the field.

I'm hoping I can vote Jack for #6 and Campo as halves partner...
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Wighton.

I think he was under rated at fullback and towards the end of his tenure there he was very good. Dugan’s 3 seasons were good and he burst onto the scene but while he was a goer (and at his peak as a player imo) he was always very limited in attack besides running in hindsight.

Also I think this team makes more sense with Wighton at 1 and Austin or Campese at 6.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

If I compare Dugan and Wighton, Wighton played more games and we actually made a prelim with him there, but Dugan is clearly the better fullback.
Wighton has always been a good player and athlete, but not a very good fullback.
So I can’t pick Wighton as our best fullback.
But Dugan was a selfish ass though, and we didn’t succeed as a team with him there. Also I hate him.

All the way with CNK.
Sure it was only a year, but his all round game is already better than Wighton ever was as a fullback. Particularly defence, and his positioning on kicks, low error rate, and ability to get out of the in goal.
His fullback play is at the same all round level that Dugan delivered, but we actually achieved as a team with him there.

CNK is a selfless team player who nailed the fullback position and significantly contributed to the team going to our first GF in 25yrs. How can it not be him?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Beejay absolutely on the money. Agree with it all.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Dugan and Milford are overrated. Had their moments but didn't offer any consistency.

Wighton was great as a last line of defence and his attack was pretty good. Terrible at positioning for kick reception though.

Cnk had a year of being the complete fullback other than his passing game. I'd say his one year high beats Wighton in 2016, so I'm running with Cnk.

None of these guys held the role long enough for longevity to be a factor.