Re: Toughest preseason ever 2020

Post by The Nickman »

:lol: quality banter, lads
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders cancel training, consider relocating

The Canberra Raiders have cancelled Monday's training and are considering relocating to either northern NSW or Queensland. Their entire squad was due to assemble for the first time this pre-season, but that's been put on hold due to the smoke from the NSW bushfires.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

The Greenhouse Forum on Facebook

Canberra Raiders preseason training due to resume tomorrow... but cancelled due to the thick bushfire smoke in the nation’s capital, David Polkinghorne of the Canberra Times reports. Looking at a preseason camp elsewhere. #NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Season over.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

NRL plot to relocate the Raiders to the Sunshine coast

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Will probably put it on the salary cap
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Johno wrote: January 5, 2020, 1:17 pm Will probably put it on the salary cap
Presumably the football department cap... and the Raiders would surely have a good case to have it exempted.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Just another NRL plot to advantage the Broncos by having pre season when NSW and Vic are covered in smoke and fires.

I hear Nic and Bouris have installed a giant fan which keeps Coogee clear and cool.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

BadnMean wrote: I hear Nic and Bouris have installed a giant fan which keeps Coogee clear and cool.
I heard it’s the Roosters’ only fan.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

gangrenous wrote: January 5, 2020, 2:39 pm
BadnMean wrote: I hear Nic and Bouris have installed a giant fan which keeps Coogee clear and cool.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

BadnMean wrote: January 5, 2020, 3:54 pm
gangrenous wrote: January 5, 2020, 2:39 pm
Yep, pay that one.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders pre-season camp to avoid fire smoke NRL football department cap exempt

The NRL will likely grant the Canberra Raiders an exemption from the soft salary cap on football department spending for their pre-season camp to escape the smoke from the NSW bushfires. Canberra coach Ricky Stuart is investigating all the bases available at short notice, with Northern NSW and the Sunshine Coast two possible options.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

NRL community rallies to bushfire cause as Raiders forced to switch training: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/05/nrl ... -training/
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

haha, will likely?

**** off, you *****. The city is is choking.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Is this officially the toughest now?
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Botman wrote: January 5, 2020, 7:42 pm haha, will likely?

**** off, you ****. The city is is choking.
Can't we just give the camp a cushy office job for 360k a year? That seems to be all cool with the NRL.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@Super_Couch David Polkinghorne on Twitter

.@RaidersCanberra hoping to have travel plans locked in by lunch today. Maybe Sunny Coast for 10 days, potentially leaving Thursday. Players in the gym today - on the treadmills this arvo! #nrl

https://twitter.com/Super_Couch/status/ ... 8557916160
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders to relocate pre season training to the Sunshine Coast due to bushfire smoke

The Canberra Raiders are in the process of relocating their NRL squad for 10 days commencing this Thursday (January 9) to the Sunshine Coast in Queensland, to combat the hazardous conditions due to the bushfire smoke in Canberra.

The clubs top 30 will relocate for the 10-day camp, with the remaining members of the squad staying in Canberra and training at suitable indoor facilities.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/01 ... ire-smoke/

Canberra Raiders bushfire move to Queensland likely to get NRL football department cap exemption

Canberra's pre-season shift to Queensland due to bushfire smoke in the nation's capital is expected to be granted salary cap exemption by the NRL.

"Club doctors are the best placed to determine if conditions are safe to train in," an NRL spokesman said. "Naturally we would be sympathetic to any club who seeks an exemption to relocate training as a result of the bushfires."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/06/rai ... exemption/

Canberra Raiders off to Sunshine Coast to escape bushfire smoke: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

NRL grand finalists Canberra have joined the sporting exodus from the nation's smoke-choked capital, moving pre-season training to Queensland's Sunshine Coast: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/smoke-forc ... 894a8d9767
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

They can all stay at TR's new digs!
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I can't believe we're still talking "likely" and "expected to". It should be "confirmed". The boys can't train here. Yes, it's clear today, but it's expected to roll back in around 5-ish tomorrow.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

The Nickman wrote:They can all stay at TR's new digs!
he won't even notice them in the north wing

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Paul Crawley assesses each NRL club’s spine for season 2020

