Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart 'disappointed in our game'

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Canberra Times is reporting that Ricky Stuart is disappointed that the NRL does not offer proper incentives for the clubs to develop talent - and wants compensation for poaching.

"It's in our charter to develop rugby league and develop young players," Stuart said. "But you don't get rewarded for it which just makes me disappointed in our game. Less clubs are developing, there are more and more clubs now poaching."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart 'disappointed in our game'

Post by Botman »

I actually think the club is handling this all very well
They are still just as vocal as they have always been about this, but no longer do they appear content to keep their heads in the sands and wait for change on this matter

I think they begin to reinvest back into the development when its incentivised to do so, until then they've got a strategy of targetted recruitment in ways that limit the impact of factors that have held us back for so long, and that is yeilding significant returns
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Botman wrote:I actually think the club is handling this all very well
They are still just as vocal as they have always been about this, but no longer do they appear content to keep their heads in the sands and wait for change on this matter

I think they begin to reinvest back into the development when its incentivised to do so, until then they've got a strategy of targetted recruitment in ways that limit the impact of factors that have held us back for so long, and that is yeilding significant returns
Ricky makes some good points. In my opinion an idea would be to limit the use of development contracts to players under 23 and number should be increased to 10. If a player on a development contract has played 20’s with the same club and plays NRL then it should be exempt from the cap.
We have signed Hingano on a development contract which to me is poor form. Just a opinion but a development contract is exactly that, not for has been insurance policies.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

A balanced incentive to develop players would be good for the game.

Don’t let clubs like Broncos win lots of premierships with rolling development incentives, but the game is at the other end of the scale at the moment with the Roosters cherry picking the best teenagers whilst also buying developed talent like Tedesco, Creighton and Cronk.
Last edited by BJ on November 29, 2019, 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I wouldn’t want the number of development players increased to 10. You’d just have clubs like the Roosters warehousing a whole pile of young players. Development players are already outside the salary cap... I thought anyway.

But I agree Hingano shouldn’t be on a development contract. Once you’re a top 30 contract... I can’t see why a club should be allowed to subsequently put a player on a development contract.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

greeneyed wrote:I wouldn’t want the number of development players increased to 10. You’d just have clubs like the Roosters warehousing a whole pile of young players. Development players are already outside the salary cap... I thought anyway.
Retention of our younger players would be easier of we had our own reserve grade. Players on development contracts should be playing NSW cup, not in the Canberra comp like last year (Ohagan).Increasing the number allows recruitment mistakes to be rectified where they have back ended SG ball super stars on 3 year deals with guaranteed development contracts who turn out flops in the 20’s. Regardless just an opinion and the NRL need to do something.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think the Raiders would be much better off with their own NSW Cup team, no doubt. It’d be better for rugby league in the district. But you don’t need players on development contracts... you just put them on NSW Cup contracts. If players aren’t playing up to NSW Cup standards, they should play Canberra Raiders Cup...
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Taking a step back on whether cap concessions benefit our club or not, from a purely economic perspective the NRL are crazy not to incentivise clubs to pour their own finances into junior development. If cap concessions are one way to encourage that, then I have absolutely no idea why the NRL aren't having that conversation.

In a code where there is no centralised funding for development of juniors to feed into a draft (or somesuch), Rugby League relies heavily on the NRL clubs to fund, grow and promote the game. There should be incentives in place to make all clubs invest even more in junior development.