I think we're close, is 2020 our year?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: I think we're close, is 2020 our year?

Post by Seiffert82 »

I don't think our personnel has it in them to be particularly structured in attack. Williams, Leilua, Wighton, Hodgo and Bateman are all unpredictable with the ball, with good running games. If CNK can add a bit of ball playing and sniffing out offloads around the ruck, it could open up real opportunities for our outside backs.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Botman wrote: December 3, 2019, 8:35 pm Your last sentence is the only one that matters
Practically, nothing outside of your control must be allowed to matter. Once it does it's a distraction, its an excuse and it paves the way for failure.

A life time of watching and participating in sports (albeit a long time ago on the latter) has cemented one truism about sport - every single successful sporting team i have seen or been involved with was entirely focused on what their performance and working on their strengths and improving their weaknesess. Good teams, across any area achieve what they should. great teams overcome the barriers that hold them back from being good to being great.

I have not seen a single successful sporting team who was outwardly focused the way this club and this fanbase has typically been.

This club does have some disadvantages, but i am hardened now (as opposed to years before) in my belief that none of them preclude us from being successful. We are responible for our success or failure. Success might come harder for us than others, but it's achievable if we focus on being the best we can be, instead of focusing on the uncontrollable barriers that hold us back
Preach!!
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I am very hopeful for 2020. If Wighton improves only 1% we are in good stead. His kicking game is where I hope to see the most improvement. He built nicely on that aspect of his game in 2019.

I am hoping that the coaching staff give George Williams a very simple game plan to begin with - back up through the middle, make your tackles, get Bateman and Leilua quick/early ball. If he builds on that, great, but doing those three things well is all we need him to do early on.

In the forwards it would be great to see the younger players progress, especially Horsburgh. Guler is trending well, the difference between him at the start of the year and in the Finals was vast. Especially defensively. Those guys need to take the pressure of Papalii and Soliola. And Sutton is a wildcard, his best is outstanding. I would love to see him starting next year with Sia, Horsburgh and Guler as a highly effective bench mob. And if Hudson Young can keep his hands to himself he will play a strong part too.

CNK, Cotric and Scott (likely) will be a high workrate back three.

20 plus games (and injury free in the Finals) from each of Papalii, Wighton, Hodgson and Bateman and we will win the Premiership, imo.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Scott will be the mystery man. If he’s ‘on’ it could make a difference
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

I am impressed with the way social media portrays the Raiders as treating "sixagain" as a joke from the past we aren't worried about. Which is great because of course we shouldn't be. Botman's remarks about Bill Belichick are also on the money: you have to look at what your squad has right now and game plan around that, rather than assume that you can game plan and then make your squad fit in. That's because I'm pretty sure we have a dominant dummy half and essentially two 5/8s - so the plan has to be a an attack like a christmas tree, a pointy end that flows out evenly to either side via running halves and skilled backrowers.

Which means that we will need increased oomph in the centre of the field from last years' more inexperienced forwards. I don't see why not...

Oh, and on previous form you'd expect Junior Paulo to not meet Parra fans' expectations...
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I think Paulo's 2020 will be better than his 2019. Looks like he's actually at pre-raiders fitness. That's not to mean we were the problem. He's the problem and he looks switched on now.
Still won't meet their expectations haha. I've heard he'll be the best forward in the NRL. :cool:
They're going to have a a good year. Good forwards. Solid spine. Strike out wide.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Our club has lurched from good to bad, year to year for the past 15 years. Much of the inconsistency has come down to attitude so getting that right is the key. I think we have the right personnel to ensure that complacency doesn't affect the side - with Bateman epitomizing that 'win at all cost' attitude. However we can't take anything for granted with this club.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Nearly there: Canberra Raiders' drought-breaking NRL premiership within reach

Post by greeneyed »

Nearly there: Canberra Raiders' drought-breaking NRL premiership within reach

Where there's life, there's hope. Which means there's plenty of life in Canberra going into the next decade. And it's the Canberra Raiders providing that life after a stunning 2019.

It's safe to say the expectation on the Green Machine at the end of the decade far outweighs what it was at the start. Making an NRL grand final kind of does that.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Nearly there: Canberra Raiders' drought-breaking NRL premiership within reach

Post by greeneyed »

'Six again' are two words Canberrans never want to hear again

The Canberra Times sports team reflect on the 10 biggest stories that defined sport in the capital over the past 12 months.

1. Six again
2. Raiders break 25-year grand final drought
10. Raiders return to Origin Blues

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
BJ
Steve Walters

Re: Nearly there: Canberra Raiders' drought-breaking NRL premiership within reach

Post by BJ »

I just put myself through watching the grand final.

Roosters really got very lucky!!!! Gee we played well. High intensity in both attack and defence.

Apart from the well talked about mistakes by the refs. There were a number of other incidents that went against us.

Cordner caught the ball outside the in goal but before it bounced, something the refs have consistently policed of late.

There were some head highs on Raiders players that were let go.

The Roosters were regularly called about getting their hand off the ball in the ruck but were never penalised.

Cronk was caught clearly offside a few times but not penalised.

Roosters did small drops of the ball or didn’t use their feet in the ruck quite a number of times.

Cronk in particular got away with a few clearly forward short passes. Some were clear live at the ground on the day, but were also dodgy on camera and called dubious by Rabbits Warren.

