Curtis Scott signs with Canberra Raiders to end 2023

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Curtis Scott signs with Canberra Raiders to end 2023

Post by Seiffert82 »

They are not going to reshuffle the entire 3/4 line for a season, before Leilua likely leaves. Maintaining combos in both attack in defence are so important.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

simo wrote: November 30, 2019, 2:30 pm
Beejay wrote: November 30, 2019, 11:23 am Croker is not a winger, my God. His strengths and weaknesses do not translate to being a winger in today’s NRL. He’s a good club centre and integral to our culture, just price him right and we’re set.

I think youre wrong. Saying the same thing over and over doesnt make it true. Croker does have the tools to be a great winger. Especially in this side.
Irony

Read that back to yourself
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Beejay wrote: November 30, 2019, 4:49 pm
simo wrote: November 30, 2019, 2:30 pm
Beejay wrote: November 30, 2019, 11:23 am Croker is not a winger, my God. His strengths and weaknesses do not translate to being a winger in today’s NRL. He’s a good club centre and integral to our culture, just price him right and we’re set.

I think youre wrong. Saying the same thing over and over doesnt make it true. Croker does have the tools to be a great winger. Especially in this side.
Irony

Read that back to yourself
Your boring, unimaginative views would have the raiders playing with wighton in the centres instead of the halves, papali still on an edge instead of being the best prop in the game and bateman still in england because we had tapine playing second row.
Im glad our coach has shown the ability to toy with these ideas (even if he doesnt make the change).
Dont delete this GE
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Check my post history and you’ll find you’re wrong on all counts.
Hardest, earliest on Papalli off the edge and into the middle.

https://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... 9#p1555949

Hard yes, on Wighton to 6 in 2018. Called for us to find a fullback not a 5/8. No one went harder than me that Wighton should be a 5/8 and defend in front line in 2018.
I repeatedly called for us to sign Barba that offseason (before he went to NQ ) which obviously wouldn’t have turned out well, but was the right option at the time on available evidence :D

Called for Tapine to be a middle forward.
Last edited by Beejay on December 1, 2019, 6:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Well with such a decorated history of foreseeing change, i struggle to see how you couldnt make a case for crokers skillset adapting and thriving on the wing
Dont delete this GE
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

BJ Mole wanted Paulo at halfback, Wighton on the Wing, BJ Leluia in the second row and Mitch Cornish at Prop.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

simo wrote: November 30, 2019, 6:22 pm Well with such a decorated history of foreseeing change, i struggle to see how you couldnt make a case for crokers skillset adapting and thriving on the wing
There’s plenty of things I have a difference of opinion with people on.
I didn’t think Whitehead was a 13, even though he had a couple of good games there. And I think Croker would be worse on the wing than he is a centre.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I agree with Beejay.
There is nothing about Croker's game that strikes me as being a good winger, other than his ability under the high ball.

And he's not going to play there either. As i've said for a long time, whatever people think of it, J.Croker is going to be playing centre, he's going to be the captain and he's going to be the face of the club.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Seiffert82 wrote: November 30, 2019, 10:44 am
simo wrote: November 30, 2019, 9:57 am
Seiffert82 wrote: November 30, 2019, 8:53 am I'm not entirely sure any coach would stand Leilua and Scott side by side and pick Scott at centre over Leilua.

Anyhoo, it will be interesting to see what Stuart does next season if our current squad stands. Cotric, Croker, Leilua, Scott, Simonsson and Oldfield provides excellent depth, particularly with Kris and HSS coming through the ranks. Sounds like we're still keen to get Rapana back too.
I wonder what coaches decisions would be if you stood croker and scott side by side and asked the same q. Croker outside bj might have some positives
Pretty sure when the club gave Leilua permission to look elsewhere, Ricky Stuart made his decision pretty clear.

Both Leilua and Scott are right hand centres. That's the choice Stuart has to make.
100% spot on.
I still think this situation will resolve itself naturally. For better or worse.

And with Jordy Raps out of the line up, i've posted about my thoughts on Beej and potential deminishing returns on that. I'd still bet on beej for 2020, 1000% of the time. All in... but i recognise there is a discussion to take place and reasonable people might come to a different conclusion to me on that
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

BJ is a powerhouse and I love him. He is a loose cannon and will not make the right decision every time (like throwing a pass to Rapana to win us the GF!). But you don't hold the against him because the positives outweigh the negatives. I still think he is the best centre in the game when coming out of your own end.

But I can see the rationale for letting him go for Scott. BJ is overpriced because we signed him when we were a 2nd string side. And in some ways he is the last piece of the loose cannon side that requires replacing. We now have a much more disciplined side. Our style has changed.
KasparRaider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine

Post by KasparRaider »

a bit off the topic...but who will be the back up goal kicker now Sezer has gone?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

George Williams can kick, not a regular kicker though in England.