3RD CANBERRA RAIDERS

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
9. Josh Hodgson

CRAWLEY SAYS: I haven’t seen enough of Englishman Williams to say categorically he will be a success in the NRL. What I do know is that Ricky Stuart’s strike rate in respect to his Pommy recruits is top-notch. The big question will be how Williams combines with Wighton in the halves given both are natural runners and not organising playmakers. It probably means Hodgson will still run the team, and if he stays fit the Raiders will be heading for another big year. CNK was a revelation last year and should only get better.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... c6b82c4093
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He has the Roosters and Storm in the top two... their fan poll has the Roosters, Eels, sea Eagles and Rabbitohs in front of Canberra, then the Storm.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Who cares. The experts have no clue. I'm looking forward to seeing some new blood at the top of the tree this year, and I'm betting it will be us :D
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Azza wrote: January 7, 2020, 2:57 pm Who cares. The experts have no clue. I'm looking forward to seeing some new blood at the top of the tree this year, and I'm betting it will be us :D
That worries me, Azza.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Azza wrote: January 7, 2020, 2:57 pm Who cares. The experts have no clue. I'm looking forward to seeing some new blood at the top of the tree this year, and I'm betting it will be us :D
New Years resolution?
:o
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders to have open training session at Sunshine Coast Stadium

The Canberra Raiders are bringing their top 30 squad to the Stadium for pre-season training this week to escape hazardous conditions brought on by bushfire smoke in the nation’s capital.

The unexpected relocation of the 2019 NRL Grand Finalists' 10-day training camp is "to allow the playing group to prepare as best they can for the season without putting their health or safety at risk,” said Raiders CEO Don Furner.

And Sunshine Coast locals' hospitality in the face of the nations' ongoing bushfire crisis will be rewarded with an open training session and meet-and-greet with the team to be held during the camp.

Stay tuned for details of the open session as dates and times come to hand later this week.

Sunshine Coast Stadium Facebook Page: http://ow.ly/qpTM50xORyq
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders announce open training session on the Sunshine Coast to support bushfire relief

The Canberra Raiders in conjunction with the Sunshine Coast Council will open the gates of Sunshine Coast Stadium on Friday January 17, 10am-12pm with Raiders and rugby league fans encouraged to attend and donate to support ongoing bushfire relief.

“We’re hoping to see plenty of fans come along to our open training session next Friday to meet the team and hopefully raise some money for the ongoing efforts surrounding these terrible bushfires,” Jarrod Croker said.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/01 ... re-relief/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL power rankings: Paul Crawley assesses each club’s backline

3rd CANBERRA RAIDERS

1 Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2 Nick Cotric
3 Curtis Scott
4 Jarrod Croker
5 Bailey Simonsson
6 Jack Wighton
7 George Williams

CRAWLEY SAYS: For several seasons now the Raiders have possessed the NRL’s most dangerous attack but some big changes are coming in 2020. George Williams replaces Aidan Sezer at halfback while the ‘don’t-die-wondering’ Jordan Rapana/Joey Leilua right edge combination has been blown to smithereens.

Rapana has gone Japanese rugby while Leilua is fighting for his survival after the Raiders bought Curtis Scott from Melbourne. I don’t imagine Ricky Stuart signed Scott to play reserve grade, which means Leilua is going to need a huge preseason to convince his coach that his selection is non-negotiable. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Leilua end up at the Tigers playing alongside his younger brother Luciano early in the season. Canberra will still be a force in 2020.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... ec5fb271bf
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roosters and Eels rate first and second.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

That’s a very interesting comment coming from a Crawley about BJ, he usually has good Raiders mail (for obvious reasons)
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

He probably does have the mail but we've also heard both those things earlier in the process.
Mbye training at hooker as well so the tigers maybe opening up a spot for him? Though they have nothing at hooker to work with, so could very well be unrelated.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

zim wrote: January 8, 2020, 9:15 pm He probably does have the mail but we've also heard both those things earlier in the process.
Mbye training at hooker as well so the tigers maybe opening up a spot for him? Though they have nothing at hooker to work with, so could very well be unrelated.
I agree, my comment was more around the source than the news.

Rumours and common sense says we have too many centres, but Crawley mentioning the Tigers I think is new, and telling.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

If the Tigers miss out on Latrell, then you would think they would look for a strike player they could grab before the season starts.
There's not many clubs willing to give those up.
BJ and Bird spring to mind as options.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Coastalraider wrote: January 9, 2020, 7:19 am
zim wrote: January 8, 2020, 9:15 pm He probably does have the mail but we've also heard both those things earlier in the process.
I agree, my comment was more around the source than the news.

Rumours and common sense says we have too many centres, but Crawley mentioning the Tigers I think is new, and telling.
Not as far as I'm aware. There was mention of Joey heading to the Tigers when Luciano was on his way there. Before the Scott and Luciano signings were official and during the Latrell circus. Joey was mentioned as one of their other options.
It's certainly possible that both times it's coming from the same source and they are still working out a plan.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Tigers will stop at nothing to end the punish Joey repeatedly puts them through when he plays them...