All in all, the green team certainly didn’t receive the rub of the green. Very difficult watch.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I'm tempering expectations in the early rounds while being fairly confident we'll hit our straps at the right time. The one major change is at halfback.

We were very settled in our run to the GF. Williams coming in will likely disrupt that initially. Once things start to gel I expect us to be far more dangerous with the ball. That can make the difference between being grand finalists and premiers. Of course the key will be to maintain our defensive standards of 2019.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

BJ wrote: January 1, 2020, 11:02 am I just put myself through watching the grand final.

Roosters really got very lucky!!!! Gee we played well. High intensity in both attack and defence.

Apart from the well talked about mistakes by the refs. There were a number of other incidents that went against us.

Cordner caught the ball outside the in goal but before it bounced, something the refs have consistently policed of late.

The Roosters were regularly called about getting their hand off the ball in the ruck but were never penalised.

Roosters did small drops of the ball or didn’t use their feet in the ruck quite a number of times.

Cronk in particular got away with a few clearly forward short passes. Some were clear live at the ground on the day, but were also dodgy on camera and called dubious by Rabbits Warren.

All in all, the green team certainly didn’t receive the rub of the green. Very difficult watch.
Cronk was offside all night. Boney and I watched the game together and mentioned it a brazillion times. But hey..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

-PJ- wrote: January 1, 2020, 1:40 pm
BJ wrote: January 1, 2020, 11:02 am I just put myself through watching the grand final.

Cronk was offside all night. Boney and I watched the game together and mentioned it a brazillion times. But hey..
We were the better team for most of that game. The Roosters got away with it, that's for sure.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

"Brazillion times". Is that a South American newspaper or a point in history when you did a lot of manscaping?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yes we were the better team for most of the game, but we didn't deliver the killer blow IMO. That's on us, and hopefully the old adage of 'lose one to win one' holds true for us in the next few seasons.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Northern Raider wrote: January 1, 2020, 1:52 pm

"Brazillion times". Is that a South American newspaper or a point in history when you did a lot of manscaping?
You know what a brazillion is...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

South American newspaper. :lol:
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

-PJ- wrote:

There was one point where Cronk was caught at neither marker or in the line and I think all players were waiting for a penalty, but the ref ignored it.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

You blokes are off your head. Roosters were hard done by, the newspaper (and Robo) told me so.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

BJ wrote: January 1, 2020, 7:39 pm
-PJ- wrote:

There was one point where Cronk was caught at neither marker or in the line and I think all players were waiting for a penalty, but the ref ignored it.
Cummins again no doubt?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Why the Canberra Raiders will go one better in 2020
Tim Gavel

The Raiders have been one of the more stable teams in the off-season with minimal disruption. Even the departure of Aidan Sezer and Jordan Rapana created few waves with ready-made replacements available.

Those replacements should make the Raiders an even better team in 2020 with George Williams and Curtis Scott – two players with the ability to maximise the team’s already impressive arsenal – filling some pretty impressive boots.

Read more: https://the-riotact.com/why-the-canberr ... 020/346290

Canberra’s sportiest family looks ahead to 2020: https://the-riotact.com/canberras-sport ... 020/347048
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Starting to hear more and more voices suggesting it's Joey to the bench and used as an impact player. If our outside backs get lucky with injury it wouldn't be a bad solution imo.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Begbie wrote: January 3, 2020, 12:59 pm Starting to hear more and more voices suggesting it's Joey to the bench and used as an impact player. If our outside backs get lucky with injury it wouldn't be a bad solution imo.
Yes, it seems to be the plan.
gutto
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: john chicka ferguson

Post by gutto »

I think that is a good idea.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL Grand Final prospects

Hot on the heels of the Storm are last season’s runners-up Canberra Raiders. They currently sit at 11/2 in the betting. The signing of Wigan Warriors star George Williams could be the catalyst the Raiders need to go one step further in 2020. We are sure plenty of punters will be interested in a little dabble at that price.

Read more: https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/2020-nrl ... ing-25704/
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: January 3, 2020, 1:38 pm
Begbie wrote: January 3, 2020, 12:59 pm Starting to hear more and more voices suggesting it's Joey to the bench and used as an impact player. If our outside backs get lucky with injury it wouldn't be a bad solution imo.
Yes, it seems to be the plan.
Probably makes the most sense long term, given Bj is not going to be here this time next year.
I dont know that it makes us the best team we can be for 2020. And im still going to be pretty surprised if he's here round 1 2020, and more surprised if he's here post mid season transfer deadline if that's going to be his role for us.

Changing his role like this feels to me like the sort of thing you in order to nudge them towards finding a new home.
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Well bookies have us on the 3rd line at 7 bucks so at least someone has faith in us.... i too am worried that we will do what we did in 16, 17 and 18. We had a fantastic year in 16 and everyone thought we were shoe ins for the next year... all we got was disappointment. If williams has a decent year we should at least crack the 8 with curtis scott being a pretty good pick up.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Azza wrote: January 1, 2020, 2:28 pm Yes we were the better team for most of the game, but we didn't deliver the killer blow IMO. That's on us, and hopefully the old adage of 'lose one to win one' holds true for us in the next few seasons.
Agree 100%.

Was at the game and reading this thread brought back memories of the day both good and bad.

I want it so bad this year!

I hope the team use the GF as motivation to do what is needed to reach that 'next level', rather than sook about poor referee outcomes.

Like it or not, in 2019 the Roosters were that 'next level'.