Sam Williams, of course, is also a kicker.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

KasparRaider wrote: December 1, 2019, 8:35 am a bit off the topic...but who will be the back up goal kicker now Sezer has gone?
Good question, i cant think of any players currently in the line up who have even attempted a shot at goal in FG...
I guess it'll be an open competition for the back up role.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: December 1, 2019, 8:54 am
KasparRaider wrote: December 1, 2019, 8:35 am a bit off the topic...but who will be the back up goal kicker now Sezer has gone?
Good question, i cant think of any players currently in the line up who have even attempted a shot at goal in FG...
I guess it'll be an open competition for the back up role.
Sia Soliola kicked one this year.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

:lol: Problem solved!
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Rapana was a handy back up goal kicker too.

I think backups will be
S. Williams (if playing)
G. Williams
N. Cotric

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

John Bateman could probably kick goals over the black dot, left footed, blindfolded whilst answering questions from the Chase.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

BJ wrote: December 1, 2019, 7:07 pm John Bateman could probably kick goals over the black dot, left footed, blindfolded whilst answering questions from the Chase.
There are some people who actually believe that John Bateman's **** is actually pure white and has no smell whatsoever. And i can believe it
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

BJ wrote: December 1, 2019, 7:07 pm John Bateman could probably kick goals over the black dot, left footed, blindfolded whilst answering questions from the Chase.
I imagine he's in Rick's ear right now pesting him to be allowed into the kick off for back up duties comp. Who am I kidding, he shows up anyway.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote: November 30, 2019, 9:36 am It's almost like we've developed our own sombrero.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
That's what the fans of other clubs will start to say about us.

With sustained success comes great jealousy.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Curtis Scott: The first interview: Curtis Scott has spoken for the first time as a Canberra Raiders player. Hear from the young outside back after he arrived into Raiders HQ earlier this morning: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/12 ... interview/
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Did he like, get instantly better looking after putting on those colours? I think so.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Curtis Scott says Canberra Raiders can give him an NRL fresh start

Curtis Scott has to learn everyone's name and how to share accommodation with school children in his temporary home at the AIS before he can start thinking about what position he'll play to at his new NRL home.

"I missed 12 or 14 weeks this year, it was a bit frustrating and then I got injured in the Prime Minister's game as well," Scott said. "This is a fresh start for me. I'm looking forward to the future and I'm excited about it. It gets frustrating when you put your heart and soul into rugby league and then you get niggling injuries.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

VIDEO: Raiders recruit Curtis Scott is excited for the new challenge at Canberra and the potential for joining powerhouse Joseph Leilua in the centres: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/12/03/sco ... inst-them/

VIDEO: Curtis Scott: The first interview: Curtis Scott has spoken for the first time as a Canberra Raiders player. Hear from the young outside back after he arrived into Raiders HQ earlier this morning: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/12 ... interview/

VIDEO: Scott: It's exciting, I feel like I'm on my year 6 camp! https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/12 ... ar-6-camp/

VIDEO: I was sick of running into them so I'm glad I've joined them: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/12 ... ined-them/

VIDEO: Scott reveals how Stuart convinced him to join the Raiders: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/12 ... e-raiders/
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Being in front of the camera isnt is go.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Matt wrote: December 3, 2019, 1:24 pm Being in front of the camera isnt is go.
:shock: :?:
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Not sure what matt is after. Seemed fine to me. Has he already penciled him in for losses in Matt's Matchups?
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Looks like he actually wants to be here, which you couldn’t say about some in the past.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

The way he talked up our team was sooooo corp line it was awful. BS he thinks we are the toughest team he faced in his career.
He even had to think about where he came from.
He may have just been nervous in a new place, with new journo faces in front of him, and I get that not all players are that articulate, but the guy sounded like a deer in headlights.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I thought he was pretty good... had a good joke about staying at the AIS with the school kids and visiting Questacon. I enjoyed the two interviews.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Matt wrote:The way he talked up our team was sooooo corp line it was awful. BS he thinks we are the toughest team he faced in his career.
He may have just been nervous in a new place, with new journo faces in front of him, and I get that not all players are that articulate, but the guy sounded like a deer in headlights.
Yeah righto Karl Stefanovic

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I thought he did OK. Looking forward to seeing what he can do on the field. He certainly appears to be pretty motivated to do well.
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

Geez harsh, Matt
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Matt wrote: December 3, 2019, 1:48 pm The way he talked up our team was sooooo corp line it was awful. BS he thinks we are the toughest team he faced in his career.
He did that thing all shire people do where they think about going to the effort of explaining where they are actually from and then after the puzzled look adding that it's near Cronulla, or just saying "Cronulla bro."
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

God, Matt just teeing off on poor Curtis here, isnt he?
Ugly scenes

No idea why Matt hates him so much but i think he'll be a really good addition to the team