All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2020

Post by zim »

Haha yeah agree. No way you can give an A+. I think we're up there though. All the top spines have 3 great known quantities, with 1 other player that is potentially great but has a downside eg untested or inexperienced.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Seiffert82 wrote: January 30, 2020, 4:20 pm
zim wrote: January 30, 2020, 11:13 am From worst to best in the space of a year :woot:
Yeah, that's how much we can read into these things.

Potentially we could be very good, but on the other hand we have an NRL rookie halfback, and a couple of blokes who have essentially played one entire season in their respective positions.

Walters-Stuart-Daley-Belcher gets an A+. Not sure I'm quite as certain about this combo. :lol:
Yeah A+ is a stretch given Williams is an unknown commodity in both NRL and no7. Potentially and A+ but right now I'd say A or A-.

Last year our rating was based on a spine of:

1. Wighton
6. Sezer
7. S Williams
9. Hodgo

No way is that the worst spine but definitely in the lower 3rd.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Northern Raider wrote: January 30, 2020, 5:13 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: January 30, 2020, 4:20 pm
zim wrote: January 30, 2020, 11:13 am From worst to best in the space of a year :woot:
Yeah, that's how much we can read into these things.

Potentially we could be very good, but on the other hand we have an NRL rookie halfback, and a couple of blokes who have essentially played one entire season in their respective positions.

Walters-Stuart-Daley-Belcher gets an A+. Not sure I'm quite as certain about this combo. :lol:
Yeah A+ is a stretch given Williams is an unknown commodity in both NRL and no7. Potentially and A+ but right now I'd say A or A-.

Last year our rating was based on a spine of:

1. Wighton
6. Sezer
7. S Williams
9. Hodgo

No way is that the worst spine but definitely in the lower 3rd.
Yeah, the ratings are obviously biased by team performance from the previous year. Makes sense...I just think key players quite often tend to be over or under rated based on the quality of their supporting cast.

CNK is really good but has some room for improvement and Wighton had a breakout season, Williams is a complete unknown. There is no way our spine should get a rating that indicates it's almost impossible to be better. :lol:

Similarly last season, I didn't think our spine was one of the worst in the comp - but then again I thought Wighton at FB and Hodgo were two of the best players in their position. I also thought Sezer was solid and Williams was capable. Possibly over-rated those two, but my thoughts never really changed.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Swap in Teddy or RTS for CNK and a Cleary or DCE for G Williams and you have an A+ NRL spine.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yep.

The Roosters with a fit Tedesco, Keary, Cronk and Friend were the only A+ spine last season.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

GALLERY: Need for speed: The Canberra Raiders were put through a sprint session this week: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/01 ... for-speed/

Matt Timoko and Daine Spencer still with the top squad.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

MMM had an interview with TPJ. He was asked a question along the lines how tough has the pre-season been under Siebs .

His reply was its been tough , he had some tough preseasons with Ricky Stuart and this has been like that.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

greeneyed wrote:GALLERY: Need for speed: The Canberra Raiders were put through a sprint session this week: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/01 ... for-speed/

Matt Timoko and Daine Spencer still with the top squad.
is that Seb Kris in the Croker pic?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I don't think it is Seb Kris... I'm guessing Tom Starling. Bit hard to tell.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Its jarrett subloo
Vaccinated
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

cheers cat

Edrick The Entertainer
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

bonehead wrote: January 31, 2020, 9:02 pm cheers cat

No worries
Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Must have shaved his beard.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Yep
Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Pre-season 2020: Speed and Agility: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/01 ... d-agility/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ranking every club's goal-kicking stocks

5. Canberra Raiders
Jarrod Croker: 744/929, 80.1%
Sam Williams: 25/30, 83.3%
Last season the Raiders had a back-up kicker with a career percentage over 80%. This year with Aidan Sezer gone, there is no player in Canberra's best 17 who has ever kicked a goal other than captain Croker. Williams has never kicked other than a short stint in 2018 and will not be in the starting side unless one of the other halves is injured. Croker took every kick for the Green Machine in 2019 but had a down year by his standards, landing just under 74% – the fourth-worst overall percentage of the 16 clubs, which is why the Raiders are ranked below the Sea Eagles and Eels.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/02/ran ... ng-stocks/
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Last year most certainly wasn't one of Toots' best.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

some article wrote:there is no player in Canberra's best 17 who has ever kicked a goal other than captain Croker
Soliola begs to differ
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Time to justify the price tag: The star most under pressure at your NRL club in 2020

Raiders

Historically not many grand finalists improve after losing their halfback from the previous season, but Aidan Sezer’s departure has opened the door George Williams to fill the No.7 role full-time in 2020. The 25-year-old veteran of 184 games for Wigan comes highly regarded and will fit in well with Canberra’s English contingent both on and off the field. However halfback is such a crucial position and it will take time for Williams to strike up a combination with his new teammates.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 54864fdbef
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Williams helping Williams as Canberra Raiders cohesion builds

They are Raiders halfbacks with the same surname but one is likely to play the majority of first-grade games for Ricky Stuart's side this year – George Williams.

