Curtis Scott signs with Canberra Raiders to end 2023

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Curtis Scott signs with Canberra Raiders to end 2023

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders close in on major signing coup with Melbourne Storm centre Curtis Scott

The Raiders are on the verge of pulling off a major off-season coup by signing Curtis Scott. The Sunday Telegraph can reveal the strike Storm centre is poised to be granted a release from the final two years of his contract with Melbourne to link with Ricky Stuart and Canberra.

“There’s still some water flow yet,” coach Ricky Stuart said. “But the club had an in-depth meeting with Curtis and his manager about moving to the Raiders last week.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... b30c95ce34

Curtis Scott on the verge of offseason move from Melbourne Storm to Canberra Raiders: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 9ca5757fb9

Canberra Raiders move on Melbourne Storm centre Curtis Scott

The Canberra Raiders have moved to bolster their outside backs with coach Ricky Stuart meeting Melbourne Storm centre Curtis Scott.

"My job is to keep strengthening our squad and when I found out Curtis Scott was a chance of leaving Melbourne I was straight on the phone to his manager. I need to strengthen our outside backs."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Canberra Raiders reportedly set to sign Melbourne Storm star Curtis Scott: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/canberra-r ... 3a24de8068
julian87
Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders close in on major signing coup with Melbourne Storm centre Curtis Scott

Post by julian87 »

Christ I hope not
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders close in on major signing coup with Melbourne Storm centre Curtis Scott

Post by greeneyed »

Managed by Sam Ayoub... Storm won't stand in his way if he reaches agreement with Canberra... Raiders looking to bolster the backline with the departure of Jordan Rapana. Stuart wants to keep improving and wants competition for spots.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Happy with this but I hope it’s not a leilua replacement...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

The bloke reportedly has attitude problems but it’s not like Stuart hasn’t fixed that in players before.

Got some mongrel about him. He’d be a great addition to the team.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

This is great, if only that it’s clear we are not content to just roll out a similar top20 players and collect the trophy.

Curtis Scott is a very good centre with a high ceiling. It all comes down to value on the cap, but he would be a good acquisition.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The good thing about this signing is its for depth or at least not for a guaranteed starting spot. In years past it would've been a signing we hoped turned our fortunes around.

I also can't really question Mulholland and Stuart's scouting at this point.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Not sure where I stand with him. He's shown flashes of high class play. Struggles to back it up on a weekly basis. Also seems a bit of a loose unit.

If we sign him I hope he goes great. If not then so be it.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Great signing in my opinion.
We future proof ourselves in the centre position should BJ decide to leave.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Beejay wrote: November 16, 2019, 5:44 pm This is great, if only that it’s clear we are not content to just roll out a similar top20 players and collect the trophy.

Curtis Scott is a very good centre with a high ceiling. It all comes down to value on the cap, but he would be a good acquisition.
100% correct.
Value for money with high ceiling. Almost similar to when we first signed BJ from Newcastle.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

julian87 wrote:Christ I hope not
Why? I often agree with your opinion on players but I think Scott would be a pretty good signing. Instantly improves our chances against Manly because he WILL shutdown Walker.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I'd be happy with that

Ricky is a good judge of character

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Woah. I remember posting about this a few months ago saying this is the sort of player we should take a punt on IF we lost Beej... there is a lot of moving parts here and if this comes off you'd have to think Beej is out

But this could be a masterstroke or an absolute **** disaster. I always bet on upside. I like it.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Botman wrote: November 16, 2019, 6:31 pm Woah. I remember posting about this a few months ago saying this is the sort of player we should take a punt on IF we lost Beej... there is a lot of moving parts here and if this comes off you'd have to think Beej is out

But this could be a masterstroke or an absolute **** disaster. I always bet on upside. I like it.
Always bet on black.
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

No doubt Scott has potential but I am concerned that the Storm are willing to let him go in the same off season that they moved on from Chambers.

I struggle to think of a single player who has improved since moving on from the Storm. (Inglis Doesn’t count)

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

My first initial reaction is that it's unlikely BJ will be here in 2021, so if Scott performs like his ceiling suggests, would anyone disagree with

2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Scott
5. Simonsson

14. Leilua

BJ is big enough to play as a roving forward/runner. Imagine bringing him on with 20 to go in a tight game. Could win it for us (or lose it for us)...

I'm not neccessarily saying this should happen but if Scott's form is good enough and the writing is on the wall for BJ, having Scott in the centres long term makes a bit of sense.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I cant imagine we'd be bringing Curtis Scott here to play for Mounties. He can definitely get starting opportunties in the NRL elsewhere.
Im a gambler and a bad one at that, but if we signed Curtis Scott, i'd bet against Beej being at the Raiders in 2020.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

IBG wrote: November 16, 2019, 7:17 pm My first initial reaction is that it's unlikely BJ will be here in 2021, so if Scott performs like his ceiling suggests, would anyone disagree with

2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Scott
5. Simonsson

14. Leilua

BJ is big enough to play as a roving forward/runner. Imagine bringing him on with 20 to go in a tight game. Could win it for us (or lose it for us)...