"I'll be helping George adapt a little bit to the team and the way we do things. I've been around for a little while so I understand the way this club works and our structures on the field," Sam Williams said. "I'm still fighting for a [starting] position so nothing changes there but I'm getting George up to speed as well."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/05/wil ... on-builds/

VIDEO: Sia Soliola ready to lead from the front again in 2020: Sia Soliola is looking to lead the Raiders' young forwards again in 2020. The prop has also expressed his desire to be in the mix for selection for the upcoming Perth Nines: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/02 ... n-in-2020/
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

greeneyed wrote: February 5, 2020, 2:01 pm Williams helping Williams as Canberra Raiders cohesion builds

They are Raiders halfbacks with the same surname but one is likely to play the majority of first-grade games for Ricky Stuart's side this year – George Williams.

"I'll be helping George adapt a little bit to the team and the way we do things. I've been around for a little while so I understand the way this club works and our structures on the field," Sam Williams said. "I'm still fighting for a [starting] position so nothing changes there but I'm getting George up to speed as well."

Sammy actually seems like he would transition well to a halves coach - its usually the ones who have to work their asses of that make the good coaches, not the ultra talented ones. See Joey vs Andrew Johns for example.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Coastalraider wrote: February 5, 2020, 2:08 pm
greeneyed wrote: February 5, 2020, 2:01 pm Williams helping Williams as Canberra Raiders cohesion builds

Sammy actually seems like he would transition well to a halves coach - its usually the ones who have to work their asses of that make the good coaches, not the ultra talented ones. See Joey vs Andrew Johns for example.
Ive heard it gets quite messy when joey goes up against andrew
Dont delete this GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders half Sam Williams and forward Sia Soliola speak about the disrupted pre season for the Green Machine. WIN News Canberra reports... http://ow.ly/G3Bv50ydTrC

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Wonder how the team are going while the air quality has again been quite poor over the last week or so, and if it's affecting training at all.

Obviously not anywhere near what it was in early Jan, but I wouldn't think it's healthy for the team to be doing intense training when the AQI is still 100+ during the day.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Forwards rater: Every NRL club’s engine room analysed and graded

Predicted pack: 8 Sia Soliola 9 Josh Hodgson 10 Josh Papalii 11 John Bateman 12 Elliott Whitehead 13 Joe Tapine

Experience: 729 NRL games

Rating: A+

Strength: Availability is a key strength for the Raiders with all but Josh Papalii’i ineligible to play State of Origin. That gives Ricky Stuart’s men a powerful advantage at a time of year where most powerhouse clubs are decimated by NSW and Queensland representation. English trio Hodgson, Bateman and Whitehead set the standards for the team and their hooker is up there with Cameron Smith and Damien Cook as one of the best rakes in the game. Papali’i was a colossus in 2019 for club, state and country and he leads the way every week for his fellow Raiders to follow.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 24f5741dbf
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Let's just get the footy on ****...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I actually think they've under-rated the Roosters, at least an A, and probably the Storm. Not sure the Rabbitohs are an A-.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

greeneyed wrote: February 6, 2020, 7:56 am I actually think they've under-rated the Roosters, at least an A, and probably the Storm. Not sure the Rabbitohs are an A-.
Agreed.

Ethan Lowe and Jaidan Su’a in the second row does not stack up as A-
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Better to rate them without the hooker (a spine player) and with bench forwards.

In which case Roosters are an A+ and I'd have us as an A-.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: February 6, 2020, 7:56 am I actually think they've under-rated the Roosters, at least an A, and probably the Storm. Not sure the Rabbitohs are an A-.
Agree. Rabbits pack looking thin at the moment.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I fail to see how a pack with Lodge, Haas, Fifita, and Pangai Jnr isn't an A, without even mentioning Ofahengaue on the bench.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

They got regularly reamed by the top packs throughout the year though. A- is generous.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Why Harley Smith-Shields is the Canberra Raiders rookie to watch in 2020

Named the 2019 Jersey Flegg Player of the Year, some unexpected circumstances have catapulted Harley Smith-Shields into centre contention for round one. Smith-Shields will compete with the likes of Michael Oldfield and Andre Niko for a backline spot if Scott becomes unavailable.

Smith-Shields made the leap to Canterbury Cup last year and held his own in seven games, averaging more than 100 metres and scoring six tries.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/07/you ... h-in-2020/
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Thats a pathetic attempt at talking up HSS
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

From me or NRL.com?