I'm not neccessarily saying this should happen but if Scott's form is good enough and the writing is on the wall for BJ, having Scott in the centres long term makes a bit of sense.
Leilua is a top tier centre. Well and truly a rung above Croker and Scott.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I think it's either BJ going or Scott will be at #14 in the Simonsen type role.

BJ is better than Scott. But if we lose BJ, Scott is a much better pickup than Zac Lomax to strengthen our outside backs
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

gergreg wrote: November 16, 2019, 6:09 pm
Why? I often agree with your opinion on players but I think Scott would be a pretty good signing. Instantly improves our chances against Manly because he WILL shutdown Walker.

It's not just one reason but a few different things which makes me really not like it. I think he's a good player, but like most young Storm players, very over rated early in his career.

- Centre has definitely become the least important position in rugby league. You still want good players there but I think it's pretty clear you don't want to spend an excessive amount of salary cap there. I think it was more coincidence that the 2 grand finalists this year had the 2 best centre combos. The forward packs and certain aspects of each teams' spine made them 1 and 2 primarily IMO.

- Leilua to Scott is a definite downgrade for mine. If it is also a significant downgrade cap wise that's a fair trade off, if not then it's risky.

- Cotric had an up and down season. But I think he is a better player than Scott and although his time at right centre this year seemed patchy I think it is his best position down the track. Scott seems a rigid centre and with Croker, (Leilua) and Cotric (plus Kris and Oldfield as reserves) we don't need that IMO. I feel like this move could hem Cotric in as winger when it's time for him to move to the centres full time.

- I doubt Curtis Scott would be breaking away from Melbourne to take unders at Canberra. If he is go for it but he'd command decent dollars elsewhere. I simply think salary cap wise it would make more sense for a cheaper roll of the dice to fill the outside back quota and filter cap money elsewhere in the squad.

- This is a gross generalisation but signing players from Melbourne has generally produced let down after let down. They pretty much keep who they want. Blair, White, King, Hoffman, Proctor, Widdop to an extent, Glasby, Jacks and probably plenty of others have ended up as overpaid salary cap problems for their new clubs. Inglis and Cronk are exceptions but they're possible future immortals so I don't know if you count that. If they want Scott gone there'd be a pretty good reason for it considering they're losing Chambers as well.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

BadnMean wrote: November 16, 2019, 7:44 pm I think it's either BJ going or Scott will be at #14 in the Simonsen type role.

BJ is better than Scott. But if we lose BJ, Scott is a much better pickup than Zac Lomax to strengthen our outside backs
That entirely depends on how much you'd be paying them. If you could have Lomax for 230k but need to spend 600 for Scott I'd take Lomax every day of the week.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

julian87 wrote: November 16, 2019, 7:59 pm
BadnMean wrote: November 16, 2019, 7:44 pm I think it's either BJ going or Scott will be at #14 in the Simonsen type role.

That entirely depends on how much you'd be paying them. If you could have Lomax for 230k but need to spend 600 for Scott I'd take Lomax every day of the week.
True
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

julian87 wrote: November 16, 2019, 7:58 pm I feel like this move could hem Cotric in as winger when it's time for him to move to the centres full time.

I pushed this about a year or so ago but i've gone 180 on it now. Why do you think it's time for Cotric to move to centre fulltime?
He's one of the best wingers in the game, compliments Croker extremely well defensively. Is playing for his state and country at as a winger and as a centre only FLASHED the ability to be as good a centre as he is a winger.

To me, i think Cotric would benefit greatly from just focusing soley on being the best damn winger he can be, which is of far greater importance, position wise, than centre these days.

Cotric is a fantastic winger, good enough to play for NSW and Aus... at centre, with time he might one day be good enough... to play for NSW and Aus?
I dunno, maybe keep him on the wing.

*unrelated to Curtis Scott, just my thoughts on trying to get Cotric to centre.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I like Curtis Scott as a player but am unsure where he fits into our squad, especially with Leilua still appearing to be staying in 2020.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Botman wrote: November 16, 2019, 8:21 pm
julian87 wrote: November 16, 2019, 7:58 pm I feel like this move could hem Cotric in as winger when it's time for him to move to the centres full time.

I pushed this about a year or so ago but i've gone 180 on it now. Why do you think it's time for Cotric to move to centre fulltime?
He's one of the best wingers in the game, compliments Croker extremely well defensively. Is playing for his state and country at as a winger and as a centre only FLASHED the ability to be as good a centre as he is a winger.

To me, i think Cotric would benefit greatly from just focusing soley on being the best damn winger he can be, which is of far greater importance, position wise, than centre these days.

Cotric is a fantastic winger, good enough to play for NSW and Aus... at centre, with time he might one day be good enough... to play for NSW and Aus?
I dunno, maybe keep him on the wing.

*unrelated to Curtis Scott, just my thoughts on trying to get Cotric to centre.
Cotric is still 2 years younger than Scott. There's no rush on this.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yep, agreed... i dont discount the idea that Cotric might end up in centre one day... but whilst he's an aussie and nsw rep as a winger, and i dont know where the incentive is from club or player to make a move inside right now.

especially given winger is by far the more important position and the pays are basically on par now, with the wingers starting to trend towards outstripping centres. Mitchell is trying to get out of centre into fullback for good reason.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Wiki Special wrote:I like Curtis Scott as a player but am unsure where he fits into our squad, especially with Leilua still appearing to be staying in 2020.
Probably hinges on what happens with Foran

He gets retired, there's money to sign BJ and a half

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

julian87 wrote:
gergreg wrote: November 16, 2019, 6:09 pm

It's not just one reason but a few different things which makes me really not like it. I think he's a good player, but like most young Storm players, very over rated early in his career.

- Centre has definitely become the least important position in rugby league. You still want good players there but I think it's pretty clear you don't want to spend an excessive amount of salary cap there. I think it was more coincidence that the 2 grand finalists this year had the 2 best centre combos. The forward packs and certain aspects of each teams' spine made them 1 and 2 primarily IMO.

- Leilua to Scott is a definite downgrade for mine. If it is also a significant downgrade cap wise that's a fair trade off, if not then it's risky.

- Cotric had an up and down season. But I think he is a better player than Scott and although his time at right centre this year seemed patchy I think it is his best position down the track. Scott seems a rigid centre and with Croker, (Leilua) and Cotric (plus Kris and Oldfield as reserves) we don't need that IMO. I feel like this move could hem Cotric in as winger when it's time for him to move to the centres full time.

- I doubt Curtis Scott would be breaking away from Melbourne to take unders at Canberra. If he is go for it but he'd command decent dollars elsewhere. I simply think salary cap wise it would make more sense for a cheaper roll of the dice to fill the outside back quota and filter cap money elsewhere in the squad.

- This is a gross generalisation but signing players from Melbourne has generally produced let down after let down. They pretty much keep who they want. Blair, White, King, Hoffman, Proctor, Widdop to an extent, Glasby, Jacks and probably plenty of others have ended up as overpaid salary cap problems for their new clubs. Inglis and Cronk are exceptions but they're possible future immortals so I don't know if you count that. If they want Scott gone there'd be a pretty good reason for it considering they're losing Chambers as well.
Some great points there.

I keep coming back to BJs injury. IMO at the start of last year he was the best centre in the game, and despite the injury he came back strongly. But... he was shopped around and it appears as if there are no takers. Not one club is prepared to take the risk despite his great form.

Scott is the insurance policy, and there is plenty of potential there. I think he had a falling out with Smith more than Bellamy or the club itself.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Botman wrote:I cant imagine we'd be bringing Curtis Scott here to play for Mounties. He can definitely get starting opportunties in the NRL elsewhere.
Im a gambler and a bad one at that, but if we signed Curtis Scott, i'd bet against Beej being at the Raiders in 2020.
I’d think it’s more BJ not being apart of 2021, I feel the original discussions might have been about 2020 but with the Storm green lighting him to leave have moved things forward.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

julian87 wrote: November 16, 2019, 7:59 pm

$600k! :shock:

Nobody is paying Curtis Scott $600k a season.
EVH
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Albert Fulavai

Post by EVH »

The next Blake Ferguson...
Ah, might as well jump (Jump!) Might as well jump Go ahead an' jump (jump!) Go ahead and jump Ow oh, hey you! Who said that?
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Ive got to say i was really surprised by the reaction here. I thought this would be a signing that most would support. Like others have said, i reckon this is a sign that bj wont be here next year. Either that or sezers imminent departure has freed up some cap space.

I'll be honest and admit that i havent seen a lot of this kid but from what i have seen he is strikes me as a tough, defensive outside back. He can be loose, like when he king hit walker, which is why i reckon the storm are happy to let him go. But lets face it, discipline is not bjs strong point either. With the clubs renewed defensive focus i think this signing would make a lot of sense.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I think this article explains a lot. Had some mental health issues at the start of the year, i think there is another article which said something about a relationship breakdown with his partner in may 19. It appears he sees this as an opportunity to move closer to home without being in the sydney spotlight.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/i-hit- ... 52zr8.html
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

I guess now that we are all full up of backrowers we need to start stockpiling a different position.

I fee there is more to this than we know at this point in time. It doesn’t really make sense to be paying x3 starting centres, especially with Cotric, Kris and Oldy who can all fill in there if required. And the 3 starting centres in the books don’t really hold the right skills to push for wing spots either.

But #trustinsticky
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

A Curtis would be nice.

I don't think we've ever had a Curtis.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock: